你的行为比你的话语重要
What is the difference? Words are deeds.
差别在哪里?言语就是行为
Are you trying to say that these few minutes talking in the dean’s rooms
你是说在院长室的几分钟谈话
have done nothing for you?
对你没有任何作用吗?
Will you, for instance, ever forget that you’ve met me?
比方说,你会忘记你曾见过我吗
You’re confusing what is important with what is impressive.
你把重要性跟印象混为一谈了
Chapman and Hall will always remember
查普曼跟霍尔永远会记得
they’ve met you, of that I have no doubt.
他们见过你,这一点我没有疑问
Exactly, because of my conversation.
没错,原因是我的谈话
Oh, they’ll forget that they were engaged in the act of eating a cutlet.
他们会忘记他们在吃炸肉饼
At least the cutlet does some good to them. You do not.
起码炸肉饼对他们有好处,你没有
I mean, Dean, that a cutlet merely influences
我是说,院长,炸肉饼只影响了
their subconscious life.
他们潜意识的人生
I, by my words, shape the consciousness.
我的话语却塑造了他们的意识
I am therefore not only more impressive than the cutlet,
因此我不只比炸肉饼令人有印象
but infinitely more important.
而且还重要得多
Your dean here dwells
你们的院长陷入了
in superstitious clouds of Christian self-righteousness.
基♥督♥教自以为是的迷信中
Your dean pretends that
你们的院长假装
only insensate faith is of any significance.
只有缺乏理性的信仰有意义
And daily he droops, soporific, into his soup.
他每天喝汤喝到睡着
Oh, Risley, shut up. Come on.
瑞斯里,闭嘴,走吧
I think if a man has ideas like that,
我认为如果有人有这种想法
he should have the courtesy to keep them to himself.
他应该拿出礼貌,不要说出来
No, no, no, on the contrary, one must talk, talk, talk.
不…恰恰相反,人必须不停地说
It’s only by talking that we shall caper upon the summit.
借由说话我们才能在山顶嬉戏
Otherwise the mountains will overshadow us.
否则我们会被山脉遮蔽
I’m sure, Hall, you will agree.
霍尔,我相信你会同意
Wait.
等等
I’m eager to hear more of your interesting ideas
我很想多听听你有趣的见解…
about words and deeds.
关于语言跟行为
My rooms are in Trinity.
我住在三位一体舍
And I have a dining club whose members would,
我有个晚餐聚会,如果我没搞错
if I’m not mistaken, interest you.
你会觉得成员很有趣
No need to bring your chum.
你的朋友就不必带来了
Oh, well…
太过分了…
You’re not going, are you?
你没要去吧?
Salutations, Risley.
瑞斯里,你好
You’ve bargained for more than you’ve gained.
情况出乎你的预期
Risley…
瑞斯里…
You’ve, uh, you’ve bargained for more than you’ve gained.
情况出乎你的预期
Salutations. – Look.
你好﹣你们看
Come in.
请进
Hello?
你好?
You’re Durham, aren’t you? – Yes.
你是杜兰吧?﹣对
I was looking for Risley,
我在找瑞斯里
don’t know where he is.
你知道他在哪里吗?
He’s debating at the Union.
他在活动中心参加辩论
I was just stealing his pathetic symphony.
我只是在偷他可悲的交响曲
I’m reading a paper on Tchaikovsky,
我在看一篇柴可夫斯基的论文
but I cannot find the third movement.
可是我找不到他的第三乐章
If it’s here at all,which I don’t think it is.
我想第三乐章不在这里
Featherstonhaugh’s got a Pianola.
费勒东买♥♥了一架自动钢琴
I know. His rooms are directly above mine.
我晓得,他的房♥间在我的正上方
Oh, well, I’ll come back with you then. You’re living in college now?
那我跟你回去吧,你现在住校吗?
Beginning my second year. – I’m third.
我念二年级了﹣我是三年级
I have seen you, though. Hall, isn’t it?
不过我见过你,你是霍尔吧?
If Risley’s not coming, perhaps I’d better get back.
如果瑞斯里不来了,或许我该回去
I didn’t know you knew Risley.
我不晓得你认识瑞斯里
He’s a dangerous man.
他是危险分子
A little of him certainly goes a very long way.
他有一小部分一直很危险
You like this music? I’m afraid I do, yes.
你喜欢音乐吗?﹣我喜欢
Sweet water from a foul well, as they say.
