I went to the first one almost accidentally and that night just happened to fall in…
我第一次是偶然参加的,在那天晚上我正好…
with an extraordinarily nice group of people.
见到了一群很好的人
Otherwise I wouldn’t have gone to any more.
否则我就不会再参加舞会了
I’d hardly call Nick Smith nice. He’s a terrible snob.
尼克·史密斯可不能算是好人,他是势利眼
He’s basically a nice guy, I think.
他基本上是个好人,我认为
His behavior toward Rick has been vicious.
他对瑞克的那些做法简直是邪恶
What did he do?
他做什么了?
Tried to make a big stink about some girl. Rick didn’t want to talk about it.
试图在女孩中把他的声望搞臭,瑞克不想谈论这个
Apparently it was awful.
这显然很糟糕
Rick thinks Nick could be really crazy.
瑞克认为尼克可能是真疯了
I’m just worried that something’s happened to him.
我只是担心他可能发生意外
I don’t see how… how anything could happen to him in a hotel.
我不认为他在旅馆里能发生什么
Maybe it was the same thing that happened to Fred.
同样的事可能发生在弗瑞德身上
Tom hasn’t had much experience in places like these.
汤姆还不熟悉这个地方
Maybe he went through one of those fire doors that lock from the inside and shut himself in the stairwell.
他可能会穿过一扇从里面锁着的消防门,把他自己锁在楼梯井里
The fire stairs here aren’t like that. I’ve had to use them when people have forgotten to invite me to their parties.
这儿的消防梯不是那样的,我曾经使用过,当人们忘记邀请我共话时
I’ve never had any trouble.
我没有遇到任何麻烦
I just don’t understand where he could be.
我只是不知道他能去哪里
Well, that… that’s interesting…
嗯,那…那很有趣…
because actually there’s very little social snobbery in the United States.
因为实际上美国只有很少的势力眼
I mean, it’s considered unacceptable.
我是说,那是人们无法接受的
There’s almost a national taboo against it.
甚至有国家和宗教上的禁忌来反对它
It’s looked down upon. That’s good, isn’t it?
那样会被看不起 很好,不是吗?
No, I’m not talking about what’s good or bad.
不,我不是探讨它的好坏
I’m just making a-a-an observation of fact.
我只是观察一-一个事实
Well, I think it is good.
嗯,我想那很好
I can’t stand snobbery or snobbish attitudes of any kind.
我无法忍♥受任何势利眼和势利的态度
Could you see who’s there?
你能看看那是谁吗?
Sorry to be so late. Where were you?
很抱歉来晚了 你去哪里了?
Didn’t Fred tell you? Tell us what?
弗瑞德没有告诉你吗? 告诉我们什么?
The only thing we heard from Fred was.
我们只从弗瑞德那里听到了一件事
Fred left ages ago. God, Audrey, I’m sorry.
弗瑞德很早就离开了 上帝,奥德丽,对不起
Why? I asked Fred to tell you if I didn’t get back…
为什么? 我让弗瑞德和你说一声,如果我不回来的话…
Don’t worry. It’s nothing.
别担心,没事了
Well, where were you? I had to take Serena home.
你去哪里了? 我送塞丽娜回家
She was feeling badly and she was going to go home alone.
她不舒服,不能让她自己回家
She’s broken up with Rick. It just took longer than I expected.
她和瑞克分手了,所以时间比我估计的要长
I asked Fred to tell you that if I didn’t make it back, I’d meet you here.
我让弗瑞德如果我不回到舞会上,我就来这里
We didn’t get that message. We thought you’d gotten trapped somewhere in the hotel.
我们没有得到这条信息 我们还以为你在旅馆里迷路了
Audrey was very concerned. I’m very sorry.
奥德丽很担心 我非常抱歉
You sound very sorry.
听起来是很抱歉
I find it very hard to believe that Serena broke up with Rick.
