‘Cause I haven’t made up my mind how she might react.
你的直觉呢
What does instinct tell you?
这是一剂强效药
It’s mighty strong medicine
可以治疗一辈子都天真乐观自我沉醉的人
for a lifetime of starry-eyed self-absorption.
这种办法可能是饮鸩止渴
It’s one of those cures that could be worse than the disease.
但你应该比任何人都清楚
But you, of all people, should know about that.
他拿走了剧本吗
He took the script?
他会给她看吗
Will he show it to her?
我不知道
I don’t know.
你希望他给她看吗
Do you want him to?
我不知道
I don’t know.
外景 特罗卡德罗夜♥总♥会♥ 选举前夜 1934年 闪回
辛克莱已经过时了
Sinclair is yesterday’s fishwrap.
从来没有胜算
Never stood a chance.
快做决定吧
Make up your mind.
我们是回家舔舐伤口 还是既来之则安之
Are we home licking our wounds or here making the best of it?
既来之则安之
We’re making the best of it.
-晚上好 您是 -曼凯维奇
– Good evening. Name? – Mankiewicz.
抱歉 什么
Sorry, what was that?
曼 凯 维 再加个奇
M-A-N-K-I-E-W-I-C, and outta nowhere, a Z.
-14号♥桌 -离得老远 方便退场
– Table 14. – Ends of the earth. Clean exit.
曼凯维奇 赫尔曼
Mankiewicz, Herman.
非常抱歉 是一号♥桌 这边请
Oh, terribly sorry. Table one. Right this way.
要是你说不出好话 就别开口
If you can’t say something nice, don’t say anything at all.
共和党
-一号♥桌 -莎拉
– Table one. – Sara!
老天 看看谁来了 真是惊人
Good grief. Look who’s here. How about that?
-莎拉 -你这朋友真可靠
– Sara. – What a loyal friend you are.
-我可没料到我们会看到曼克 -我真是大吃一惊
– I never thought we would see Mank. – I’m surprised.
我还以为你现在已经穿上睡衣准备睡觉了
I would’ve imagined you in pajamas by now.
曼克 我们在卡姆登看的是同一位牙医
Mank, turns out we have the same dentist on Camden.
莎拉 我们得腾一天去购物 叙叙旧
Sara, we have to plan a day of shopping and catch up.
赫尔曼 我遇见你弟弟了 你们兄弟太像了
Herman, I met your brother. He’s a chip off the old block.
非常英俊
Quite handsome.
请坐
Please, sit.
这对我的意义简直难以言表 你能来我很感动
I can’t tell you how much it means. I’m touched you’d come.
谢谢
Thank you.
我为什么爱你
Why do I love you?
其他人都喝什么
What’s everyone else having?
加州州长竞选
梅里亚姆 共和党
辛克莱 民♥主♥党
-真是美妙的夜晚 美妙的结果 -我愿意为此干上一杯
– What a great night. Great result. – I’ll drink to that.
你看 只要以感性的方式告诉人们所需的信息
You see, if you just give people what they need to know
就可以指望他们做出正确的事
in an emotional way, you can expect they’ll do the right thing.
我想你是说
I think what you mean,
“一个谎言只要说得够响亮够久
“If you keep telling people something untrue,
人们就会相信它”
loud and long enough, they’re apt to believe it.”
他没这么说
That’s not what he was saying.
怎么回事 怎么开始引用戈培尔的话了
What’s going on here? Are we quoting Goebbels?
-我愿意和LB辩论这个 -我也愿意看
– I’d like to debate that with L.B. – I’d like to see that.
曼克 再喝一杯吧
Mank. Have another.
还早呢 每一票都很重要
It’s early. Every vote counts.
也许明智的加州人下班比较晚
Maybe the informed of California were late leaving work.
欧文 据我所知这还是个民♥主♥国家
The last I heard, Irving, it’s still a democracy.
-民有的 -民治的
– Of the people. – By the people.
你们俩说什么呢
What are you two talking about?
这样如何
I tell you what, how about…
输了翻倍 赢了一笔勾销
Double or nothin’?
-他说什么呢 -赫尔曼
– What’s he saying? – Herman.
你真的什么都能拿来赌
You really will bet on anything.
留着你的钱吧
Keep your money.
我能教训那个乌托邦龟孙就很开心了
I’m happy enough just to nail that utopian son of a bitch to the wall.
我告诉你了 作为感谢你赌债已经免除了
I told you. Your obligation was canceled out of gratitude.
等等 什么
Wait a minute. What?
他都不欠我们了
He wants to wager double
还要下双倍赌注
or nothin’ on a debt he doesn’t even owe us?
