好吧,如果你严格地考虑这个问题……嗯。
Well, if you consider the matter rigorously… Hmm.
我得调查一下。
I’ll have to look into that.
这是我住的地方。
This is where I live.
再见,谢谢你。
Goodbye, and thank you.
当然,当然。
Of course, of course.
哦。再见,小姐。
Oh. Goodbye, mademoiselle.
我想说你的谈话非常精彩。
And may I say your conversation is very scintillating.
谢谢你!
Thank you.
这是一个非常大胆的假设。
It’s an extremely daring hypothesis.
早上好,小姐。早上好,居里博士。
Good morning, mademoiselle. Good morning, Dr. Curie.
我今天早上来晚了一点。我得去我的出版商那里。
I’m a little late this morning. I had to stop in at my publisher’s.
呃,我的书。
Uh, my book.
哦,是吗?
Oh, it’s out?
最早的复♥制♥品之一。刚从媒体那里出来。
One of the first copies. Just off the press.
论物理现象中的对称性:
“On Symmetry in Physical Phenomena:
电场和磁场的对称性。
“Symmetry of an Electric Field and of a Magnetic Field.
“皮埃尔·居里。”
“By Pierre Curie.”
这是一件值得骄傲的事。
That’s something to be proud of.
我想也许你会想要一份。
Uh, I thought perhaps you might like to have a copy.
我会的,非常乐意。
I would, very much.
好吧,那就归你了。它是你的,小姐。
Well, then, it’s yours. It’s yours, mademoiselle.
噢,谢谢你。一点也不。
Oh, thank you. Uh, not at all.
我在扉页上给你题字了,小姐。
Uh, I inscribed the book to you, mademoiselle, on the flyleaf.
我想这是通常的程序。
I believe that’s the usual procedure.
我很荣幸。
I’m very flattered.
不客气。
Not at all.
不客气。
Not at all.
进来。
Come in.
哦,贝克勒尔博士。
Oh, Dr. Becquerel.
我希望我没有打扰您,居里博士,但您能和我一起去我的实验室吗?
I hope I’m not intruding, Dr. Curie, but could you step over to my laboratory with me?
我想我发现了一件很有意思的事。
I think I’ve happened on something of great interest.
为什么,是什么?
Why, what is it?
你忙到没时间……不,不,不。不客气。
Are you too busy to… No, no, no. Not at all.
我马上就来。
I’ll come at once.
你不来吗,小姐?如果我可以。
Oh, uh, aren’t you coming, mademoiselle? If I may.
你不介意的话…不,不,不。到来。很高兴。
You don’t mind… No, no, no. Come along. Delighted.
我完全是偶然发现它的。
I came upon it quite by accident.
我想你们会同意这是非常特别的。
I think you’ll agree that it’s really very extraordinary.
它的本质是什么?
What is the nature of it?
你看到了什么?
Well, what do you see?
显然你拍了一把钥匙的照片。
You’ve taken the picture of a key, apparently.
是的,钥匙的照片。
Yes, the picture of a key.
但那把钥匙的照片是用一种非常特别的方式拍的。
But that picture of a key was taken in a very extraordinary manner.
那把钥匙的照片是在完全黑暗中拍摄的,没有任何光线。
The picture of that key was taken in complete and total darkness without light of any kind.
但是,这怎么可能呢?
But, uh, how is that possible?
几个月前,我有了一个想法,也许某些岩石和矿物可以储存太阳光和太阳能。
Some months ago, I had the idea that perhaps certain rocks and minerals might store up light and energy from the sun.
如果我把岩石和矿物质放在阳光下足够长的时间,它们可能会吸收一些光线,然后释放出来。
That if I left the rocks and minerals in the sun long enough, they might absorb some of its rays and then later give them out.
所以我做了一些摄影实验。
So I made some photographic experiments.
你看到这些石头了吗?它们都是不同种类的矿物质。
You see these rocks? They’re all different kinds of minerals.
就像你们看到的,我给它们贴上了标签,把它们放在外面阳光下晒几个小时,然后我把它们放在这个抽屉里的照相底片上,就像这样。
I labeled them as you see, and left them outside in the sun for hours, then I put them in this drawer on photographic plates like this.
