All what? Well, I …
所有什么? 嗯,我…
I think that… that… that we are all, in a sense, doomed.
我认为…我们所有的,在感觉上,是宿命的
What are you talking about?
你在说什么?
Downward social mobility.
社会的退步
We hear a lot about the great social mobility in America…
我们知道许多关于美国社会的灵活性…
with the focus usually on the comparative ease of moving upwards.
通常人们关注的是比较容易的向上流动
What’s less discussed is how easy it is to… to go down.
被忽略的是向下流动的状况
I think that’s the… the direction that we’re all heading in.
我认为那是…我们都回避的方向
And I think that the downward fall is gonna be very fast.
我认为走下坡路是很快的
Not just for us as individuals, but the whole preppy class.
不仅仅是我们这些个体,还有整个社会群体
Where do you get all this?
你这些观点是丛哪里来的?
Well,just look around. Take those of our fathers who grew up very well off.
看看你的周围,把你父亲带给你的优越条件去掉
Maybe their careers started out well enough…
可能他们的事业很顺利…
butjust as their contemporaries really began to accomplish things…
但是正如他们的时代的结束…
they started to quit…
他们开始退出…
on rising above office politics…
在仕途上…
or- or refusing to compete and risk open failure.
或-或者害怕失败而不再冒险
Or not… not doing the humdrum part of the job.
或者不…不干工作中单调的那部分
Or only doing the humdrum part.
或者只做单调的那部分
Or gradually spending more and more time on something more interesting …
或者在有趣的事情上花费越来越多的时间…
um, conservation, or the arts…
嗯,保持,或者艺术…
where even if they were total failures no one would know it.
甚至他们自己完全失败的领域没有人愿意搞清楚
Okay.
好
I guess we all know who you’re talking about.
我想我们都知道你在说谁了
I can’t deny your point, but…
我不能否认你的观点,但是…
unlike you, I’ve always assumed I’d be a failure anyway.
不像你,我一直都是先假定我是个失败者
That’s why I plan to marry an extremely rich woman.
那就是为什么我要计划娶一个非常富裕的女人
Pretty depressing.
很压抑
A bit overstated, don’t you think?
有点夸大了,你不这样认为吗?
I’m not so sure. “Doomed.”
我不确定 “宿命的”
Even if he were right…
即使他是对的…
it wouldn’t be any great tragedy if some of these people lost their class prerogatives.
如果那些人失去了他们的特权,也不会发生什么灾难
“These people” are everyone I know.
“那些人”都是我熟知的
And besides, it’s not a question of losing class prerogatives, whatever that means…
另外,那也不是关于失去特权的问题…
but the prospect of wasting your whole productive life…
而是浪费你整个精彩生命…
of personal failure.
变成失败者的悲惨前景
That’s so melodramatic.
那太夸张了
Life is melodramatic, if you look at the whole sweep of it.
生命本身就很夸张,如果你整体的去看
I don’t know.
我不知道
I think my father considers himself a failure…
我想我爸爸会认为他自己是个失败者…
although I don’t think he’s one.
虽然我不这么认为
I guess few people’s lives…
我猜只有少数人…
match their own expectations.
过着自己期望的生活
I always drink two glasses of water before going to bed anyway.
我一直坚持睡前喝两杯水
It’s great for your complexion.
对皮肤好
I thought I should mention I’m putting you on the floor committee for the Christmas ball.
我想我应该介绍你进圣诞弹球协会委员会
Essentially, all it means is, you’ll be able to go on your own rather than as someone’s escort…
实际上,这意味着,你可以独自来参加聚会,而不用做某人的护花使者…
and that you’ll get a white carnation for your lapel.
那样你就可以在领子上别一朵白色康乃馨了
Thanks a lot, but actually I’m not planning to go to any more dances.
多谢,但是实际上我没有计划参加更多的舞会
You weren’t?
你拒绝吗?
Well, I strongly advise you to change your mind.
嗯,我强烈建议你改变主意
Is it that your resources are limited?
是因为你资金紧张?
This is about the only economical social life you’re gonna find in New York.
这是在纽约你能找到的最经济的社交场合了
Music, drinks, entertainment, hot, nutritious meals…
音乐,饮料,表演,热食物…
all at no expense to you.
都物有所值
Basically, all you need is one suit of evening clothes…
基本上,你只需要一件晚礼服就够了…
and a tailcoat.
还有一件燕尾服
Dances are either white tie or black tie, so you only need two ties.
舞会只需要白领结或者黑领结,所以你只需要买♥♥两个领结
You rented that from where? A.T. Harris.
你从哪里租的衣服? A.T.Harris
Oh, good! You know about Harris.
哦,好!你知道Harris
They also sell them secondhand, very inexpensively.
他们也买♥♥自己牌子的二手货,很便宜
It’s a good arrangement. Thanks a lot.
这样安排很好 非常感谢
My resources are limited, but actually that’s not it.
我的确手头很紧,但不是因为这个
I know. You’re opposed to these parties on principle.
我知道,你原则上反对这种聚会
Yes. Exactly what principle is that?
是的 那你的原则,严格来说是什么?
Well …
嗯…
The principle that one shouldn’t be out at night eating hors d’oeuvres…
原则是当一个人要晚上回家,就不应该夜间外出,吃开胃食品…
when one could be home worrying about the less fortunate.
担心失去幸福
Pretty much, yes.
