There he is! – There he is!
你好 妈妈 – 你好 文
Hello, Mother! – Hello, Vin!
文 亲爱的
Vin, darling!
你好 爸爸 – 很高兴你回来
Hello, Dad! – Fine to have you back.
朱蒂 你好 托比 托比
Judy! Hello, Toby! Toby!
文 文有个烟斗
Vin! Vin’s got a pipe!
怎么样 小家伙?- 天哪 你长高了
What of it, young fellow? – Heavens, you’ve grown!
只长了大约半英寸 妈妈 – 我长了一♥码♥
Only about half an inch, Mother. – I’ve grown a yard!
是吗 托比?
Have you, Toby?
你的胡子呢 儿子?- 你以前总引以为豪的
Where’s the mustache, son? – You used to be so proud of it.
我不记得很为它自豪 – 我喜欢
I don’t remember being so very proud. – I liked it.
很遗憾 我发现它占用了我很多时间
Sorry. I found it took up too much of my time.
噢 是吗?- 要时刻保持整齐
Oh, it did? – Keeping it trim and all that.
毕竟一个人不能花太多时间 在这些琐事上
After all, one can’t waste too much time over the vanities of life.
我明白 好吧 我们走 孩子们
I see. Well, come along, children. We better get along.
走吧 这就走喽
Let’s go. Here we go.
噢 我的天哪
Oh, good heavens.
那么你的兴趣不再在车上了吧 对吗?
So your interest doesn’t center on cars anymore, Vin?
在牛津的这最后一年里
Well, this last year at Oxford,
我对事物的看法有了很大改变
I’ve rather changed my outlook on things.
你没说过 – 是的 我认为我长大了一些
You don’t say. – Yes. I think I’ve grown a little.
对生活的意义有了更成熟的理解
Matured in my conception as to what life’s about.
你知道牛津教会了我什么吗?- 什么 亲爱的?
Do you know what Oxford has taught me? – What, dear?
它让我明白我对这世界其实一无所知
That I know nothing about anything.
简直是浪费时间和金钱
Rather a waste of time and money, then.
才不是 因为它教会我一种本领
Not at all, because it’s shown me
能让我从生活中得到我所想要的
just what I want out of life.
那是什么呢 文?- 是学习能力
And what’s that, Vin? – To learn.
我想在短暂的跨度中把能学到的知识都掌握好
I want to encompass all the knowledge I can in my brief span.
什么是跨度 文?- 就是桥
What’s span, Vin? – It’s a bridge.
桥?- 这世界上有各种各样的…
A bridge? – I think of the amount of knowledge…
…知识: 科学 哲学和社会学
…in the world: scientific knowledge, philosophical, sociological.
当我意识到 自己仅仅掌握其中很少部分时
And when I realize the infinitesimal part of this I possess,
就会有种危机感
it makes me shudder.
除此以外 妈妈
And apart from all that, Mother,
我觉得我已经感觉到一种社会良知
I think I’ve developed a social consciousness.
具体是什么呢 文?
What’s that, Vin?
唔 是我们人类社会所接受的准则
Why, it’s the recognition of my fellow man.
现在 我们的自♥由♥在哪里
Where are there free men today,
难道比九世纪到十五世纪那时的要多吗?
any more than in the 9th through the 15th centuries?
去开门 葛莱蒂斯
Front door, Gladys.
在九世纪到十五世纪 领主们拥有所有的土地…
Look, the 9th to 15th centuries, when the lords held all the land…
…由他们再分配给仆从
…and parceled out what they wished to their vassals.
想一想 我们现在是什么样?
Look about. What have we?
一个纯粹的封建社会
As pure a feudalistic state
仍旧跟九世纪到十五世纪一样
as there ever was in the 9th through 15th centuries.
每当想到这一点 我就很震惊 非常震惊
When I think about it, I’m appalled, genuinely appalled.
我跟你说 爸爸…
I tell you, Father…
当我想到存在于这个国家中的阶级等级制度
when I think of the class system that exists in this country to
什么事 葛莱蒂斯?
What is it, Gladys?
噢 是裴尔顿小姐来了 夫人
Oh, it’s Miss Beldon to see you, ma’am.
好 让她进来吧 葛莱蒂斯
Well, show her in, Gladys.
裴尔顿小姐 我想知道她什么来意
Miss Beldon. I wonder what that means.
她也许带来了她祖母的最后通牒
She’s probably brought the latest ultimatum from her illustrious grandmother.
可我几乎不认识裴尔顿公爵夫人
I scarcely know Lady Beldon.
她就是我刚才说的完美典型
The perfect example of what I’ve been saying.
裴尔顿公爵夫人
Lady Beldon is the living proof
是如今现存封建制度的活见证
of the survival of the feudal system today.
你甚至不可避免要受到裴尔顿家族的影响
You can’t escape from the Beldon influence.
这儿的一切都会受到了它的影响
It contaminates the entire village society.
就像九世纪到十五世纪一样 – 的确如此
Just as in the 9th to the 15th centuries. – Exactly.
你好 米尼弗夫人 我是卡萝尔·裴尔顿
How do you do, Mrs. Miniver? I’m Carol Beldon.
你好 裴尔顿小姐?这是我丈夫
How do you do, Miss Beldon? This is my husband.
你好 – 这是我儿子 文森特
How do you do? – And my son Vincent.
你好 – 正好来喝杯茶 裴尔顿小姐
How do you do? – Just in time for tea, Miss Beldon.
