Not just a collection of relics. It’s a place which could stimulate the minds of the…
不只有一堆遗物,这个地方能激励…
Less fortunate? – Well, quite so.
比较不幸的人?﹣没错
To ask questions which one, which one no doubt inadequately tries to…
问不恰当的问题…
Ben, we’re waiting.
班,我们在等你
Oh uh, yes, quite so…
好的,我…
I, uh, I, I, excuse me.
失陪了
Extraordinary thing.
真是奇怪
I shan’t trouble you any further.
我不会再打扰你了
Where are you going with your serious charge?
你要去哪里提出严重的指控?
I don’t know what came over me. – You blackmailed me.
我不知道我刚刚怎么了﹣你威胁我
No, sir, no. – You didn’t?
没有﹣你没有?
Maurice, listen. – Maurice am I?
莫里斯,听着…﹣叫我莫里斯?
Well, you called me Alec. I’m as good as you.
你之前叫我亚历,我跟你一样好
I don’t find you are.
我不觉得你是
By God, if you’d split on me to Ducie, I’d have broken you.
如果你跟杜谢告密,我会毁了你
Might have cost me hundreds, but I’ve got them.
这可能要花我几百英镑,但我有钱
But the police always back my sort against yours.
警方一定会支持我这种人
As good as I?
跟我一样好?
Come outside.
到外面来
It rained even harder than this at the boathouse.
船屋下的雨比这还要大
It was even colder.
那里更冷
Why did you not come?
你为什么没来?
I was frightened.
我很害怕
And you let yourself get afraid of me.
你让你自己害怕我
That’s why we’re trying to down each other.
所以我们才想打倒对方
I wouldn’t take a penny from you. I don’t want to hurt your little finger.
我不会拿你一毛钱,我不想伤害你
Come on. Let’s give over talking, here.
来吧,我们别说了,来
Stop with me. Sleep the night with me.
陪我,跟我过夜
I, I can’t.
我不行
I’ve got an engagement. A formal business dinner.
我有约,正式的生意饭局
It’s my job.
这是我的工作
Meet me another evening instead.
改天晚上再碰面吧
I can’t come to London again.
我不能再来伦敦了
My father or Mr. Boreniuswill be passing remarks.
我爸或波伦尼斯先生会批评我
What does it matter if they do?
就算是又重要吗?
What does your engagement matter?
你的约重要吗?
First time I seed you, I thought,
我第一次看到你时,我心想…
“I wish I had that one.”
“我真希望拥有他”
And it is so.
你得到了
The only good thing to happen to me at Pendersleigh.
这是我在潘德史莱唯一有过的好事
“Scudder, do this. “Scudder, do that.”
史卡德,做这个,史卡德,做那个
The old lady, she says,
那个老太婆说…
“Oh, would you most kindly of your goodness post this for me.”
“麻烦你帮我寄信…”
“What’s your name?
“你叫什么名字?”
“What’s your name?”
“你叫什么名字?”
Every day for bloody 18 months I went to that front porch for orders.
一年半来,我每天去门廊等候差遣
and the old bitch doesn’t even know my name.
那老太婆连我的名字都不晓得
I said to her, “What’s your name?
我要跟她说,”你叫什么名字?”
“Fuck your name!”
“去你的名字!”
Nearly did, too.
我差点就说出来了
Wish I had.
真希望我有
And you, too grand to come to the boathouse.
而你太高贵了,不肯到船屋来
“Haw, my man. Five shillings not good enough for you, eh?”
“五先令对你来说不够多吗?”
You’ve no idea how you nearly missed gettin’ me.
你不晓得你差点就得不到我了
Boathouse was the place I always fancied.
我一直很喜欢船屋
I still got the key now, matter of fact.
事实上,钥匙还在我手上
We’ll meet in your boathouse yet.
我们再到你的船屋碰面
No, we won’t.
不行
You’ll remember that at any rate.
不管怎样,你会记得
Tomorrow’s Thursday. Friday’s packing.
明天是礼拜四,礼拜五我要打包
Saturday, Southampton, so
礼拜六要去南安普敦
it’s good-bye, old England.
所以英国,再见了
You mean that you and I shan’t meet again after now?
你是说你我之后不会再碰面?
