达米安人很好 他还亲手给我缝制了婚纱
Damian is so perfect. he even made my wedding dress.
蜜月旅行他带我去了米克诺斯岛
And for our honeymoon he took me to
他最中意的希腊小岛
– his favourite island in Greece.
我骑了驴子 还给莱恩挑到了一件礼物
I got to ride a donkey and found the perfect gift for Len.
可怜的莱恩 还在和陌生环境恐怖症作斗争
Poor Len, he’s still struggling with his agoraphobia.
我和达米安真是很像
Damian and I are so similar.
他竟然也有一个笔友 住在新西兰牧场的
He even has his own penfriend, who lives on a sheep farm in New Zealand.
玛丽…玛-玛-玛-玛丽
Mary…m-m-m-Mary.
玛丽…玛-玛-玛-玛丽
Mary…m-m-m-Mary.
玛丽自信心大增
Mary was bursting with self-esteem
甚至有些自满
And her confidence was almost unbearable.
在大学
At university,
她备受瞩目 并开始了治疗精神疾病的研究
She shone and took it upon herself to cure the world of mental illness.
她的毕业论文就是关于亚斯伯格症
She did her thesis on asperger’s syndrome
还以马♥克♥思♥做为研究案例
and used Max as her case study.
她的教授对她的论文深表赞许
Her professors were thoroughly impressed
她的文章也大受追捧
and her writing praised far and wide.
很快 她成为出版商的宠儿
Soon, publishers queued to print her unique insight
在她25岁生日时
And by her 25th birthday,
她的书行销海外
Thousands of copies were ready to be shipped.
亲爱的马♥克♥思♥ 我很自豪的送给你我的第一本书
Dear Max, i am very proud to give you the very first copy of my book
关于你的缺陷 以及日后治愈的希望
About your disability and the hopes that we have to one day cure it.
更让我激动的是
Even more exciting is that I am finally coming
我终于有一个星期的时间去见你了
To meet and celebrate with you in one week’s time.
我还打算把这本书一半的版税给你
I’m also going to give you half the royalties.
爱你的朋友 玛丽
Your loving friend, Mary.
附注 尝尝我的瑞士巧克力杏仁
Ps. please find enclosed some chocolate-coated swiss almonds.
马♥克♥思♥并不是很高兴 根本就不高兴
Max didn’t take the news very well – not very well at all.
亲爱的玛丽·戴茜·町可
Dear Mary Daisy Dinkle,
此刻我难以表达我的感受
I cannot express myself very clearly at this moment
因此我列出了一些感觉比较强烈的词
and so I will list my emotions in the order they feel most intense
伤害 困惑 背叛
hurt, confuzzledness, betrayal,
不舒服 郁闷 气喘吁吁
Discomfort, distress and wheeziness.
最后一个词不是形容感受的
This last one is not really an emotion
但我觉得你能明白我的意思
But I thought you should know about it anyway.
玛丽打点了她的行李 向达米安告别
With her suitcase packed for new york, Mary said goodbye to Damian.
除了捡到”诺布利特”玩偶 她还从没这么兴奋过
She hadn’t been this excited since she’d found a noblet in the gutter.
但她的兴奋就像烈日下的巧克力一样
But her excitement suddenly dribbled away
迅速融化殆尽
Like a chocolate in the sun.
[韦弗利山]
[纸浆厂]
[本地学术]
[小说与事业]
[安妮酒庄]
[琼婶婶桶装雪利酒]
玛丽很快陷入沮丧 难以自拔
Mary slowly sank into a puddle of depression,
憎恨自我 以酒为伴
Self-loathing and cooking sherry.
她生活中唯一的阳光就是爱人达米安
The only colour left in her life was her beloved Damian,
他虽近在咫尺 可两颗心却相隔天涯
Only an arm’s length away but as distant as the moon.
她对生活失去信心而生活也抛弃了她
She lost interest in the world and it lost interest in her
她常受幻像困扰
as a horrible apparition began to haunt.
夜晚 她开始做小绒球
She started to spend her nights
或者吃速食面 以此来打发时光
Making pompoms and eating two-minute noodles.
[浓缩牛奶]
[我很抱歉]
每天 带着深深的愧疚
Each day, with strength and shame,
玛丽拖着沉重的脚步走向邮箱
Mary trudged to the letterbox in hope,
可邮箱却总是空空如野
Only to swivel, shrivel and slink back inside.
[文胸集锦]
[春季特辑]
我最亲爱的玛丽 你读到这封信时
My dearest Mary, by the time you read this,
我已经在飞往新西兰的飞机上了
I will be on a plane to New Zealand
开始新的生活
To begin a new life.
你可能都没有注意到我收拾行李
You probably haven ‘t even noticed I’d packed my bags.
我已经爱上了我的笔友德斯蒙德
I have fallen in love with my penfriend, Desmond,
我打算去他的牧场和他一起生活
And I’m going to live on his sheep farm.
