“The long-needed modern guide to the understanding of girls growing up.”
“女孩成长的现代指导”
Quote: “”The most frank and objective book currently available.’ LibraryJournal. ‘”
注释“‘最直白和有用的书’图书期刊”
Oh, that.
哦,那个
“The years of puberty and early womanhood are difficult, even frightening, for many girls.
“青春期的几年是困难的,甚至对有的女孩来说是恐怖的
“This is the time they most need objective, factual information…
“这是她们需要有用的诚实的信息的时候…
and sympathetic advice about their physical and emotional changes.”
还有关于身体和精神上改变的善意的建议”
You know, we don’t have enough for two tables. There’s only seven of us.
你知道,我们不够两桌,只有七个人
That’s impossible. Tom’s not here yet.
不可能 汤姆不在
Is he coming?
他会来吗?
Sure. He is coming, isn’t he?
当然,他会来,不是吗?
You didn’t call him? I thought there were eight of us. He would have been the ninth.
你没叫他吗? 我认为我们有八个人,他是第九个
You told me that he… Well,just call him up. I’m sure he isn’t doing anything else.
你告诉我… 给他打电♥话♥好了,我肯定他没有什么事
Well, surely there’s… there’s someone else in New York who can play bridge…
嗯,在,在纽约肯定还有什么人也会玩桥牌…
other than Tom Townsend.
除了汤姆·唐萨德
I mean, you know, seven can play.
我是说,你知道,七个人也可以玩
What have you got against Tom?
你为什么敌视汤姆?
Just one thing… He’s not… not a good person.
就一个原因…他不…不是好人
Oh, what nonsense. Oh, all right. Go ahead.
哦,多么糊涂 哦,好,请吧
Call him if you want. I don’t care.
如果你愿意就给他打吧,我不在乎
Actually, I don’t think Tom approves of bridge, but we should ask him anyway.
实际上,我不认为汤姆会赞成玩桥牌,但是无论如何我们应该通知他
Well, have a seat.
请坐
Then just say you pass.
说不要
I pass.
不要
I couldn’t believe you were actually going to play bridge. It’s such a cliche of bourgeois life.
我不能相信你们在玩桥牌,这是中产阶级的陈腐生活
That’s exactly why I play. I don’t enjoy it one bit.
那正是为什么我爱玩它,我一点也不喜欢它
I intended to go and got as far as the door.
前几天我出不来
What happened? My mother got upset.
发生什么事了? 我妈妈很烦乱
She said that she couldn’t face being alone on Christmas Eve…
她说她无法在平安夜忍♥受孤独…
and that it was really important that the family be together then.
这时候全家在一起才好
My brother never comes home at Christmas anymore.
我哥哥圣诞节不再回家
So, anyway, I just stayed and had a traditional Christmas with Channel 1 1 ‘s traditional yule log.
所以,我只能呆在家里过传统圣诞节,看十一频道的传统圣诞节蛋糕
Oh, yeah. I think I’ve seen that.
哦,是的,我想我看到那个了
Noon on Christmas Day, every other year, we go to my father’s place.
以前每年的圣诞节中午,我们去我爸爸那里
I was a bit reluctant to go this year, actually, because I hadn’t been able to get in touch with my father all week.
我有点不愿意去,实际上,因为我好长时间没和我爸爸见面
But my mother insisted. It was a real nightmare.
但是我妈妈坚持,真是恶梦
First, the doorman at my father’s building wouldn’t let me up.
首先,我爸爸那个公♥寓♥的守门人不让我进去
I guess he didn’t remember me there from Christmas two years ago.
我猜隔了两个圣诞节他不记得我了
Then there was some confusion and whispering…
然后有点混乱,讨论…
and, finally, they gave me a piece of paper with a Santa Fe, New Mexico address on it.
最后,他们给我一张纸上面写着新墨西哥州圣达菲某地
They told me he’d moved to Santa Fe. I couldn’t believe it.
他们告诉我他搬去圣达菲了,我不相信
They took me up to the apartment, and except for some paper and litter…
他们带我上去,那里除了纸和干草…
and wire coat hangers lying around, it was completely empty.
铁丝衣服挂,几乎空了
He hadn’t told me anything about moving.
他没说过要搬家的事
It was quite a surprise.
太让人惊讶了
That’s awful. There must be some explanation.
太可怕了,一定有什么原因
He must have written you or something, and the letter got delayed.
他肯定给你写信了,然后信被延误了
I don’t know.
我不知道
And you had such a good relationship.
你们关系那么好
In retrospect, I wonder how good it was. I hadn’t seen him since last spring.
回忆起来,我不知道那究竟好不好,去年春天后我们就没见面
Maybe I was just kidding myself.
可能我只是和自己开玩笑
Oh, I’ve been reading Jane Austen. Persuasion.
哦,我读了简·奥斯汀的《劝导》
I like it. I was surprised.
让我惊讶的是我很喜欢它
The titled aristocracy are the scum of the Earth.
有头衔的贵族是下♥贱♥的
What really makes me furious is that you have a whole class of people…
真的惹恼了我,那让所有的人…
mostly Europeans- all looking down at me.
多数是欧洲人…轻视我
You always say “titled aristocrats.” What about untitled aristocrats?
你一直说“有头衔的贵族”,那没有头衔的贵族呢?
I couldn’t very well despise them, could I?
我不能轻视他们?
That would be self-hatred, which is unhealthy.
那将是人身攻击,是不健康的
You’re so conceited.
你真自以为是
Well, saying that the titled aristocracy are the scum of the Earth…
嗯,说有头衔的贵族是下♥贱♥的…
is -well, is obviously an exaggeration.
