对不起 但有一事我不明白
Yeah, I’m sorry. Yeah, there’s just one thing.
您是怎么
How did you…
知道雷切特的真实身份的呢
…figure out Ratchett’s identity?
从他包厢里的一封信上看出来的
By a message found in his compartment.
但我跟您说过 他总是把信烧了
He’d have burnt that, though, as I told you.
他是烧了
He did.
他是烧了
Yeah, he did.
-那您是怎么知道的 -帽匣帮了大忙
-Then how did you decipher? -With the help of a hatbox.
谢谢 麦奎恩先生
Thank you, Mr. McQueen.
是他干的 他杀了卡塞蒂
He did it. He murdered Cassetti.
实际上他等于招供了
He practically confessed as much.
不 心理学上讲不通
No, the psychology is wrong.
一个敏感且自幼丧母的男孩强烈地爱着
A sensitive, motherless boy conceives a passion for a lady
一位他所崇拜的温柔的女性
whom he admires above all for her gentleness.
持有这种崇拜的麦奎恩先生
Now, could McQueen, admiring the gentleness,
怎么会在犯下这肮脏谋杀的同时
commit so foul a murder without betraying the gentleness
仍葆有着对他神仙教母的温柔崇拜呢
of what we might call his fairy godmother?
教母
Godmother.
您无意中说出了很关键的东西
Now you have accidentally said something valuable.
进来
Come.
贝多斯先生 这并不是审问 只是侦讯罢了
Mr. Beddoes, this is not an inquisition, only an inquiry.
您昨晚9点40分左右给雷切特先生
When you took Mr. Ratchett his valerian drops
送缬草镇静剂时 他上♥床♥了吗
about 9:40 yesterday evening, was he already in bed?
是的 先生 雷切特先生在火车上总是睡得很早
That is so, sir. Mr. Ratchett always retired early on trains.
他睡前您需要做哪些工作
What were your duties before leaving him for the night?
把镇静剂放在他够得着的地方 先生
To place the valerian drops within reach, sir.
-贝多斯 -先生
-Beddoes. -Sir?
这是你晚餐时放我桌上的吗
Did you put this on my table during dinner?
-不是 先生 -那是谁干的
-No, sir. -Then who the hell did?
我不知道 先生
I have no idea, sir.
我能问问那是什么吗
May I ask what it is?
不该知道的事不要多问
What it is, is none of your damn business.
我只想知道它是怎么来的
I wanna know how it got here.
-您还有别的吩咐吗 先生 -当然有
-Will there be anything more, sir? -There will.
告诉麦奎恩先生我要见他 马上
Tell Mr. McQueen I wanna see him, now.
好的 先生
Very well, sir.
您想明早什么时候叫醒您 先生
At what time would you like to be called in the morning, sir?
10点以后吧
Not before 10.
好的 先生
Very good, sir.
-一切都和平时一样么 -算是的 先生
-Was that usual? -Oh, quite, sir, yes.
他早餐只喝点琥珀之月
His breakfast was his amber moon.
等感到精力充沛时才起床
He never rose until it had had its full effect.
您通知完麦奎恩先生
So you instructed Mr. McQueen
就回自己包厢了
and then returned to your own compartment,
包厢是1号♥和2号♥铺
the number one and two,
上铺是福斯卡雷里先生[意大利语] 对吗
whose upper berth was occupied by Signor Foscarelli.
是的 先生 那位意大利人
Oh, yes, sir, the Italian person.
-他说英语 -算是吧 先生
-Does he speak English? -A kind of English, sir.
我想他是在一个叫芝加哥的地方学的
I think he learned it in a place called Chicago.
你们常聊天吗
Did you talk together much?
不 先生 我更喜欢读书
Oh, no, sir. I prefer to read.
您读什么书呢 贝多斯先生
Hey, what are you reading, Mr. Beddoes?
《爱的俘虏》 阿♥拉♥贝拉·里查森太太写的
Love’s Captive, by Mrs. Arabella Richardson.
是描写性♥爱♥的吗[谐音为”现在是6点左右吗”]
Is it about sex?
不 是10点半左右 福斯卡雷里先生
No, it’s about 10:30, Mr. Foscarelli.
答得真好”是10点半左右”
I like that. “It’s about 10:30.”
-那之后您睡了 -没有 先生
-And after that you went to sleep. -Oh, no, sir.
我直到凌晨4点才睡着 很不幸 我牙疼得厉害
Not until 4 in the morning. Unfortunately, I had the toothache.
-您的室友呢 -他鼾声一直没断
-And your companion? -He snored incessantly.
最后一个问题 您是怎么被雷切特先生聘用的呢
One final point. How did you come to be employed by Mr. Ratchett?
通过麦鲍姆斯 纽约一家大型中介公♥司♥
Through Maibaums, sir, the big agency in New York.
那儿能查到我的记录
You’ll find me on their books.
在那之前呢
And before then?
我在军队里当兵 先生
I was in the army, sir, as a private soldier.
-哪里 -特伦 先生
-Where? -Troon, sir.