我很难相信‘她和瑞克分手了’
It was probably the other way around.
很可能恰恰相反
I’m worried about Audrey. She seems to have taken this so hard.
我担心奥德丽,她可能太担心了
I’m a bit surprised.
我有点惊讶
I had no idea Fred was gonna get sick.
我不知道弗瑞德病了
You know, where… where do you get off?
你知道,你是…你是从哪里离开的?
I mean, you’re surprised?
我是说,你惊讶?
You were Audrey’s escort, yet you blithely left her stranded in the middle of the dance.
你是奥德丽的舞伴,可是你却把她扔在舞池中♥央♥
And then you try to shirk the whole thing off on Fred.
但是你却把责任推给弗瑞德
I was not trying to shirk the whole thing off on Fred.
我没有把责任推给弗瑞德
And I wasn’t even Audrey’s escort. We were all there as a group.
我不是奥德丽的舞伴,在那里我们是个整体
In any case, I’m very sorry there was a mixup. There was no mixup.
无论如何,我还是对这个混淆感到抱歉 没有混淆
Well, it wasn’t intentional.
好,那不是有意的
When you’re an egoist, none of the harm you do is intentional.
如果你是个人主义者,所有的伤害都不是有意的
You’re going already?
你要回去了吗?
Yes. I’m really tired. Just a second. I’ll get my coat.
是的,我有点累了 等一下,我去拿外套
No, that’s okay. Charlie said he’d take me.
不,不用了,查理送我
I’d like to. No, really.
我非常愿意送你 不,真的不用了
Don’t bother.
不用麻烦了
Listen, I’m really sorry about what happened tonight.
听着,我真的对今晚发生的事感到抱歉
I thought I’d be back much more quickly. It’s not important.
我以为我会很快回来 那不重要
Thank you very much. Oh, good night.
非常感谢 哦,晚安
You ready? Good night.
好了吗? 晚安
Good night, Audrey. Feel better.
晚安,奥德丽 感觉好点
I never thought of myself as a bastard, an egoist.
我从没想过我自己是个杂种,利己主义者
Listen, don’t flatter yourself.
听着,别那么夸自己
Charlie’s standard of polite behavior is so exaggerated.
查理礼貌的行为准则有点过分了
At school he used to individually answer all his junk mail.
在学校的时候他经常给所有的来信写回信
I suppose he thought someone’s feelings would be hurt if he didn’t.
他认为如果他不这样做,就有人会受到伤害
I like him a lot, but don’t try to understand his thought processes.
我很喜欢他,但并不想了解他的想法
The summer I met him… We were 1 0 …
那年夏天我见到他…我们十岁…
he was trying to establish communications with the seagulls of Easthampton.
他正试着与东汉普顿海鸥建立联♥系♥
It was utterly hopeless. The Easthampton seagulls are complete morons.
那是完全没有希望的,东汉普顿海鸥完全是白♥痴♥
We still spent several afternoons approaching shore birds, saying…
可是我们还是花费了多个下午接近海岸,说…
“We come in friendship.”
“我们是友好的”
They could not have cared less… much like his efforts with girls in recent years.
它们没有任何反映,正如他这几年和女孩们相处的情况一样
Great. I’m hated by the preppy St. Francis.
太好了,我被圣弗朗西斯所怨恨了
I wouldn’t worry about it.
我一点也不担心
That’s the building where my father lives.
那是我爸爸住的地方
Do you know Kate Preston? She lives there. No.
你知道凯特普雷斯顿吗?她住在那里 不
Will you look at this?
你看到过吗?
It’s incredible, the things some people throw away.
有些人扔掉的东西让人难以置信
Steiff stuffed animals. An Aurora model motoring set.
动物,成套的摩托模型
A Derringer. Do you remember the Derringer craze?
大口径手♥枪♥玩具,你还记得对大口径手♥枪♥的狂热吗?
These are the toys of our generation.
