我会再给你一次机会征求律师
I’ll give you another
opportunity to get counsel.
如果你愿意, 我同意延期
If you wish,
I’ll agree to a postponement.
法官阁下, 我可以走近法官席吗?
If Your Honor please,
may I approach the bench?
我被他的朋友要求代表被告辩护
I’ve been asked by his friends
to represent the defendant.
尽管他坚称他不需要我
And although he insists
he doesn’t need me,
但在法庭的批准下, 我想提出一些
with the court’s approval,
I would like to present
事实供你考虑
certain facts for your consideration.
-米勒先生? -是的, 先生
-Mr. Miller? -Yes, sir.
你能告诉我为什么你觉得
Will you please tell me
just why you feel
自己不需要律师吗?
you have no need for counsel?
嗯, 在我看来, 先生… 在我看来
Well, it seemed to me,
sir… it seemed to me
他将无缘无故地惹上一堆麻烦
he was going to a heap
of trouble for nothing.
你不为你可能要进监狱而感到不安吗?
Aren’t you disturbed that you
might have to go to jail?
监狱吗? 从来没有去过那儿, 法官
Jail? Never been there, Judge.
不能为一个我从未去过的地方而感到不安
Can’t be disturbed about
a place I’ve never been to.
法官阁下, 你可以亲眼看到
You can see for yourself, Your Honor,
尽管他反对……
that despite his objections…
那里可能有很多很好的人
Probably a lot of very nice people there.
接着说吧
Go ahead.
我想说的是, 法官阁下, 尽管他反对
I was going to say, Your Honor,
that despite his objections,
应该有人替他说话
someone should speak in his behalf.
但有一件事确实让我感到不安, 法官
But there’s one thing that
does disturb me, Judge.
-是吗, 什么事? -那个人念出来的东西
-Yes, what is it?
-The thing that man read out
关于美♥利♥坚♥合众国与我对抗的事情
about the United States
of America versus me.
恐怕那不是真的
I’m afraid that’s not true.
天哪, 美♥利♥坚♥合众国?
Goodness, the United States of America?
那是一个巨大的数量
That’s a tremendous amount of people
和你作对, 不是吗?
to have against you, isn’t it?
我有很多朋友, 法官
I’ve got a lot of friends, Judge.
他们中的一些人就在这个法庭上
Some of them are right here in this court.
我相信他们不会反对我
I’m sure they’re not against me.
如果法庭许可
With the court’s permission,
我想继续
I’d like to continue.
也许你最好得到他的许可
Perhaps you’d better get his permission.
哦, 让他继续吧, 法官. 他把事情挂在胸前了
Oh, let him go ahead, Judge.
He’s got it on his chest.
让他把事情卸下来吧
Let him get it off.
继续. 你得到了他的许可
Proceed. You have his permission.
法官阁下, 他已经认罪了
Well, Your Honor, he’s pleaded guilty,
关于这一点, 没有什么可说的了
so there’s nothing more
to be said about that,
但我恭谨地提请法♥院♥注意这一事实
but I respectfully call the court’s
attention to the fact
被告是一位老人, 73岁了
that the defendant is an old man,
73 years of age.
李先生, 我为一个73岁的老人感到抱歉
Mr. Lee, I’m sorry for a man 73 years old,
但我一直严厉打击造假者
but I have always dealt
severely with counterfeiters
这是一项公共政策
as a matter of public policy.
我认为没有理由仅仅因为他的年龄
I see no reason to depart from that policy
而放弃这项政策
merely because of his age.
李先生, 还有别的吗?
Anything else, Mr. Lee?
是的, 法官阁下, 有
Yes, Your Honor, there is.
我认为应该考虑意图
I think intent should be considered.
他开始制♥造♥假♥币♥的环境
The circumstances under which
he began his counterfeiting.
-他是个废品贩子 -确实
-He’s a junk dealer. -Sure.
