帕特请我帮个忙
Pat asked me a favor.
他说新泽西有几个搞对冲基金的家伙
He said there were a couple of hedge fund guys
他们想玩牌局
in New Jersey who wanted to play and
他可以跟他们得分
he could score points with them
前提是他能让他们和我见一面
if he was able to get them a meeting with me.
我答应了 然后把见面定在星期四下午五点的四季酒吧
I said sure and set the meeting for 5 p.m. on a Thursday
因为我知道如果他们真的是干那行
at the Four Seasons bar, knowing that if they were legit,
他们会在收市钟声后 减价供应饮料时间里
they’d recognize someone in the crowd at Happy Hour
在四季酒吧认出人群中的某个人
at the Four Seasons right after the closing bell.
事实证明 我没必要这么大费周章
It turns out I didn’t need to be that clever.
这些人不是金融家
These weren’t finance guys,
他们只是泽西男孩音乐剧中的演员
they were from the cast of Jersey Boys.
他们不自觉地环顾四周
They looked around the bar self-consciously,
他们与周围格格不入
they were out of their element.
那些难缠的家伙在没有安全感的时候 会让自己看起来更强硬
And tough guys try to look tougher when they’re insecure.
我预感到了他们想要什么
I had a good hunch what they wanted
我得尽快结束这次会面
and I was gonna have to shut down this meeting quickly
但我不会粗鲁对待
but without being rude to Joey Bag-a-Donuts
他们两位的
and Secaucus Sal.
我是茉莉·布鲁姆 很高兴见到你
I’m Molly Bloom, nice to meet you.
约翰·G
John G.
你是? – 保罗
And you are? -Paul.
喝一杯怎么样?
How do we get a drink?
我不记得另一个人点的什么了
I don’t remember what the other guy ordered
但我永远不会忘记约翰·G
but I’ll never forget what John G. had.
他看着服务员好像在说他可以
He looked at the waiter as if to say that he could handle himself
在曼哈顿的精英阶层中从容应对
just fine among the Manhattan elite and said,
我要一杯苹果马提尼
I’ll have an appletini.
好的
Okay.
你这周过得怎么样?
So, how was your week?
我的一周?很好 谢谢
My week? Uh, it was fine, thank you.
帕特说你们可能对牌局感兴趣
Pat said you guys might be interested in a game.
我们想和你合作
We want to partner with you.
我们和图蒂 威尔谈过了– – 特迪·陈
We’ve talked to Tooty, Will– -Teddy Chin.
特迪·陈
Teddy Chin.
我们也和他们有些往来
We do a little work with them too.
我们可以让你的生活更轻松些
We can make your life easier.
没人会瞎干涉你
Nobody’ll fuck with you.
没人会惹你
Nobody’ll stiff you.
我很感激…
I appreciate…
这个提议 但是真的
the offer but really…
我很好 我不背负
I’m fine. I don’t carry a
巨额债务 我很安全–
big debt sheet. I feel safe–
啊哈
Ahh.
你刚才撒谎了
You lied just then.
当你说你不背负一大笔债务的时候
When you said you don’t carry a big debt sheet.
你现在已经在这条街上欠了280万了
You’ve got 2.8 million on the street right now,
就在我们坐在这里的时候 我们做了调查
right as we’re sitting here, we do our research.
钱应该在你手里
That money should be in your hands
因为它就是你的
’cause it’s yours.
它是你的
It’s yours.
如果你没有钱
And if you don’t have it,
你就得从口袋掏出赢来的钱
you gotta go into your pocket to pay the wins.
伙计们 很抱歉
Fellas, I’m sorry,
这只是一场高赌注的友谊赛
it’s just a friendly game with higher stakes.
很高兴见到你
It was really nice to meet you though.
如果有什么我能帮你的 请告诉我
Let me know if there’s anything I can do for you.
我喜欢助人为乐
I like to do favors.
他们会把你们点的饮料记我账上
They’ll put your drinks on my card.
我的记忆中有一些空白
There are some gaps in my memory,
他们说当你经历过所谓的事件时这是很常见的
which they say is common when you’ve had what’s called an event.
