他想把私有企业都移交给加利福尼亚州政♥府♥
He wants to turn private enterprise over to the state of California.
这本书我们肯定不会改编电影 是吧欧文
There’s one we won’t be optioning. Eh, Irving?
这本书卖♥♥得火极了
Well, it’s selling like crazy.
沃尔特·温切尔说辛克莱可能会竞选下一任州长
Walter Winchell says Sinclair may run for governor next election.
那个激进分子和希♥特♥勒♥一样
That rat Bolshevik belongs right up there with Hitler
不用把他们当真
on the list of people not to be taken seriously.
共♥产♥主义和社♥会♥主♥义♥之间有巨大的鸿沟
There’s a world of difference between communism and socialism.
他们都想空手套白狼
They both want something for nothing.
比如免费劳动力
Like a workforce for free?
半价 而且只是暂时的
Half, and only in the interim.
毋庸置疑 我们之中没人会
I think it’s safe to assume none of us here would welcome
欢迎像加州政♥治♥救世主这种社♥会♥主♥义♥改革者
a crusading socialist as California’s political savior.
至少罗斯福总统不会 对吧雷克斯
Certainly not FDR. Am I right, Rex?
私下而言 总统说这人值得关注
Off the record, President says the man bears watching.
尤其当下共和党
Especially now that Republicans
似乎执意让弗兰克·梅里亚姆再次竞选
seem bent on running Frank Merriam again.
加利福尼亚州第28任州长
辛克莱竞选过两次 才获得2%的票吧
Sinclair’s run twice before and got, what, 2% of the vote?
-各位 他就是个作家 -托马斯·杰斐逊也是作家
– Good people, the man is an author. – As was Thomas Jefferson.
得了吧 曼克
Come now, Mank.
厄普顿·辛克莱能与托马斯·杰斐逊相提并论吗
Upton Sinclair as Thomas Jefferson?
你说得对 WR
No, you’re right, W.R.
杰弗逊从未通过联邦法律来禁止石油垄断
Jefferson never got federal laws passed to ban oil monopolies,
或者铁路信托 也没清理过畜牧场
or railroad trusts, or cleaned up the stockyards.
他是个愤怒的作家 一个煽动者
He’s an angry scribe, a provocateur.
因为他激发思想
Because he provokes thought.
你总是和作家站一边 曼克
You always side with the writer, Mank.
大萧条期间 苦命的人们每周只靠五千块过活
Poor souls surviving a depression on five grand a week.
-共♥产♥党 -LB说得没错
– Commies. – L.B. is not wrong.
欧文 你是有学问的人
Irving, you’re a literate man.
你肯定知道共♥产♥主义与社♥会♥主♥义♥间的区别
You know the difference between communism and socialism.
社♥会♥主♥义♥下 大家一起富
In socialism, everyone shares the wealth.
而共♥产♥主义下 大家一起穷
In communism, everyone shares the poverty.
谢谢你的解释 曼凯维奇先生
Thank you, Mr. Mankiewicz.
厄普顿只是想让你
Upton just wants you to apportion
把圣诞节奖金分出去一点 欧文
some of your Christmas bonus, Irving,
给你家的清洁工
to the people who clean your house.
-要不说喜欢有曼克在呢 -我也是
– Now that’s why I always want Mank around. – Me too.
厄普顿 曼克
Upton, Mank?
没人要求你唱《国际歌♥》
Nobody’s asking to hear you sing “The Internationale.”
-那是什么 -共♥产♥党的国歌♥ 亲爱的
– What’s that? – The Communist national anthem, darling.
我想听 你会唱吗
I would. Do you sing?
没人该受我歌♥声的折磨 对吧 莎拉
No one should have to hear me sing. Isn’t that right, Sara?
能免则免
If at all possible.
作为加州共和党主席
As Republican state chairman-elect,
我告诉你 这里什么都不会发生
I’m telling you, nothing’s going to happen here.
加州的大人物不会允许这种事发生
The people who count in California won’t let it.
这么多争论都是白费口舌
All this talk is so much pissing in the wind.
说得好
Nicely put.
我听见老爹在电♥话♥里帮忙挑选总统内阁
I heard Pops on the phone helping to pick the president’s cabinet
就像电影选角一样
like casting a movie.
他们肯定能阻止辛克莱这种人
They can stop a guy like Sinclair.
不是吗 老爹
Couldn’t you, Pops?
抱歉
Pardon.
我胡言乱语罢了
I don’t know what I’m saying.
去吧
Go.
东京 在吗
Hello, Tokyo?
伦敦 在吗
London, you there?
-瞎扯 -那是什么
– Ah, nerts! – What is that?
老爹的无线电♥话♥
Pops’s radio-phones.
永远不能与你的帝国失联
Never ever be out of touch with your empire.
不 “瞎扯”是什么意思
No, no. What’s “nerts”?
就是布鲁克林人的”胡说”
Nerts is Brooklynese for “nuts.”
天呐
Jeepers!
我做了什么过分的事吗
What did I do that was so terrible?
