几年前有一项调查调查
A survey was taken a few years ago
问了300位职业运动员一个问题
that asked 300 professionals one question:
在体育界发生什么事情最糟?
“What’s the worst thing that can happen in sports?”
有人说是输掉职业生涯的最后一场比赛
Some people answered losing a Game 7.
进球了!布鲁因斯赢了最后一场比赛!
He scores! Bruins win in seven games!
也有人说是没能接到四分球
And other people said getting swept in four.
还有人说是无缘世界杯
Some people said it was missing the World Cup.
危地马拉被淘汰!
Guatemala is eliminated!
一些巴西人说是输给阿根廷
And some Brazilians said it was losing to Argentina.
不只是在世界杯上 而是任何时间 任何比赛
Not just in the World Cup– anytime, ever, in any contest.
有个人回答
But one person answered that the worst thing
体育界最糟的事情
that can happen in sports
就是在奥♥运♥会上得了第四名
was fourth place at the Olympics.
这是个真实的故事 但是除了我以外
This is a true story, but except for my own,
其他的人都使用了化名
I’ve changed all the names
我尽力地模糊了他们的身份
and I’ve done my best to obscure identities
以防他们为人所知
for reasons that’ll become clear.
我是莫莉·布卢姆
I’m Molly Bloom
现在我在北美女子特技滑雪中排名第三
and right now, I’m ranked third in North America in Women’s Moguls.
我在丹佛以北两小时车程的科罗拉多的洛弗兰德镇长大
I grew up in Loveland, Colorado about two hours north of Denver.
我曾在科罗拉多大学的政♥治♥系学商业分♥析♥
I have a BA in Political Science from the University of Colorado
以3.9分的平均绩点毕业
where I graduated Summa Cum Laude with a 3.9 GPA.
哈佛法学院入学考试的平均分数是169分
The median L-SAT score at Harvard Law School is 169.
我的分数是173分
My score: 173.
87号♥上场 56号♥准备
Number 87 up. 56 on deck.
16年来 我一直向往冬天
I’ve spent 16 years chasing winter
同时也为世间一切完美的事物所教导
and being coached by the best in the world.
周日我总和父亲去锻炼
Sundays were for working out with my father.
感觉有点不太对
Something’s really wrong.
当我十二岁的时候 不知什么原因
When I was 12 years old, for no particular reason,
我的后背非常痛
my back exploded.
再坚持一下
Tough it out.
好吧
Good advice.
要端正态度
And lose the attitude.
不到十分钟之后 我就被送上了急救车
Less than ten minutes later, I was in the back of an ambulance.
我得了急性脊柱侧凸
I had what’s called rapid onset scoliosis.
我的脊椎弯曲了整整63度
My spine was curved at 63 degrees
我需要接受一个七个小时的手术
and I’d need a 7-hour surgical procedure that involved
矫正脊椎需要从我的臀部取出骨头
straightening my spine, extracting bone from my hip,
聚拢11块脊椎骨
fusing 11 vertebrae together
之后用钢钉固定聚拢的关节
and fastening steel rods to the fused segments.
她会好起来的
She’s gonna be fine.
我不能让她再滑雪了 尤其是特技滑雪
I wouldn’t let her ski anymore. Definitely not moguls.
很明显 让她滑雪也不太可能了
And obviously, skiing competitively is out of the question.
噢 我明白
Oh, I know.
一年之后我又开始滑雪了
I was on skis again in a year,
18个月之后开始特技滑雪
running moguls in 18 months
到我二十岁生日的时候 我开始为进入国家队努力
and by my 20th birthday, I’d made the U.S. Ski Team.
这是盐城湖奥♥运♥会资格赛的最后一轮
It’s the last round of qualifying for the Salt Lake City Olympics.
一场在鹿鸣谷的冠军争夺赛
This is the Champion Run at Deer Valley.
海拔8100英尺 坡度52度
The altitude’s 8,100 feet and the pitch is 52 degrees
像是大金字塔的侧面
which is the same as the sides of the Great Pyramids.
风速每小时20-25英里 风向从左向右
The wind’s 20-25 miles an hour blowing left to right.
坡顶的温度为零下三度
It’s three-below zero at the top of the slope
在我前面有17名滑雪者
and with 17 skiers in front of me,
这像是努力着陆在一个无穷大的冰冻湖面
it’s gonna be like trying to stick a landing on a frozen infinity pool.
琪琪冲出了她的路线
Kiki blew out of her line.
香农在第二次着陆的时候失去了平衡
Shannon was off-balance on her second landing.
他正在说的琪琪班迪和香农基布勒
He’s talking about Kiki Bandy and Shannon Keebler,
是我最有力的两个竞争对手
my two toughest competitors
她们在最后的滑道的时候有严重的减速
who had significant point deductions on their final runs.
