我,我确实向你解释过我必须回波兰的原因。
I, I did try to explain to you why I must return to Poland.
我以为你能理解。
I thought you understood.
我明白,我很抱歉。
I do understand, and I’m sorry.
嗯…好吧,晚安,亲爱的。
Well… Well, good night, my dear.
晚安,居里夫人。
Good night, Madame Curie.
晚安,小姐。
Good night, mademoiselle.
皮埃尔,你不该那样跟她说话。
Pierre, you shouldn’t have spoken to her like that.
她是个很固执的女孩,妈妈。
She’s a very obstinate girl, Mother.
毕竟,波兰是她的家。
Well, after all, Poland is her home.
那是什么?
What’s that?
只是跟妈妈说她是个很固执的女孩。
Just saying to Mother that she’s a very obstinate girl.
固执。完全正确。这就是我的意思。
Stubborn. Exactly. That’s what I mean.
他们来的时候很固执。我第一眼看到她的时候就知道了。
Stubborn as they come. Saw that the first minute I clapped eyes on her.
不听道理。
Won’t listen to reason.
像蛤蜊一样封闭她的思想。
Closes up her mind like a clam.
好吧,我们去睡觉吧。
Well, let’s go to bed.
晚安,妈妈。晚安,儿子。
Good night, Mother. Good night, son.
晚安,爸爸。晚安,皮埃尔。
Good night, Father. Good night, Pierre.
她在其他事情上很聪明。
She’s so intelligent about other things.
晚安,各位。晚安,各位。
Good night. Good night.
-像蝙蝠一样瞎。——谁?
– Blind as a bat. – Who?
你的儿子。
Your son.
小姐·斯卡洛多斯卡吗?
Mademoiselle Sklodowska?
小姐吗?
Mademoiselle?
小姐·斯卡洛多斯卡吗?
Mademoiselle Sklodowska?
它是什么?发生了什么事?有什么不对劲吗?
What is it? What’s happened? Is anything wrong?
居里博士!
Dr. Curie!
我发现要你离开巴黎是不可能的。
I find it impossible for you to leave Paris.
但是,什么…不,请。我必须和你谈谈。
But, what… No, please. I must talk to you.
我发现自己处于一个非常奇怪的位置。
I find myself in a very peculiar position.
在过去的两个星期里,当你没有来实验室的时候,我发现一切都很混乱。
During these past two weeks, when you’ve not been coming to the laboratory, I’ve found everything very confusing.
做我的工作是不可能的。
It’s impossible to do my work.
简而言之,我发现没有你就活不下去了。
In short, I find it impossible to go on without you.
但现在,我突然明白了一件事。
But now, suddenly, something has become very clear to me.
我在实验室里对你很有帮助,不是吗?
Uh, I am helpful to you in the laboratory, am I not?
我不是吗?你不是这么说的吗?是的,当然。
Am I not? Didn’t you say that? Yes, of course.
有几次,我给了你一些你认为有价值的建议。当然。
A few times, I’ve been able to give you suggestions which you have found valuable. But of course.
嗯,然后。现在,虽然我倾向于紧张和不耐烦,你却完全相反。你有清醒的头脑,你很顽强,你永远不会放弃。这是一个完美的组合。

Well, then. Now, whereas I’m inclined to be nervous and impatient, you are quite the opposite. You have a clear mind, you are tenacious, you will never give up. It’s an excellent combination.
我可以把它和化学式NaCl比较,氯化钠。
I might compare it with the chemical formula NaCl, sodium chloride.
它是一种稳定的,必要的化合物。
It’s a stable, necessary compound.
所以,如果我们在这个基础上结合,我们的结合会一直保持不变,温度会保持不变,成分会保持不变。
So, if we marry on this basis, our marriage would always be the same, the temperature would be the same, the composition would be the same.
没有干扰,没有波动。
There would be no distractions, no fluctuations.
没有爱情的不确定性和情感。
None of the uncertainties and emotions of love.
