Tom Thumb and Hunker Munker.
没错 汤姆 蹲蹲 你们准备好表演故事了吗
Precisely. Tom, Hunker, are you ready to play in a story?
当然 我们可是好演员
Oh, yes. We’re excellent actors.
那就等着瞧了 这就是对你们的考验
Well, we shall see about that. This will be your test.
坐那儿
Over there.
很久以前 两位出色的管家 露辛达和简
Once upon a time, those two excellent housekeepers, Lucinda and Jane,
在布置整齐的餐桌上
bought some shiny new porcelain food which they set out
摆上了新的瓷食物
on their perfectly appointed dining room table.
然后她们出去散步了
Then, they decided to go for a walk.
突然 厨房♥传来一阵打闹声
Suddenly, there came a scuffling noise from the kitchen.
大拇指汤姆和蒙克蹲蹲偷偷跑了出来
Tom Thumb and Hunker Munker crept out.
两只老鼠看到餐厅里的晚餐都已摆好
The two mice saw that the dining table was set for dinner.
大拇指汤姆跳上桌子 狠狠地咬了一口
Tom Thumb leapt up and took a big bite
第一个盘子里的食物 却硌断了牙
from the first plate and broke his tooth.
有人要来吗
Who we expecting someone?
是我的出版商
That’s my publishers.
不是社交性的来访 其实我挺害怕这种事的
It’s not a social call. In fact, I’m rather dreading it.
我还是希望你别把商人请进家里
I wish you wouldn’t invite trades people in to the house.
他们会带灰尘进来
They carry dust.
那下次 我去他们办公室好了
Well, next time, I shall go to their office.
诺曼·沃恩先生
Mr Norman Warne.
波特小姐
Miss Potter.
希望您原谅我这样打扰您的日常生活
I hope you will forgive my intrusion into your daily routine.
其实我以为会是…
I was expecting one of the…
当然 我是哈罗德和付殷的弟弟
Ah, yes, I am Harold and Fruing’s brother.
我最近刚刚加入了公♥司♥
I’ve recently joined the firm and
令我倍感荣幸的是
they have done me the great honour
他们把为您出书的事宜交给了我
of assigning your book to me.
谢谢 多谢您邀我来…
Thank you. It was most gracious of you to invite me to…
-上茶 -太好了 我正想来点
– Tea. – Yes, I would love some.
谢谢 柠檬茶
Yes, thank you. Lemon.
谢谢
Thank you.
真漂亮
Extraordinary!
真有趣
Funny!
可爱 神奇 又画得如此生动
Delightful and magical and so beautifully drawn.
言语真难以表达我的激动
I am utterly, utterly speechless.
或许我们该谈谈生意了 沃恩先生
Perhaps we should discuss our business, Mr Warne.
那我要十分不情愿地放下您的画了
I put your drawings aside with the greatest reluctance.
令兄在信中提出了两个请求
Your brother’s letter makes two proposals
而我觉得难以接受
which I find quite unacceptable.
首先 他们希望把画印成彩色的
First, they’d like the drawings to be in colour.
我坚持要印成黑白的
I’m adamant they be in black and white.
但彼得兔的蓝外套和红萝卜呢
But Peter Rabbit’s blue jacket and the red radishes,
您一定希望印刷品能完美再现画作的原貌吧
surely you would like your enchanting drawings reproduced as they are?
彩色当然是更好了
Well, of course I would prefer colour,
只是这样一来书的成本会大大增加
but colour will make the book cost far more
对这本书来说就太贵了 所以我坚持
than little rabbits can afford. I’m adamant.
而这就要说到令兄的第二个请求
Which brings us to your brother’s second point.
他们要把插图的数目减少近三分之一
They wish to reduce the number of drawings by nearly a third.
完全不可接受
Totally unacceptable.
容我解释 减少插图的主意
Let me explain. The idea of reducing the number of drawings
是我 而不是我哥哥出的
was not my brother’s but my own.
如果我们能将插图数目控制在三十一张
If we can reduce the number to 31 precisely,
那么整本书的插图
then the illustrations for the entire book
就都能印在一张纸上
could be printed on a single sheet of paper
使用所谓的三原色印刷
using what we call the three-colour process,
既能如您所愿 印成彩色的 又能降低成本
that you desire, and at a relatively low level of cost. Yes?
我真的对这本书下了很大心思
I’ve given your book a great deal of attention, truly.
我希望它能缤纷多彩地摆在书架上
I would like it to look colourful on the shelf
从其他普通的书中脱颖而出
so that it stands out from ordinary books.
您的确是下了不少心思啊
You have given it some thought.
您还负责过什么书呢 沃恩先生
Which other books have you supervised, Mr Warne?
-我自己吗 -对
– Personally? – Yes.
