传闻是真的吗
So, are the rumors true?
对 罗斯真的是女人
Yes. Ross is really a woman.
斯隆真的是蛇蝎美人?
Is Sloane the personification of an ice cube?
她都站着尿尿 我都不站着尿了
She pees standing up. And, like… I don’t even do that.
你说话有先经过大脑吗
Do you think before you speak?
早安 – 早安
– Good morning. – Morning.
要依序自我介绍吗
I was thinking, perhaps, we go around the table, introduce ourselves.
别让我们无聊死
Let’s spare ourselves the tedium.
想打破僵局 要用洞察力
If you want to break the ice, do it with insight.
我们在这里是要确保
We’re all here to ensure safe passage
希顿哈里斯控枪法案 可以变成联邦法
of the Heaton-Harris Bill into Federal law.
要怎么做
How do we do it?
就现实而言 我们办不到
Realistically, we don’t.
我们尽力而为 建立强大的支持基础
We fight as hard as we can, build a strong base of support,
能提高明年法案通过机率
so we have a better chance when they introduce next year’s Heaton-Harris,
或是后年 – 我不是大老远来
or the one after that. – I didn’t just move across town
然后设定目标 慢慢输掉
with the aim of losing as slowly as possible.
姓名和资历?
Name and seniority?
埃斯梅·曼尼克瑞安 九年
Esme Manucharian, nine years.
曼尼克瑞安 我听过这名字
Manucharian, I’ve heard that name.
埃斯梅是我们的控枪权威
Esme’s our authority on gun control.
相关事实和数据 没人比她更清楚
When it comes to facts and figures, she has no equal.
是你主导的 伊利诺斯州的隐蔽持枪禁令
You led the fight to preserve the concealed carry ban in Illinois.
最后没成功 但没错
Ultimately unsuccessfully, but, yes.
埃斯梅 为什么我们会输
Okay, Esme. Why are we going to lose?
布雷迪在选战上每花一块钱
For every dollar Brady spends on campaign contributions,
而拥枪方花多少吗
you know how much the gun lobby spends?
38块钱
– Thirty-eight. – Thirty-eight.
所以政客向钱看 但为什么
So, politicians bow to money. But, why?
钱不会直接进口袋 不然就是贿赂
It’s not going into their pocket, that’d be bribery.
就像印尼请杰克参议员度假
Like what the Indonesians just did to Senator Jacobs?
那是针对教育的合法贿赂 但没错
That was legal bribery for educational purposes. But, yes.
参议员的首要工作 并不是代表人♥民♥
A senator’s priority isn’t representing the people,
是保住职位 – 你真愤世嫉俗
it’s keeping his ass in office. – That is so cynical.
愤世嫉俗这词 是乐观主义者
“Cynical” is a word used by Pollyannas
用来炫耀他们的世故
to denote an absence of the naivety they so keenly exhibit.
你融入得真快
Wow. You settle in fast.
如果参议员只想保住职位
If senators only care about protecting their position,
不就变成舆♥论♥的奴隶?
wouldn’t that make them slaves to public opinion?
民调显示 多数人都支持控枪法案
Polling data puts a majority of Americans in favor of Heaton-Harris.
你们就是这样才会一直输
And that’s exactly why you keep losing.
这是我们对控枪法案的首波策略
Well, this is actually our first crack at guns,
但我懂你的意思
but I take your point.
什么意思 – 我们太相信舆♥论♥了
What point? – Public opinion is overrated.
参议员中期改选率为82%
Midterm re-election rates for senators was 82%.
出席投票人数仅36
Voter turnout was 36.
大多数都是收钱拥枪的
And I’ll bet most of them were paid-up members of the gun lobby.
谢谢你说出来了
Thank you.
我们对手培养一群大量狂热
Our opposition has created a base of voters, vast and fanatical,
只为枪♥支♥议题出来投票的选民
who go out and vote exclusively on the issue of guns.
我们要怎么赢
How do we compete with that?
得建立我们自己的支持基础
We build our own base of supporters,
一群愿意动身到投票亭
who demonstrate a willingness to get their asses into booths
投下反对拥枪的人
and vote against guns.
什么最能看出投票者意愿
What’s the best indicator of voter intention?
就是钱 – 那是第一个击破点
– Money! – Finance! That’s our first prong.
草根阶层 目标先锁定募款
Grassroots action aimed squarely at soliciting donations.
不是请♥愿♥书上签名 也不是网友按赞
Not names on a petition, not clicks in cyberspace.
他们知道我们要募多少吗 – 非营利组织必须报告财务状况
Will they know how much we’re raising? – Non-profits have to report on their finances.
提交日 国会都变成秃鹰盯着你
And every Congressional staffer watches filing day like a hawk.