例如 我不记得自己是从哪里来的
For instance, I don’t remember where I was coming from
当我把车开进我的大楼时
when I calked into my building.
我的门卫雷吉说 他那有包裹要给我
Just that my doorman, Reggie, said he had packages for me.
我在包房♥里有些东西给你
I think I’ve got some things for you in the package room,
我把它们送上去的 – 谢谢
I’ll bring them on up. -Thanks.
那是两周假期的第一个晚上
It was the first night of two weeks off
圣诞节和新年的假期
for Christmas and New Year’s.
我的计划是洗个澡
And my plan was to take a bath
尽量不吸毒
and try not to take drugs.
雷吉带着我的包裹来了
Reggie came up with my packages.
呃 抱歉 你找错了–
Uh, sorry, you’re in the wrong–
等等!好的 等一下 我已经–
Wait! Okay, hold on a second, I have–
别出声
Not a sound.
明白了么?
Do you get me?
我有钱
I have money.
全是现金
It’s all cash.
在哪?
Where?
保险箱
Safe.
它在哪?
Where is it?
在壁橱里
It’s in the closet.
给我看
Show me.
把钱和珠宝放到袋子里
Put the money and jewelry in a bag.
还有金条
Gold bars too.
别这样
Come on.
张开嘴
Open your mouth.
张嘴
Open your mouth.
这不是一条提议
It wasn’t an offer they made.
这不是一条建议
It wasn’t a suggestion.
我们只提醒你一次
This’ll be your only reminder.
你妈妈独自一人生活在科罗拉多 特柳赖德
Your mother lives alone in Telluride, Colorado.
是吗
Right?
是吗
Right?
是吗?茉莉
Right, Molly?
她早就不在那儿了
She doesn’t live there anymore.
是的 的确
Yes, she does.
我不能叫医生
I couldn’t call a doctor
或者去急诊室
or go to an E.R.
他们一看到我就会报♥警♥
They’d take one look at me and call the police.
我的眼睛又肿又黑
My eyes were swollen and black.
我的嘴唇裂了 流血了
my lips were cut and bloody.
我都感觉不到我的脸了
I couldn’t feel my face.
帕特安排的会议
Pat had set up the meeting.
是他们从他那里知道我住在哪儿的
And he was how they knew where I lived.
我在我公♥寓♥里呆了两个星期
I stayed in my apartment for two weeks
等着我的脸愈合
waiting for my face to heal.
等待一通我知道一定会来的电♥话♥
and waiting for the phone call I knew was coming.
但是电♥话♥没来
But the call didn’t come.
约翰·G怎么没来电♥话♥
Where was the call from John G.
或许你改变了主意?
“So maybe you’ve had a change of heart?”
十天之后 我第一次打开了门
After ten days I opened my front door for the first time.
在卡波 圣巴兹和南部海滩度过新年后
People were coming back into town
人们回到了城里
after New Year’s in Cabo and St. Bart’s and South Beach.
我的电♥话♥响了 “下一场赌局什么时候开始?”
My phone was blowing up with “When’s the next game?”
但是约翰·G没有发来消息
But nothing from John G.
就在八天前的
And then right there on the front page
纽♥约♥时♥报♥的头版上
of the New York Times from eight days ago–
近125人在全面围捕中被捕
“Nearly 125 Arrested in Sweeping Mob Roundup.”
这些家伙要么是躲风头
Those guys were either laying low
要么是被拘留了
or they were in custody.
有时候报应来的就是这么快
Sometimes God happens fast.
我的脸已经痊愈了 只要一点化妆品
My face had healed enough so that a little make-up
就能把伤痕掩盖起来
would hide the bruises that were left.
我组织了一周的赌局
I put together a week of games.
这一周的赌局里
One week of games
我得把他们欠我的280万弄到手
to get the 2.8 million I was owed
然后我就退出 彻底结束这一切
and then I was out, I was done.
一周的传奇赌局
One week of epic games.
我有一些伦敦的参与者在城里
I had some of my London players in town
俄♥罗♥斯♥人还拜访了来自墨西哥的朋友
and the Russians had visiting friends form Moscow.

你的评论可以尖锐,也可以湿疣!