我即将成为奥利匹克队的一员
I can make the Olympic team right now.
去得到它
Go get it
如果我在盐湖上有三个完美的滑雪道
And if I had three perfect runs in Salt Lake…
我生命中最好的滑道
the best runs of my life…
我可以打败澳大利亚人和瑞士人
I can beat the Austrians and the Swiss
被领奖台上的真实镜头记录下来
and have a realistic shot at the podium
然后去法学院 全新开始
Then law school and then a start-up.
这是成长为女企业家的基础
A foundation that seeds entrepreneurial women.
我父亲在坡底
My father’s at the bottom of the slope
用心灵感应告诉我 检查路线
telepathically telling me to check my line.
检查你的路线
Check your line.
我检查路线
I check my line.
参赛者准备
Competitor ready.
雪面接触良好 上半身稳定
Good snow contact, calm upper-body,
腿同步 姿势良好 线路没有偏差
legs together, good shape, no line deviation,
准备D-旋转 结果…
set up for the D-Spin, and…
稳定着陆
stick the landing.
现在你需要知道两件事情
Now two things you need to know
再下一个720度技巧之前
before the second trick which’ll be a 720.
第一件事是 现在路面情况很糟糕
The first is that when visibility is bad the way it is now,
比赛工作人员把松树扔在雪的表面
race officials toss pine boughs on the course
所以滑雪者要对前面路况有所准备
so the skiers have some foreground depth reference.
第二件事情是滑雪鞋的松紧
The second is that the tightness of your bindings
它决定于一个叫做DIN的装置
is determined by what’s called a DIN setting.
如果你是一个初学者 你的DIN装置可能会设置在二或三
If you’re a beginner, your DIN setting is probably a two or three.
如果你是一个经验丰富的业余滑雪者 你大概会设置在七或八
If you’re an experienced weekend skier, it’s probably seven or eight.
我的是15
Mine’s 15.
我的鞋子基本上焊接在滑板上
My boots are basically welded to my skis.
对…所以这是如何发生的?
Right…so how does this happen?
因为我刮到了一个松树枝
It happened because I hit a pine bough
它在雪天变得很硬
that had become frozen in the snow.
我精确地碰到了它
And I hit it so precisely
它轻而易举地刮断了我的绑带
that it simply snapped the release of my bindings.
就在那一刻 我没有时间思考在发生什么
Right in that moment, I didn’t have time to calculate the odds of that happening
因为我即将很糟糕地着陆
because I was about to land pretty hard
我手术过的脊椎上
on my digitally remastered spinal cord
是用模型将它们一块块聚拢在一起
which is being held together by spare parts from an Erector Set.
后退!后退!起开!
Back up! Back up! Move!
散开! -给她让出空间!
Watch out! -Give her room!
这边 让开!
That way, move!
这些都和扑克牌无关
None of this has anything to do with poker.
我提到到这个是因为 我想跟大家说
I’m only mentioning it because I wanted to say to whoever
体育界里最糟糕的事就是
answered that the worst thing that could happen in sports
在奥利匹克比赛里第四名
was fourth place at the Olympics…
认真地讲 去你♥妈♥的♥
seriously, fuck you.
你好?-茉莉·布鲁姆?
Hello? -Molly Bloom?
是茉莉布鲁姆么?-是的
Is this Molly Bloom? -Yes.
我是FBI特工托马西诺
This is Special Agent Tomasino at the FBI.
我们有你犯罪的证据
We have a warrant for your arrest.
你说什么?-我们在你门外
Sorry? -We’re outside your door,
出来 可以么?
we want you to come out here, okay?
现在听我说
Listen to me now.
把手放到我看得见的地方 -你是谁?
Make sure we can see your hands. -Who is this?
我是FBI特工托马西诺 布鲁姆女士
This is Special Agent Tomasino of the FBI, Miss Bloom.
你有30秒的时间开门
You’ve got 30 seconds to open your door
不然我们就冲进来
or we’re breaking it down.
你听懂我刚刚说的话了么?
Do you understand what I just said?
举起手来
Hands in the air.
举起手来
Put your hands in the air.
这是个误会-你是茉莉布鲁姆么?
There’s been a mistake. -Are you Molly Bloom?
慢慢地走向我
I want you to walk toward me very slowly.
好的 向前
Okay. Go ahead.
我 -慢点
I’m… -Slower.
慢点 再慢点
Slower. Slow down.
继续 继续
Come on. Come on.
我看不见 -走的再慢点
I’m having a hard time seeing -Walk slower.
手电筒晃到我的眼睛了-再慢点
the flashlights in my eyes– -Walk slower.
好的警官
Yes, sir.
手放墙上
Hands on the wall.