很接近,是的
Has it ever occurred to you that you are the less fortunate?
那你体会过失去幸福这种事吗?
I mean, there’s something a tiny bit arrogant…
我是说,有很多自大的东西…
about people going around feeling sorry for other people they consider less fortunate.
让人们认为他们对另外一些人的不幸福感到抱歉
Are the more fortunate really so terrific?
幸福真的那么惊人吗?
Do you want some much-richer guy going around saying…
你希望那些富家子弟在身边说…
“Poor Tom Townsend doesn’t even have a winter jacket… I can’t go to any more parties”?
“可怜的汤姆·唐萨德甚至都没有一件冬装…为此我不会加入任何政党”?
That’s a bit cynical.
这话太愤世嫉俗了
This is not just a matter of what you personally prefer.
这不是你自己更喜欢什么的问题
I’ll tell you this in confidence. You’ve made a big impression on these girls …
我私下里和你谈论这个,你就会对这些女孩更加了解了…
Oh, come on! No, I’m serious.
哦,算了吧! 不,我是认真的
They like you and are now counting on you as an escort.
她们喜欢你把你当作护花使者
Well, I like them, too, but that doesn’t …
我也喜欢她们,但那不是…
I’m not sure if you realiZe this, but these girls are at a very vulnerable point in their lives.
我不确定你是否认识到,这些女孩在生活中都很脆弱
All of this is much more emotional and difficult for them than it is for us.
所有这些对她们来说更加情绪化和困难,甚于对我们
They’re on display.
她们在展示
They have to call the guys up and invite them as escorts.
她们需要叫上男孩,邀请她们
And preppy girls mature socially much later than others do.
为未来的成人社交生活做准备
For many of them, this is the first serious social life they’ve had…
对于她们中的大多说来说,这是她们的第一次严肃的社交生活…
and if you just disappear now, they’re gonna take that as personal rejection.
如果你这时候消失,她们会把这看成是对她们的拒绝
Give me a break. I’m not entirely joking.
让我歇歇吧 我一点也没有开玩笑
You should go.
你应该来
IfThorstein Veblen were here, he’d tell you the same thing.
如果托尔斯坦·维布伦在这里,他也会这样告诉你
I’ll meet you at 4:30 at Brooks, main floor, southwest corner…
我们下午四点半在Brooks见,一楼大厅,西南角…
where the pajamas intersect with the expensive shirts…
长裤和衬衫柜台那边…
right across from the undershorts counter.
在男士短裤的对面
As a romance, it never really existed.
作为罗曼史,那件事从没有发生过
Really? I made a classic mistake.
真的? 我犯了一个经典的错误
I fell in love with Serena long before I met her.
我在遇到塞丽娜之前就爱上了她
I’d seen her at a Chapin dance, but I didn’t really meet her until a year later.
我在舞会上见到过她,但是我在一年后才正式和她见面
Even before we started going out, I’d built up this huge romantic vision about her.
甚至在我们出去约会之前,我就给自己编织了浪漫的幻想
It should be just the reverse.
应该相反
You should get to know someone gradually, over time…
应该慢慢的去了解一个人…
before the possibility of falling in love even occurs to you.
在两个人可能相爱之前
Possibly not even then.
尽管在那时不太可能
So the experience has somewhat hardened you?
这件事让你变得坚强点了吗?
Yes. At least, it’s a very bad idea to fall for someone who doesn’t for you.
是的,至少,爱上一个不爱你的人是个坏主意
Yes, but you can’t know that you’ll feel exactly the same way all the time.
是的,但是在那时,你也许不知道你的真实想法
I mean, I suppose there will be risk in any romance.
我的意思是,恋爱是要冒险的
I suppose so.
我也这么认为
Well, this is my building.
嗯,我到了
Thanks very much for coming. Thank you.
非常感谢你送我 谢谢你
You’ll come again tomorrow? It’ll be as a group.
你明天还来吗?像一个团体那样
Yes.
是的
Thanks, Mom. I know how tight things have been.
谢谢你,妈妈,我知道我们手头紧
Things haven’t been that tight. I’ll pay you back next month.
还不是很紧 下个月我会还你的
Or in February.
或者在二月份
Has Dad called? He’s never called here. You know that.
爸爸打电♥话♥来了吗? 他从不往这里打电♥话♥,你是知道的
I thought maybe his office had. No.
我想可能在办公室会 不
Thanks a lot.
非常感谢
They’re normally this long in the back? Yes, sir.
后背这样正常吗? 是的,先生
Uhhuh. Like to try on the tuxedo?
啊哈 试一试燕尾服吗?
Okay.
好
Here you go.
来
I think I’d prefer one more like the one I rented.
我想我更喜欢我租的那件的样式
That is the one you rented. Oh.
这就是你租的那件 哦
I didn’t realize it looked like this. I guess it’ll be all right.
我没有认出来,这很好
Thank you.
谢谢
You haven’t seen this? Detachable collar.
你买♥♥之前没看吗?是活领的
Not many people wear them anymore. They look much better.
人们不再穿这样的衣服了,看起来好多了
So many things which were better in the past have been abandoned for supposed convenience.
过去的许多好东西都被抛弃了,只是为了表面上的方便
I had no idea anyone wore those anymore. It’s a small thing, but symbolically important.
我对于衣着没有什么看法 这是小事情,但是背后的意义重大