你们在外面讨钱时
While you’re out there hustling,
我会去找有影响力的参议员
I’ll be working influential senators
可以吸他们同事的票
who can deliver their colleagues’ votes.
那是第二个击破点 第三个就是
That’s our second prong. Our third is
找到操控重点州票数的关键人物
to identify who holds sway in target states.
雇员 工人团体
Employers, workers’ groups.
不要直接跑到参议员办公室提案
Don’t just waltz into a senator’s office and make your case.
找出他们信任的人
Find out who they trust,
找出他们不敢招惹的人
who they can’t afford to piss off.
说服那个人去帮你提案
Convince that person to make your case.
这样我们才会赢
That is how we win.
你没开车吗
Not a driver?
我会开但我不开
I can, but I don’t.
比我还夸张 我是没有驾照
Well, you got further than me, I don’t even have a license.
我的存款和良心不允许我买♥♥车
My bank account and liberal conscience won’t justify my own car.
你的原因是?
What’s your excuse?
老实说我车技超烂
To be honest, I suck at it.
16岁就去考 唯一没过的考试
I took my test when I was 16. Only exam I ever failed.
教练说我太鲁莽
My instructor told me I was reckless,
缺乏应有的谨慎和专注力
I lacked due care and attention.
那时就知道我有做政客的天赋了
Knew then and there I had a career in politics.
你刚才很认真
You weren’t messing around in there.
你有认识的人
Did you know someone?
是枪♥支♥受害者?
Someone who was a victim of gun violence.
没有 为何大家都这样想
No, why does everyone assume that?
那就是看不惯?
Strong opinions, maybe?
好像我认为控枪有必要 非得跟自己有关系
As if I can only see the merits of an argument when I feel the effects personally.
有个国会议员 我忘了他名字
There was a Congressman, I don’t remember his name,
上任起就一直反对同志权利
his whole career he was against gay rights,
但当他弟一出柜 就马上转变立场
only to do a complete U-turn when his brother came out.
他的立场基础多有说服力
What a well-reasoned basis for an opinion.
让他进法♥院♥当法官吧
Give him a gavel, put him in a courthouse.
你饿了吗
Are you hungry?
你每晚都在这里吃?
You eat here every night?
差不多 这里从不打烊
Pretty much. Place never closes.
你怎么不会厌倦
How do you not get bored of it?
这是生活必需啊
It’s a necessity.
你会厌倦上厕所吗
It’s like asking if I get bored of going to the toilet.
好 这番话你听起来可能很怪
Okay, this is going to sound alien to you,
但在我心里 食物占据了无与伦比的地位
but food takes up an inordinate amount of space in my head.
枪呢
How about guns?
我在做调查时 发现你的履历很出色
In doing my due diligence, your résumé stood out.
注意到你大部分研究都和枪有关
I noticed a lot of your work pertains to firearms.
这应该是你刻意的决定
I’m guessing that was a conscious decision
执意要研究枪♥支♥?
to steer things in that direction.
这是我很有感觉的议题
It’s an issue I feel strongly about.
这不关我事 但你的履历有段空白
It’s none of my business, but there was a gap in your profile.
去伯克利上学之前
Before Berkeley, you attended high school
你在印第安纳州上高中
in Bloomington, Indiana, in the late ’90s.
但没有列出高中校名
The name of the school isn’t listed.
还有谁知道
Who else knows about this?
鲁道夫 没人知道了
Rodolfo. That’s all.
你能猜到我想法
You can imagine what I’m thinking.
抱歉 但我的事业是靠努力争取
I’m sorry, Elizabeth, but I earned my reputation.
不是因为我高中遭遇的事
It didn’t come from something that happened when I was in high school.
即便那件事影响我
Even if my views did.
公开这事会削弱我的立场
Going public could even weaken my standing.
会说我太情绪化
They’ll say I’m too emotional.
总之 枪手的枪甚至不是买♥♥的
Anyway, the shooters didn’t even buy their guns.
就算当时通过了控枪法案 也没用
Heaton-Harris wouldn’t have made a shred of difference that day.
你担心立场被削弱 会影响你推动改革的能力
You fear a weakened standing will damage your ability to effect change.
但若公开这件事 是输赢的关键呢
But if acknowledging it was the difference between winning and losing?
尽管对我一视同仁 我会很感激
I’d appreciate it if you just treated me as one of the team.
我看得出来你能力很强
A highly competent one, I can tell.
我们很幸运有你
We’re lucky to have you.
60是个神奇的数字
Sixty is the magic number.
60票能让议案通过
Sixty votes breaks a filibuster.
拥枪法案以41票获胜
So, the gun lobby wins with 41?
更少票他们也能赢 但我们需要60张
They could win with fewer. We need to hit 60.
少一票就不会成功 59票不会赢
Anything less doesn’t cut it. Fifty-nine doesn’t cut it.

你的评论可以尖锐,也可以湿疣!