我想我不该
I guess I shouldn’t have said that thing
当着特格韦尔的面说内阁的事
about the cabinet in front of Tugwell,
但大家什么时候在乎过我说的话
but since when does anybody care what I have to say?
有时候话到了嘴边拦不住
Those things just pop out of my mouth,
那一刻 我感觉…
and the moment they do, I feel like…
像是被捉了个现行
Like you got caught, jambes en I’air.

No!
难道你总是肆意畅言吗
Well, do you always just say whatever you think?
你脸红了
You’re blushing.
-没有 -就是有
– Am not. – Are too.
-没有 -就是有
– Am not. – Are too.
即使天色已晚 我还是能看出来
I can see it even in the dark.
我能说什么呢 曼克 玛丽安·杜拉斯…
Well, what can I tell you, Mank? Marion Douras…
上的是女子教会学校
Went to convent school.
赫达 卢埃拉
Hedda! Louella!
赫达·霍珀和卢埃拉·帕森斯
二人同为知名八卦专栏作家
这城♥堡♥附近的八卦专栏作家呢
Where’s a gossip columnist around this castle
关键时刻找不见人
when you need one?
我讨厌谈论公事 我永远搞不清他们在说什么
I hate shop talk. I never know what’s going on.
有一点千万不能提的是厄普顿·辛克莱
The one thing you never ever talk about is Upton Sinclair.
我注意到了
I noted.
提到他的时候 气氛瞬间冷了下来
The moment he’s mentioned, the evening turns.
-那是令人难堪的敏感话题 -是吗
– It’s sort of a sore subject. – Really?
说说看
Do tell.
我连这位辛克莱先生是谁都不知道
I don’t even know who this Mr. Sinclair is,
不过他在一本书里写了我们
but he wrote about us for a book.
我以前常一字不差地引用他
I used to quote it word for word.
“我目睹我们最富有的报纸出版商把他的电影演员情妇
“I saw our richest newspaper publisher keep his movie mistress
养在满是宫殿和城♥堡♥的私有城市里
in a private city of palaces and cathedrals,
这里到处都是从欧洲进口的垃圾装饰
furnished with shiploads of junk imported from Europe
周围是大♥片♥的土地
and surrounded by vast acres
供斑马和长颈鹿奔跑其中
reserved for use by zebras and giraffes,
他会开玩笑说自己花了六百万美元
telling in jest that he had spent six million dollars
帮他的情妇打造名声
to make his lady’s reputation
还用自己的报纸吹捧她一套又一套的装扮”
and using his newspapers to celebrate her change of hats.”
被人这样写一定很不好受
It must be hard to be on the receiving end of that.
人们在《现代银幕》的封面上看见过你
People think because you’re on the cover of Modern Screen,
就自以为了解你
they know you.
瞎说 我哪有什么好抱怨的
Nerts! What do I have to complain about?
虽然我住在鱼缸里 但我想要什么都能得到
I live in a fishbowl, but anything I want is mine.
如果可以 我愿意跟所有人分享
If I could, I’d share with everyone.
你知道的 曼克
You know that, Mank.
这位厄普顿丝毫不了解真实的…
This Upton doesn’t know a thing about the real…
谁都不能把威廉·伦道夫·赫斯特
Nobody but nobody makes a monkey
当猴子一样耍
out of William Randolph Hearst!
-我能理解为什么梅耶恨他 -为什么
– I understand why Mayer loathes him. – Why?
-辛克莱发现了他的干的坏事 -天啊
-Sinclair caught him with his pants down. -Yikes!
他写了梅耶受了贿睁一只眼闭一只眼
He wrote that Mayer took a bribe to look the other way
允许对手收♥购♥米高梅
so a rival could buy MGM.
-这事很复杂 -你觉得我听不懂吗
– It’s complicated. – Over my head?
不 是我不懂 盗窃专家才能搞懂
No, over mine. You’d need a degree in larceny.
-贿赂难道不是犯罪吗 -辛克莱就是这么说的
– Isn’t bribery a crime? – That’s what Sinclair said.
小矮子本来可能要进监狱的
The little sausage might have gone to jail.
天啊
Jeepers!
真虚伪
The hypocrisy.
“我的大家庭 我的家庭”
“Mayn gantze mishpokhe. My mishpokhe.”
-我不太会说犹太人的语言 -真的吗
– I don’t speak a lot of Jewish. – Really?
是”我的家庭”的意思
“My mishpokhe. My family.”
他做的一切都是为了家人
Everything he does is for family,
除了他三更半夜把自己的公♥司♥
except when it comes to selling his last name
卖♥♥给竞争对手的时候
to a competitor in the middle of the night.
他竟然会那么对待自己的制片公♥司♥吗
He would do that to his own studio?
他和萨姆·高德温一样 只是股东而已
He doesn’t own MGM any more than Sam Goldwyn.
塞缪尔·高德温是米高梅创始人之一
他们只不过是为东部的金主经营公♥司♥而已
They just run it for the moneyboys back East.
而梅耶那个没人性的东西
And jail is not something

你的评论可以尖锐,也可以湿疣!