我要躲到花♥园♥去
I will hide me in the arbor.
来,听音乐吧?
Come, shall we hear this music?
好的,殿下
Yea, my good lord.
过来,里昂纳多
Come hither, Leonato.
你今天跟我说什么?
What was it you told me of to-day,
你侄女碧翠丝 和班尼迪克先生相爱了?
that your niece Beatrice was in love with Signior Benedick?
想不到那位小姐会爱上别人
I did never think that lady would have loved any man.
我也没想到
No, nor I neither,
尤其想不到她竟对 班尼迪克先生一往情深
but most wonderful that she should so dote on Signior Benedick,
外表看她好像一直憎恶他
whom she hath in all outward behaviors seemed ever to abhor.
这可能吗?这刮得是哪阵风?
Is’t possible? Sits the wind in that corner?
真的,殿下 我不知道怎么说才好
By my troth, my lord, I cannot tell what to think of it
但她爱他爱到发狂一般 简直令人难以想象
but that she loves him with an enraged affection. It is past the infinite of thought.
你们的话让我诧异
You amaze me.
我以为按她的性格
I would have thought her spirit was
不会被任何爱情所摧毁
invincible against all assaults of affection.
我可以赌咒发誓说不会
I would have sworn it had, my lord,
尤其对班尼迪克
especially against Benedick.
她可曾向班尼迪克表白心曲?
Hath she made her affection known to Benedick?
没有,她发誓永远不说 这正是她的痛苦
No, and swears she never will, that is her torment.
确实如此,所以你女儿这样说:
‘Tis true, indeed, so your daughter says, “Shall I”
“我常对他冷嘲热讽
she says, “that so oft encountered him
如今怎好写信说我爱他?”
with scorn, write to him that I love him?”
她责骂自己,不该如此不知羞耻
O, she railed at herself, that she should be so immodest
明知会受嘲笑,却还给他写信
to write to one that she knew would flout her.
“以我的脾气推想他
“I measure him,” says she, “by my own spirit,
“如给我写信,我定会嘲笑他
“for I should flout him, if he writ to me.
“即使爱他,还是会嘲笑”
“Yea, though I love him, I should.”
她随后跪在地上
Then down upon her knees she falls,
哭泣、哽咽,捶打胸膛
weeps, sobs, beats her heart,
揪头发、祈祷、诅咒
tears her hair, prays, curses,
“哦,亲爱的班尼迪克! 上帝给我忍♥耐吧!”
“O, sweet, Benedick! God give me patience!”
但愿她将这番痴情寄托于我
I would she had bestowed this dotage on me.
我会抛弃一切顾虑 让她成为我的一半
I would have daffed all other respects and made her half myself.
请将这话告诉班尼迪克 听他怎么说
I pray you, tell Benedick of it, and hear what he will say.
这样好吗?
Were it good, think you?
希罗认为自己早晚会死,她说
Hero thinks surely she will die,
如果他不爱她,她会死
for she says she will die if he love her not,
可她宁死也不愿让他知道自己的爱
and she will die, ere she make her love known,
如果向她求婚,她宁死也不愿 将平日的倔强改变一分
and she will die if he woo her, rather than she will bate one breath of her accustomed crossness.
她做得对
She doth well.
如果她奉上一片柔情
If she should make tender of her love
多半会遭他鄙夷
’tis very possible he’ll scorn it,
因为你们都知道,这个人脾气傲慢
for the man, as you know all, hath a contemptible spirit.
他是个很英俊的人
He is a very proper man.
他确实有着很好的仪表
He hath indeed a good outward happiness.
当上帝的面,我认为他很聪明
Before God! And, in my mind, very wise.
他确有几分机智风趣
He doth indeed show some sparks that are like wit.
我很同情你的侄女
Well, I’m sorry for your niece.
我很喜欢班尼迪克
I love Benedick well, and I could wish
希望他能谦虚地反省自己
he would modestly examine himself,
看自己有多配不上 这样一位好姑娘
to see how much he is unworthy so good a lady.
殿下,咱们走吧,晚餐已备好
My lord, will you walk? Dinner is ready.
这不会是诡计 他们的谈话严肃认真
This can be no trick. The conference was sadly borne.
那些话是从希罗那儿听来的
They have the truth of this from Hero.
她爱我?
Love me?
我一定要报答她才是
Why, it must be requited.
听到他们如何批评我
I hear how I am censured.
他们说,如果得知她爱我
They say I will bear myself proudly,
我一定会摆架子
if I perceive the love come from her.
还说,她宁愿死
They say too that she will rather die
也不愿表白她的爱
than give any sign of affection.
我从没想过要结婚
I did never think to marry.
我一定不能摆架子
I must not seem proud.
听别人揭自己的短 能改过自新,才是幸福的
Happy are they that hear their detractions and can put them to mending.
他们说那姑娘很漂亮
They say the lady is fair,
确实这样,我可以证明
’tis a truth, I can bear them witness.
