It was advertised. – All aboard now.
有广♥告♥﹣请上船
May I speak frankly to you? I’m far from easy about Scudder.
我能跟你坦白吗?史卡德让我不安
The fact is,
事实上
he has been guilty of sensuality…
他耽溺肉♥欲♥…
with women.
找女人
It’s not just the deed of fornication.
这不只是淫乱的问题
When the nations went a-whoring,
各国淫乱的时候
they invariably ended up by denying God.
大家最后都否定上帝
Until all sexual irregularities, and not some of them, are penal,
在所有不检点的行为都受罚前
the church will never again reconquer England.
教会永远无法再征服英国
I have reason to believe,
我有理由相信
Scudder spent Tuesday night in London,
史卡德礼拜二晚上在伦敦过夜
fornicating.
跟人私通
I’m telling you all this because of your charitable interest in him.
我告诉你是因为你对他的善意
But surely he wouldn’t have missed his train.
他不可能错过火车的
Well, they wouldn’t leave without him. – He’s late.
他们不会丢下他﹣他迟到了
He’s bloody well missed his bleeding train!
他错过火车了
Gentlemen!
各位!
Gentlemen. Gentlemen, I do assure you,
各位,我向大家保证
Mr. Scudder was booked for a passage.
史卡德先生订了船票
But his kit’s aboard. His kit’s aboard.
可是他的东西上船了
Clive.
克莱夫
Don’t tell Anne I’m here. I’ve only a few minutes.
别告诉安我来了,我只有几分钟时间
I mean, look here, man, that’s fantastic.
听着,这太棒了
She’ll be furious if you don’t stay the night.
你不留下来过夜她会生气
Maurice, I hope nothing’s wrong.
莫里斯,我希望一切没事
Pretty well everything.
一切都很好
You’d think so.
你会这么认为
Very well, I’m at your service.
很好,我愿为你效劳
My advice, though, is to sleep here tonight
但我建议你今晚在这里过夜
and ask Anne in the morning.
明天早上再问安
Where a woman is in question, it’s always better to ask another woman,
有女人的问题时,最好问另一个女人
and particularly if she has Anne’s almost uncanny insight.
问安这种洞察力惊人的女人更没错
I’m not here to see Anne.
我不是来见安的
Or you, Clive. It’s miles worse for you.
我也不是来找你,这对你来说更糟
I’m in love with Alec Scudder.
我爱上亚历史卡德了
What a grotesque announcement.
简直太可笑了
Most grotesque.
是很可笑
But I felt I ought to tell you. – Maurice…
但我认为我该告诉你﹣莫里斯…
Maurice, we did everything we could when you and I thrashed out the subject.
莫里斯,我们想尽办法解决这件事
When you brought yourself to kiss my hand. – Don’t allude to that.
你自己亲了我的手﹣别提这件事
Come in here.
进来
I’m more sorry for you than I can possibly say.
我对你的歉疚无法言喻
And I do, do beg you to resist the return of this obsession.
求你极力抗拒、别再鬼迷心窍
I don’t need advice.
我不需要建议
I’m flesh and blood, Clive,
克莱夫,我是血肉之躯
if you’ll condescend to such low things.
如果你要弄得这么低俗的话
I’ve shared with Alec.
我跟亚历分享了
Shared, shared what?
分享什么?
Everything.
一切
Alec slept with me in the Russet Room, when you and Anne were away.
你跟安不在时,亚历跟我上了床
Oh, good God.
老天
Also in town.
在伦敦也是
The sole excuse for any relationship between
两个男人之间有任何关系
two men is that it remain purely platonic.
唯一的借口是纯粹的柏拉图式爱情
Surely we agreed that.
我们同意的
I don’t know.
我不知道
I’ve come to tell you what I did.
我来是要告诉你我做了什么
Well, Alec, Scudder, is in point of fact no longer in my service.
亚历史卡德已经不替我做事了
In fact, he’s no longer in England.
事实上,他不在英国了
He sailed for Buenos Aires this very day.
他今天坐船去布宜诺斯艾利斯了
He didn’t.
他没上船
He sacrificed his career for my sake,
他为了我牺牲事业
without a guarantee.
而且没有保障
I don’t know whether that’s platonic of him or not,
不知道他这样是不是柏拉图式爱情
but it’s what he did.
但他就是这么做了
Scudder missed his boat?
史卡德没上船?
Maurice, you’re going mad.
莫里斯,你疯了
May I ask if you intend to pursue… – No, no, you may not ask.
我能问你打算…﹣不,你不能问
I’ll tell you everything up to this minute.
我会告诉你到目前为止的事
Not a word beyond.
之后的都不行
Alec?
亚历?
Alec.
亚历
So you got the wire, then?
你收到电报了?
What wire?
什么电报?
The wire I sent to your house,
我寄到你家的电报
telling you…
告诉你…
Oh, sorry.
抱歉
I’m a bit tired, what with one thing and another.
我有点累,事情接二连三
No, telling you to come here…
我叫你来这里…
to the boathouse at Pendersleigh without fail.
一定要来潘德史莱的船屋
Now we shan’t never be parted.
现在我们再也不分离了
It’s finished.
事情结束了
Will that be all, sir?
少爷,没别的事了吗?
Yes, thank you, Simcox.
是的,辛考克,谢谢
Good night, sir. – Good night.
少爷,晚安﹣晚安
Come on!
来吧!
Who were you talking to?
你刚刚在跟谁说话?
No one, no one.
没有
I was just trying out a speech.
我只是在练习讲稿