但我仍然不…
that I quite like, but I’m still not.
我们终会找到答案的,不是吗?
We’ll find out eventually, won’t we?
可能到最后,我真的不适合这一切
I might now be cut out for all this, really,
at the end.
你为什么频繁地改变?
INTERVIEWER: Why did you change so often?
这样做有什么需要吗?还是只是噱头?
I mean, what was the need for it?
作为山羊座 我不想将自己暴露在公众面前
Was it just a gimmick?
DAVID: Being a Capricorn.
I didn’t want to expose myself to the public,
所以我创造了一系列角色
so I developed a series of characters.
所以角色背后 一直都是真正的大卫宝儿?
So, behind that all the time was a real David Bowie?
有时候是的
At times, yes.
我有几次失控了
I lost control a couple of times.
所以你不是…这是真正的你
So you’re not– This is really you.
不是你还在扮演某种角色…
This is not you just still sort of playing the role of…
我也想知道
One wonders.
我认为你频繁地改变外表的原因
I think that it’s not at all mystifying
一点也不神秘
why you change your appearance as often as you do,
-我是这样认为的 -是吗?
to my view by the way,
因为我觉得你把自己当成了画布
because I think you’ve used yourself as a canvas.
是的,说得很对
-Yes, very much so. -Is that right?
-是这样吗? -是的,非常正确
DAVID: Yes, very much so.
Um, I never wanted to appear as myself onstage ever,
我从不想以自己的身份登上舞台
一直都不想,直至最近
at any time, until recently.
你那样做是对我们隐藏自己吗?
Were you hiding yourself from us by doing that?
一部分是,但我享受那样做
DAVID: Partly, but I was enjoying it very much.
-你现在还有画画? -是
-And, you paint now? -Yes.
但是你还不愿意让我们看你的画?
But your paintings, you’re not willing
to let us see yet?
不想…我收过两、三次展出邀请
DAVID: Uh, no.
但我接受了其中两个
I’ve been offered two or three showings,
but I’ve turned–
然后我食言了,说我不会展出
I’ve accepted two of them, and then I broke my word
and said I wouldn’t show them.
我还没有鼓起勇气
I haven’t yet bucked up the courage.
为什么不?你害怕什么?
INTERVIEWER: Why not? What do you fear?
我知道我擅于写歌♥
DAVID: Well, I know I’m a good writer.
我不确定是否要把我的画…
I’m not sure about putting my paintings.
而且那些画对我来说很私人
They’re very personal to me, as well.
那些都是肖像画,都是画孤寂的人
Um, they’re all portraits,
and they’re portraits of people in isolation.
大部分画作都是画 住在柏林的德国人或土耳其人
Most of the paintings are Germans or Turks
who live in Berlin,
他们都是来自东柏林
and they’re either from East Berlin,
而现居于西柏林
and who are now living in West Berlin,
并知道他们的家人就在墙的另一边
and knowing their families
are on the other side of the wall.
所以,我试图大量捕捉那种孤寂感
And so, I tried to capture a lot of that isolation
也在画作中投入了很多自己的元素
and I put a lot of myself into the paintings as well.
它们就像是我的一部分
They’re very much part of me.
我认为问题在于
DICK: Well, I think the question is what–
你想为自己 和你的生活成为怎样的人
you know, what you want to be for yourself and your life.
我不知道这一点是否仍重要
DAVID: I don’t know whether that’s important anymore.
我想做的就是好好工作
I mean, what I want to do is just work well.
当我工作顺利时,我喜欢我写的歌♥
When I’m working well, I like my writing.
尤其是此刻,这比其它任何时刻更甚
At the moment, especially.
More than at any other time, I think.
我对自己写的东西感到厌倦了
I mean, I was getting so bored with what I was writing.
我…我觉得自己不够好
I just, I felt inadequate, I thought my writing
我认为我写的歌♥开始变得单调
was becoming monotonous.
我没有像以前那样去冒险
I didn’t take the kinds of chances
I was taking at one time.
我觉得…我最终会像…
I thought if I’m going to end up like,
其他大多数的摇滚明星一样
um, a lot of other rock and roll celebrities,
因为我只想求稳不变,你知道吗?
inasmuch that I’m going to be trying
to retain the safe position, you know?
而那并不是我一开始想做的事
And that’s not what I started out wanting to do.
但对你来说,有大量听众很重要吗?
DICK: But is it important to you to have a mass audience?
