50年前,巴黎是一个轻松愉快的城市,是许多旅行者的目标。
Fifty years ago, Paris was a lighthearted city, the goal of many a traveler.
但有些人来这里不是为了快乐,而是为了工作,为了在世界上最著名的大学之一——索邦大学学习。
But some came not for gaiety, but to work, to study at one of the world’s most famous universities, the Sorbonne.
来自世界各地的学生来到教室上课,其中有一个年轻的女孩。
To its lecture rooms and classes came students from all over the world, and among them was a young girl.
她是可怜的。她很美。
She was poor. She was beautiful.
她离开了她的家乡和家庭。
She had left her homeland and family.
而在巴黎,她独自一人,被梦想和不可战胜的渴望所困扰。
And here, in Paris, she was alone, haunted by dreams and invincibly eager.
...独自进入太空。
…go out alone into space.
单独出去。
Go out alone.
你在这里是一百。一百名学生。
You are a hundred here. One hundred students.
但是,当你需要思考的时候,你也会是孤独的,就像这个方程的作者,我们说,就像牛顿,或者伽利略。
But when it is time for you to think, you, too, will be alone, like the author of this equation, like Newton, let us say, or Galileo.
也许你的运气并不好,因为你能到达这么高的地方,用指尖抓住一颗星星。
Probably it will not be your good fortune to reach so high to catch a star on your fingertips.
用指尖抓住一颗星星。
To catch a star on your fingertips.
但这个你可以和他们分享。
But this you can share with them.
你可以学会与自然独处,与一束光,一块土地,一滴雨。
You can learn to be alone with nature, with a ray of light, a piece of earth, a drop of rain.
你可以意识到地球以每小时66000英里的速度围绕太阳旋转。
You can become aware of the earth whirling about the sun at the rate of 66,000 miles per hour.
意识到……
Aware that the…
什么……什么……那是什么?
What… What… What-What’s that?
你感觉好些了吗?
You are feeling better?
坐着,静静地坐一会儿。你晕倒了。
Sit, sit still a moment. You fainted.
我…对不起,我如此愚蠢地打断了别人的演讲。
I… I’m sorry I interrupted the lecture so stupidly.
你可以从其他学生那里得到笔记。
You can get the notes from some other student.
你叫玛丽·斯克洛多夫斯卡?是的。
Your name is Marie Sklodowska? Yes.
你有两个硕士学位,一个是物理,一个是数学?
You are working for two master’s degrees, one in physics and one in mathematics?
你去年数学考试得了第一名?
You passed first in the mathematics examination last year?
是的。
Yes.
你今天吃了什么?
What did you have to eat today?
吃什么?是的,吃了。
Eat? Yes, eat.
我不记得了。我吃了一些午饭。
I don’t remember. I had some lunch.
你吃了什么?
What did you have?
一些……各种各样的事情。
Some… All sorts of things.
您的房♥间好吗?
You have a pleasant room?
是的,先生。
Yes, monsieur.
好。
Good.
戴上帽子,穿上外套。
Put on your hat and coat.
到来。
Come along.
请过来。
Come along, please.
在巴黎没有朋友是很不寻常的。
It is rather unusual to have no friends here in Paris.
我没有时间和朋友在一起。
I have little time for friends.
通常会有一些年轻人。
Usually there is some young man.
我对物理和数学感兴趣。
I am interested in physics and mathematics.
是的,我也是。
Yes, so am I.
然而,我有一个妻子,一个家,一个女儿和两个孙女。
And yet I have a wife, and a home, and a daughter and two granddaughters.
恐怕我永远也做不到。
I’m afraid I would never be up to that.
你是想回波兰教书吗?
Your desire is to go back to Poland and to teach?
是的。
Yes.
你父母在华沙?
Your parents are in Warsaw?
我父亲是物理学教授。
My father is a physics professor.
他是老了。
He is old.
等我拿到学位,我就回去跟他住。
When I have my degrees, I shall go back and live with him.
你喜欢波兰。
You love Poland.
哦,是的。我喜欢波兰。
Oh, yes. I love Poland.
物理,数学和波兰。
Physics and mathematics and Poland.
是的。
Yes.
吃你的汤。
Eat your soup.
非常感谢。
Thank you very much.
民族工业协会请我推荐一个人来研究各种钢的磁性。
The Society of National Industry has asked me to recommend someone to make a study of the magnetic properties of various steels.
如果你愿意,我很乐意为你推荐。
I would be glad to recommend you, if you wish.
当然,会有一些补偿。
There would be some recompense, of course.
我不知道具体是什么…哦,没关系。真的,它不会。
I don’t know exactly what… Oh, it wouldn’t matter. Really, it wouldn’t.
我会很感激的。
I would be so grateful.
当然,你需要相当笨重的设备。
Of course, you would require rather cumbersome equipment.
恐怕对我们的实验室来说太笨重了。
Too cumbersome for our laboratories, I am afraid.
然而,我认识一位很有才干的科学家,他在理化学院工作。
However, I know a scientist of great merit who works in the school of physics and chemistry.
也许他有个工作室空着。
Perhaps he might have a workroom available.
星期天来和我太太还有我一起喝茶。
Come and have tea Sunday with my wife and me.
我也会请他来的。
I will ask him to come, too.
你可能知道他的名字。是皮埃尔·居里。
You probably know his name. It is Pierre Curie.