看着我曾经深爱的人变得消沉让我心碎
It’s been hard to watch you become a remnant of the person I once loved.
你对精神疾病的研究让人敬佩
Your research into m-m-mental illness has been admirable
但你并未将治愈此病的理想坚持下去
But your i-idealistic pursuit to remedy it has been misguided.
玛丽
Mary,
你要明白 你并不是神奇的去皱霜
You have to realise y-you are not a magic beauty cream
能去除这世界的所有皱纹
you can smooth on the world to rid it of its wrinkles.
我爱你玛丽 但我更爱德斯蒙德
I love you, Mary, but I love Desmond more.
希望终有一日 你的心灵伤口能够愈合
I hope one day your heart will heal
而我们还能成为朋友
and we can be friends.
你慈悲的达米安
Yours compassionately, Damian.
[不准乱扔垃圾]
亲爱的瑞迪克兰尼市长
Dear Mayor Ridiculani,
仅在周一我就数到有27个人非法乱扔烟头
On Monday I counted 27 people illegally dropping cigarette butts.
我强烈建议罚金能增加到
I would like to recommend the fine be increased to
至少100万元million”没有”m
A minimum of $1 million
并作为强制措施执行
as a stronger deterrent and would be happy…
M”是”Mary”的首字母 很久没有用过了 马♥克♥思♥想起玛丽]
[我很抱歉]
[F 指代骂人的话]
[油墨量:空]
[打字机用品店]
[成立于1♥8♥9♥6年]
谢谢
Thank you.
[财务咨♥询♥]
[对不起]
对不起
Sorry.
[我很抱歉]
亲爱的玛丽
Dear Mary,
请收下我收集的所有”诺布利特”玩偶
Please find enclosed my entire noblet collection
作为我原谅你的见证
as a sign that I forgive you.
当我收到你的书 我的感受…
When I received your book, the emotions inside…
[表情谱]
[生气 开心]
[行行好吧 无肾人]
祝你身体健康
回家的路上 马♥克♥思♥坐下来数星星
On the way home, Max sat to count the stars.
他感觉圆♥满♥了 世界恢复平衡了
He felt complete – the world was back in balance.
[安♥眠♥药♥]
[给维拉·町可夫人]
[需要时服两片]
当我还是个小女孩
# when I was just a little girl#
我问我的母亲 自己会是什么样
#I asked my mother, what will I be?#
我会很美吗 我会富有吗
# will I be pretty, will I be rich?#
她这样对我说
# here’s what she said to me…#
#世事难料 不论会怎样#
#que sera sera whatever will be will be #
#未来不可预见 世事难料#
# the future’s not ours to see # que sera sera#
#世事难料 不论会怎样#
# que sera sera# Whatever will be will be #
未来不可预见
#the future’s not ours to see #
世事难料 不论会怎样 世事难料
#Que sera sera # what will be will be # que sera sera # ah!#
莱恩救了玛丽一命
Len had saved the day
45年了 他终于克服了陌生环境恐怖症
and after 45 years he finally conquered his agoraphobia.
白♥痴♥
Moron!
亲爱的玛丽
Dear Mary,
请收下我收集的所有”诺布利特”玩偶
Please find enclosed my entire noblet collection
作为我原谅你的见证
as a sign that I forgive you.
当我收到你的书
When I received your book,
我的感受就像是转筒式干燥机
The emotions inside my brain felt like they were in a tumble dryer,
纠缠在了一起
Smashing into each other.
那种疼痛就像是我的嘴被钉到了一起
The hurt felt like when I accidentally stapled my lips together.
我之所以原谅你 是因为人无完人
The reason I forgive you is because you are not perfect.
你不完美 我也一样
You are imperfect, and so am l.
人无完人 包括门外那个乱扔垃圾的人
All humans are imperfect, even the man outside my apartment who litters.
我年轻时 我对自己很失望
When I was young, I wanted to be anybody but myself.
伯纳德·豪夫医生说如果我在一座荒岛上
Dr Bernard Hazelhof said if I was on a desert island
我就会习惯无人陪伴
then I would have to get used to my own company –
只有我和椰子树的生活
Just me and the coconuts.
他说那时我就会接受自己 完全接受
He said I would have to accept myself, my warts and all,
那时我们不会在意自己的缺陷
And that we don’t get to choose our warts.
那也是我们的一部分 我们得学会接受
They are a part of us and we have to live with them.
但是 我们可以选择朋友
We can, however, choose our friends
我很高兴能和你做朋友
And I am glad I have chosen you.
伯纳德·豪夫医生还说过
Dr Bernard Hazelhof also said that
人的生活就像是一条很长的人行道
Everyone’s lives are like a very long sidewalk.
有的铺的很好
Some are well paved.
有的 比如我的
Others, like mine,
就有裂缝 香蕉皮 还有烟屁
Have cracks, banana skins and cigarette butts.
你的人行道和我的很像
Your sidewalk is like mine
但没有那么多裂缝