然后我等着看它们是否会释放它们可能吸收的阳光。
And then I waited to see if they would give up any sunlight they might have absorbed.
我明白了。你的实验成功了吗?
I see. And your experiment was a success?
相反,我的实验彻底失败了。
To the contrary, my experiment was a complete failure.
我暴露在阳光下的岩石没有一块对板块有任何影响。
Not one of the rocks I’d exposed to the sun affected the plates in any way.
看,他们在那里。他们都是黑色的。每一个。
See, there they are. They’re all black. Every one of them.
那你怎么解释…现在请看看这个。
Then how do you explain… Now look at this one, please.
这已经被曝光了。我说的对吗?光已经到达了它。
That has been exposed. Am I right? Light has reached it.
是的,已经暴露了。
Yes, that’s been exposed.
这个盘子放在抽屉里。
This plate was lying in this drawer.
很偶然。我都不知道它在那里。
Quite by accident. I didn’t even know it was there.
是我放标本的抽屉。
It’s the drawer that I keep some of my specimens in.
我把石头放回抽屉的时候,肯定有一块在我不知道的情况下掉在了这个盘子上。
And when I was putting my rocks back into the drawer, one of them must have fallen on this plate without my knowing it.
我昨天发现的。
I discovered it yesterday.
这是我还没有晒到太阳下的岩石。
This is the rock that I had not yet exposed to the sun.
这是一种含矿物的矿石,叫做沥青铀矿。
It’s a piece of mineral-bearing ore called pitchblende.
为了确保不出差错,昨晚,我,我自己,就在这个房♥间里,在一片漆黑中,拿起这块从来没有暴露在阳光下的石头,把它放在一张照相底片上。
To make sure there could be no mistake, last night, I, myself, here in this room, in complete darkness took this rock, which had never been exposed to the sun and placed it on a photographic plate.
我把这把金属钥匙放在石头和盘子之间,就像这样,这样如果有光线从石头上射出来,它就会被拍摄下来。
I put this metal key between the stone and the plate, like this, so that it would be photographed if any light rays came from the stone.
半小时前,我冲洗了底片。
A half hour ago, I developed the plate.
这就是结果。
This is the result.
那么你的意思是,那块石头有自己能发出射线的东西。
You mean then, that there is something about that rock that gives off rays of its own.
足以穿透黑纸并影响这张底片的光线。
Rays powerful enough to go through black paper and affect this photographic plate.
先生,一定是这样。
That, monsieur, must be so.
这是不可思议的。这是难以置信的。
It’s incredible. It is incredible.
就好像有一片太阳被锁在这里。
It’s as if there were a piece of the sun locked up in here.
奇怪。这是非常奇怪的。
Strange. It’s very strange.
会是什么呢?辐射的性质是什么?
What could it be? What could be the nature of the radiation?
它的起源是什么呢?
What could be the origin of it?
也许我们永远也不会知道。
Perhaps we shall never know.
谢谢你带我去了贝克勒尔博士的实验室。
It was very kind of you to take me to Dr. Becquerel’s laboratory.
一点也不,一点也不。
Not at all, not at all.
居里博士,我也想感谢您允许我在您的实验室里做实验。
Dr. Curie, I want to thank you also for allowing me to do my experiments here in your laboratory.
如果没有你的好意,我不可能为工业协会完成这项工作。
I couldn’t have done this work for the Society of Industry if it hadn’t been for your kindness.
你已经做完了?
You finished that already?
是的,我必须快点做,因为从现在起我没有多少时间来实验室了。
Yes, I had to do it quickly because I shall not have much time from now on to come to the laboratory.
为什么?你什么意思?
Why? What do you mean?
从现在开始,我将不得不把大部分时间花在学习上。
From now on, I shall have to spend most of my time studying.
你知道,我还有不到两周就要考试了。
My examinations come up in less than two weeks, you know.
这么快?我没有意识到。
So soon? I hadn’t realized.
是的,我来这儿六个月了。这是六月中旬。
Yes, I’ve been here six months. It’s the middle of June.
