您是个很伟大的侦探
You are very great detective!
非常感谢
Thank you very much.
我妈妈想知道你您有没有带那顶大名鼎鼎的帽子
My mother, she wonders if you have brought your famous hat.
噢 那顶猎鹿帽
Oh, the deer stalker.
那是插画师臆想出来的
That was an embellishment of the illustrator.
我从没戴过
I’ve never worn one.
-那烟斗呢 -我更喜欢雪茄
-And the pipe? -I prefer a cigar.
我和华生说过 如果我哪天要亲自写点什么
I told Watson, if I ever write a story myself,
那一定是为了纠正因为他的想象而造成的
it will be to correct the million misconceptions
那些成百上千的错误认识
created by his imaginative licence.
您写了吗
Did you write such a story?
我现在打算写了
But I’m trying to do so now.
我必须在死之前了解此事
I must finish with you before I die.
所以你是为你妻子来的
“So you’ve come about your wife.”
你是为你妻子来的
“You’ve come about your wife.”
你是
“You’ve come…”
罗杰
Roger.
这儿
Here.
午饭后见
I’ll see you after lunch.
我需要你帮忙料理蜜蜂
I’m going to need some help with the bees.
所以你找到正确的地址了
So you found the right address.
221B好心的门卫告诉了我地址
A friendly porter at 221B.
只是为了误导好奇的人们 小小地虚构了一下
It’s just a minor fiction to mislead the curious.
大部分都是美国人
Most of them seem to be American.
请坐 凯尔默先生
Have a seat, Mr. Kelmot.
那么
So…
你是为你妻子来的
you’ve come about your wife.
-你怎么知道的 -不重要
-How did you know? -It doesn’t matter.
把你要说的都告诉我吧
Tell me what you have to say.
我的妻子名叫安
My wife is named Ann.
她母亲在生产时去世了
Her mother died in childbirth.
她爸爸是个上校
Her father was a colonel,
在瓦济里斯坦的一次行动里丧生
killed in that business at Waziristan.
我们非常想要孩子
We wanted very much to have children.
怀第一个孩子的时候 她3个月就流产了
She lost our first child in her third month…
第二个孩子4个月流产
Our second in her fourth.
他们说 再怀孕会很危险
We were told it was too dangerous to try again.
安为此心烦意乱
Ann was… distraught.
就好像每次失去的都是一个真正的孩子 而不是
It was as though each of them lost had been a real child, as opposed to…
谢谢
Thank you.
有一次 她甚至坚持让我准备了一对刻好的墓碑
For a time, she even insisted I have a pair of headstones carved
放倒我们的墓地里去
and placed in our cemetery plot,
就好像他们的身体真的埋在下面一样
as if their bodies were buried beneath.
她极其需要做点什么来缓解这种危险的忧郁
She was in desperate need of something to soothe this dangerous melancholy.
她喜欢音乐 于是我建议她学学玻璃琴
She liked music so I suggested the glass armonica.
玻璃琴
The armonica?
我父亲最珍爱的物件
My father’s most prized possession.
他每天都弹 直到他去世的那天为止
He played it constantly till the day he died.
我把琴带回家
I had it brought to the house
安排了一个月的课程
and arranged a month’s worth of lessons.
每周一个小时
One hour per week.
很快 安就问我能不能增加课时 每周两次
Soon Ann asked me if she could increase the lessons to twice a week.
后来变成三次 再后来变成每天
Then three times. Then every day.
她培养起了这项新爱好 你也希望她这么做
So, she took up the avocation you hoped she would.
你为什么来找我 凯尔默先生
Why are you here, Mr. Kelmot?
福尔摩斯先生 我的安变了
Mr. Holmes, my Ann has changed.
而且不光是那些课 也不光是她对乐器的痴迷
And it isn’t just the lessons or her obsession with the instrument.
有一次我在房♥间外面
One day I was outside the room
突然弹奏的声音停了
and suddenly her playing stopped.
接着我听到她说 声音很清晰
And I heard her saying, quite clearly…
格蕾丝 詹姆斯
Grace? James?
这是你们给孩子准备的名字
Those were to be the names of your children?
我当面问安的时候 她否认了
When I confronted Ann, she denied it.
所以我不再让她弹玻璃琴 也不再允许她上课
So I forbad her playing the armonica and I forbad her taking the lessons.
给她上课的那个女人 西莫尔女士
The woman who teaches them, Madame Schirmer,
是有危险信仰的人
is a person of dangerous beliefs.
