我清理人们乱丢的垃圾
I got to clean up after litterbugs
不和任何人说话
And didn’t have to talk to anybody.
有时我假装是星际机器人
Sometimes I used to pretend I was an intergalactical robot.
您拨♥打♥的是报♥警♥电♥话♥ 系统正忙请稍后
This is 911. Your call has been placed in a queue.
一次警♥察♥把我抓起来问话 但又放了我
One time the police took me in for questioning but let me go
因为他们认为
When they decided
除了对自己 我对任何人都够不成威胁
I wasn’t a threat to anybody except myself.
第六份工作是为军队服务
The sixth job I had was for the United
在美军的文具供应部干活
States army in the stationery supply department.
因为我算术好
Because I am good with numbers I had to
由我来算军队需要圆珠笔的数量
Work out how many ballpoint pens the army needed.
一天他们做了一次安全检查
One day they did a security check and asked
问我有没有参加任何激进社团
Whether I was a member of any radical groups.
我说我是
I told them I was a member of
纽约科幻小说迷俱乐部的会员
The New York science fiction fan club.
他们说那个不算 但还是解雇了我
They said this didn’t count but dismissed me anyway.
非常遗憾 我真的忘了跟他们说
Fortunately, I did not remember to tell them
我曾经是一名共♥产♥主义者
I was once a communist.
你信共♥产♥主义吗
Have you ever been a communist?
你曾经被乌鸦或是其它大鸟袭击过吗
Have you ever been attacked by a crow or similar large bird?
9岁的时候
When I was 9,
放学回家的路上一只乌鸦咬了我一口
A crow attacked me on my way to school.
[鸟类伤害病房♥]
我缝了3针 春天的时候
I had to have three stitches and in spring I
我会戴一头顶画有一对眼睛的头盔
Now wear a helmet with eyes I have painted on.
戴头盔走路的时候大家都笑我
People laugh at me when I wear my helmet.
我不知道为什么
I’m not sure why.
我不理解那些人
People often confuse me
我也试着不自寻烦恼
But I try not to let them worry me.
纽约是一座忙碌嘈杂的城市
New york is a very busy and noisy place.
我更想住在安静的地方 比如说月球
I would prefer to live somewhere much quieter iike the moon.
我不喜欢人群 强光
I don’t like crowds, bright lights,
突发的噪音 强烈的味道
Sudden noises or strong smells.
这些纽约都有 而且味道更刺鼻
New york has all these especially the smells.
出门的时候我常常戴鼻塞和耳塞
I often wear nose and ear plugs when I go outside.
那会让我保持冷静
It helps keep me calm.
我发现人们很有趣
I find humans interesting
但是我不理解他们
But I have trouble understanding them.
管他呢 我会理解你 信任你
I think, however, I will understand and trust you.
你看上去很开心
You appear very happy
说不定带有小虾宝宝的味道
And I think you would smell like a shrimp
我知道澳洲是产虾胜地
As I know australia has a lot of shrimps.
你会速读吗
Can you speed-read?
我自学同时看2页
I have taught myself to read two pages at once –
一眼看一页
One eyeball per page.
我该停笔了
I have to go now
虽然我还没讲到第七份工作
Even though I have not told you about my 7th job,
在一家避孕套工厂上班
In a condom factory.
望速回信
Write back soon.
你的美国朋友 马♥克♥思♥·杰瑞·霍洛维茨
Your American friend, Max Jerry Horowitz.
附言 随信寄去一张照片
Ps. please find enclosed a photo from one of those booths.
又及 谢谢你的”熟樱桃”牌巧克力
Pps. Thank you for the cherry ripe and I am
很高兴你和我一样喜欢巧克力
Glad you like chocolate as much as I do.
我从没吃过炼乳
I have never eaten sweetened condensed milk
不过这礼拜会尝试一下
But I will try some this week.
最后 我没用过避孕套
Ppps. I have never used a condom.
祝身体健康
Gey gezunterheyt.
马♥克♥思♥希望玛丽回信
Max hoped Mary would write again.
他一直想交个朋友
He’d always wanted a friend.
一个看得见的朋友 不是宠物或者塑胶雕像
A friend that wasn’t invisible, a pet or rubber figurine.
他数着星星 计算着信到达澳大利亚
He counted the stars and wondered how many days, hours,
需要多少天 多少小时 多少分钟
Minutes it would take his letter to reach australia.
[九天六小时四十七分钟后]
维拉并不感动
Vera was not impressed…
一点都不感动
..not impressed at all.
她想
This nutcase
这疯子怎么能做我女儿的笔友
Would not be her daughter’s penfriend, she thought.
世间丑陋的事物已经够多了
There was enough ugliness in the world.
一小时后玛丽才会从学校回家
Mary would be home from school in an hour –
有足够时间喝杯茶
Enough time for another cup of tea and a bit
再看一会板球 舒缓一下神经
Of cricket to soothe the nerves and dissolve
让马♥克♥思♥的来信从她醉醺醺的脑子中消失
The memory of Max’s letter from her pickled mind.
他出局了 难以置信
Yeah, he’s out. unbelievable. 14. england 7/150.