哦,太谢谢你了。谢谢你!你真是太好了。
Oh, thank you so much. Thank you. You have been very kind.
一点也不,一点也不。
Not at all, not at all.
那么,再见。直到星期天。星期天。
Goodbye, then. Until Sunday. Sunday.
晚安,各位。
Good night.
晚安,各位。
Good night.
“用指尖抓住一颗星星”
“To catch a star “on your fingertips.”
啊!佩罗夫人吗?
Ah! Madame Perot?
你是玛丽·斯克罗多夫斯卡小姐,我知道。是的。
Oh, you are Mademoiselle Marie Sklodowska, I know it. Yes.
我们一直在等你。我丈夫跟我说过你的事。
We’ve been waiting for you. My husband has told me all about you.
啊,居里教授,多好啊。夫人。
Ah, Professor Curie, how nice. Madame.
你们见过面吗?
You two have met?
呃,我还没有荣幸在走廊上…这位是玛丽·斯克罗多夫斯卡小姐。
Uh, I’ve not had the honor in the hallway of… This is Mademoiselle Marie Sklodowska.
皮埃尔·居里教授。
Professor Pierre Curie.
我丈夫说你在巴黎没有朋友。
My husband said that you have no friends in Paris.
但那不可能,我的孩子。我们必须纠正这一点。
But that’s impossible, my child. We must remedy that.
请进,教授,请进。我相信你认识这里的每一个人。
Please, Professor, come in, come in. I’m sure you know everyone here.
在巴黎,你一定有很多朋友。
In Paris, you must have many friends.
我想让你见见这些迷人的…我可以把您介绍给……
I want you to meet all these charming… May I introduce you to…
从时间到…对不起,先生们。
From time to… Oh, pardon me, gentlemen.
居里博士。
Dr. Curie.
下午好,佩罗教授。下午好。
Good afternoon, Professor Perot. Good afternoon.
我不知道这是,一个派对。
I had no idea it was going to be, uh, a–a party.
我也没有,相信我,先生。
Nor I, believe me, monsieur.
这些聚会突然冒了出来,都是女人们好心办的。
They spring up suddenly, these parties, out of the goodness of women’s hearts.
我的妻子希望我的一个年轻学生多交朋友。
My wife wished a young student of mine to make many friends.
我不擅长参加派对。
Well, I’m very bad at parties.
我根本没法集中注意力。
It’s– It’s impossible for me to focus.
我的头脑不会遵循最简单的想法。嗯…哦,我,我,请原谅。
My mind won’t follow the most simple thought. Um… Oh, I–I–I beg your pardon.
不,你说得很对。
No, you are quite right.
那我改天再来吧。
Well, then, maybe, uh, I’ll come back some other day.
不,不,不。
No, no, no.
我想跟你谈谈我的一个学生。哦。
I wanted to talk to you about a student of mine. Oh.
也许我们可以找个安静的角落聊一会儿。当然,当然。
Perhaps we could find a quiet corner and have a few moments’ talk. Of course, of course.
由于这个学生没有多少钱,而且我相信他很有才华,我想你们物理和化学学院可能会有一个工作室。
And as this student has very little money and is, I believe, extremely talented, I thought you might have a workroom available at the school of physics and chemistry.
好吧,我很高兴。
Well, I should be very glad.
不幸的是,此刻我们自己也非常拥挤。
Unfortunately, at the moment we are extremely crowded ourselves.
哦,这样的话……然而,我自己的工作室相当大。
Oh, in that case… However, my own workroom is quite large.
我不愿让你和我共用你自己的实验室。
I would hesitate to ask you to share your own laboratory.
我以前跟学生们分享过。
I, uh, I have shared it with students before.
你有吗?是的。其中一些非常安静和愉快。
You have? Yes. And some of them were very quiet and pleasant.
另一方面,有一个人最麻烦。
On the other hand, one fellow was most troublesome.
他,他经常吹口哨。
He–He used to whistle constantly.
我可以向你保证这个学生是很认真的。
Well, I can assure you that this student is very serious.
那我当然会很高兴。
Then I should be very happy, of course.
我看看能不能找到她。
I’ll see if I can find her.
我想你会发现她很真诚。
I think you’ll find that she’s very sincere.
她吗?
She?
哦,我的孙女。这是我的孙女们。
Oh, my granddaughters. These are my granddaughters.
原谅我。但是,呃…小姐。小姐。
Excuse me. But, uh… Mademoiselle. Mademoiselle.
你要喝茶还是咖啡?
Would you have a tea or coffee?
是的,谢谢你。茶。
Yes, thank you. Tea.
这是咖啡。
That’s coffee.
哦,哦。
Oh-oh.
这是咖啡。
That’s coffee, too.
...我要弹钢琴。大家请坐。
…going to play the piano. Please sit down, everybody.
在这儿坐一会儿,是的。
Sit down here a moment, yes.
来吧,来吧,孩子们。
Come along, come along, children.
你的表演时间到了。
It’s time for your performance.
你会原谅他们的,居里医生。他们要弹钢琴。
You’ll excuse them, Dr. Curie. They are going to play the piano.
来吧,来吧,是的。
Come along, come along, yes.
他们在那里,是的。
There they are, yes.
这就是我们刚才谈话的那个学生。
This is the student of whom we were speaking.
斯克罗多夫斯卡小姐,这是皮埃尔·居里博士。
Mademoiselle Sklodowska, Dr. Pierre Curie.