-曼克 -这是原则问题 LB你不懂
– Mank. – It’s a matter of principle, L.B. You wouldn’t understand.
我懂得很 我愿意赌
I understand plenty. I’ll take that bet.
好 曼克 我们赌 你输了赔两万四 赢了不赢钱
Okay, Mank, you’re on. Twenty-four grand or nothing.
失陪了
Excuse me.
我要吐了
I’m going to throw up.
我需要透透气
I needed some air.
你为什么爱我
Why do you love me?
朋友们 请注意
Excuse me, friends.
今晚最后不完全统计…
The final, incomplete, count for tonight is…
厄普顿·辛克莱 讨厌的布尔什维克
Upton Sinclair, the lousy Bolshevik…
得票728653
728,653.
弗兰克·梅里亚姆
Frank Merriam…
善良的共和党人
The good Republican,
得票948814
948,814.
朋友们 朋友们
My friends! My friends!
大家站起来 跟我一起唱
Everybody get up and sing with me!
跟我一起唱 每个人都站起来唱
Sing with me! Everybody, up and sing!
♪ 美丽的美国 广袤的天空 ♪
♪ O beautiful for spacious skies ♪
这是大家一起努力的结果 谢谢
It was a team effort. Thanks.
♪ 金色的麦浪 ♪
♪ For amber waves of grain ♪
♪ 雄伟的深色山脉 ♪
♪ For purple mountain majesties… ♪
曼凯维奇先生 很抱歉打扰您
Uh, Mr. Mankiewicz, I’m so sorry to bother you,
有电♥话♥找你 这边请
but there’s a telephone call for you. Right back this way.
♪ 美国… ♪
♪ America… ♪
-喂 -曼克 我是谢利
– Hello. – Mank, it’s Shelly.
是谢利
It’s Shelly.
-他输了 曼克 -是啊 真是糟糕的一夜
– He lost, Mank. – Yeah, it’s been a bad night.
是我的错
It’s my fault.
伙计 放轻松 你只投了一张票
Oh, easy, fella, you only voted once.
他刚才还上了广播
He was just on the radio.
他说是虚假的新闻影片让他输掉了选举
He said the phony newsreels cost him the election.
可见他有多天真
That shows how naive he is.
是罗斯福坐视不管让他输掉了选举
FDR cost him the election by staying on the sidelines.
-睡一觉就忘了 -我没在家里
– Sleep it off. – I’m not at home.
你在哪 我给你叫辆出租车
Where are you? Let me call you a cab.
没关系 我开帕萨迪纳公路
Never mind. I’ll take the Pasadena Freeway.
选举夜路上没人
Nobody’d be on it election night.
还在吗
Hello?
在吗
Hello?
-请问你要打哪里 -诺曼底4761号♥
– How may I direct your call? – Normandie, 4761.
他烂醉如泥
He’s shit-faced.
谢利 是你吗
Shell, is that you?
我是赫尔曼·曼凯维奇 他去哪了
It’s Herman Mankiewicz. Where is he?
我不知道 我很担心
I don’t know. I’m so worried.
他走的时候很难过 身上还带了把枪
He left here very upset, and he’s got a pistol with him.
别着急 菲 我会找到他的
Don’t worry, Fay. I’ll find him.
-夏娃 -什么
– Eve. – What?
我是夏娃 菲是他第一任妻子
I’m Eve. Fay was his first.
我会找到他的
I’ll find him.
豪斯曼要回来了吗 没想到我会想念他
Is Houseman coming back? I never thought I’d miss him.
他和那位天才正在删减第一稿
He and the wunderkind are cutting the first draft.
这是创造性的活体解剖
A form of creative vivisection.
重要器官暴露出来后什么也没发现
Vital organs are exposed, nothing is learned,
病人就死在手术台上
the patient dies on the table.
谁来了
What have we here?
是只趾高气昂 竖着红色尖尾巴的喜鹊
Why, it’s a puffed-up, sharp-tailed, red-ruffled magpie.
什么
A whatie?
你觉得莫哈韦沙漠怎么样
How do you like the Mojave?
这是上帝对酒鬼和堕落者最好的安排
God’s answer for drunks and reprobates.
戒酒的好地方
Perfect place to dry out.
-那你进展如何 -没用 干杯
– How’s that working? – It didn’t take. Cheers.
敬生活
L’chaim.
你为什么这么做 赫尔曼
Why are you doing this, Herm?
-为了后人 -后人 才怪
– Posterity. – Posterity, my ass.
-源自拉丁语 -别班门弄斧
– From the original Latin. – Don’t patronize me.
我拉丁语成绩比你好
My Latin grades were better than yours.