And I feel as though it’s time we should try something new out again.
我需要繁荣
I need prosperity.
首先 我是个美国人
Well, first of all, I’m an American,
我相信梅里亚姆先生
and I believe that Mr. Merriam
会坚守这个国家在过去150年来
will support all the foundations and principles
一直坚持的根基和原则
that this country has stood for in the past 150 years.
我现在有份工作 我不想丢工作
I have a job now, and I wanna keep it.
我妻子和我都喜欢加州 我们也想留下
My wife and I love California, and we’d like to stay.
但万一我们得离开
But in case we should have to leave,
我希望手里起码还能有点钱
I’d like to have at least a couple dollars.

Cut.
哈蒙特里夫人 请告诉我们
Mrs. Hammontree, would you mind telling the
你投给弗兰克·梅里亚姆的原因
folks why you’re voting for Frank Merriam.
我要投给弗兰克·梅里亚姆
Well, I’m voting for Frank merriam
因为我想维护我们的生活方式
because I wanna keep our way of life.
您认为民♥主♥党员就不会维护您的生活方式了吗
You don’t believe a Democrat would protect your way of life?
那家伙是个社♥会♥主♥义♥者
Why, that man’s a socialist.
我不太懂政♥治♥ 但我很清楚
I don’t know much about politics, but I do know this.
如果厄普顿·辛克莱赢得了选举
If Upton Sinclair wins this election,
加州的私有制度就要完蛋了
private ownership in California won’t amount to a hill o’ beans.
我们的系统需要彻底的革新
Well, we need complete rejuvenation of our system,
所以我投给厄普顿同志
so I vote for Comrade Upton.
他的体系在俄♥国♥能行 在这里怎么就不行
His system work in Russia, why not here?
卡 再来一次
Cut. Do it again.
你怎么看
What’d you think?
说实话 谢利 如果表演水平能再好点
Truthfully, Shelly, if the performances were any better,
你就该感到羞愧了
you’d be ashamed of yourself.
这些人只有一半是演员
Only half of ’em were actors.
有那种第一手新闻的感觉 不是吗
It’s got that raw newsreel feel, hasn’t it?
但这不是新闻 也不真实
But it isn’t news and it isn’t real.
我不想争论伦理问题
I wasn’t looking to have an ethical debate thing.
-他们什么时候炮制出的这个 -制♥作♥部开了次会
– When did they cook this up? – At a meeting in production.
他们当时在传阅一个
They were passing around a
辛克莱写的传♥单♥ 叫作”消除加州的贫困”
pamphlet Sinclair wrote called “Ending Poverty in California”
“美国的失业者将会入侵黄金之州”
“America’s unemployed will invade the Golden State.”
-梅耶兴高采烈地要用这个对付他 -我猜也是
– Mayer was practically giddy to use it against him. – Yeah, I bet he was.
这足以让我相信 对无戒备心的公众而言
It’s enough to persuade me that a writer is more of a menace
编剧比党派文人要危险多了
to an unsuspecting public than a party hack.
-曼克 -你还好吗
– Manky… – You okay?
就是压力有点大
Just nerves.
要是你这么烦恼 谢利 干嘛要参与呢
If it’s bothering you, Shelly, why get involved?
他们给了我执导的机会
They gave me a chance to direct.
你不会真以为年龄足够投票的人会信这玩意吧
You don’t think anyone old enough to vote is gonna buy this shit?
只有那些相信金刚有十层楼高
Only the ones who believe King Kong is ten stories tall
禁止吸烟
违者将被处分
或者玛丽·毕克馥40岁还是处♥女♥的人会相信
or Mary Pickford a virgin at 40.
谢谢 塞德里克 这些就行
Thanks, Cedric. These are fine.
我刚看完我们拍的辛克莱影片
I’ve just watched our Sinclair films.
你怎么看
What did you think?
我对谢利并无不敬之意 但是比《金刚》差远了
With all due respect to Shelly, King Kong they ain’t.
尽管流浪汉入侵的片段
Though I do think footage
登在《洛杉矶时报》的头版
of invading hobos has a certain xenophobic power
加上低劣广♥告♥牌标语
when front-paged in the times
确实能煽动一些排外情绪
and backed by those tacky billboards.
谢利获得执导的机会
Shelly got a chance to direct,
我还免除了你一万二的赌债
and I canceled your $12,000 gambling debt.
只花一分钟对缺乏创意的电影公♥司♥高层游说
I’d call that a fair return on a one-minute lecture
就能有这样的回报很不错了
for uninspired studio chieftains.
你的导演正备受良知谴责
Your director’s been stricken with a bout of conscience.
那他肯定会自己告诉我
I’m sure he’ll tell me himself.
别这样做 欧文
Don’t do this, Irving.
我年轻时
When I was just a boy
在布朗克斯区发过社♥会♥主♥义♥传♥单♥
passing out socialist leaflets in the Bronx,
两位坦慕尼打手给我展示了一下我的方式多么错误
a couple Tammany goons came to show me the error of my ways.