特伦 英国南艾尔郡的一个小镇
-在远东 -哦 不 在苏格兰
-In the Far East? -Oh, no, sir, in Scotland.
哦 苏格兰
Oh, Scotland.
请原谅 我只是个见闻不广的比利时人
Oh, forgive me. I am only an ignorant Belgian.
比利时人吗 先生 我一直以为您是法国人
Oh, a Belgian, sir? I always thought you were French.
比利时人
Belgian.
您知道雷切特先生是意大利血统吗
Did you know that Mr. Ratchett was of Italian extraction?
哦 怪不得他脾气这么暴躁
So that accounts for his hot temper.
他的真名是卡塞蒂
His real name was Cassetti.
有没有联想起什么事儿
The name means nothing to you?
您记得阿姆斯特朗案件吗
Do you remember the Armstrong case?
不记得 哦 记得 记得
No, sir. Oh, yes, yes.
那个小女孩
The little girl.
卡塞蒂是杀害她的元凶
Cassetti was responsible for her murder.
-现在您怎么想呢 -我经常想 先生
-How does that strike you? -I have often thought, sir,
与其让东家要求我们背景清楚
that instead of our employers requiring references from us,
更应该让我们了解东家的身世才对
we should require references from them.
谢谢您 贝多斯先生
Thank you, Mr. Beddoes.
请别站起来 先生 还有什么要问的吗
Oh, please don’t get up, sir. Will there be anything else?
没有 行了
No, that is all.
就是他 管家干的
He did it. The butler did it.
他经常和雷切特接近
He had constant access to Ratchett.
他可以亲手在镇静剂里下毒
He himself could have poisoned the valerian
然后再拿给他主人喝
before bringing it to his master.
动机呢
As for the psychological,
天知道那件浆硬的管家外衣下
well, who knows what boils and bubbles beneath that stiff shirt
隐藏了多少忍♥气吞身的职业怨恨
to which his profession has called him.
他不是在看《爱的俘虏》吗
Did he not read Love’s Captive?
所以您就断定是他捅了雷切特先生
At a time when you suggest he should have been stabbing Mr. Ratchett?
我恐怕援助就快到了
I fear that help is at hand.
即使只是一支带着镐和铲的工人小队
Even if it is only a working party with picks and shovels,
我们千万要在抵达布罗德之前完成侦讯
we must make haste to complete this inquiry before we reach Brod.
万一是辆铲雪车 就真的麻烦了
If it is an engine with a snowplow, our troubles will really begin.
-下一个是谁 -赫伯德太太
-Who’s next? -Mrs. Hubbard.
哦 我的上帝
Oh, my God.
太太 那声汽笛说明救援就快到了 太太
The whistle means that help is near, Madame.
-来得正是时候 -分秒必争 赫伯德太太
-And high time too. -Time is what counts, Mrs. Hubbard,
我们得在抵达布罗德前问完话
if we are to complete this inquiry before reaching Brod.
那我就简要地问
I will therefore make my questions
希望您答得越简单越好
as brief as I hope you will make your answers,
您越是简单地回答”是”或”不是”
and the more often you can confine yourself
对我们越有利
to a simple yes or no, the better.
好 别浪费时间了 问吧
Well, don’t waste time yammering, begin.
您的全名是哈丽特·贝琳达·赫伯德吗
Your full name is Harriet Belinda Hubbard?
是的 哈丽特是以我的
Yes. I was called Harriet after my…
这会儿 麦奎恩先生肯定已经告诉过您
By now, Mr. McQueen has doubtless informed you
雷切特先生的真实身份了
of the true identity of Mr. Ratchett?
是的 那个声名狼藉的卑鄙
Yes, that low-down, stinking…
您认识阿姆斯特朗一家吗
Were you acquainted with the Armstrongs?
不 当然不熟 他们是名门望族 至少
No, of course not. They were a very social family. Anyway…
赫伯德太太 我无意中听到您对皮埃尔说
Mrs. Hubbard, I overheard the whole of your conversation with Pierre
谋杀当晚 刚过凌晨1点
about there being a man in your room soon after 1:00
您包厢里有个男人 请回忆一下
on the night of the murder. Tell me one thing more.
睡觉前您包厢通向雷切特先生包厢的隔门
Wasn’t the door locked on your side of the door
在您这一边的插销插上了吗
that communicated with Mr. Ratchett’s compartment when you went to bed?
据我所知插上了 我的第二任丈夫
Yes, so far as I know. My second husband…
什么叫”据我所知”
What do you mean, as far as you know?
您从床上看不到插销么
Could you not see the bolt from the bed?
-看不到 -为什么
-No. -Why?
它被我挂在门拉手上的化妆包给遮住了
It was masked by my makeup bag on the hook above.
在我按铃叫来皮埃尔 告诉他我包厢里
Pierre checked the bolt after I rang my bell
有个男人后 皮埃尔检查了插销
and told him there had been a man hiding in my compartment.
好的 好的 这些我们都知道了
Yes, yes, we know all about that.
哦 不 您不知道
Oh, no, you don’t.
您说什么
I beg your pardon.
您一定猜不到我今早发现了什么

你的评论可以尖锐,也可以湿疣!