你能想象到吗
Can you beat that?
不只是”艾瑟尔” 而是”永远的 艾瑟尔”
Not just “Ethel.” “Always, Ethel.”
汤米 如果我们能在日落前抵达某个城镇
Tommy, if we can find civilization by sundown,
我希望能爬出这铁皮车 一头钻进冰马蒂尼酒
I hope to climb out of this crate and into a cold martini.
如果不是真心的 她就不会加上”永远的”
She’s not the kind to use “always” if she didn’t mean it.
如果她只想说自己是”艾瑟尔”
If she meant just “Ethel,”
那她就不会加上”永远的”三个字
she’d write just “Ethel,” not “always.”
-你说呢 -看路 汤米
– Wouldn’t you think? – The road, Tommy.
我知道了
I know.
你看一遍就懂我的意思了
You read it and see what I mean.
她爱我 不是吗
She loves me, don’t you think?
曼克 我是奥森·威尔斯
Mank? It’s Orson Welles.
-还能是谁 -我们该谈谈了
– Of course it is. – I think it’s time we talked.
我洗耳恭听
I’m all ears.
线圈式护眼笔记本
曾是山上的一座城♥堡♥
Once a castle on a hill,
如今已变成一段回忆
now a memory of what once was.
只身在他那尚未完工 却早已破败的享乐宫
Alone in his unfinished, already decaying pleasure palace,
偏远冷淡 罕有人至 从未被拍成照片
aloof, seldom visited, never photographed,
我们看见一个老头穿着浴袍 抽着烟斗
we see an old man in a robe, smoking a pipe,
独自坐在泳池旁
sitting alone by his pool…
废弃的纸张散落在他的脚边
discarded pages scattered at his feet.
旁白
Narrator,
“这位报业皇帝仍在执掌他的衰败王朝
“An emperor of newsprint continued to direct his failing empire,
妄图像从前那样
vainly attempting to sway, as he once did,
改变一个国度的命运
the destinies of a nation
而这个国度早已不再听命于他”
which had long since ceased to listen to him…”
不对 “不再信任他”
No. “Had ceased to trust him.”
透过树梢 我们看见一位助手
We see through trees as an aide
推着坐在轮椅上的这个老头
pushes this old man in a wheelchair
穿过一片精心修剪的草坪
across neatly groomed lawns.
旁白 “上个月在那边
Narrator, “There, last month,
和所有凡人一样 死亡降至…”
as it must to all men, death came to…”
我们喝杯茶吧 亚夫人
Let’s have that cuppa, Mrs. A.
我知道那个人是谁
I know who it is.
或者说你想写的是谁
Or who it’s meant to be.
你为什么会觉得我写的确有其人呢
What makes you think it’s meant to be anybody?
少来了
Oh, come, now.
只要是说英语的人都能马上认出他是谁
Everyone in the English-speaking world will recognize him instantly.
他还真是会说这种话的人
Exactly what he would say.
-你认识他吗 -可能吧
– Did you know the man? – Maybe.
我以前认识他
I used to.
-你给他的一份报刊撰过稿 -没有 谢天谢地
– You wrote for one of his papers? – Oh, no, praise God.
我是在他开始资助他女友的电影后认识他的
I met him after he started bankrolling his girlfriend’s pictures.
你认识玛丽安·戴维斯
You knew Marion Davies?
-当然 -真的吗
– If anyone did. – Really?
她是什么样的
What’s she like?
为什么表面上古板正经的英国女学生
Why is it when you scratch a prim, starchy English schoolgirl,
骨子里却都是狂热的电影迷
you get a swooning moving-picture fan
完全忘记了自己在历史课上
who has forgotten all she ever learned
学到的黑斯廷斯战役
about the Battle of Hastings?
历史上最后一次对英国成功的军事入侵
黑斯廷斯 1066年10月14日
Hastings. 14 October 1066,
气温十摄氏度
ten centigrade.
外景 派拉蒙制片厂 白天 1930年 闪回
查尔斯·莱德勒
查理 速来见我
有机会赚上数百万美元 而且竞争对手全是傻瓜
曼克
蜥蜴女 半人半蜥蜴
曼克
Mank?
抱歉 有人告诉我说曼凯维奇在这里
Sorry. Somebody told me Mankiewicz was in here.
他在 我是他前途光明的弟弟 乔
He is. I’m the promising brother, Joe.
-我不知道赫尔曼还有个弟弟 -没人知道
– I didn’t know Herman had a brother. – Neither does anyone else.
我猜猜看
Let me guess.
“有机会赚上数百万美元
“There are millions to be made,
而且竞争对手全是傻瓜” 得了吧
and your only competition is idiots,” stop.
你怎么知道的
How did you know?
我也不愿告诉你 但凡是能挤出三个词
I hate to tell you, anyone who can rub three words together
造个句的人都会收到这张字条
and make a sentence gets one.