That’s right. You got it quite correct.
没错,你说对了
Stay with me.
留下来陪我
Stay, miss my boat?
留下来?错过我的船?
You daft?
你傻了吗?
Of all the bloody rubbish.
满嘴胡说八道
Order me about again, you would.
你又在使唤我了
It’s a chance in a thousand we met. You know it.
你知道我们能认识是千载难逢
Why don’t you stay?
你为什么不留下来?
Stay, with you?
留下来跟你在一起?
How, and where?
怎么做?在哪里?
With your ma?
跟你妈住吗?
Oh, yeah. What would she say if she saw me?
对,她看到我会说什么
All rough and ugly the way I am.
我是粗人
My people wouldn’t take to you one bit.
我家人一点也不会喜欢你
And I don’t blame them either.
我也不怪他们
And how would you run your job, I’d like to know?
我想知道你要怎么工作?
I shall chuck it.
我不做了
Your job in the city,
你在城市的工作
what gives you money and position?
给了你金钱跟地位吗?
You talk like a man who’s never had to earn his living.
你的口气就像从来不用讨生活
You can do anything, once you know what it is.
你清楚情况后,什么都可以做
We can live without money, without people.
我们远离金钱跟人能生活
We can live without position.
我们远离地位也能生活
We’re not fools.
我们不是笨蛋
We’re both strong.
我们都很有能力
There’ll be someplace we could go.
一定有我们能去的地方
Wouldn’t work, Maurice.
莫里斯,这样行不通的
Be the ruin of us both.
这会把…我们两个都毁了
Can’t you see?
你不明白吗?
Well, I’m off.
我要走了
Pity we ever met, really, if you think about it.
仔细想想,我们认识真是可悲
You paid for this room in advance, didn’t you?
你付过房♥钱了吧?
I mean, they won’t stop me downstairs or anything?
他们在楼下不会拦我吧?
You’ll be all right.
你不会有事的
Edgar, I shan’t be long. Just wait for me.
艾嘉,我马上回来,等我
Yes, sir.
好的,先生
Good afternoon. – Oh, yes, um, I’ve come to see a passenger off.
午安﹣我来送一名乘客
Alec Scudder. – Ah, the Scudders.
亚历史卡德﹣史卡德家啊
Yes, I believe they’re up there, sir.
我想他们在上面
Right, thank you. – Thank you very much, sir.
好,谢谢﹣多谢你了
Plenty of time yet.
时间还早
Oh, he won’t be late.
他不会迟到的
If Alec says a thing, he means it.
亚历是说到做到的人
He can be late if he likes.
他想的话可能会迟到
I can manage without him,
我没他也过得去
but he needn’t expect me to help him anymore.
但他别想要我再帮他了
Mr. Scudder?
史卡德先生吗?
You must be Alec Scudder’s brother.
你一定是亚历史卡德的哥哥
I’ve come to see him off.
我是来送行的
Alec ain’t aboard yet, but his kit is.
亚历还没来,但他的东西到了
Interested to see his kit?
想看一下吗?
No, no, no, don’t worry.
不用,别担心
I’ll just wait with you, if I may.
可以的话,我跟你们一起等
My name’s Maurice Hall.
我叫莫里斯霍尔
Good afternoon, Mr. Hall.
霍尔先生,午安
Now, this is kind of you, Mr. Hall.
霍尔先生,你真好心
I could hardly believe my eyes
我看到你跟他的朋友在这里
when I saw you among his friends here.
几乎不敢相信自己的眼睛
Family, my parents.
是家人,这是我的父母
And I’m his brother,Frederick Scudder,
我是他哥佛德瑞史卡德
purveyor of viand, at your service.
我是食品商,在此为您服务
Ah, I am Mr. Borenius. Alec is one of my parishioners.
我是波伦尼斯,亚历是我教区的人
I’ve come to give him a letter of introduction
我给他送介绍信来
to an Anglican priest in Buenos Aires,
让他交给布宜诺斯艾利斯的牧师
in the hopes that he will be confirmed after landing.
希望他到达后能施坚信礼
Very kind of you, sir, I’m sure.
先生,你真好心
How did you know so precisely when the boat sailed?
﹣你怎么会知道开船的时间?﹣所有乘客请上船