-你想让很多人… -不
Do you want a lot of people to–
不,我想好好工作,我想… 我只需要好好工作
DAVID: No. No.
I want to work well.
I want to– I just have to work well.
我认为这样做很有勇气,去…
I think it’s an heroic act to take,
有能力从日复日的实际生活过程中
um– to be able to obtain enthusiasm
获得热诚和快乐
and joy from the actual process of living from day to day.
INTERVIEWER: [SPEAKING JAPANESE]
对,没错,我有在尝试
DAVID: Yes, very much.
I try. And it is, it is–
而那是…那是…
我认为那需要练习…
I think it takes practice to,
还需要专注、和锻炼才能享受它
and concentration, and exercise to enjoy it.
因为很容易掉入
This is very easy to fall into the trap of looking
寻找梦想的陷阱
for one’s dreams and always thinking of a future moment
总是想着未来的某个时刻 一切会变得更好
when everything will be better.
而如果你不享受这个过程 梦想就永远不会实现
And if the process is not enjoyed,
the dreams will never come to anything.
而透过享受这个过程 你正在令梦想成真
And by enjoying the process,
you are creating a dream come true.
我认为我对生活有着非常足够的好奇心
I think I have an abundantly healthy curiosity about life.
尤其是关于我周围的生活
About life around me, specifically.
以及如何… 我们如何把自己与文化融合
And how, how we put ourselves together culturally,
我认为这对我作为艺术家很有帮助
and I think it’s served me well as an artist,
因为我一直不断地探究
in as much as I’m really inquiring continually
事物是如何制♥造♥的 我们为什么制♥造♥它们
into how things are made and why we make them,
以及事物背后的意义或含意
and the significance or meanings behind things.
我真的害怕感到自己已到达尽头
I’d be really scared of feeling that I’d got somewhere,
因为对我来说,艺术在于寻找
because for me, art is about searching,
如果你达到了一个境界 认为自己已发掘到精髓
and if you come to a place
where you think you’ve made a discovery,
我认为那真是…
I think that really is…
天啊,那真的会令人沮丧
God, that would be really demoralizing.
我认为探索才是关键
I think the search is the thing.
你想去相信
♪ And you want to believe ♪
我们想去相信
♪ And we want to believe ♪
我们想要活着
♪ And we want to live ♪
我们想要活着
♪ Oh, we want to live ♪
我们想要活着
♪ We want to live ♪
我们想要活着
♪ We want to live ♪
我们想要活着
♪ We want to live ♪
我们想要活着
♪ We want to live ♪
我们想要活着
♪ We want to live ♪
我想要活着
♪ I want to live ♪
我想要活着
♪ I want to live ♪
我想要活着
♪ I want to live ♪
我想要活着
♪ I want to live ♪
我想要活着
♪ I want to live ♪
我想要活着
♪ I want to live ♪
活着
♪ Live ♪
活着
♪ Live ♪
活着
♪ Live ♪
[SINGING NOT AUDIBLE]
那不就是和我一样?
♪ Ain’t that just like me. ♪
我认为到了三十多岁,你会渐渐转变
DAVID: There’s a gradual shift when you reach mid 30s.
我认为在那时期,你必须作出决定
Uh, I think that there’s a period
where you have to decide not to try
别再试图去执着于 你在二十多岁时所拥有的
and grasp frantically for the feelings of desperation
那种绝望和愤怒的感觉
and anger that you have when you’re in your mid 20s.
若你能轻松接受这想法
And if you can relax into the idea that being mid 30s
认为三十多岁是个相当不错的阶段
is quite a nice place to be
而且你已拥有丰富的阅历
with an amount of experience behind you,
我认为观点会改变
I think the perspective changes.
你说过自己做过很多重复的事
INTERVIEWER: You said once that there’s
so many shells around you
令你不再去欣赏作品的成果
that you don’t know what the p… looks like anymore.
是的,但我已熬过那阶段 我很清楚自己是怎样的人
DAVID: Yeah, well I’ve gone through that.
I’m pretty aware of what I’m like.
-真的? -是啊
-INTERVIEWER: Really? -DAVID: Yeah, yeah.
我现在对自己与世界的关系 感到非常满意
I feel pretty-pretty happy about my own relationship
to the world, and…
我们必须积极面对 我们在这星球上的日子
We’ve got to be positive about our days on this planet.
我从没意识到你是如此乐观的人
INTERVIEWER: I never realized you were such an optimist.
我从不特别乐观
DAVID: Well, I never was particularly.
你比人们认为的更加浪漫