现在, 很可能有一天他捡到的东西中
Now, it’s quite possible that
one day among the things
有一台印刷机和那些印刷版
he picked up was this printing
press and those plates.
当然, 它们引起了他的好奇心
Well, naturally they aroused his curiosity,
他决定用它们来做实验
and he decided to experiment with them.
-没有 -就像那个发现它们的男孩一样
-No. -Just as the boy who found them
在他的后院做实验
in his backyard experimented.
然而, 没有人会想到去起诉那个男孩
Yet no one would think
of prosecuting that boy.
-没有 -法官阁下
-No. -Now, Your Honor,
我不认为这是因为这个人…
I don’t contend that
because this man is…
不, 不, 李先生, 你错了
No, no, Mr. Lee, you’re wrong.
错了
Wrong.
他错了, 法官
He’s mistaken, Judge.
完全错误的
Quite mistaken.
我买♥♥了那台印刷机
I bought that printing press.
那些印刷板, 是我自己做的
And those plates,
I made those plates myself.
是的, 的确
Yes, indeed.
花了我不少时间
Took me quite some time.
你知道, 这并不容易
Not easy, you know.

No.
我不想让你产生错误的印象, 法官
But I wouldn’t want you to have
the wrong impression, Judge.

No.
李先生, 很抱歉要反驳你
Sorry to contradict you, Mr. Lee.
谢谢, 法官阁下
Thank you, Your Honor.
-你有什么建议吗? -嗯?
-What do you recommend? -Hmm?
没有建议
No recommendation.
在哪里, 呃… 布坎南吗?
Where is, uh… Buchanan?
那个特勤局的人呢, 呃…
Where’s the Secret Service man who, uh…
布坎南在场吗?
Is Buchanan present?
在, 法官阁下
Hey, Your Honor.
你有什么建议吗?
What do you recommend?
我从来没有同情过造假者, 法官阁下
I’ve never had any sympathy
for counterfeiters, Your Honor.
我现在也没有
I don’t have any now.
我同意法♥院♥的意见, 即造假者应该受到
I agree with the court that
counterfeiters should be
尽可能严厉的处理
dealt with as severely as possible.
谢谢你, 布坎南先生
Thank you, Mr. Buchanan.
如果法庭允许请求的话?
If it please the court?
我还想补充一点
There is something
I would like to add.
什么?
Yes?
虽然被告有罪
While the defendant
is guilty of a crime,
但我认为他不应该被视为罪犯
I-I don’t think he should
be treated as a criminal,
被视为社会的敌人
as an enemy of society.
他所做的并不是因为贪婪, 也不是因为…
What he did wasn’t because
of greed or because he…
不是因为他想快速致富
because he wanted to get rich quick.
他一次只印几张钞票
He printed just a few bills at a time,
只有在他非常需要钱的时候,
而且并不总是为了他自己
only when he needed money badly,
and then not always for himself.
你逮捕了这个人
You arrested this man.
你现在是为他求情吗?
Are you now pleading for him?
我知道这很不寻常, 法官阁下
I realize it’s unusual, Your Honor,
但被告是一个不同寻常的人
but the defendant is an unusual man.
问问他的邻居
Ask his neighbors.
问问他的许多朋友他们是否认为
Ask his many friends if they think
船长是社会的敌人
the Skipper is an enemy of society.
我问过他们
I asked them.
他们只知道他是一个善良, 温和, 诚实的人
They know him only as a kind,
gentle, honest human being.
就在刚才李先生试图为他辩护的时候
You saw an example of
it only a moment ago
你们看到了一个例子
when Mr. Lee tried to defend him.
船长不会想到不说实话
It just wouldn’t occur to
the Skipper not to tell the truth.
或者让任何人给它上色
Or even let anybody color it for him.
你很少能找到像他这样诚实的人
You don’t often find a man
with that kind of honesty.
法官阁下, 政♥府♥特工受过怀疑的训练