谢谢 但我刚喝过了 – 请坐吧
Thanks, but I’ve just had some. – Sit down anyway.
我只呆一会儿 你们坐吧
I can only stay a moment. Please, do sit down.
请原谅我这样唐突的来拜访 …
You really must excuse me for invading your house like this…
…但我来是有个真诚的请求
…but frankly, I’ve come to make a request.
一个私人请求 – 好的 请坐
A personal request, and as a great favor. – Well, please, sit down.
谢谢
Thank you.
我祖母不知道我来这里
You see, my grandmother doesn’t know I’ve come.
我不擅长拐弯抹角…
I’m afraid I’m not very good at breaking things gently…
…那我就直奔主题吧
…so I’ll get straight to the point.
我来这儿是因为那玫瑰
It’s about the rose.
玫瑰?- 是的 波勒先生种的那支
The rose? – Yes. The one Mr. Ballard grew.
“米尼弗夫人”
The Mrs. Miniver.
我听说他想拿它参加花卉展
I hear he’s going to enter it in the flower show.
你的意思是争夺裴尔顿奖杯?- 是的
You mean, for the Beldon Challenge Cup? – Yes.
但是以前没人参加过– – 是的…
But no one ever has entered…. – That is No…
从没有人拿玫瑰来和我祖母竞争
no one has ever entered a rose in competition with my grandmother.
这正是问题所在
And that’s just the point.
她赢取奖杯已经成为了一种惯例…
It’s become a tradition for her to win the cup…
…而且她的玫瑰对她来说意义非同寻常
…and her roses mean so much to her.
我知道这似乎是个很让人为难的请求…
I know it seems an awful thing to ask…
…但我期望你会帮忙…
…but I thought you might, perhaps, as a favor…
…劝波勒先生退出比赛
…persuade Mr. Ballard to withdraw his rose from the competition.
老实说 它是那么漂亮
You see, to be frank, it’s such a beautiful rose
获胜是轻而易举 并且…
it might easily win, and, well
裴尔顿小姐…
Miss Beldon…
…我能问一下 这是不是一个公开的比赛?
…may I ask whether this is an open competition?
是的 原则上是…
Yes, technically…
原则上是 但实际上不是
Technically, yes, but actually, no.
是的 就算是吧 你明白
Yes, I suppose that’s it. You see
我再明白不过了 裴尔顿小姐
I see only too well, Miss Beldon.
因为波勒先生不属于统治阶层…
Because Mr. Ballard is not of the ruling class…
…仅仅是个仆从
…is a mere vassal, as it were…
文 让裴尔顿小姐说
Now, Vin, please. Let Miss Beldon explain.
但是妈妈 裴尔顿小姐不需要解释 不需要向我解释
But, Mother, Miss Beldon doesn’t have to explain, not to me.
我明白封建制度对这儿的影响
I’m aware of the influence of the feudal system in this village.
这是领主的命令
These are orders from the manor.
她的贵族身份不允许别人的竞争
Her ladyship must have no competition.
请原谅我的儿子 他刚从牛津回来
You must excuse my son. He’s just down from Oxford.
别为我道歉 我只是说出心里所想的
Don’t apologize for me. I mean everything I say.
好的 我很乐意听这个 但是关于这个 你做过什么吗?
Well, I’m glad to hear it, but do you do anything about it?
做事?你的意思是?
Do? Why, what do you mean?
如果你觉得这是错的 那你为改变它做过什么没有?
If you feel something is wrong, what are you doing about it?
这几年来 我在伦敦的贫民区里耗费了好几个假期
I’ve spent holidays the last few years
来帮着解决居住问题
doing settlement work in the slums of London.
你们整天过着奢华无度的生活…
You wallow in luxury all the year…
我没有奢华无度
I don’t wallow!
…只是抽出几个礼拜做做女慈善家
…and think a few weeks playing Lady Bountiful
好了 文 – 或许我做的并不多…
Come, Vin. – It’s not much, perhaps…
… 但我知道要做事
…but it’s the only thing I know.
你做过些什么呢?- 我?
What have you been doing? – I?
哦… – 我明白 只是说说而已
Well…. I see. Just talk.
那也挺好 要容易得多 – 听着 我不是说
That’s all right. It’s easier. – Listen, I didn’t say
噢 不用辩解
Oh, don’t apologize.
我明白 一边看着一本满是大话的书 …
I know how comfortable it is to curl up with a book full of big words…
…一边幻想着正在解决世界难题 是多么惬意的事情啊
…and think you’re going to solve the problems of the universe.
但你错了 有时一点点行动才是必要的
But you’re not. A bit of action is required now and then.
行动?如果那就是你和 你们阶层的人所要求的…
Action? If that’s what you and your class are asking for…
…也许某天你会得到的
…maybe you’ll get it one of these days.
也许吧 但不是从空谈者那里
Maybe. But not from the talkers.
文 记住 裴尔顿小姐是客人
Vin! Remember, Miss Beldon is a guest.
注意点礼貌
If you have any manners at all
礼貌?
Manners?
下♥贱♥的劳动人♥民♥的艺术成就不能获奖 …
A humble working man is denied the reward of his artistry…
…原因就只是为了满足一个贵族的虚荣
…to gratify the vanity of an aristocrat
好了 这不关你的事
Quiet. This isn’t your concern.
我不这样认为 这与一个人的尊严有关