一个音乐老师的危险信仰
The dangerous beliefs of a music teacher?
她给安施咒了
She’s put a spell on Ann,
玩弄她本就脆弱的思想 我不知道原因
preying upon her weak frame of mind, for what reason I cannot say.
你有证据吗
Have you proof of this?
遵从我的要求 她不再见西莫尔女士了
Following my instructions, she stopped seeing Madame Schirmer.
但我在信箱里收到了3张这个女人发来的收据
I received in the post…three receipts from the woman.
每张对应一节玻璃琴课
Each for the payment of one armonica lesson.
又一次 安否认了这件事
Again Ann denied it.
因此 我禁止她再从银行里取钱了
Consequently, my wife is no longer permitted to withdraw money from the bank.
昨天 我跟踪了安
Then yesterday, I followed Ann
去了那个女人给她上课的地方
to the place where the woman gives her lessons.
我在人行道上都能听到她弹奏的声音
Even on the pavement below I could hear her playing.
于是我走进去 但那个西莫尔说她不在
Naturally, I went inside, but the Schirmer woman said,
你妻子不在这
“Your wife is not here.”
昨晚 我质问安
Last night, I questioned Ann.
她说她没去过西莫尔女士的家
And she said that she hadn’t been to Madame Schirmer’s rooms.
近几周都没去过了
Not for weeks.
你有你妻子的肖像吗
Do you have a portrait of your wife?
回答最后一个问题 我就接你的案子
I shall take your case if you answer just one last question.
好的
Certainly.
你妻子用什么香水
What perfume does your wife wear?
罗杰
Roger.
很晚了 外面亮得像那场大空袭一样
It’s late. Lights out like it’s the Blitz.
看看你
Look at you.
你还记得你♥爸♥爸吗
Do you remember your dad?
我记得他拉着我的手 带我去海边
I remember him holding my hand and taking me to the sea.
你不记得 那是照片里的
You’re not remembering. That’s the picture.
那些睡前现编的故事呢
What about the invisible stories?
有时候在睡前 你♥爸♥爸会编一些故事 他会
Some nights at bedtime, your dad would make up stories. He’d…
他会说 说三个东西
he’d say, “Give me three things.”
你会说 球 猫和罗杰
And you’d say, “A ball, a cat and Roger.”
然后他会
So then he’d…
他会编一些故事
he’d make up some tale
一个球有一只猫 猫的名字叫罗杰
about a ball that had a pet cat named Roger.
从来都是一个这个 一个那个 和罗杰
Always a something and something and Roger.
你一个故事都不记得了
You don’t remember any of the invisible stories?
不记得了 你记得吗
No. Do you?
我一直都不擅长讲故事
I was never any good at stories.
睡个好觉
Sleep well.
首先你得知道 这并不危险
The first thing to know is there’s no danger.
蜜蜂没兴趣伤害你
Bees aren’t interested in harming you.
它们唯一关心的就是自我保护
Their only concern is self-preservation.
-避开人类吗 -它们太聪明了 人类伤不了他们
-From people? -They’re much too clever for people.
他们的敌人是黄蜂 疾病和捕食者
Their enemies are the weather, disease and predators.
黄蜂是他们的头号♥天敌
The wasp is their particular antagonist.
你知道吗 一只黄蜂可以在一分钟内杀死40只蜜蜂
Did you know that one wasp can kill 40 honey bees in under a minute?
因此 我们一点都不喜欢黄蜂
In consequence, we do not like wasps.
是 先生 我们不喜欢黄蜂
Yes, sir. We do not like wasps.
蜂后掌管整个群体
The queen runs the colony.
工蜂伺候蜂后
The drones service the queen.
手抬起来
Hands up.
工人就是要干活 理所应当
Workers do the work. As it should be.
我们需要关注的是最近蜂群数量的减少
Of concern is the latest decrease in the bee population.
找到了问题所在 现在我们得解决它
We’ve identified the problem, and now we must solve it.
好 找到了 走吧
Right. There you are. Off you go.
你被蜜蜂咬过吗
Have you ever been bitten by a bee?
是蛰 蜜蜂没有牙齿
Stung. Bees don’t have teeth.
我被蛰过
Yes, I have.
不是经常发生吧
Well, not often, though.
7816次
7,816 times.
我会计数的
I keep a record.
你看上去一点儿也不害怕
You’re not entirely dreadful.
你被咬过吗
You ever been bit?
没 我还没被咬过
No. I have never been bit.

你的评论可以尖锐,也可以湿疣!