Well, you probably already knew about it, but I was surprised… about Audrey saving my letters.
你可能已经知道了,但是我很奇怪…关于奥德丽保存着我的信件
What letters? The ones I wrote Serena.
什么信? 我写给塞丽娜的信
Audrey saved them?
奥德丽保存着?
God, how queer.
天啊,真怪异
Well, it’s not so queer really.
不是特别怪异
Serena was about to throw them out…
塞丽娜正要把它们扔掉…
and Audrey apparently didn’t think people’s letters should be destroyed that way.
然后奥德丽显然不认为信件应该这样被毁掉
The really odd thing was though, while I was with Serena, who’s really nice and who’s so good-looking …
真正古怪的是当我问塞丽娜,谁真的漂亮…
Yeah, Serena’s basically a good person.
是的,塞丽娜是个好人
On the big night I’d looked forward to for a week…
那晚,我企盼…
I started feeling this incredible loneliness being with Serena…
我开始感到塞丽娜的孤独…
and nostalgia for all those conversations with Audrey before the big blowup.
在这事之前与奥德丽的谈话
That was before I knew anything about the letters.
我不知道这信的事
I think I preferred arguing with Audrey than to agreeing with Serena or someone else.
我想我更愿意和奥德丽讨论,而不是塞丽娜或别的什么人
I’d only had that calmly unemotional perspective on my relationship with Serena for a little while…
当我开始往这里赶的时候,我客观的思考了我和塞丽娜的关系…
when I started getting this warm glow at the prospect of seeing Audrey here again tonight.
急切的想在今晚再次见到奥德丽
Uh-oh.

It surprised me because I thought that if- if it didn’t work out with Serena this time…
我很惊讶,因为如果我现在不能忘记塞丽娜…
I’d put that sort of thing on hold for a long time.
我要用很长时间来平静
People shouldn’t get married till their late 20s, and that’s a long way off.
人们应该再二十多岁之后再结婚,那还很远
Well, your timing is really awful. What do you mean?
你选的时机可真不好 你是什么意思?
Damn. I’ll get it. I want to continue this.
天啊,我去开门,一会儿继续
Where’s Jane? She’s still in her room.
简在哪里? 她还在她的房♥间里
What would you like to drink? So you’re our host?
你们要喝什么? 你是主人?
I don’t know. What do people who don’t drink have?
我不知道,不喝酒的人能喝什么?
Ginger ale? Ice water? Ah, maybe a Coke with an aspirin.
姜汁饮料?冰水?啊,也许可乐加阿斯匹林
You don’t need to put on pink eye shadow for us.
你不用为我们抹粉色的眼影
It’s not for you. I’ve got a date.
不是为你,我有约会
A date? What’s that? It sounds like something from the 1 950s.
约会?那是什么?听起来像是五十年代的什么东西
Yeah. Who’s the fella?
那家伙是谁?
None of you know him, and I’d like to keep it that way.
你们不认识,并且我想保密
What did you mean when you said that about my timing being off?
你说我选的时机不对是什么意思?
Audrey’s gone to Cynthia’s in Connecticut for the weekend…
奥德丽去了辛西娅在康涅狄格的家渡周末…
and then on Wednesday she flies back to France.
然后在周三她飞回法国
And besides that, she thinks you’re a total jerk.
除此之外,她认为你是的混♥蛋♥
She hates you. She hates me?
她恨你 她恨我?
Well, she despises you. Actually, it’s a bit my fault.
她看不起你,实际上,那是我的小过错
I asked for that Truth question with a specific idea in mind…
我问了那个“说真话”的问题…
of showing her you hadn’t gotten over Serena yet.
来让她知道你还没有放弃塞丽娜
A Mr. Andrews is downstairs for you. Say I’ll be right down.
安德鲁斯先生在楼下等你 说我马上下去
We’ll go down with you. No, you won’t.
我们和你一起下去 不,不用
We can all go out together. No. This is a date.
我们可以一起去 不,这是约会
Well, it seems rude not to go down and check him out.
嗯,如果不下去看看他,就显得太不懂礼貌了
Please don’t. Feel free to stay here. There’s plenty of food and stuff.
请不要,在这里请便,有很多食物和饮料
But it’s all right if we stay here and wait for everyone else?
但是我们在这里等其他人合适吗?
Sure, but what “everyone else”?
当然,什么是“其他人”?
Well, the rest of the S.F.R.P.
S.F.R.P.的其他成员
You are the S.F.R.P. tonight.
今晚你们就是S.F.R.P.
Oh, could you be out by midnight? Feel free to stay until then though. Bye!
哦,午夜前你们能离开吗?在那之前请便,再见!
Bye. Bye.
再见 再见
Bye. Be out by midnight? What’s going on?
再见,午夜前离开?怎么了?
Jane brings this guy she hardly knows back for some kind of assignation?
简带那个她几乎不认识的家伙回来吗?
We don’t know that. Well …
我们不了解 好…
I’m really surprised atJane.
我对简感到惊讶
Some guy asks her out, and she abandons everything.
有男孩约她出去,她就抛弃了所有的东西
The rest of us can, well, just go to heck.
我们呢,见鬼去吧
The whole Rat Pack thing seems to have disintegrated.
鼠帮好像要瓦解了
The Rat Pack is down to the rats.
鼠帮变成了胡扯
This is really depressing. Let’s get out of here.
真压抑,我们出去吧
I guess it’s understandable that she would prefer to go out on a date…
我猜那很好理解,她更喜欢出去约会…
which offers some romantic promise, even if very slight, than stay with us.
会很甜蜜,即使不多,也比和我们呆在一起强
Still, it’s a bit disappointing. I thought we were better friends than that.
