不了 谢谢 我不饿
No, thank you. I’m not hungry.
自从我们到这儿我还没饿过
Haven’t been since we got here.
再见
Cheerio.
埋头写 降低目标
Write hard. Aim low.
上次说到哪里了 长官
Where were we, chief?
你要怎么办
What are you gonna do?
-什么怎么办 -他说得对
– About what? – He’s right.
你到圣诞节才能写完
You won’t be done till Christmas.
-什么 -你答应过的
– What? – You made a promise.
-我什么 -60天只剩下两周了
– I did what? – Sixty days is two weeks from now.
上次说到哪里了
Where were we?
伯恩斯坦的独白 那个渡轮上的年轻女子
Bernstein’s speech, the young woman on the ferry boat.
麻烦读给我听
Read it back, please.
“她身着白裙 撑着白阳伞
“A white dress she had on, and she was carrying a white parasol,
我只看到她一眼 她根本没看到我
and I only saw her for one second, and she didn’t see me at all.”
但那之后的一个月
“But I’ll bet a month hasn’t gone by since
我无时无刻不想着那姑娘”
that I haven’t thought of that girl.”
是曼凯维奇家族相册中的一幕吗
A snapshot from the Mankiewicz family album?
算是吧
You might say that.
真的很美…
It really is a gorgeous…
在这里卡住很美
Spot to get stuck?
伯恩斯坦的原型是路易·梅耶吗
Is Bernstein meant to be Louis Mayer?
如果形式服从功能的话
If form follows function.
梅耶是条可悲的哈巴狗 奉承我们的查尔斯·福斯特吗
Mayer is the same pathetic sort of lap dog to our Charles Foster?
伯恩斯坦这角色比他好多了
Bernstein is a far nicer character.
你不怎么喜欢梅耶
You don’t much like Mayer.
我要是有朝一日上了电椅
If I ever go to the electric chair,
我很希望他坐在我腿上
I’d like him to be sitting in my lap.
外景 米高梅工作室 白天 1934年 闪回
每周750美元 只有你薪水的一半 赫尔曼
$750 a week? That’s half what you make, Herman.
-你只是个初出茅庐的编剧 乔 -那又怎样
– You’re a junior writer, Joe. – So?
所以你的聪明才智只有你哥哥的一半
So, you’re only half the wit your big brother is.
-有多少笨蛋能挣到这么多 -赫尔 我看起来如何
– How many half-wits make that? – Herm, how do I look?
-跟平时一样 很好 -今天我会面对什么流程
– You look like you. Fine. – What should I be expecting?
你是我的亲戚 他已经把你当天才了
You’re related to me. He already thinks you’re a genius.
-行了 -你好
– Enough. – Good day.
如果你能做到以下两点 那么工作就是你的了
The job will be yours if you can do two things.
一 别翻白眼 二 尽量别睡着
One, don’t roll your eyes. Two, try not to fall asleep.
这里又不是好莱坞的高尔峡谷
This isn’t Gower Gulch.
你想让我拍一部讲妓♥女♥的电影
You want I should make a picture about a prostitute?
那有什么不好
What’s wrong with that?
我妈就是一个不折不扣的婊♥子♥
My mother was nothing but a whore.
你怎能那么说你自己的亲生母亲
You would talk about your own mother that way?
那个给了你生命的女人
The woman who gave you life?
你个忘恩负义的混♥蛋♥ 我要割了你的卵蛋
You ungrateful bastard! I ought to cut your balls off!
来啊 你个收废品的 我依然比你强
Do it, you fucking junk dealer! I’ll still be the better man!
LB 这位是我弟弟 乔
L.B., this is my brother, Joe.
见到你很高兴 乔瑟夫 我是路易·梅耶
Nice to meet you, Joseph. I’m Louis Mayer.
我都无法表达今天对他有多重要 路易
I can’t tell you what this means to him, Louis.
-他们都到了 梅耶先生 -这就去 乔 跟我走走
– They’re all there, Mr. Mayer. – On my way. Joe, walk with me.
米高梅电影公♥司♥
孩子 这家制片厂有三条工作守则
My boy, there are three work rules at this studio.
第一条 为艺术而艺术
Rule number one. Ars gratia artis, art for art’s sake.
你好
How you doing?
我们每年花在
One million dollars a year
不会拍的剧本上的钱高达一百万美元
we spend on stories we never even film.
为什么呢 我告诉你 它们没法让我哭
Why not? I’ll tell you. They don’t make me cry.
什么能让我哭呢 情感
What makes me cry? Emotion.
我哪里能感受到情感
Where do I feel emotion?
这里 这里还有这里
Here, here, and here.
第二条
Rule number two.
你可能听说过 米高梅的明星
You may have heard MGM has more stars
比天上的星星还多
than there are in the heavens.
-别信 -梅耶先生
– Do not believe this. – Mr. Mayer.
你好 我们只有一位明星 雄狮利奥
Hiya. We have only one star. That is Leo the Lion.
千万别忘了
Never forget that.
许多明星忘记了 所以他们现在在别处闪耀
Many stars have, and now they twinkle elsewhere.
第三条
Rule number three.
大家以为米高梅是米措-高文-梅耶的缩写
People think MGM stands for Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer.
其实不是的
It does not.
是梅耶大家庭的意思
It stands for Mayer’s gantze mishpokhe, Mayer’s whole family.
千万别忘了
Never forget that.
有问题 找爸爸
You got a problem, come to Papa.
我们这一行 买♥♥家出钱
This is a business where the buyer
只能买♥♥到一段回忆
gets nothing for his money but a memory.
他买♥♥下的东西依然属于卖♥♥家
What he bought still belongs to the man who sold it.
这就是电影的真正魔力
That’s the real magic of the movies,
其他人讲别的 你信都别信
and don’t let anybody tell you different.
我现在身陷困境
I find myself in a horrendous position,
我只好跪求各位
and I come to all of you on bended knee.
跟所有美国人一样 我们在受苦
We are suffering, as all Americans are,
因为我国的经济不景气
from our country’s terrible economic woes.
普通老百姓没钱看电影
Good people, everyday people, can’t afford to go to the movies.
所以就连我们卓越的梦工厂
So even our preeminent dream factory…
都面对着深重的财务困境
is in grave financial difficulty.
我恳请米高梅大家庭的每一位
I am asking everyone in the MGM family
迈出沉痛的一步
to take a painful step.
我请求给各位减薪
I am asking to roll back salaries.
我也不想
I don’t want to,
但为了让这个神圣的地方继续存在 我不得不这样
but for this hallowed place to continue to exist, I am forced to.
我不愿意因为钱这种事而拆散这个家
I won’t break up this family over something like money.
-要减薪多久 -应该不久
– How long are you asking for? – Shouldn’t be long.
-要减多少 -一半
– How much are you asking for? – Half.
-一半 -可能不到一半
– Half? – Could be less.
所有人都减吗 你减吗 梅耶先生
Is everybody going to be pitching in? Are you, Mr. Mayer?
真正的家人在顺境中相互扶持
Real families root for each other in the good times,
在逆境中相互照应
take care of each other in tough ones.
我们跟你一条心 LB
We’re with you, L.B.
你也许是跟他一条心了 巴里摩尔
You may be, Mr. Barrymore,
但是给器械工和电工减薪一半…
but a 50% pay cut for grips and electricians…
八周 朋友们 就短短的八周
Eight weeks, my friends, eight short weeks.
一旦罗斯福重开银行 就把钱都补给你们
As soon as FDR reopens the banks, you’ll get back every penny.
这一点 LB·梅耶
On that, you have the sacred word
向你们郑重保证
of L.B. Mayer.
我赞成
Well, I vote yes.
-我也赞成 -我也是
– I do as well. – Me too.
-我讲得怎么样 本 -很棒 梅耶先生
– How’d I do, Ben? – It was great, Mr. Mayer.
这还算不上我见过的最可耻的事
Not even the most disgraceful thing I’ve ever seen.

