My Dog Skip
我的小狗斯齐普
Memory is a funny thing.
回忆是个有趣的东西
Recollections slip in and out and around in time
记忆的碎片在脑海中时隐时现, 缭绕徘徊
leaving plenty of room to weave and backtrack
留下充足的空间供你回想与品位
and drift and glide.
让思绪信马由缰
In my life, I’ve found that
在我的生活里, 我发现
memories of the spirit linger and sweeten
留在心灵上的记忆
long after memories of the brain have faded.
在大脑记忆早已消失后却变的不能忘却和更加甜蜜
My fondest memories are of my childhood days
我最爱回忆的是我的同年时代
back in Yazoo, Mississippi.
那是在密西西比的亚苏
I can still see the town now.
我仍然清晰的记得那个镇子
Ten thousand souls, and nothing doing.
镇上有1万人, 他们过着平静的生活
Where the old men sat drowsily in straw-bottom chairs
老人们悠闲的坐在凳子上
watching the big cars with out-of-state plates whip by.
看着外地的大车呼啸而过
Drivers hardly knowing
司机们几乎不知道
and certainly not caring what place this was.
当然也不关心这是什么地方
There was a war going on then.
当时还有一场战争
And it touched our lives every day.
它时时干扰着我们的生活
War, President Roosevelt reminded us
战争, 罗斯福总统号♥召我们
required everybody to make sacrifices. And boy, we did.
要求每个人都做出牺牲, 天啊, 我们做了
The cotton grew tall that year, the summer of 1942
1942年的夏天, 棉花长的很高
but I sure didn’t.
但我是个例外
Matter of fact, I stayed so small and puny
因为实际上, 我还很小, 很弱
I was a target for the neighborhood bullies.
简直就是邻里欺辱的最佳对象
Fortunately, I lived next door to Dink Jenkins
但幸运的是, 我住在丁克 詹金斯的隔壁
Yazoo’s best athlete and favorite son.
他是亚苏最好的运动员和最受喜爱的孩子
Dink?
丁克?
Where do you think they’ll send you?
他们会派你去哪儿?
Probably Fort Benning for basic, then overseas, I reckon.
可能先到本宁堡军训, 然后去海外, 我猜的
How long will you be gone?
你要去多久?
That’s hard to say.
这很难说
If you’re not home, who will show me how to throw a curve ball?
要是你不在家,谁来教我打弧圈球啊?
You promised to show me.
你答应过我的
Partner, you’re gonna do just fine.
伙计, 这你用不着担心
While I’m gone, you’ll make friends your own age
我不在的时候, 你肯定能找到同龄朋友
and who knows, you might even meet a girl.
说不定, 还能交上个女朋友
Will!
威利!
Suppertime!
吃饭了!
This was a time of large families.
那时候都是大家庭
Four or five kids, sometimes more.
家里孩子四或五个, 有的还更多
So needless to say, ours was already unusual
显然不用我多说, 我们家很不寻常
what with me being the only child.
家里只有我一个孩子
My mother was lively and talkative.
我的母亲开朗健谈
Certainly didn’t fit the housewife mold.
显然不具备家庭主妇的气质
And my daddy
我的父亲
Well, my daddy was stern and overbearing.
他么, 我的父亲很严厉而且专横
He was a war veteran and had lost his leg in battle.
他是个老兵, 在战场上失去了一条腿
And from most accounts, it changed him.
大多数人觉得, 回来后他变了
Sometimes it seemed that along with that leg
和那条腿一起丢失的
he’d also lost a piece of his heart.
好像还有他心中的一点儿阳光
You know I.C.? Colored fellow at the service station?
你认识I.C.么? 那个加油站的黑人?
Sure.
当然
His son came back from Europe today Wonderful.
他儿子今天从欧洲回来了
In a box.
是骨灰盒
Somebody around here’s gonna be having a birthday pretty soon.
我们家里很快就要有人过生日了
You been thinking about how you want to celebrate?
你有没有想过该怎么庆祝才好?
A party maybe?
开个晚会?
Will, your mother asked you a question.
威利, 你妈妈问你问题呢?
Stop. You’re lucky to have that food, with the rationing.
别玩碗里的食物. 你够幸运的了. 还有定额口粮
Would you like a party?
你到底想不想开生日聚会?
I guess.
想吧
I picked these up today at Carr’s drugstore.
