霍兰先生,请进来
What’s wrong with Sarah, Gene?
莎拉怎么了?
Please, sit down. I’d rather stand, thanks.
请坐 谢谢 我宁愿站着
Why is Sarah crying, Gene?
莎拉为什么哭?
All right. I’ll come right to the point.
好!我直说了吧
You know how acrimonious the budget meeting was at the Board of Education meeting…last Tuesday.
上周二校董会的 预算会议开得十分激烈
Be that as it may…each school in the district has been asked…to submit proposals on ways of reducing costs by ten percent by September.
本区各校必须在九月底前 提交缩减开支10%的方案
This is what I’ve decided.
这是我的提案
[Chuckles] The entire music program.
删减所有的音乐,
And art. And drama.
艺术和戏剧课
Well, congratulations, Gene.You’ve been lookin’ for a way to get rid of me for 30 years…
恭喜你 30年来,你一直想法摆脱我
and they finally gave you an excuse.
这次终于有机会了
You know, I’m not as popular as you. I’m not anybody’s favorite anything.
我没你那么受欢迎,没有人喜欢我
That’s because you’re the enemy, Gene. You just don’t know it. But…I care about these kids just as much as you do.
那是因为你总在扮坏人,吉恩 只是你没意识到 我和你同样关心那些孩子
And if I’m forced to choose between Mozart and reading and writing and long division…
但如果在莫扎特,阅读,写作和算术中做选择
I choose long division.
我宁可选择算术
Well, I guess you can cut the arts as much as you want, Gene.
现在你能够把艺术斩草除根了,吉恩
Sooner or later, these kids aren’t gonna have anything to read or write about.
迟早这些孩子 将再没有什么可读可写的
Mr. Holland.If there’s anything I can do.
霍兰先生 需要我帮忙吗?
[Laughs] A recommendation.
写封推荐信?
I’m 60 years old, Gene. What are you gonna do?
吉恩,我60岁了 你还能做什么?
Write me a recommendation for the morgue?
你要推荐我到停尸间吗?
Jacobs would’ve fought this. She would’ve lost.
如果是雅各布斯,她一定会为学校力争到底 她不会成功的
Yes, she would’ve lost, but she would have fought this.And so will I!
是的,她会失败 但至少争取过 我也一样
No. No. Do not misunderstand me.I am not talking about my job!
不 不 别误会,我不是为个人职位
I am talking about the education that students once got at Kennedy High…
而是替肯尼迪高中 曾为孩子们提供的优良教育…
versus the education that you people are willing to give these kids today.
与你们今天功利的举措抗辩
We have been going over and over this, Mr. Holland. We’ve done all we can.
我们已反复审查多次 霍兰先生,我们已尽力了
Then, do it again. That’s what I used to tell you when you were my student, Michael…and it served you pretty well then.
那就再研究一次 麦可,你还是我学生时 我就这样教过你
Well, that was a different time, Mr. Holland. I don’t think the time…
时代不同了,霍兰先生
was that different; I think that more was expected of us.
我不认为时代真的相差那么大,我们做得还不够
Fifteen seconds. I think that the big difference is how little you people care.
还有15秒 我认为最大的差别 是你们关注得越来越少
And how lazy you’ve become.
变得越来越懒惰
I resent your tone, Mr. Holland.
我不喜欢你的语气,霍兰先生
And I don’t think you have any real appreciation for our financial problems.
你不了解我们有财政困难
Oh, come on, Michael!
得了吧!麦可!
You know the big problem here is that you people are willing…to create a generation of children who will not have the ability to think.
最大问题在于你们甘于制♥造♥…不会思考没有创见的一代青年
Or create. Or listen. [Board Official] Time, Mr. Holland.
或 创造,或听 霍兰先生,时间到了
[Michael] Mr. Holland, as I’ve said, we’ve done the best that we can.
我再说一遍,霍兰先生,我们已尽力做到最好
Your best is not good enough!
你们的”最好”还远不够好!
“A very flattering offer has been made to me to teach…
“有人热情洋溢的邀请我”
at a university for the deaf in Washington, D. C.
“到华盛顿一所大学教聋哑人”
I’m not sure that I’m going to take it…
“我还没拿定主意”
because I’m fond of the students in the school that I’m at now.
“因为我很喜欢现在学校的学生”
It’s something to think about.
“我得好好考虑”
No girlfriends yet… at least not serious ones.
“没有女友,至少没有一个认真的”
And tell Dad that I’m never going to give his car back.
“告诉爸爸,别想再要回他的车”
Love always, Cole. ”
“永远爱你们的柯尔”
[Bill] Hey!

Hey.