这学期快结束了。
The term is nearly over.
它跑得多快。
How fast it goes.
是的。
Yes.
你知道吗,不久前那棵树还只是一具骨架。
You know, a short time ago that tree was a skeleton.
我过去总是盼望着去乡下过夏天,但我现在只是偶尔在那里,当我去看望我的父母的时候。
I always used to look forward to my summers in the country, but I’m only there at stray moments now, when I go to visit my mother and father.
他们在巴黎城外的斯考有个小地方。
They have a small place outside of Paris at Sceaux.
我过去常和我哥哥雅克在树林里散步。
I used to take long walks through the woods there with my brother Jacques.
不久我就要在乡间散步了。
Soon I shall be walking in the country.
我爸爸喜欢散步。
My father loves to walk.
你的父亲吗?他就在巴黎吗?
Your father? Is he here in Paris?
哦,不,在华沙。但我们偶尔会出城。
Oh, no, in Warsaw. But we get out of the city now and then.
华沙吗?
Warsaw?
但你不是想去华沙吧。
But you’re not thinking of going to Warsaw.
当然,为什么。但当吗?
Why, of course. But when?
我考试一结束。但能持续多久呢?
As soon as I finish my examination. But for how long?
为什么,……怎么,你忘了吗,居里博士,如果我通过考试,我就要回波兰教书了?
Why, for… Why, had you forgotten, Dr. Curie, that if I pass my examinations, I’m going back to Poland to teach?
但我……你刚来的时候我就知道这是你的主意,但现在一切都变了。
But I… Well, I knew that was your idea when you first came, but everything has changed now.
你在做自己的实验,而且…我知道,我也会想念巴黎的。
You are making experiments of your own and… I know, and I shall miss Paris, too.
但这太荒谬了,太棒了!为什么,我从来没想过。
But this is absurd, fantastic! Why, it never occurred to me.
我,我,我根本没想过要这样。
Oh, I–I–I hadn’t planned on this at all.
你怎能梦想做这样的事?
How can you dream of doing such a thing?
在取得如此进步的时候却放弃科学?
Abandon science when you’re making such progress?
我爸爸变老了。他想念我。
My father is getting old. He misses me.
但如果你留在波兰,你就不可能继续你的学业。
But if you stay on in Poland, you can’t possibly go on with your studies.
任何人都可以教书,但你可以做得更多。更多。
Anyone can teach, but you can do more. Much more.
你有一种天赋,一种非常明确的天赋,你有责任去利用它,有那么多事情要做,有那么多事情是你做梦也想不到的。
You have a talent, a very definite talent, and it’s your duty to use it, with so much to be done, so much that’s still undreamed of.
小姐,我,我,我请求你再考虑一下。
Oh, mademoiselle, I–I–I beg you to reconsider.
你真好,居里医生。
Oh, it’s very kind of you, Dr. Curie.
我真的受宠若惊。
I’m really flattered.
我恐怕不能放弃我一直以来的整个计划。
I’m afraid I can’t give up the entire plan that I’ve had for so long.
我以为,你当然知道。
I thought, of course, you knew.
我不明白一个有科学头脑的人怎么会有放弃科学的想法。
I do not understand how anyone with a scientific mind can entertain the thought of abandoning science.
我知道。
I know.
但还有其他重要的事情。
But there are other things that are important, too.
居里博士。是的,小姐。
Dr. Curie. Yes, mademoiselle.
我本来想问你的。我猜你不愿意参加我的毕业典礼。
I had meant to ask you. I suppose you wouldn’t care to attend my graduation.
我应该很高兴看到你拿到学位,但是,嗯,我有…总是有那么一大群人。当然,当然。
Well, I should enjoy very much seeing you get your degree, but, well, I have, uh… There’s such a crowd always. Of course, of course.
我完全理解。我也有同样的感觉。
I understand perfectly. I feel exactly the same way myself.
嗯,当然,我还会再来的,处理一些事情。
Well, I shall be coming in again, of course, to see to a few things.
再见,居里博士。
Goodbye, Dr. Curie.
再见,小姐。
Goodbye, mademoiselle.