说她品行端正 也是事实,我不能否认
And virtuous, ’tis so, I cannot reprove it.
说她除了爱上我 别的方面都很聪明
And wise, but for loving me.
其实,虽不能因这件事 证明她聪明
By my troth, it is no addition to her wit,
但也不能反证她愚蠢
nor no great argument of her folly,
因为我将会为她神魂颠倒!
for I will be horribly in love with her!
可能我会因为这样
I may chance have some odd quirks
受到人们的冷嘲热讽
and remnants of wit broken on me,
因为我一向讥笑结婚无聊
because I have railed so long against marriage.
但人们的口味不会改变吗?
But doth not the appetite alter?
人们年轻时爱吃肉
A man loves the meat in his youth
年老时却会无法消受
that he cannot endure in his age.
俏皮话,讥讽语 无关痛痒的唇枪舌剑
Shall quips and sentences and these paper bullets of the brain
能阻止人追求兴之所至吗?
awe a man from the career of his humor?
不,这世界必须生生相惜
No, the world must be peopled.
我说我会终生单身
When I said I would die a bachelor,
没想到会活到结婚这天
I did not think I should live till I were married.
那是碧翠丝
Here comes Beatrice.
老天在上,她是位漂亮姑娘
By this day. She’s a fair lady.
我确实看出她有爱我的迹象
I do spy some marks of love in her.
这不是我的本意 我奉命来请你用餐
Against my will I am sent to bid you come in to dinner.
美丽的碧翠丝,辛苦了,谢谢你
Fair Beatrice, I thank you for your pains.
我没什么辛苦领受你的谢意
I took no more pains for those thanks
就像你的谢意并没有辛苦你
than you take pains to thank me.
如果辛苦,我也不会来
If it had been painful, I would not have come.
那你很高兴来叫我吗?
You take pleasure then in the message?
是的,先生
Yea, signior,
那高兴只有你用刀尖挑起的那么多
just so much as you may take upon a knife’s point.
你还不饿吧,先生? 那就再见了
You have no stomach, signior. Fare you well.
“这不是我的本意 我奉命来请你用餐”
“Against my will I am sent to bid you come in to dinner.”
这句话中有双关的含义
There’s a double meaning in that.
“我没什么辛苦领受你的谢意
“I took no more pains for those thanks
“就像你的谢意并没有辛苦你”
“than you took pains to thank me.”
这句话等于说
That’s as much as to say, any pains
为你付出任何辛苦 都像说声谢谢一样轻松
that I take for you is as good as thanks.
如果不怜惜她,我就是个混♥蛋♥
If I do not take pity of her, I am a villain.
如果不爱她,我就是个傻瓜
If I do not love her, I am a fool.
我要讨一张她的小像
I will go get her picture.
不,说真的,欧苏拉 她太高傲啦
No, truly, Ursula, she is too disdainful.
我知道她的脾气 像山岩上的悍鹰腼腆而豪放
I know her spirits are as coy and wild as haggerds of the rock.
但你肯定班尼迪克 全心全意爱碧翠丝吗?
But are you sure Benedick loves Beatrice so entirely?
亲王和我未婚夫都这样说
So says the prince and my new-trothed lord.
他们让你把这事告诉她?
And did they bid you tell her of it, madam?
他们确实请求我告诉她 但我劝他们
They did entreat me to acquaint her of it, but I persuaded them,
如果他们爱护班尼迪克
if they loved Benedick,
最好让他自己斩断这段感情 决不让碧翠丝知道
to wish him restle with affection, and never to let Beatrice know of it.
你为什么要这样?
Why did you so?
难道这位先生配不上
Doth not the gentleman deserve as full a fortunate a bed
碧翠丝那样的新娘?
as ever Beatrice shall couch upon?
爱神在上!我知道他配得上 男人所应享有的一切
O, god of love! I know he doth deserve as much as may be yielded to a man.
但造物做出碧翠丝的心
But nature never framed a woman’s heart
比任何女人都高傲
of prouder stuff than that of Beatrice.
她眼中闪耀着傲慢和轻蔑
Disdain and scorn ride sparkling in her eyes,
蔑视看到的一切
misprising what they look on,
她把自己的才智估计过高
and her wit values itself so highly
一切在她眼里都微不足道
that to her all matter else seems weak.
她不会恋爱 也想不到有恋爱这回事
She cannot love, nor take no shape nor project of affection,
她太自恋
she is so self-endeared.
对,我也这样想
Sure, I think so.
所以他的爱 还是不让她知道的好
And therefore certainly it were not good she knew his love,
免得遭她嘲讽讥笑
lest she make sport at it.
不,我还是去找班尼迪克
No, rather I will go to Benedick
劝他斩断这段痴情
and counsel him to fight against his passion.
我要捏造善意的流言 诋毁我的堂妹
Truly, I’ll devise some honest slanders to stain my cousin with.