这将是我的第一本
This will be my first.
波特小姐 我前一阵正式向两位哥哥和母亲宣布
Miss Potter, I have recently informed my brothers and my mother that
我不愿再因为是家里最小的儿子
I am no longer content to stay at home and play nursemaid
就留在家当保姆
solely because I am the youngest son.
不 我要一份正式的工作 为家族公♥司♥工作
No. I would like a proper job, working for my family’s firm
于是他们就把您给了我
and they have assigned me you.
这下您明白了吗
Does that make things clearer?
也就是说 您毫无经验
In other words, you have no experience whatsoever,
但又坚持要得到机会
but because you’ve made a nuisance of yourself,
惹得他们心烦 于是他们就拿我糊弄您
demanding a chance, they’ve fobbed you off on me.
波特小姐 我十分清楚我两位哥哥的意思
Miss Potter, I know all too well what my brothers intended,
把您的…他们称为”兔子书” 给了我
giving me your, your ‘bunny book’, as they call it,
但我认为您的书十分迷人 有趣
but I find your book quite enchanting, delightful,
如果真如您所说 他们是想糊弄我
and if they intended to fob me off, as you say,
那我们就让他们看看
then we shall show them.
我们要拿出一本名震天下的兔子书
We shall give them a bunny book to conjure with,
而且是彩色的 您亲自去印刷厂看调色
in colours, mixed to your satisfaction in front of
一直到您满意
your very eyes at the printer.
印刷厂
At the printer?
那成何体统
Oh, I could never.
我亲自送您去
I will escort you there myself.
如果您允许的话
If you will allow me the the honour.
为什么不呢
Why would I never?
我当然会去的 我是个成年女人了
Of course I’ll go. I’m a grown woman.
维靳小姐也会去
Miss Wiggin will be there.
依我看艺术家完全没理由不能去印刷厂
I see absolutely no reason why an artist shouldn’t visit her printer.
太好了 波特小姐
Excellent, Miss Potter.
太棒了 谢谢
Jolly good. Thank you.
我会做好一切安排 而且我随时随地
I shall make all the arrangements, and I am, in every way,
亲爱的女士 任您差遣
my dear lady, at your service.
您和那些兔子 真了不起 抱歉
You and rabbits, extraordinary. Excuse me.
约翰逊 来拿小饰品
Johnson, come and get the charms, would you?
-慢点 放在那儿 -我会小心的 夫人
– Slowly, slowly. Put it there. – I will be careful, ma’am.
一 二 三…十
One, two, three… ten.
十岁的时候 妈妈缠着爸爸
When I was ten, my mother badgered my father
非要像其他时髦的家庭那样
into spending the summer in the Lake District,
去湖区度夏天
as did other fashionable families.
犹如逃脱牢笼的动物 我完全沉醉了
Like an animal released from its cage, I fell under its spell.
把罩袍穿好 过来
Mind your frocks now. Come here!
林子里净是仙子和小妖精
The woods are full of fairies and little folk
专找那些把衣服弄脏的小孩
that look for children that get their clothes dirty.
一找到这样的小孩 他们就趁夜色派出仙子兽
And when they find them, they send the fairy beasts at night,
仙子兽长着尖牙 就喜欢吃小孩
with sharp teeth and a ready appetite for young flesh.
-我来抓你了 碧 -不要
– I’m coming to get you, Bea! – No
好棒
Yes!
伯特伦 伯特伦
Bertram. Bertram!
别过去 那都是农夫的孩子
Don’t! They’re farmers’ children.
他们手上脏死了 走吧
Their hands. Germs. Come on.
伯特伦 伯特伦
Bertram! Bertram!
抓住他 碧
Catch him, Bea!
他在那儿
There he is!
是啊
Oh, yes!
快来
Come on.
别挡路
Out of the way!
在那儿
There!
在那儿呢
There he is.
我看就不用动鞭子了
I don’t think a thrashing will be necessary.
我今晚就不锁育儿室的窗户了
I’ll just leave the window in the nursery unlatched tonight.
仙子兽会解决她的
The fairy beasts will take care of the rest.
不要 我不会把自己弄脏的
No! I’ll stay clean!
伯特伦
Bertram.
碧翠丝 哪有男人会娶一个
Really, Beatrix, What young man is ever going to marry a girl
一脸泥的女孩啊
with a faceful of mud?
那我就不结婚了 这无所谓
Well, I shan’t marry, so it doesn’t matter.
你当然要结婚
Of course you shall marry.
女孩子都要结婚 我结婚了 你外婆也结了
All girls marry. I did. Your grandmother did.
就连菲奥娜有一日也要结婚
Even Fiona will one day.
-我不会结婚的 我要画画 -你的破画

你的评论可以尖锐,也可以湿疣!