Good.

Ok.
-舒服吗 -舒服
– Yeah? – Oh, yeah.
行吗 好
Yeah? Okay.
稍微往左一点儿
Maybe a little bit left?
-行吗 -行
– Yeah? – Yeah.
这里吗
Here?
-对 -我得快点进城买♥♥打字机色带
– Yeah. – I’ve got to rush to town to get typewriter ribbon.
-这是今早的剧本 -垃圾 全是垃圾
– Here are this morning’s pages. – Dreck. It’s all dreck!
别妄自菲薄 至少你又开始写了
Don’t flagellate. At least you’re writing again.
没有一句能唱 一个音都唱不出来
None of it sings. None of it. Not a note.
你又不是在写歌♥剧
You’re not writing an opera.

Hello?
可我的确在写歌♥剧
But I am writing an opera.
找你的
It’s for you.
-喂 -赫尔曼 我是乔
– Yeah? – Herman, it’s Joe.
你好啊 小伙子 有事吗
Hey, hey, kid. What’s up?
-问问你的情况 你适应得如何 -如履薄冰
– Checking in. How are you getting around? – Gingerly.
-休息过吗 -连日出都没见过
– Any rest? – Haven’t seen a sunrise yet.
你从来也没见过日出
You’ve never seen a sunrise.
莎拉说你特意要了这个号♥码
Sara said you wanted this number.
想听听你的声音
Just to hear your voice.
她说你有工作上的事想和我谈谈
She said you had some work you wanted to talk about.

你的评论可以尖锐,也可以湿疣!