但是…呃,呃,呃…我知道你对爱情的看法。我的意思是关于男人。
But… Uh, uh, uh… I know how you feel about love. About men, I mean.
我尊重这种感觉。这也是我自己的信念。
And I respect that feeling. It’s also my own conviction.
32、对于科学家来说,没有时间去恋爱。
For the scientist, there is no time for love.
我一直认为,科学和婚姻是不相容的,但相信概括是愚蠢的。
I have always believed science and marriage to be incompatible, but it’s stupid to believe in generalizations.
就我们而言,这将是一次很棒的合作。
In our case, it would be a wonderful collaboration.
一个美好的合作。你不觉得吗?
A wonderful collaboration. Don’t you feel that?
我觉得。
I feel that.
至于你父亲,从你所说的来看,我相信他会为这样的合作鼓掌的。
And as for your father, from what you have said, I am sure he would applaud such a collaboration.
他可能。至于波兰,你在那里能做的一点小事情,在你自己的地盘上,你能赚十倍,科学。
He might. And as for Poland, what little good you could do there, you could make up here tenfold on your own ground, science.
你觉得我该怎么做?
What do you think I should do?
我相信,带着我们共同的科学梦想一起度过我们的一生是一件非常美好的事情,在我们的探索中不断地一起努力,
It would be a very fine thing, I believe, to pass our lives together with our common scientific dream, to work together constantly in our search,
我们应该做出的任何发现,无论多么微小,都会加深我们对彼此的友谊,增加我们彼此感受到的尊重。
and any discovery that we should make, no matter how small, would deepen the friendship we already have for each other and increase the respect we mutually feel.
我想象不出有什么比我现在对你更尊重和友谊了。
I can imagine no respect or friendship greater than I have for you now.
我想象不出比你所提供的未来更充满希望的了。
I can imagine no future so full of promise as the one you offer.
那我建议你和我一起留在巴黎。
Then I suggest that you stay on in Paris with me.
我相信你是对的。
I believe you are right.
我很想留在巴黎。
I should like to remain in Paris very much.
谢谢你!
Thank you.
我们订婚了。
We are engaged.
订婚了吗?订婚了吗?
Engaged? Engaged?
我很抱歉。
I’m sorry.
哦,皮埃尔,我太高兴了。
Oh, Pierre, I’m so happy.
所以很开心。
So very happy.
还有我,我的孩子。非常高兴。谢谢你,妈妈。
And I, too, my boy. Very happy. Thank you, Mother.
谢谢你,父亲。哦,皮埃尔。
Thank you, Father. Oh, Pierre.
晚安,妈妈。我很高兴。
Good night, now, Mother. I’m so glad.
晚安,各位。晚安,爸爸。
Good night. Good night, Father.
晚安,我的孩子。晚安,各位。
Good night, my boy. Good night.
晚安,各位。晚安,各位。
Good night. Good night.
晚安,各位。
Good night.
请安静。请安静。请安静。
Quiet, please. Quiet, please. Please, quiet.
先生们,请安静。现在,请看着这里,在我数到十之前保持绝对静止。
Gentlemen, quiet, please. Now, look right here, please, and hold absolutely still until I count up to ten.
不动。
Still.
一,二,三,四,五,六,七,八,九,十。
One, and two and three, and four, and five, and six, and seven, and eight, and nine and ten.
我祝你幸福,居里夫人?
May I wish you happiness, Madame Curie?
大卫,谢谢你。
Oh, David, thank you.
你是第一个这么叫我的人。
You’re the first one who’s called me that.
再见,居里夫人,一路顺风。谢谢你,小姐。
Goodbye, Madame Curie, and bon voyage. Thank you, mademoiselle.
再见,我亲爱的玛丽。
Goodbye, my dear Marie.
哦,爸爸,亲爱的,再见。
Oh, Father, dear, goodbye.
哦,祝贺你。
Oh, congratulations.
祝贺你,医生居里。谢谢你,大卫。
Congratulations, Doctor Curie. Thank you, David.
