我在想那个老剧本
I was thinking about that old play,
《婆罗洲的野人》
The Wild Man of Borneo,
你好久之前写的那个
the one you wrote in the Ice Age.
人从不记得自己糟糕的作品 那个剧本太粗糙了
One never remembers one’s disasters. It’s considered gauche.
剧本被搬上大荧幕
A play is never a disaster
才能看出好不好
till the movies say it is.
我拿给工作室的人看了看
I brought it to my people at the studio.
我们想请WC·菲尔兹出演
We want W.C. Fields.
还想请你为电影改编剧本
And we want you to adapt.
我现在手头在忙别的事
I’m kind of on something right now.
我可以付你剧本和改编的报酬
I can get you paid for the play and the adaptation.
听着不错
Sounds great.
但我得考虑考虑
But I’ll have to think about it.
你知道这种事很看时机吧
You know how these things have their moment.
原来你不是邀请我 而是含蓄的最后通牒
So this isn’t an offer. It’s a subtle ultimatum.
没人能指挥得动你
Nobody could ever tell you what to do.
是莎拉让你来问我的吗
Did Sara put you up to this?
没有的事 但我清楚你的情况
Not at all, but I know how things are.
我能从她声音里听出来
I can tell by her voice.
-情况有多糟 我的弟弟 -有多糟
– And how bad is that, baby brother? – How bad?
我昨晚去了场派对
I went to a party last night
斯科特·菲茨杰拉德在派对上说你无药可救
where Scott Fitzgerald referred to you as a ruined man.
情况就是这么糟
That’s how bad things can get.
这话不错 我可能用得上
That’s good. I may use that.
-赫米… -别试探了 乔伊
– Hermie… – Please, stop, Joey.
有什么话就直说吧
Just tell me what’s on your mind.
我听说你在打危险人物的主意
I hear you’re hunting dangerous game.
坊间传闻说电影公♥司♥的金童
Word on the street is radio’s golden boy
想和威利·赫斯特对着干
wants to go toe-to-toe with Willie Hearst,
而你也在暗中协助
and you’re helping in the kitchen.
-所以呢 -“所以呢”
– And? – “And?”
赫尔曼 什么叫”所以呢”
Herman, “And?”
我真是昏了头
How stupid of me.
我以为我是不食嗟来之食
I thought I was rejecting a humiliating handout,
可原来我是在拒绝一笔贿赂
when all the time, I was nixing a respectable bribe.
我真后悔关心你
And I’m sorry I ever cared.
趴下吧
Come on.
内景 圣西蒙礼堂 夜晚 闪回
玛丽安和我很高兴你们能来此度过周末
Marion and I are pleased you all could come stay for the weekend.
希望火车旅行没那么难熬
I hope the train ride wasn’t too arduous.
今晚 我们欢聚在傍山小屋
And tonight, we’re celebrating our great friend’s birthday
是为我们的好友庆生 查理
in our little hillside home. Charlie.
♪ 祝你生日快乐 ♪
♪ Happy birthday to you ♪
♪ 祝你生日快乐 ♪
♪ Happy birthday to you ♪
♪ 祝你生日快乐 亲爱的路易 ♪
♪ Happy birthday, dear Louis ♪
♪ 祝你生日快乐 ♪
♪ Happy birthday to you ♪
生日快乐
Happy birthday!
路易 开心点吧 你看起来才48岁
Louis, you should be joyous. You don’t look a day over 48.
我感觉自己才35岁
I feel 35.
赫斯特先生 玛丽安 各位
Mr. Hearst, Marion, all of you,
我此刻真是心花怒放
my heart is full to bursting.
我的喜悦之情难以言表
I can’t express in words…
那就别说
Please don’t try.
WR 你的友情与良言
W. R., nothing is more precious to me
对我而言是无价之宝
than your friendship and sage advice.
我很庆幸能有你这个朋友
I am blessed to call you my friend.
上帝保佑威廉·伦道夫·赫斯特
God bless William Randolph Hearst.
-干杯 -上帝保佑大家吧
– Cheers. – God bless us, everyone.
-说得没错 -这真是个愉快的生日 路易
– Hear, hear. – A very happy birthday, Louis.
你选了国♥庆♥日作为你的生日
Our country should be flattered
美国都该感到荣幸
you picked its birth date as your own.
而其余人就只好满足于
The rest of us have to be satisfied
我们碰巧出生的日子了
with the one we happen to be born on.
曼克
Mank.
敬你那丰富的加拿大式想象力
Here’s to your rich Canadian imagination.
丰富的加拿大式想象力
Rich Canadian imagination!
也敬银行重新开业
Here’s to banks reopening.
再敬自♥由♥ 敬自♥由♥
And to freedom. Freedom!
我想你已经见过我们尊贵的客人了
I believe you’ve met our distinguished guest,
雷克斯福德·特格韦尔先生
Mr. Rexford Tugwell.
