who’s going to be staying. Oh.
很高兴见到你 你好 塔普林先生
Pleasure to meet you. How do you do, Mr. Taplinger…
-塔普林 -塔普林
– Taplinger… – Taplinger.
塔普林
Taplinger.
先生 您打算在这里住多久
And, uh, how long will you be staying with us, Mister…
不会很久 我在其他地方还有生意
Oh, not very. I have business elsewhere.
你和他提过苏菲了吗
Ah, have you told him about Sophie?
就是那个会读心术的女孩吗
Ah, now, is this the girl that can read minds and such?
-她可以看到你意识中的景象 -那是什么
– Well, she gets these sensory impressions. – And, what are they?
这个很难解释 她能和你产生心电感应
It’s hard to explain. She gets these mental vibrations.
她的大脑会有反应吗
Her head vibrates?
-喝一杯吗 -谢谢
– Drink? – Thank you.
-你喝威士忌吗 布莱斯 -好的
– Have you got a whiskey, Brice? – I absolutely do.
苏菲看着我的眼睛
Now, Sophie looked into my eyes
告诉我一些她根本不可能知道的事
and told me things about me she could never have known.
比如我以前的女朋友
About old girlfriends I’d had,
还有我曾去过的地方
and places I’ve traveled to.
天哪 你觉得她也能看出我的吗
Good heavens. You think she can do it with me?
当然了
Oh, of course. Of course.
不管你对生活以及未来又怎样的疑问
Whatever questions you have about life, the hereafter…
来 干杯
Here, cheers.
或者你旧时的恋人
Perhaps there’s a departed loved one
你想要联♥系♥的
you wish to make contact with.
苏菲全都能看到
Sophie sees all.
她可以预知未来
She can predict the future.
简而言之 她是个预言家
In short, she’s a visionary.
听说她很漂亮
And, I’m told she’s very pleasant to look at.
她是个美女预言家
She’s a visionary and a vision.
母亲同意出资建一个基金会
Mother’s agreed to subsidize a foundation
对她的工作进行严谨的科学研究
for the serious scientific study of her work.
得知这一举措后 我更急着想见她了
Well, after this buildup, I’m champing at the bit to meet her.
她正在露恩贝里家通灵
She’s doing some psychic readings over at the Lounsberrys’ house,
不过随时都会回来
but she should be here any minute.
我猜 露恩贝里家非常富裕
And the Lounsberrys, I take it, are wealthy marks…
是她也急着要拜访的
Uh, wealthy friends of yours
你非常富裕的朋友吧
that she was anxious to meet?
是的 你怎么会知道
Yes. How did you know?
灵光一闪
Mental vibrations.
打扰了 卡特莱奇先生
Excuse me? Telephone call, Mr. Catledge.
巴黎办公室来电
Your business office in Paris.
失陪一下
Ah, excuse me.
他现在任何商业上的事
He doesn’t make any business decision at all now
都得咨♥询♥苏菲后才决定
without consulting Sophie first.
我能怎么说呢 霍华德
Well, what can I say, Howard?
他就是个傻子
He’s a moron.
顺带说下 斯坦利
Incidentally, Stanley,
如果你可以
I think, if you could bottle
收起你的讽刺 表现得专业点
up your sarcasm a little more skillfully,
也许对我们的任务会有所帮助
it might help us on our mission.
霍华德 我们都想见到有超能力的人
Howard, we all hope someone will come along with superpowers,
但只有穿黑袍的人才有超能力
but the only superpower certain to show up wears a black robe.
说曹操曹操到 那个应该就是她了
Speak of the devil and superpowers, I think that’s her now.
她来了
Yeah, there she is.
-这是塔尔马奇先生 -你好
– Mr. Talmudge. – Hello.
-是塔普林 -你好
– Taplinger. – Hello.
是的 很抱歉
Oh, I’m so sorry. Yes.
你跟描述的一样漂亮
You’re every bit as lovely as you’ve been described.
谢谢
Thank you.
等等
Wait.
什么也别说 我正接收闪灵
Don’t say anything. I’m getting a mental impression.
你来自东方吗
Are you from the Orient?
远东
The Far East?
是中国吗
China?
你在那里生活过 或拜访过吗
Have you been there, or do you visit?