但是还是令人失望,我想我们的关系比那好的多
I wonder whether we’re really friends for them at all.
我怀疑他们是否把我们看成朋友
We’re just way stations between dates.
我们只是约会之间的小站
I mean, for them, men are either dates, potential dates or date substitutes.
我是说,对他们来说,男人是潜在的约会对象或者约会的替代品
I find that dehumanizing.
太禽兽了
That might be the case with Cynthia or Sally…
可能辛西娅或者萨利是这样…
but Audrey, for instance, is completely different.
但是奥德丽,例如,完全不同
She’s someone who would keep up her friendships no matter what.
无论发生什么事她都会保持友谊
And Audrey has a rare largeness of mind. She’s not obsessed with her love life.
并且奥德丽很有头脑,她不会被爱情所困扰
She’s good-looking, smart…
她漂亮,聪明…
charming, principled.
迷人,有原则
It’s an unusual combination.
有那么多美德
What do you mean?
你是什么意思?
You’ve given her nothing but grief all the past week. I think I’ll be going now.
你伤了她的心,但是那都过去了 我要走了
I have nothing to say, and I’m completely boring without a drink.
我没有什么要说的,我对饮料厌倦了
It’s only midnight. You can’t go.
刚到午夜,你不能走
I’m sorry, but without cocktails, staying up all night loses its charm.
对不起,但是没有鸡尾酒,熬夜就失去魅力了
Besides, I haven’t had anything amusing to say since I stopped drinking.
另外,我不喝酒就说不出什么有趣的东西
Did you have anything amusing to say before you stopped?
在那之前你说过什么有趣的吗?
I know, but it seemed amusing. Now it doesn’t.
我知道,但那看起来有趣,现在不了
Well, you were asleep. Was that it?
你都打瞌睡了 是吗?
Good night, Charlie. Ciao, Tommy. Ciao, Fred.
晚安,查理,回见,汤姆 回见,弗瑞德
When I was in college, we’d go to dances during Christmas vacations.
我还在学校时,我们在圣诞长假时出去跳舞
Do they still go on? Yes.
他们还去吗? 是的
Pretty much reduced though. Yeah.
还没变 是的
Ah, well, I wouldn’t put much stock in them.
啊,好,都过去了
You go to a party, you meet a group of people, you like them, you think…
参加聚会,遇到一群人,你喜欢他们,你认为…
“These people are going to be my friends for the rest of my life.”
“这些人会是我以后一生的朋友”
Then you never see them again. I wonder where they go.
然后你就再也没遇到过他们,我想知道他们去哪里了
Do you think it’s true, though, that, generally speaking…
你是否这样认为,一般而言…
people from this sort of background are doomed to failure?
这种背景的人注定要失败?
Doomed? That would, uh, be far easier.
注定?那更简单
No, we simply fail without being doomed.
不,我们因为没有被注定所以没有失败
But you feel that you have failed. Yeah.
但是你认为你失败了 是的
You can still afford to come to places like this though.
你仍然能负担的起来这种地方
I’m not destitute. I’ve got a goodjob that pays decently.
我并不穷困,我的工作薪水很高
It’s just that it’s all so mediocre, so unimpressive.
失败是说平淡
The acid test is whether you take any pleasure in responding to the question…
你是否能够高兴的响亮的回答出…
“What do you do?”
“你做哪一行?”
I can’t bear it.
我不能忍♥受这个
You start out expecting something much more, and some of your contemporaries achieve it.
你渴望的某种东西,有许多你同辈人已经得到
You start reading about them in the papers or seeing them on TV.
你在报纸上读到他们,在电视上看到他们
That’s the danger of midtown Manhattan …
这就是在曼哈顿生活的危险…
running across far more successful contemporaries.
和许多成功的同辈拼争
I try to avoid them whenever I can.
我试着不去想他们
But when I can’t, they’re always very friendly…
但是一不留神,他们就会友好的…
but inevitably they ask, what am I doing, or think it.
但是不可避免的说,我是干什么的,或者思考这个
I… I find it hard to believe that many people from our background are successful.
我发现很难相信许多我们这种背景的人成功了
Aren’t you confusing them with people that you might have known from college…
你大学里有你认识的…
who came from normal backgrounds?
一般背景的同学吗?
It’s not surprising that… that an energetic, self-confident achiever…
一个积极的,自信的…
free of UHB illusions…
自♥由♥的UHB幻想…
should be successful.
会成功
UHB? What’s UHB? UHB.
UHB?UHB是什么? UHB
U.H.B. It’s an acronym for Urban Haute Bourgeoisie.
U.H.B.是“城内高级中产阶级”的字头
It’s a more sociologically precise alternative…
那是一个精确的社会学的…
to “preppy” and other terms.
描述“泊瑞皮”的团体
Well, you’re partly right.
你部分正确
Some of the people whom I mentioned were not from… UHB?
我提到的那些人有的并没有…UHB?
That’s right. UHB backgrounds, but some of them were.
对 UHB背景,但是有人有
You’re going to have to accept that people from our background…
你会接收有我们这种背景的人…
are not doomed to failure.
不会注定失败
I… I wonder if they were typical UHBs.
我…怀疑他们只是表面的UHBs
There was -There was probably some factor which set them apart.
可能有些因素使他们离开了
And, also, their- their career is not over.
并且,他们的职业生涯还没结束
I mean, the failure could still be to come.
我是说,他们还是有可能失败
He seems less pessimistic than you. I know. It doesn’t ring true.
看起来,他没有你那么悲观 我知道,那不一定正确
Look, there’s a light on.
看,那里亮灯呢
We can’t go up to her place unannounced after midnight.
午夜后我们不能未经允许去她那里

你的评论可以尖锐,也可以湿疣!