人家说音乐是恶泉的蜜水
A good waltz is more my style.
我比较喜欢华尔滋
Hmm, mine too, really.
我也是
Thank you, good night. – Good night, sir.
谢谢,晚安﹣晚安
Hall.
霍尔
Oh, got your third movement.
你找到第三乐章了
I thought I’d come along with you instead.
我跟你一起去吧
Here, give me some of those to carry. – It’s all right, I think I’ve got them safe now.
分一些给我拿﹣没关系,我可以
Good night. Good night, sir.
晚安﹣晚安
Give.
给我吧
Mortarboard.
学士帽
This bit’s supposed to be mad.
这里要狂放一点
Hall.
霍尔
You, you should be at this end.
你应该在这边
You should get as far away from the machine as you can.
你应该尽可能远离钢琴
Play it again.
再弹一次
If Featherstonhaugh doesn’t mind, that is.
如果费勒东不介意
No, you can’t play it again. It’s a, it’s a movement.
不能再弹一次,这是一个乐章
You have to get right to the end.
你得弹到最后
Featherstonhaugh, I think I’m gonna eat one of your apples.
费勒东,我要吃你的苹果
Is this Sophocles? Mm.
你在读索福克里斯吗?﹣对
Try reading it for the characters, rather than the author.
试着读他的角色,而不是读作者
It’s much more interesting.
这样有趣多了
Much too fast, Hall.
霍尔,你弹得太急了
Slower, slower.
慢一点…
There, otherwise you’ll tear it.
对了,否则你会打乱
This bit isn’t as jolly, really, is it?
这个部分没那么轻快吧?
No, it’s not.
没有
Appalling vac. – I nearly wrote to you about it.
(1910年冬季学期)很糟的假期﹣我差点写信告诉你
My mother started flinging the cat about
我母亲大惊小怪
because I wouldn’t go toCommunion on Christmas Day.
因为我不肯在耶诞节去领圣餐
I mean, I’m unorthodox. I’m not a Christian.
我信奉东正教,我不是基♥督♥徒
It was imperative that I made a stand.
我必须拿出立场
It’s a difficult question.
这是困难的问题
Hall, come down to the buttery.
霍尔,到酒窖来
Oh, hello, Durham.
你好,杜兰
Halliday’s been given a case of hock for Christmas.
哈乐迪在耶诞节收到一箱酒
Reward for good behavior over the vac.
这是假期时表现良好的奖赏
He’s asked for us.
他要找我们
I’m sorry, Chapman, not now.
抱歉,查普曼,现在不行
We’re fixing something. – Oh, I see.
我们在处理事情﹣我了解了
Sorry, well, perhaps we’ll see you later, then.
抱歉,或许我们晚点见了
Have you known Chapman long?
你认识查普曼很久了吗?
Five years, here and at school.
这里跟学校加起来五年
Give me a cigarette, would you?
给我一根烟好吗?
I mean, you’ve got a mother and sisters.
你有妈妈跟姐妹
All the way through that row,I was thinking what you would have done.
在喧闹中,我在想你做过什么
My mother never makes a row about anything.
我妈从来没有吵过什么
That’s ’cause you’ve never done anything she wouldn’t approve, I expect.
那是因为你没做过她反对的事
You never will.
你永远不会
I’m disgusted with mine.
我的母亲令我作呕
I despise her character.
我鄙视她的个性
There, I’ve told you something no one else in the world knows.
好了,我跟你说了没人知道的事了
Won’t tell.
我不会说出去的
Tell me about your home life.
聊聊你家里的事
Nothing to say. We just go on.
没什么好说的,我们很顺利
Lucky devils. Rotten vac, eh?
你们真幸运﹣假期很烂吧?
Yes, it was, rotten. Misery and hell.
没错,烂透了,像悲惨的地狱
Ow, that really hurt, ow!
好痛
Misery and hell, eh?
悲惨的地狱吗?
Hall, what are you? No, no, Hall, no.
不要!霍尔
Please, I’ve got to go. Don’t be such a fool.
拜托,我得走了,别闹了
I’ve got to go,I said I’ve got a lecture.
我得走了,我说过我有课
Why don’t you go late again?
你再迟到如何?
Because I can’t.
不行
You think I don’t think.
你以为我不思考
But I can tell you I do.
但我要跟你说我会
“Every human soul has”
“每个人的灵魂”
“at some stage”