她的生日快到了
Her birthday is coming up.
届时她便37岁
She’ll be 37.
我向高比尔查问过你
I spoke to Bill Colden about you.
他说你是曾共事的最佳律师之一
He says you’re one of the best lawyers he’s ever worked with.
我很清楚比尔,他不轻易称赞人
And I know Bill. Praise doesn’t come easy to him.
我们关系不错,他善于打理公♥司♥
We had a good relationship. He runs that firm well.
是的
Yes he does.
你认为自己职业上的强项是什麽
So, in your estimation, what are your professional strengths?
我不相信临场打天才波
Well, I don’t believe in improvisation.
严谨地准备案件
I prepare my cases rigorously.
掌握客户的情况,好好地处理
I’m on top of clients. I handle them well.
保护他们,更胜于他们本身
I protect them from themselves.
我较喜欢独自工作
I prefer to work on a project by myself
但有需要时也跟其他人合作愉快
but I can work just as well in a team, if necessary.
合作伙伴是男女也没关系
I work equally well with men or women…
但我宁可选择男性上司
but I prefer to report to a man.
为什麽?
Why’s that?
许多女人认为我是威胁
Many women find me threatening.
我会向你汇报吗? 是的
Would I be reporting to you? – Yes.
那我们没什麽需要担心了
So, we’d have nothing to worry about, then.
为什麽认为女人觉得你是威胁
Why do you think women find you threatening?
我不加入手袋党,我行我素
I’m not in the sisterhood. I’m my own person.
你在这城市搬进搬出过几次
I saw from this that you moved to and from this area several times.
每当我寻求新发展便离开
I’ve gone wherever I’ve had to go to get ahead.
但你总会回来
But you always return here.
这里比什麽地方都好
This part of the world is as good as any.
伊莎,你的履历一流
Well Elizabeth, your resume is very impressive.
没必要隐瞒,你会是我们的人才
It’s no secret you’d be a great asset to us.
我不会令你失望
I would not disappoint you.
若你不介意…
If you wouldn’t mind…
可否提供一点个人背景
could you give me some of your personal background?
我在洛杉矶这里出生
I was born here in Los Angeles…
出生那天便被收养
and I was given up for adoption on the day of my birth.
妈妈生我时14岁
My mother was 14 when she had me.
此外,我对她一无所知
And that’s all I know about her.
养父在我10岁时过身
My adoptive father died when I was 10.
我跟养母关系疏离
My adoptive mother and I are not close.
名字乔伊莎是初中时自己取的
My name, Elizabeth Joyce, is one I picked out for myself in junior high.
现在是正式名字,其他已不用了
It’s my legal name now. I don’t go by any other.
我独居
I live alone.
从17岁开始
I have since I turned 17.
我没结过婚,亦没这打算
I’ve never been married, and I have no plans to marry.
我认为独♥立♥是最重要的
I value my independence above all things.
我不需达成别人的期望
That way I don’t have any expectations to fulfill…
除了我自己,这样已够好了
other than my own, which are great enough.
她只写了这些
That’s all she wrote.
我们结婚4年
We’ve been married for four years.
一开始已想生小孩
And we’ve been trying from the beginning.
但一直不成功
But we just haven’t been able to.
我们一直希望,在绝望中…
And we’ve been hoping, you know, against hope, as they say…
但始终没有如愿
but that just isn’t going to be.
我们已接受事实
And we’ve accepted that.
而且没怨命
And we’re not bitter.
我是说,我不认为…
I mean, I don’t think…
我们有怨命吗?
Do you think we’re bitter about it?
没有,我们没有
No. No, we’re not.
我们会是好父母
So, we could be good parents, you know.
约瑟非常体贴,富于爱心
Joseph is a very tender man. He’s affectionate.
我们在瞬间会学会爱BB
And, we could learn to love a baby in a minute,
不是亲生也没关系
even if it wasn’t ours.
我们要为BB起名字吗?
Would we get to name the baby ourselves?
视乎情况
It depends on the circumstances.