其中一个踩碎了我的睾丸
And one of them crushed my testicles
迫使我同意把我的传♥单♥都丢进伊斯特河
until I volunteered to distribute my wares into the East River.
这就是政♥治♥ 这不是我创造的 我也不会为此道歉
That’s politics. I didn’t invent it, I don’t apologize for it.
梅耶不会为这个付钱的
Mayer’s not paying for this.
他从来不付钱
He never pays for anything.
威利
Willie?
-玛丽安可能会有点兴趣 -你得动作快点
– Marion might be interested. – Well, you’re gonna have to hurry.
梅耶正在那边和她解除合同呢
Mayer’s over there now giving her the company kiss-off.
你没听说吗
Oh, haven’t you heard?
她要带着婴儿护栏去华纳兄弟了 不回来了
She’s taking her playpen to Warner Bros. Permanently.
华纳兄弟
Warner’s?
我可不会让她出演玛丽·安托瓦内特
I wouldn’t let her do Marie Antoinette.
高德温算是说对了一次
Goldwyn’s right for once.
“扮演那个角色的喜剧演员就是要发笑”
“A comedienne in that role is to laugh.”
而且她的片子十年来一分钱也没赚到
Besides, her pictures haven’t made a dime in a decade.
恭喜 欧文
Congratulations, Irving.
我知道我的身份 曼克
I know what I am, Mank.
我不把工作当成体验生活
When I come to work, I don’t consider it slumming.
我不用幽默来让自己显得超然物外
I don’t use humor to keep myself above the fray.
并且我会为我的信念奋战到底
And I go to the mat for what I believe in.
我也没有时间搞别的
I haven’t the time to do otherwise.
但你 先生
But you, sir,
像你这样的人
how formidable people like you
如果努力的话其实可以大有作为
might be if they actually gave at the office.
关上门
Close the door.
这张拍得真漂亮
Oh, that’s a beautiful shot right there.
曼克 你还好吗
Mank! Are you okay?
不好 差点跑死我 威利在哪
No, that almost killed me. Where’s Willie?
大概在开罗
Cairo, I think.
-你能给他打电♥话♥吗 -我从不给他打电♥话♥ 都是他打给我
– Can you phone him? – I don’t phone him, he phones me.
他什么时候回来
When’s he due back?
11月6日之后吧 下周我去欧洲找他
After November 6th. I’m joining him in Europe next week.
玛丽安 我需要你帮个忙 就是跟威利开个小玩笑
Marion, I need a favor. It’s just a little joke on Willie.
当然 曼克 什么都行
Sure, Mank, anything.
我希望你回去跟梅耶说
I want you to go back and tell Mayer
什么辛克莱的虚假影片
Willie wants the phony Sinclair films pulled.
哪一部辛克莱假影片
Which phony Sinclair films?
没时间解释了 你就回去这么说
There isn’t time to explain. I just need you to tell him that.
我做不到 就算是玩笑也不行
Oh, I couldn’t, not even as a joke.
-为什么 -你知道我不撒谎的
– Why not? – You know I don’t lie.
所以他会相信你说的话
And that’s why he’d believe you.
玛丽安 拜托 你已经从修女子教会学校毕业了
Marion, please, you’re not in convent school anymore.
-抱歉 我知道这很蠢 但… -但什么 为什么
– I’m sorry. I… I know it’s silly, but… – But what? Why not?
-你保证你不会笑 -我保证我不笑
– Promise you won’t laugh. – I promise I won’t laugh.
-我的离开 -什么
– My exit. – What?
我已经离开了
I already made my exit.
-曼克 -怎么了
– Manky! – Whatie?
-有只灰喉翔食雀 -恭喜 最佳品种
– It’s an ash-throated flycatcher! – Congratulations! Best kind.
我能说什么
What can I say?
她是我姑妈
She’s my aunt.
这故事不是讲她的 是讲他
Oh, it’s not about her, it’s about him.
-或者说 是他 但不是她 -不是吗
– Or rather, it’s him, but it’s not her. – It isn’t?
孤独的歌♥舞♥女♥郎 困在城♥堡♥里玩拼图游戏
The lonely showgirl, trapped in a castle, doing jigsaw puzzles.
那更像是不认识她的人对她的想象
It’s more, her as people who don’t know her imagine her to be.
我懂了
I see.
是他们幻象的她 但是你认识的他
It’s her as they imagine her, but it’s him as you knew him.
-该死 查理 -是你叫我来的
– Damn it, Charlie. – You asked me out here.
我很荣幸能来读你的最新作品
I was honored to come and read your latest.
-这是测试吗 -测试 测什么
– Is this a test? – A test? Of what?
-友谊 忠诚 -别闹了
– Friendship? Loyalty? – Oh, come now.
还是说只是你想逃避责任
Or just your way of avoiding responsibility?
你什么意思
What do you mean?
你这样背叛我们 还指望我原谅你吗
Are you hoping I might absolve you of such a personal betrayal?
我不会的
I won’t give you that.
你有什么要说吗
Are you going to say anything?
-我得想想 -为什么
– I have to think about it. – Why?
因为我还不能确定她会怎么反应

你的评论可以尖锐,也可以湿疣!