走吧
Come on.
午餐时间刚过 我们在赶进度 他可能在忙
It’s after lunch, and we’re on a deadline. He may be busy.
-我保证不会打扰你们 -我倒不是这个意思
– I promise I won’t be a bother. – Not exactly what I meant.
天才在忙
勿扰
别这样嘛 你们知道我赌得起
Come on! Hey. You know I’m good for it.
-各位 -安静 这轮的赌注很大
– Fellas. – Shh. These are high stakes.
开吧
Go on.
-是背面 太好了 -妈的
– Ooh, tails! That’s it! – God damn it!
-曼克 -再来一次 输了翻倍 赢了一笔勾销
– Oh, Mank! – All right. Double or nothing.
这回 你这个瞪眼睛王八蛋
This time, you banjo-eyed son of a bitch,
要让硬币落到地上
let it hit the floor.
-瞪眼睛 -叫我王八蛋
– “Banjo-eyed.” – Son of a bitch?
曼克有次跟我赌了五注
Mank once bet me a five-spot
看一片落叶要多久才会落地
to see how long it would take a falling leaf to hit the ground.
-最后只好去找上级付钱 -就为了五块钱
– Had to go to management to cover it. – For five bucks?
是五千
Five thousand.
来啊 来啊
Come on, come on.
正面 混♥蛋♥
Heads, you bastard!
曼客
Oh, Mank!
很高兴跟你们做生意 先生们
Pleasure doing business with you, gentlemen.
查理
Hey, Charlie.
你们还记得阿冈昆的服务员吧
Yeah. You all remember the Algonquin cabin boy,
查理·莱德尔
Charlie Lederer,
一位出身贫寒但有点才华的杂♥志♥作家
a poor but somewhat talented magazine writer,
跑到西部来加入这个快乐的团队
come West to join our merry band.
-大部分人你都认识了 -考夫曼先生
– Well, you know most everyone. – Mr. Kaufman.
叫我乔治就行 小伙子
George is fine, kid.
-佩雷尔曼先生 -幸会 年轻人
– Mr. Perelman. – Nice to meet you, son.
叫您西德尼还是SJ
Do you prefer Sidney or SJ?
叫他什么都行 还有伟大的查尔斯·麦克阿瑟
Uh, he takes what he gets. The great Charles MacArthur.
很高兴又见面了
Good to see you again.
什么都略懂一二的常驻伙伴 谢利·梅特卡夫
My resident jack-of-all-trades, Shelly Metcalf.
-小伙子 -梅特卡夫先生
– Hey, kid. – Mr. Metcalf.
“先生”这称呼还是留给大主教吧
Oh, save the “mister” for the anointed.
最后是还没加入大伙的我弟弟 乔
And last, not yet among them, my brother Joe.
让塞克龙说 “比起高温
Have Cyclone say, “I don’t mind the heat
我更烦人类”
as much as I do the humanity.”
还有独一无二的本·赫克特
And the one and only Ben Hecht.
你破处了吗
Have you been laid yet?
这还用问吗
Do you have to think about that?
喂
Hello.
好 马上来
Yeah. Right away.
塞兹尼克找我们 五分钟
Selznick, everyone. Five minutes.
来得早不如来得巧啊 查理
You’ve arrived in the well-known nick. Charlie.
正好赶上了跟伟大的大卫·O开剧本会
Just in time for a story conference with the great David O.
-又要如履薄冰了 -薄冰 钢索还差不多
– Once more unto the breach… – Breach? Hell, unto the wire…
还没有安全网
Without a net.
别乱出声 等你的信♥号♥♥ 好吗
Keep your mouth shut and watch us for your cue, okay?
信♥号♥♥
Cue?
她这身材要是穿上紧身毛衣 开什么价我都愿意
What I wouldn’t give to see that in a tight sweater.
赫曼 这句我能用吗
Herm, can I use that?
我要进度报告 伙计们 快进来
I need a status report. Boys, come on in.
别客气
Ah, make yourselves at home.
大伙都认识乔·冯·斯特恩伯格了
Now, you all know Joe von Sternberg.
你们要72小时 72小时到了
You wanted 72 hours, you got 72 hours.
说说你们的进展吧
Tell us what you have so far.
-本 不如你先来吧 -这回挺难的 大卫
– Ben, why don’t you start? – Well, this was tough, David.
一开始 我们无法在方法上达成一致
In the beginning, we couldn’t agree on an approach.
是吗 为什么
Really? And why was that?
我们想的是跟以往不同的派拉蒙电影
Well, we see a different kind of Paramount picture.
怎么个不同法
Different how?
《科学怪人》和《狼人》合二为一 只是…
Frankenstein and The Wolf Man all rolled into one, only…
我不做廉价的恐怖片 环球才做这种片子
I don’t make cheap horror pictures, Universal does.
这个不一样 这个有内涵
Uh, this is different. This is about something.