[第二天]
停下 等等
Stop! wait!
老兄 车上能放下一个垃圾袋吗
Hey, fellas, you got room for one more bag?
当然 町可太太 跳进来吧
Sure, mrs Dinkle. hop in!
说得好 凯文
Good one, Kevin!
快点 维拉 我们还要收其他垃圾呢
Come on, Vera. we’ve got some other bags to pick up!
玛丽 还有别的垃圾吗
Mary, is that all the rubbish?
没了
Yep!
回见 小姑娘
See ya, toots!
可爱的小宝贝
Sweet baby jesus.
虽然马♥克♥思♥的信
Even though Max’s letter
充满鱼头和橘子皮的味道
Smelt like fish heads and orange peel,
玛丽如痴如醉地读着这封信
Mary drank his words like a bowl of alphabet soup
从没这么兴奋过
And hadn’t been this excited since
除了那次拉尔夫爷爷在她鼻子底下变出一枚硬币
Grandpoppy Ralph had found a coin up her nose.
她马上回信了 就写在
She wrote back immediately on some
从屠夫那里偷来的包肉纸
Butchers’ paper she’d stolen from some chops.
亲爱的马♥克♥思♥ 很高兴收到你的回信
Dear Max, I’m so excited you’ve wroted back.
我的父母可能不喜欢你 以后就请把信寄给
I don’t think my parents like you so from now on send stuff
我的邻居莱恩·希斯洛普吧
To my neighbour Len Hislop
地址是韦弗利山拉明顿大道26号♥
At 26 lamington drive, mt waverley.
他是一位没有双腿的老人
He’s old with no legs.
他的腿在二战中被 吃 掉了
They got chew”d”ed off in world war ll when some
日本人把他关在笼子里 下面是食人鱼
Japanese peoples kept him in a cage above piranhas.
食人鱼是长牙的金鱼
Piranhas are goldfish that have teeth.
他对外界感到恐惧
He’s scared of outside,
这种病叫陌生环境恐怖症
Which is a disease called homophobia.
因此他每周付我5毛钱帮他取信
He’s started giving me 50 cents a week to get his mail.
我要攒下这笔钱在苏格兰买♥♥座城♥堡♥
I’m saving to buy a castle in scotland
然后和一个名叫”伯爵”的人结婚
And marry a man called Earl Grey.
美国能看到”诺布利特一家”这部片子吗
Do you get ‘the noblets’ in America?
我最喜欢其中爱虚荣的诺布利特
Well, my favourite noblet is vanity noblet.
他和谁都想交朋友 甚至和男孩子
He wants to be everyone’s friend, even the boys’!
你信中写道 你没有一个朋友
In your letter, you said you had no friends. .
其实我也没有
Well, neither do l.
昨天在学校
Yesterday at school,
伯尼·克利福德在我的午餐肉三明治上尿尿
Bernie Clifford weed on my spam sandwich
还叫我大便脸 因为我脸上有胎记
And called me “poo face” ‘cos of my birthmark.
真希望能像创可贴一样揭掉它
I wish I could peel it off like a bandaid.
他还笑我没有纽扣
He also laughed ‘cos I had no buttons.
扣子被艾瑟儿揪掉 妈妈又不会纫针
Ethel pecked them off and mum couldn’t thread a needle
因为她在品雪莉酒 所以就用夹子来代替
‘cos she’d been testing the sherry so she used pegs instead.
回家后 我爬到秘密基地里
When I got home, I climbed into my secret place
晚饭时再出来
Till dinner time.
其他孩子还嘲笑我的发型
The other kids also laugh at my haircut.
我的头发是爸爸给剪的 因为妈妈说
Dad has to cut my hair because mum says real
理发师会把头发卖♥♥给中国人
Hairdressers sell your hair to chinamen
填在床垫里
Who stuff mattresses.
我的老师潘德加女士 说我应该多笑笑
My teacher, mrs Pendergast, says I should smile more.
我告诉了妈妈 她就为我画了一个笑脸
I told my mum and so she drawed a big smile on me.
我想潘德加女士再也不会喜欢我了
I don’t think mrs Pendergast likes me anymore.
要停笔了 我的泪水已浸湿了信
I better go now. my tears are smudgling my words.
你的澳大利亚朋友 玛丽·戴茜·町可
Your friend in Australia, Mary Daisy Dinkle. .
附言 你被欺负过吗 能帮帮我吗
Ps. have you ever been teased? can you help me?
又及 我没试过悬挂式滑翔运动 也不是一个共♥产♥主义者
Pss. I’ve never been hang gliding before or been a ‘commune-ist’
不过我喜欢飞碟 也喜欢你的巧克力热狗食谱
But would love a frisbee and your recipe for chocolate hotdogs.
还有 为你寄去一点澳大利亚巧克力 亲手做的小绒球
Psss. I’m sending you some australian chocolate, a pompom I made
还有叫做拉明顿的蛋糕 它本是我的午餐
And a cake called a lamington, which I was meant to eat for lunch.
纽约赫伯克96/71号♥ 马♥克♥思♥·霍洛维茨收