雷克斯是罗斯福总统的特别助理
Now, Rex is special assistant to President Roosevelt,
我们都很想听你说两句
and we’re all interested in what you might share with us.
也欢迎刚结束在欧洲
We all wanna welcome the Thalbergs
漫长的康复期的欧文·萨尔伯格一家
back from Irving’s long convalescence in Europe.
-谢谢 WR -很高兴见到你 欧文
– Thank you, W.R. – Good to see you, Irving.
-谢谢 赫斯特先生 -诺玛
– Thank you, Mr. Hearst. – Norma.
大家最近看了什么好电影吗
Anybody seen anything good lately?
我刚看了《第四十二街》 真是震撼
I just saw 42nd Street. It blew my wig!
离开布鲁克林也改不了说话习惯
You can take the girl outta Bed-Stuy.
-什么时候的事 -周末的时候
– When was that? – Over the weekend.
你在特区 我去圣巴巴拉看电影了
You were in D.C. I went to the pictures in Santa Barbara.
-这里不也有放映厅吗 -华纳的片子
– We have a fine screening room here. – Warner’s picture?
何必在那种电影上浪费钱
Why waste money on that?
-下次我要和你一起去 -好啊
– Next time, I’ll go with you. – Of course.
我特别喜欢《影音新闻》
I am bonkers about Movietone News.
我爱死劳威尔·托马斯的声音了
I love Lowell Thomas’s voice.
美国作家 电视节目主持人
他单身吗
Is he single?
我有一次在布朗德比餐馆坐在他对面
I sat across from him at the Brown Derby once.
-他请我喝了一杯 -不会吧
– He bought me a drink. – He didn’t!
严格来讲不是
Not technically.
但我之后特意在停车场佯装碰见他
But I made sure to run into him in the parking lot after.
我问他 “要搭便车吗”
I asked him, “Do you need a lift?”
不会吧 他怎么说
You didn’t! What did he say?
-我才不说 -这故事有重点吗 亲爱的
– I’ll never tell. – There’s a point to this, dear?
当然 他们放了希♥特♥勒♥
Well, yes, they showed that Hitler
发表演讲 亲吻婴儿的录影
giving a speech, kissing babies.
他让人毛骨悚然
He is creepers!
皮短裤配背带 确实可怕
Lederhosen and suspenders. Terrifying.
不 最恐怖的是他的胡子
No, it’s the mustache that’s the horror.
别担心 玛丽安 他不会得意太久
Don’t be alarmed, Marion. He won’t be around for long.
德国人十分严谨周到
The Germans are a thoughtful, considerate people.
别聊纳粹了
Enough about Nazis.
欧文 讲讲你的旅行吧 你去了哪里
Irving, tell us about your travels. Where were you?
其实我去了柏林
Berlin, in fact.
不过也挺有趣
But it was quite interesting.
整晚都能听见穿着棕衣的恶棍在酒店门口踢正步
Thugs in brown shirts goose-stepping past our hotel all night,
喊着反犹太的口号♥
screaming anti-Semitic slogans.
我天天提心吊胆
I was terrified the whole time.
这个希♥特♥勒♥听起来像是平庸之辈
This Hitler sounds like an utter drip.
美国不应该采取些措施吗 特格韦尔先生
Shouldn’t the United States do something, Mr. Tugwell?
我们在权衡所有选择
We are weighing all options.
肯定长久不了 谁会把这种疯子当真
Can’t last. Who in the world takes a lunatic like that seriously?
据我所知 有四千万德国人
Well, the last time I looked, 40 million Germans.
曼克 你总是这么特立独行
Mank! You’re always so wonderfully contrary.
“蔡斯与桑伯恩咖啡
“Chase & Sanborn’s der coffee.”
难道四千万纳粹都是错的吗”
“Can 40 million Nazis all be wrong?”
我才听说他们刚开设了第一个集中营
I just read they’ve opened their first concentration camps
还开始焚烧书籍
and started burning books.
-接下来呢 电影吗 -别说了
– What’s next? Movies? – Enough.
-这是真的吗 欧文 -没错 LB
– Is that true, Irving? – Yes, L.B.
希♥特♥勒♥也好 施密特勒也好
Ah, Hitler, Schmitler!
德国这么大的市场可不能放弃
You don’t turn your back on a market as big as Germany.
行了 玛丽安得忍♥受
Please. It’s upsetting enough
新闻片中的那个人已经够烦人了
Marion had to endure the man in newsreel.
集中营是什么
What’s a concentration camp?
太奇妙了 那些人十分喜爱他
It was fascinating. Those people adore him.
我又胡言乱语了
I’m probably talking nonsense.
你是今晚第一个没胡说的人
You’re the first tonight that isn’t.
说到社会党人 厄普顿·辛克莱的书呢
Speaking of socialists, how about Upton Sinclair’s book?
别提了
No!

你的评论可以尖锐,也可以湿疣!