What are you doin’ here?
你来这里做什么?
You know, I had some jock straps in the rinse cycle down in the locker room.
我有些护身内♥裤♥放在衣帽间
Came to see if you needed any help. Nope.
过来看看你需不需要帮忙
No, no, no.
不用…不用
So you decided what you’re gonna do yet?
决定了做什么吗?
Too old to start a rock band.
重组乐队?我又太老了
Probably hang out a shingle and teach a few piano lessons.
也许贴些小广♥告♥教钢琴课吧
I’d love to retire. I’d… I’m not retiring, Bill.
我倒喜欢退休… 我不是退休,比尔
I’m getting dumped.
是被遗弃
[Sighs] And I don’t think you have anything to worry about.
但你没什么好担心的
The day they cut the football budget in this state, well, now…
如果有砍掉足球经费的那一天
that will be the end of western civilization as we know it.
一定是西方文明终结之日
[Sighs] I’ll tell you the truth.
跟你说句实话
[Chuckles] I’m scared to death.
(退休的生活)其实我怕得要死
They have no idea how much they’re gonna miss you around here.
大家都会想念你的
You really think so? What, do you doubt it?
你真的那样想? 怎么,你怀疑?
Well, as a matter of fact, yeah.
事实上,我不信
It’s almost funny. I got dragged into this gig kicking and screaming…
说来好笑,当初闹着说不干
and now, it’s the only thing I want to do, and…
如今却是我唯一想做的事业
You work your whole life.
工作了一生…
You work for 30 years because you think that what you do makes a difference.
教了三十年 因为相信自己可以改变什么
You think it matters to people.
相信自己对其他人有意义
Then you wake up one morning, and you find out, well, no, you’ve…
但某天早上,你醒过来发现…
you’ve made a little error there.
自己错了
You are…expendable.
原来你是…可有可无的
[Inhales Deeply] Oh, God.
喔!天啊!
[Chuckles] Oh, I should be laughing.
我真是好笑
You sure you don’t need any help, huh?
你真的不需要帮忙吗?
All right.
好吧
Dad!
爸爸!
What are you doing here?
你怎么来了?
School is out for me too.
学校放假了
The old car. It looks pretty good.
这部老爷车,看来还不错
It’s a classic. You can’t have it back.
这是古董车,你不能要回去
No, no.
不!不…
You don’t have to do this.
你不用帮我搬
I don’t want an old fart like you to strain yourself.
我不想有糟老头把自己给弄伤
Okay, okay, asshole.
好吧 好吧,混球
[Sighs] That’s enough, you two.
你们两个闹够了没
Let’s go out to the car. [Clears Throat]
我们出去吧
Now what is that?
那是什么声音?
Um, I don’t know.
不清楚
What? You can’t hear what’s going on in the auditorium?
什么?礼堂传来的声音你听不到? 我听到了,但…
Oh, yeah. III hear it, but… Well, there’s something going on in there.
好像有活动
There isn’t supposed to be… Well, it could be a summer program.
暑假课程吗?
No, the summer programs don’t start for another couple of weeks.
不会的,还有几个星期才开课
Mr. Holland!
霍兰先生
Mr. Stadler?
史泰德勒先生?
I wouldn’t have missed it, Mr. Holland.
霍兰先生,这场盛会我绝不能错过
Hi, Cole.
你好 柯尔
Uh, I’ll sign myself.
我来用手语传译
Uh, hello. [Clears Throat]
你好…
Our master of ceremonies seems to be a little late…
我们大会的支持人似乎迟到了
so I guess it’s up to me to begin.
所以还是我来开始吧
Um, when word first got out that the music program was cut…
当音乐课被取消…
and about the retirement of my husband…
和我丈夫要退休的消息传出后
Well, I’ve never seen such a response from the community.
我从没料到,会在这社区 引起这么大的反响
Oh, looks like my watch is fast.
噢,看来我的表跑快了
Uh, ladies and gentlemen, may I present our governor…
各位先生女士,请允许我介绍我们的州长
and Kennedy High School alumnus…
也是本校校友
the most Honorable Gertrude Lang.
尊敬的格特鲁德?蓝格女士
Gertrude. [Chuckles] It’s been a long time.
格特鲁德 好久不见了
Thank you so much for coming. Oh, thank you.
谢谢你的光临. 噢…谢谢
My… My apologies for my tardiness, and, uh, Principal Wolters…
很抱歉,我迟到了
I’d like you to know… Yes, I brought a note from my mother.
报告华德斯校长,我有带家长证明的!
Mr. Holland had a profound influence on my life.
霍兰先生对我的一生有深远影响
On a lot of lives, I know.
对我们许多人的一生也是一样
And, yet, I get the feeling…that he considers a great part of his own life misspent.
但我觉得,他或许会认为… 自己的大部份人生都是虚度的
Rumor had it, he was always working on this symphony of his…
据说他一直在创作自己的交响乐
and this was going to make him famous, rich.
那可令他功成名就
Probably both.
或许两者都是
But Mr. Holland isn’t rich…
但是霍兰先生并未发财
and he isn’t famous…
也未出名
at least not outside of our little town.
小镇以外知道他的人不多
So it might be easy for him to think himself a failure.
他可能因此认为自己很失败
And he would be wrong…
那么他就错了
because I think he’s achieved a success far beyond riches and fame.
因为他的成就远超乎名和利
Look around you.
环顾四周
There is not a life in this room that you have not touched.
没有一个人不曾受你的影响
And each one of us is a better person because of you.
因为你,我们才成为了更好的人
We are your symphony, Mr. Holland.

你的评论可以尖锐,也可以湿疣!