再见,先生。再见。
Bye-bye, monsieur. Bye.
很抱歉从你身边挤过去。
I’m so sorry to push past you.
——对不起。——再见。
– Excuse me. – Goodbye.
现在,我把鸡肉放在哪里?
Now, where can I put this chicken?
妈妈,我们不需要更多的食物了。我们不去丛林。
Mother, we don’t need any more food. We’re not going into the jungle.
天哪,这是什么?
Good gracious, what’s this?
皮埃尔,你蜜月要科学书籍做什么?
Pierre, what do you want with scientific books on your honeymoon?
我们想读,妈妈。好吧,我实在忍♥无可忍♥了。
We want to read them, Mother. Well, this is the last straw.
妈妈,我们想要那些书。吃鸡对你更有好处,我保证。
Mother, we want those books. The chicken’ll do you far more good, I assure you.
再见。蜜月科学书籍。
Bye. Scientific books on a honeymoon.
你听过这种胡言乱语吗?
Did you ever hear such nonsense?
再见,我的孩子,再见。
Goodbye, my boy, goodbye.
再见。准备好了,玛丽?
Goodbye. Ready, Marie?
好了,他们来了。在这里,他们走了。
Well, here they go. Here they go.
来吧。
Come on.
你很可爱,玛丽。
You’re very lovely, Marie.
谢谢你,皮埃尔。
Thank you, Pierre.
这音乐很动听,不是吗?
The music is lovely, isn’t it?
是的。谢谢你!
Yes. Thank you.
皮埃尔?是吗?
Pierre? Yes?
你会讨厌回来吗?
Will you hate to get back?
在某种程度上,虽然我有很多工作我必须做。
In a way, although I have a lot of work I must do.
我该做什么,皮埃尔?
What shall I work on, Pierre?
我的博士学位应该选什么科目?
What subject shall I choose for my doctor’s degree?
有没有什么你特别感兴趣的?
Isn’t there anything that particularly interests you?
哦,是的。是的,有很多事情。
Oh, yes. Yes, a number of things.
但是…
But…
它是什么?你为什么停下来?
What is it? Why did you stop?
哦,没什么。这只是我脑子里的一个想法。
Oh, nothing. It’s just an idea that went through my mind.
那是什么?
Well, what was it?
你还记得贝克勒教授给我们看那块石头的那天吗?
Well, do you remember the day that Professor Becquerel showed us that rock?
沥青铀矿和他接触过的钢板。
The pitchblende and the plate he’d exposed to it.
是的。你知道吗,皮埃尔,我一直在想这件事。
Yes. You know, Pierre, I can’t get that out of my mind.
真的吗?为什么?
Really? Why?
我知道沥青铀矿中确实有某种东西会发出光线,但我无法克服一种感觉,那就是除了这之外,还有别的东西,
I know it’s true that the rays are given off by something in the pitchblende, but I can’t get over the feeling that there’s more to it than that, that there’s something else,
超出了贝克勒尔的解释。
something beyond Becquerel’s explanation.
我不太明白。
I don’t quite understand.
这些射线是什么,它们为什么会被释放出来?
Well, what are these rays that are given off, and why are they being given off?
科学上有一条公认的原则,那就是没有什么东西可以永远持续下去,不是吗?是的。
It’s an accepted principle in science that nothing can go on forever without running down, isn’t it? Yes.
我的意思是,时钟如果不上发条就会走远。
I mean, a clock will run down if it isn’t wound.
火如果不补充就会熄灭。
A fire would burn out if it isn’t replenished.
生命如果不喂食就会死亡。
Life will die if it isn’t fed.
然而,在这些岩石中,它们在地球的中心存在了数百万年,从未见过太阳,却不断地发出光线,完全由它们自己发出。
And yet in these rocks, which have been in the middle of the earth for millions of years, never seeing the sun, rays are constantly being given off, all by themselves.
这是什么能量?
What is this energy?
它来自哪里?
Where does it come from?

你的评论可以尖锐,也可以湿疣!