那是我们这代人的玩具
The childhood of our whole generation is represented here…
我们整个一代人的童年生活…
and they’re just throwing it out.
被他们就这么扔掉了
Maybe we should rescue the electric car set.
可能我们可以挽救这些电车玩具
Could really add to these after-parties.
把这个拿到聚会上
Uh, I turn here. Oh. See you tonight.
嗯,我在这里转了 哦,今晚见
Listen, don’t take this thing with Charlie too seriously.
听着,这件事,别太在意查理
No. See you tonight.
不会,今晚见
My feeling is that what happened last night had no real significance.
我昨晚的感觉和表现没有意义
It was just bad luck that Fred got sick.
只是因为弗瑞德病了而没送达消息
I can’t believe you’re talking like this.
真不敢相信你这么说
He totally humiliated you last night.
他昨晚让你那么丢脸
Whether I’ve been humiliated or not is something I can judge for myself.
我是否丢脸,我自己会判断
Besides, I don’t think Tom’s that way.
另外,我不认为汤姆是那样的人
Well, I’m not sure you can judge for yourself.
嗯,我不确定你是否能自己判断
Be careful, Audrey.
小心吧,奥德丽
There’s something dubious about Tom. What?
汤姆有些地方很可疑 什么?
This whole thing about his being a radical when he’s obviously not…
他自称是一个激进分子,可是明显又不是…
and being over Serena when he’s obviously not.
还有和塞丽娜分手,却也明显不是
Everyone has some contradictions.
每个人都是矛盾的
Anybody with as many conflicts as Tom…
一个像汤姆的人…
even if he seems nice, is better not to get involved with.
尽管好像很好,还是不要与之纠缠了
By those standards, none of us should get involved with anyone.
用这个标准,我们不应该和任何人交往
Well,you’re probably right, but in this case certainly.
嗯,你大概是对的,但是保持警惕吧
Tom is the only guy I’ve ever liked in my whole life.
汤姆是我生命中唯一喜欢的男孩
I’m not gonna forget about him because of some apparent inconsistencies.
我不会因为一些外表的矛盾而忘记他
You hardly even know him. I know him very well.
你甚至不了解他 我很了解
You couldn’t. You only just met him.
你不了解,你只是和他见面
Well, I do.
我了解
I didn’t know you sent out Christmas cards.
我不知道你发圣诞卡了
Well, I haven’t in years.
我好长时间没发了
When we moved, do you know what happened to my toys and things?
我们搬家时,你还记得我的玩具放哪里了吗?
They were put in storage.
储藏起来了
Do you think some of them could have been sent to Dad’s?
那些东西是否在爸爸那里?
It’s possible. Why? Do you want them?
很可能,为什么问这个,你要它们?
You’re a bit old for that sort of thing. No, I just had a feeling they went to Dad’s.
你不适合玩那些了 不,我只是感觉它们在爸爸那里
Well, why don’t you call him then? I have. There’s been no answer.
那你为什么不打电♥话♥给他呢? 我打了,没人接
There’s something about winter in the city at night, with everyone dressed up…
当人们在冬季穿起了大衣…
that reminds me of War and Peace.
让我想起了《战争与和平》
Really? Do you know what I mean?
真的? 你明白我的意思吗?
Yeah, I think so, though I haven’t read it.
我想是的,虽然我没有读过
Well, I don’t think “preppy” is a very useful term.
我不认为“泊瑞皮(preppy)”有用
I mean, it might be descriptive for someone who is still in school or college…
我的意思是,可能对于学生来说很好…
but it’s ridiculous to refer to a man in his 7 0s, like Averell Harriman, as a preppy.
但是对于七十岁的人来说就很荒谬了,比如艾瑞·哈里曼
And none of the other terms people use… WASP, P.L.U., et cetera… are of much use either.
其他的团体没有人用类似…WASP,P.L.U.,et cetera…什么的

你的评论可以尖锐,也可以湿疣!