这话…明显夸大其词了
But… But it’s true that the forces that oblige members of the U.H.B….
但是…但是那迫使U.H.B.的成员…
to at least appear to act productively and responsibly…
至少可以有责任的…
carries little weight, or none at all…
忽视那些…
with members of society whose social positions are secure no matter what they do.
受特权保护的人
So you had a trust fund? The pieces are beginning to fall into place.
你有一个信托基金?那些开始出现了
I don’t have one anymore.
现在没有了
Well, that’s less important.
嗯,那不重要
I mean, so-so… sociologically, I mean, what’s important is…
我是说,在社…社会学上,重要的是…
having grown up with the assumption of material security.
对物质社会成长所作的假定
It… It explains a lot.
那说明很多
I call.
我叫
I had no cards. Why did you call?
我没牌了,你为什么叫呢?
I felt like it.
我喜欢
Playing strip poker with an exhibitionist somehow takes the challenge away.
和一个暴露狂玩扑克脱衣服就失去成就感了
His name is Frank Goodrich. He handles some financial things for my father.
他叫弗兰克·古瑞驰,他给我爸爸管理一些财务上的事情
Actually, it’s a tremendous relief, not having that hanging over my head anymore.
对我来说那是极大的解脱,不用再缠着我了
Really?
真的?
There was a big load of guilt that went with it, even though it wasn’t that much money…
做那个总是很内疚,即使没有多少钱…
and I never really counted on having it.
并且我也不指望那个
You’re a tragic case. You’ve just been robbed, and it’s a great relief to you.
真悲惨,你被剥削了,对你来说真是巨大的解脱
In part, regarding the money.
部分是的,在钱的方面
Regarding my relationship with my father, of course I’m concerned.
考虑到我父亲的关系,我当然关心
He moves to another state without telling me…
他没通知我就搬到了另一个州…
he doesn’t write or call me for over a month…
他有一个月没给我写信或打电♥话♥了…
and basically has me disinherited.
然后剥夺了我的继承权
Obviously, our relationship is not what I thought it was. Geez.
明显的,我们不再是我想象的那种关系了 神啊
It’s as if he were incredibly angry with me, but I can’t think of why.
好像他对我很生气,但我不知道是为什么
I don’t know what it could be. You don’t?
我不知道那是什么 你不知道?
No.

One word… “stepmother”.
一个原因…“继母”
Well, I hope I can talk to them and straighten things out.
我可以和他们谈,澄清这件事
I’m sure nothing you did or said has anything to do with it…
我肯定你做什么都没有用…
and nothing you say or do will change anything.
你什么都不做,也许一切都会改变
That’s awfully pessimistic. It’s the way things are.
那太悲观了 事实如此
The most important thing to realize about parents…
对父母的认识,最重要的一点就是…
is that there’s absolutely nothing you can do about them.
你完全对他们无能为力
You look terrific.
你看起来真可怕
You like it?
你喜欢吗?
This is really decadent. This is nothing.
真颓废 这没什么
Something’s happened to Nick. It’s my head.
尼克出事了 发生什么事了
It’s my head. It’s my head. What’s happened?
这是我的头,这是我的头 发生什么事了?
There was this guy at school Nick liked to imitate saying this.
这是尼克学校的一个家伙,服用致幻剂,然后就这样
He had taken mescaline, and he went around doing this about his head.
尼克总喜欢这样取笑他
It’s my head. It’s my head. “It’s my head.”
这是我的头,这是我的头 “这是我的头”
Nick took mescaline? No. I mean, it was the other guy, Voss.
尼克服用致幻剂了? 不,我是说,是另一个人,瓦斯
We did take mescaline. You what?
我们用致幻剂了 你什么?
He shouldn’t be reacting this way though. I don’t know what happened.
他不应该有这么大的反应的,我不知道发生了什么
It was really mild.
只用了很少量的
Are you joking?
你在开玩笑吗?
It’s called Truth.
我说游戏规则
You stretch a Kleenex over the mouth of a glass and place a dime on it.
拿一张面巾纸蒙住杯子口,上面放一个硬币
We each take turns burning a hole in it with a cigarette.
我们轮流拿香烟在面巾纸上烫出洞来
If the dime falls in on your turn, you lose…
如果轮到你的时候,硬币掉落了,你就输了…
and you have to answer, with absolute honesty…
然后你就要完全诚实的回答…
whatever question you’re asked, no matter how embarrassing.
你被问到的问题,不管这问题多么让人为难
Yeah. The more embarrassing, the better.
是,越难堪越好
What are you reading?
你在读什么?
The Story of Babar.
《小象巴巴的故事》
I forgot how beautiful it was.
我似乎都忘记了它有多美了
Sometimes you can find out the most amazing things.
有时候你能发现最惊人的事
It can really be incredible.
真的难以置信
I don’t think we should play this. Why not?
我认为我们不应该玩这个 为什么不呢?
There are good reasons why people don’t go around telling each other their most intimate thoughts.
人们有理由不说出自己最私密的事情
What do you have to hide?
你要隐瞒什么呢?
No, I just know that games like this can be really dangerous.
不,我只是知道这样的游戏很危险
Dangerous? I don’t see what’s dangerous about it.
危险? 我看不出这有什么危险
You don’t have to. Other people have. That’s how it became a convention.
你看不出来,别人能,那很自然
People saw the harm that excessive candor can do.
过分的坦白会给别人造成伤害
You admit that it’s basically just a social convention then.
你认为那基本上像是一个社会?

你的评论可以尖锐,也可以湿疣!