有时亲生父母和养父母一起决定
Sometimes the biological parents and the adoptive parents agree on a name.
我们同意
We could agree to agree.
我们已准备好领养
Well, we’re ready now, to adopt.
血缘虽然重要
I mean, blood is important…
但最重要的还是相处时间
but it’s the time spent together that really matters.
是吗?
Isn’t that right?
噢,真要命 什麽事?
Oh my god. – What? What? What?
你为什麽不叫我收声?
Why didn’t you shut me up?
没问题,露茜
It’s alright, Lucy,
进她办公室的人也会紧张
everyone who goes to her office is nervous, okay?
说什麽相处最重要,怎爆出来的?
Gave that whole speech about time spent together. Where the hell did I get that?
我不知道 你为什麽不开口?
Baby, I have no idea. – Why didn’t you open your mouth?
露茜,不要试着…
Lucy don’t try…
你为什麽不发一言?
Why didn’t you say a word?
老婆,她喜欢你
Sweetie, she liked you.
你这样认为? 是的,放松
Do you think? – Yes, I think. Just relax.
好吧
Okay.
感觉怎样?
How does that feel?
几好
It feels okay.
只是几好?
Just okay?
很不错
It feels good.
上帝,求祢让我们找到BB
Please God, let us find a baby.
我扶着你了
I got ya.
噢
Oh.
好,路丝,把手放在一旁,来啦
Good, Louise. Put your arm on the side. There ya go.
这是一般治疗区,照顾长♥期♥痛症
This is our general therapy area where we treat patients with chronic pain…
和严重受伤的病人
and acute injuries.
你好,珍妮 你好,柏高
Hi. Janelle. – Hi. Paco.
给你的 谢谢
Here. – Thanks.
那男人跟你打情骂俏吗?
Is that man flirting with you?
是的
Yes he was.
你好
Hi.
哈罗
Hello.
向嘉云问好啦,乖女
Say hello to Karen, mija.
你好
Hi.
你妈妈今天过得很好
Your mother had a good day.
她胃口非常好
She ate really well.
她睡了多久?
And how long’s she been asleep?
大约半小时,她绝对有需要
For about half an hour. She really needed it.
我离去前可为她换睡衣
I can change her into her nightgown before I leave.
我替她换可以了
I’ll do that.
我明天要稍为迟一点
I’m gonna be a little late tomorrow.
她明天开课了
It’s back to school for this one.
呀
Ah.
明天见
I’ll see you tomorrow.
这些要剪存
These need clipping.
妈,我要找个新佣人给你
Mom, I’m gonna look for a new person for you.
苏菲没问过我就带放假的女儿来
Sofia never asked me if I minded that she brought the girl over while school was out.
我也不知道会否同意,但她没问
I don’t know what I would’ve said, but she should’ve asked me.
你不能解雇她
You cannot fire her.
我们是住在隔壁的史提和翠斯
Hi. We’re Steven and Tracy from next door.
我们想跟你问好,欢迎你搬来
We just wanted to come by and say hi and welcome to the building.
谢谢
Thank you.
我们才搬来两个月
We only moved in two months ago, so, you know
明白人地生疏的感受
we know what it’s like not to know anyone.
大厦相当安全,是吗?
It’s a pretty safe building though, don’t you think?
我们是这样想
I mean, we think so.
对,相当清静
Yes, it’s quiet.
你一个人住吗?
Yeah. So you’re here all by yourself, right?
没错
Yes, that’s right.
我也这样告诉史提,对吧?
Yeah. I told Steven that I thought so. Didn’t l?
是的
Yeah. Yeah.
大厦主要是单身住户,没小孩子
It’s mostly single people in the building, you know, no children.
到目前为止…
So far.
我正在忙着
You know, I was just in the middle of something.
不要紧,稍后再谈,我多数在家
Oh, don’t worry. We’ll talk again. I’m home most days…
随时过来借沙糖或什麽也好
and so just, you know, come by and borrow a cup of sugar or something.
很高兴认识你
It was nice meeting you.