Your Honor, government agents
are trained to be skeptical.
我对自己或他的邻居的看法
I wasn’t satisfied with
my own opinion of him
都不满意
or the opinion of his neighbors,
我调查了他的过去
I investigated his past to see
看看他是否参与了任何其他犯罪活动
if he was engaged in any
other criminal activities.
我很高兴地说我找不到
I’m happy to say I couldn’t find any.
但我确实遇到了一些
But I did run across something
你可能想考虑的事情
which you might want to consider.
被告一生大部分时间
The defendant spent a
good part of his life
都在美国海军度过, 1918年, 当他41岁时
in the United States Navy,
and in 1918, when he was
他因勇敢而获得勋章
41 years of age,
he received a decoration for bravery.
我这儿有一份引文的照片复印本
I have a photostatic copy of the citation here.
如果你感兴趣的话
In case you’re interested.
你似乎为这个人付出了很大的努力
You seem to have gone to a great
deal of trouble for this man.
为什么?
Why?
这很难说, 法官阁下
That’s hard to say, Your Honor.
也许我受到了前几天读到的东西的影响
Maybe I was influenced by
something I read the other day.
是在我偶然捡到的一本书里
It was in a book I happened to pick up.
司法常常是由固定的规则来执行的
Justice is too often administered by fixed rules,
而不考虑人类心灵的感受
without regard for the feelings
of the human mind
或者人类内心的慈善
or the charity in the human heart.
你偶然捡到的一本书?
A book you happened to pick up?
是的, 法官阁下
Yes, Your Honor.
我是那本书的作者
I was the author of that book.
是的, 法官阁下
Yes, Your Honor.
尽管引用了我书中的话, 我仍然相信
Despite the quotation from
my book, I still believe
造假者, 无论他们是谁, 都必须被送进监狱
that counterfeiters, whoever
they are, must be sent to jail.
我们不能在这种情况或任何其他情况下破例
We cannot make an exception
in this case or in any other case.
这个人违反了法律
This man broke the law.
但是, 考虑到被告的极端年龄
However, in view of the
defendant’s extreme age
和, 呃… 考虑到其他因素
and, uh… the other considerations,
刑期将保持在最低限度
the sentence will be kept at a minimum.
9个月
Nine months.
谢谢, 法官阁下
Thank you, Your Honor.
好的, 先生. 真的很感谢
Yes, sir. Thank you indeed.
法官阁下, 我可以走近法官席吗?
Your Honor, may I approach the bench?
-谢谢你, 史蒂夫. 谢谢你! -船长
-Thank you, Steve. Thank you. -Skipper.
李先生
Mr. Lee.
谢谢你, 李先生
Thank you, Mr. Lee.
-在法庭上, 呃? -哦
-In court, huh? -Oh.
有人提醒我, 9个月的刑期
I have been reminded that
a sentence of nine months
不提供假释
does not provide for parole.
有人建议将其改为1年零1天
It has been suggested that it be
changed to a year and a day
这样被告就可以在4个月内出狱
so that the defendant could
get off in four months.
刑期改为1年零1天
The sentence is changed
to a year and a day.
谢谢你, 先生
Thank you, sir.
船长
Skipper.
哦, 看在上帝的份上
Oh, for heaven’s sake.
我还被提醒
I have also been reminded
这一判决必须附带罚款
that the sentence must
be accompanied by a fine.
我们也会让它成为名义上的
We will make this nominal, too.
罚款1美元
One dollar fine.
罚款1美元
One dollar fine.
哦
Oh.
船长, 也许你最好让我付钱
Skipper, maybe you’d better let me pay.
哦, 不. 不, 不
Oh, no. No, no.
我们走吧
Let’s go.
船长
Skipper.
再见
Good-bye.
我很快就来看你
I’ll come to see you very soon.
嗯
Mm.