这是我今天在卡尔杂货店买♥♥的
Invitations?
是请柬?
You can’t very well have a party without guests, now can you?
没有客人怎么能叫聚会呢, 对么?
After supper, you fill them out and give them to your friends tomorrow.
吃过饭就填, 明天到学校发给你的朋友们
Like who?
请谁呢?
What about John Abner?
请约翰 艾布纳怎么样?
He’s 5. He still wets his pants.
他才五岁. 还在尿裤子呢
There are plenty of children who would love to attend your party.
我相信有很多孩子都愿意参加你的聚会
Your mother went to a lot of trouble to get invitations.
你妈妈费了很大劲儿才弄来这些请柬
And you will fill them out.
请你把它们填好
Can I be excused?
我可以走了么?
Yes, you may.
你走吧
Don’t forget your invitations.
别忘了你的请柬
What are we gonna do?
有什么好办法?
He’s gonna be so lonely without Dink.
丁克走后威利会觉得很孤独
Maybe we should reconsider what we talked about before.
也许我们应该重新考虑我们以前曾经谈到过的
Absolutely not. We’ve been over this already.
绝对不行. 我们已经说好了
It is not a good idea. Not for Will, not now.
这不是个好主意. 不适合威利, 现在不行
He is still too young.
他年纪还太小
Y’all be careful All right, we will!
你们小心点儿
Hey, you wait for us!
嘿, 你们等着我们!
Smile.
笑一笑
You take care, you hear?
小心点儿, 听到了么?
Come on, Jenkins!
走吧, 詹金斯!
Can’t keep old Adolf a-waitin’ !
别让希♥特♥勒♥等急了!
Fellas, y’all want to come?
伙计, 想和我一起走么?
We was wondering…
我们想…
We wanted you to sign our football.
我们想让你在球上签名
You know, as a souvenir.
你知道, 做个纪念
All right.
好的
Beside Slingin’ Sammy Baugh.
在弹弓萨米鲍旁边
His name came with the ball.
他的名字就在球上
This might be a little soon, don’t you think?
你们不觉得我签名有点儿太早了么?
I ain’t even played college ball yet.
我还没在校队出名呢
Jenkins, come on. Let’s go!
詹金斯, 快点儿. 快走吧!
Thanks, Dink Let me see!
谢谢, 丁克
Willie-boy, aren’t you gonna wish me luck?
威利小朋友, 你不想祝我走运么?
Y’all give me a second, okay?
再给我一秒钟, 行么?
What’s the matter?
怎么了?
When I get back, I’ll show you how to throw that curve ball.
等我回来, 我扔个弧圈球给你看
Really?
真的?
Shoot, yeah, really. Don’t forget to write me.
真的, 当然是真的. 别忘了给我写信
Give the letters to my mama. She’ll send them.
写好了交给妈妈. 她知道怎么寄
I want you to tell me everything that happens around here, okay?
我想让你告诉我这里发生的一切, 好么?
Don’t leave nothing out.
什么也别漏掉
All right?
行么?
This is mine.
这是我的
I hope it’ll mean something to you.
希望能对你有用
You didn’t think I’d forget your birthday, did you?
你不会以为我忘了你的生日吧?
Thanks, Dink.
谢谢, 丁克
I’ll see you.
再见
See you!
再见!
Good luck!
祝你好运!
Here we go now!
我们走吧!
Bye-bye, ladies!
再见, 女士们!
Twenty-four, 32, hut, hut!
24, 32, 开始, 开始!
Pass it. Here, I’m open!
传给我. 我这儿没人!
Hon.
啊
Hon?!
啊?!
Goofball can’t even catch!
傻瓜, 连球都接不住!
Time to come in.
该回家了
Why didn’t you catch it, you big titty-baby?
你怎么不接球啊, 痴呆的小娃娃?
Let me see it.
让我看看
I can’t believe that titty-baby lives right next door to Dink Jenkins.
真不敢相信, 小家伙竟然就住在丁克 詹金斯隔壁
What a waste!
真是遗憾!
Here, let me help you.
来, 我来帮你
They say this is what all the dapper young men in Memphis are wearing.
我听说这就是孟菲斯时尚青年戴的
Thank you, Grandma.
谢谢你, 奶奶
Huck Finn! Thank you, Grandpa!
小鬼闯天关! 谢谢你, 爷爷!