为什么是中国
Why do you say China?
只是脑子里闪过这一映象
I just get that impression.
什么映象
And what impression is that?
不
No.
不重要了 它正在消失
Never mind. It’s fading, it’s fading.
你是她姐姐吗
And you are her sister?
妈妈
Mother.
妈妈啊
Mother, are you?
颧骨真美
What lovely cheek bones.
有其母必有其女啊
The apple does not fall far from the tree.
塔普林先生 你是干什么的
And what do you do, Mr. Taplinger?
-我是 -等等
– I’m… – Wait.
苏菲 在你的映象里
Sophie, what impression do you have
塔普林先生是做哪一行的
of Mr. Taplinger’s line of work?
苏菲的确有灵媒的天赋
I should say Sophie has psychic gifts.
真的吗
Has she?
映象不是很清晰 不过
It’s not immediately clear, although l…
我得到了一些指引
I do get some vibrations suggesting
塔普林先生经常周游列国
that Mr. Taplinger travels a lot.
那些指引很正确
Well, those are excellent vibrations,
不过这假设也说明不了什么
but it’s not an unreasonable assumption, is it?
很多人的工作都需要周游列国
I mean, plenty of people travel in their work.
我看到了德国 你去过德国吗
I see Germany. Have you been to Germany?
实际上 我最近在柏林有些生意来往
Matter of fact, I did have some business recently in Berlin.
这实在太厉害了
I’d say, that’s pretty damn impressive.
博甘先生 你认识吧 是个魔术师
Mr. Burkan, as you may know, is a magician,
别人带他来观察并揭穿我女儿
who was brought here to observe my daughter and find flaws,
最后为被她的能力惊叹
but has stayed to marvel at her.
这我还是刚知道
Well, what have I stumbled upon?
你还没说你是干什么的 塔普林先生
You never told us what you did, Mr. Taplinger.
你女儿也没说
Neither did your daughter.
出于某种原因
For some reason,
我的映象很模糊
my mental impressions are cloudy.
多云
Cloudy.
当你说你的映象很多云的时候
When you say your mental impressions are cloudy,
你指的是积云还是卷云
are they cumulus clouds or cirrus?
-塔普林先生是个生意人
– Mr. Taplinger is a businessman.
哪种生意
What line of business?
进出口贸易
The import-export trade.
我看到了中文信件
I see Chinese letters.
中文
Chinese writing.
也许你看到了我的干洗票
Perhaps, you’re visualizing my laundry ticket.
你在取笑我
You’re making fun of me.
我恐怕你搞错地方了
I’m afraid you’re in the wrong part of the world.
我主要从巴西进口咖啡豆和可可
I import coffee beans and cocoa from Brazil.
真没想到 真的吗
Well, I didn’t… Really?
我们是时候要走了
I think it’s time we moved along.
苏菲忙了一个下午
Sophie’s had a strenuous afternoon.
跟未知世界沟通是件很累人的事
It is rather exhausting communicating with the unseen world.
我确信塔普林先生
Well, I’m sure Mr. Taplinger
不相信未知世界的存在
doesn’t believe in the unseen world.
相反的 我一直觉得
On the contrary, I always thought the unseen world
未知世界是开餐馆的好地方
was a good place to open a restaurant.
走吧 苏菲
Time to go, Sophie.
幽灵也得吃东西啊
The spirits have to eat somewhere.
塔普林先生真是讨人厌
Mr. Taplinger is rather obnoxious.
虽说讨人厌 也不是完全没吸引力
Obnoxious, but he’s not entirely unappealing.
恭喜你 斯坦利
Congratulations, Stanley,
一下午时间
you’ve managed to alienate
你就成功得罪了整家人
the entire household in a single afternoon.
这些小伎俩我都见过
Oh, she’s nothing I haven’t seen before.
年轻漂亮的女孩跟着她的经纪人妈妈
Pretty young thing with a stage mother who handles the promotion,
谁知道通灵时灯一灭 会发生什么事
and who knows what else when the lights are out at the seance.
我要你看着她通灵
I want you to see her working.
更重要的是
More importantly,
当你揭穿她们时 我要在场
I want to be there when you expose them.
她的演技烂透了