Yes, he’s inside.
喂?
Hello?
是的, 雷诺兹先生, 是真的
Yes, Mr. Reynolds, it’s true.
他被抓住了
He’s been caught.
不, 先生, 我不会那么说
No, sir, I wouldn’t say that.
你好, 麦克
Hello, Mac.
这是880吗?
This is 880?
咦, 这是博罗公园里的老头
Why, this is the old geezer
from Borough Park.
对, 还是我们在科尼岛的客人
Yeah, and our guest in Coney Island.
他们一直在问很多问题
They’ve been asking a lot of questions.
你也许也能想到一些
You might be able to think of some, too.
兄弟, 我可以要价100万
Brother, I could ask a million.
祝贺你
Congratulations.
谢谢
Thanks.
告诉我, 米勒先生
Tell me this, Mr. Miller.
你有没有想过这就像偷窃一样?
Did it ever occur to you that
this was like stealing?
每个接受你的假♥币♥的人
That every person who accepted
a counterfeit from you
都遭受了损失?
suffered a loss?
你听到了吗, 加拉格尔小姐?
Did you get that, Miss Gallagher?
哦, 我担心他说得太快了
Oh, I was afraid he was talking too fast.
你的问题是什么?
Uh, what was the question?
我说的是那些被你的假♥币♥困住的人
I was talking about the people
who got stuck with your bills.
-我想知道是否… -哦, 是的
-I wanted to know if… -Oh, yes.
是的
Yes.
嗯, 这没什么大不了的
Well, it didn’t amount to much.
我从来没有给过任何人1张以上的假♥币♥
I never gave anyone more than one bill.
确保这一点
Made sure about that.
你是说你早就计划好了?
You mean you planned it that way?
哦, 是的. 是的, 确实
Oh, yes. Yes, indeed.
我总是从他们那里买♥♥东西
And I’d always buy something from them.
他们可以从中获利
They could make a profit on that.
所以损失不是很大
So the loss wasn’t too great.
不到1美元
Less than a dollar.
我相信没人会介意的
I’m sure nobody minded it.
米勒先生, 我知道你在海军服役多年
Mr. Miller, I understand you were
in the Navy for many years.
机械师
Machinist.
头等舱
First class.
你有资格进入退伍军人之家
You were eligible to enter
a veteran’s home.
现在, 如果你没有对你的政♥府♥犯罪
Now, instead of committing a crime
against your government,
你不是更能证明自己是一个好公民吗…
wouldn’t you have proven a
better citizen if you had…
哦, 不
Oh, no.
天哪, 没有
Goodness no.
我想过这个
I thought about that.
我查了一下记录
I looked up the records.
政♥府♥每月为每个人支付82.70美元
It costs the government $82.70
a month for each person.
我不需要超过40或50美元
I didn’t need over $40 or $50.
为政♥府♥节省了很多钱
Saved the government a lot of money.
是的, 的确, 相当多
Yes, indeed, quite a bit.
他交给你了, 史蒂夫
He’s all yours, Steve.
把他带到专员处传讯
Take him down to the
commissioner’s for arraignment.
来吧, 船长
Come on, Skipper.
哦, 我要感谢你们所有人
Oh, I want to thank all of you.
你们一直对我很好
You’ve been very kind to me.
我试过了, 安, 但没有用
I tried, Ann, but it was no use.
他说我是个好人
He told me I was a nice man
我不能再用愚蠢的问题来烦他了
and would I please stop annoying
him with silly questions.
我知道
I know.
他坚持认罪
He insists on pleading guilty.
我甚至很难让他接受保释
I even had difficulty getting
him to accept bail.
-要我让他等一下吗? -是的, 麻烦了
-Shall I ask him to wait? -Yes, please.
你甚至不上法庭吗?
Aren’t you even going to court?
我不能把自己强加给他
Well, I can’t force myself on him.
谢谢你, 吉米
Thanks, Jimmy.
你知道奥尼尔法官吗?
You know anything about Judge O’Neil?
知道
Yes.
听着, 安, 你不妨做好准备
Look, Ann, you may as well be prepared.
他将不得不进监狱
He’s going to have to go to jail.
我唯一的希望就是把刑期缩短到
The only hope I had was
to cut the sentence down to,
嗯, 也许是1年或2年
well, maybe a year or two.
嗯, 1年或2年也没那么可怕
Well, a year or two wouldn’t be so awful.
-但我恐怕… -这在很大程度上取决于
-But I’m afraid… -A lot will depend on
特勤局办公室, 以及他们推动它的力度
the Secret Service office,
how hard they push it.
是的, 我知道 -布坎南可以帮忙
-Yes, I know that. -Buchanan could help.
是的, 他能
Yes, he could.
再次感谢你, 吉米
Thank you again, Jimmy.
有很多令人尴尬的问题
There were so many
embarrassing questions,
我不得不离开华盛顿
I had to get out of Washington.
我在这里只听到他是个古怪的人
And all I’ve heard here is what
a quaint character he is,
没人知道该拿他怎么办
that nobody knows what to do about him.
如果你看到他的话, 局长, 他是个无害的老头…
If you saw him, Chief,
he’s such a harmless old…
无害的? 把我们逼疯10年的人, 无害吗?
Harmless? The man who drove
us crazy for ten years, harmless?
嗯, 我自己就是个古怪的人
Well, I’m a quaint character myself.
我知道该怎么对付他
I know what to do about him.
我们会确保他像其他造假者一样
We’ll see to it that he’s
prosecuted to the fullest
受到最大限度的起诉
like any other counterfeiter.
布坎南在哪儿?
Where’s Buchanan?
我希望他没有被臭虫咬伤
I hope he hasn’t been bitten by the bug.
-我不这么认为 -嗯, 他在哪儿?
-I don’t think so. -Well, where is he?
好几天没见到他了
Haven’t seen him for the last few days.
他请了一段时间的假
He asked for some time off.
今天早上最好出现在法庭上
Better turn up in that
courtroom this morning.
他会来的, 局长. 别担心
He’ll be there, Chief. Don’t worry.
-我们去吃早餐吧 -好吧
-Let’s get some breakfast. -Right.
我不能远离
I couldn’t stay away.
你们在这里, 你们在这里, 你们在这里
Here ye, here ye, here ye.
尊敬的美国法♥院♥
The Honorable United States Court
纽约南区法庭现在开庭
for the Southern District of
New York is now in session.
早上好
Good morning.
早上好, 法官阁下
Good morning, Your Honor.
美♥利♥坚♥合众国诉威廉·米勒案
The United States of America
v. William Miller.
美♥利♥坚♥合众国?
The United States of America?
我的天啊
My goodness.
特勤局在听证会上清楚地证实
The Secret Service clearly
established during the hearing
被告承认传递的伪钞
that the bills the defendant
admitted passing
和多年以来送交给他们的伪钞
and those turned into them
over a period of years
具有相同的序列号♥
bear the same serial number.
法官阁下, 这起案件花费了美国特勤局
Your Honor, this case has cost
the United States Secret Service
比其整个历史上任何其他案件都多的
more time and money than any other case
时间和金钱
in its entire history.
我建议被告方…
I would suggest that the defendant…
嗯? 哦, 抱歉
Hmm? Oh, I’m sorry.
我建议被告方
I would suggest that the defendant
多注意一点
pay a little more attention.
温斯洛小姐是我的好朋友, 先生
Miss Winslow is a very good
friend of mine, sir.
这一点更为重要
This is more important.
好的, 先生
Yes, sir.
米勒先生, 在我宣判之前
Before I impose sentence, Mr. Miller,