Or did you have a fight with him, too?
是真的吗?
Did you?
让莫瓦见鬼去罢 他心情好时才帮助我
Mauve can go to hell. He helps me when he’s in the mood.
其它的时间,他才不管我是死是活
The rest of the time, he doesn’t care whether I’m dead or alive.
“啊,对不起,我的孩子 回家去吧 我现在不能见你
“Oh, I’m sorry, my boy. Go home. I can’t see you now.
“回家去画这些石膏像 ”
“Go home and work with those casts.”
我腻烦透了画这些白♥痴♥一样的石膏像!
I’m sick of working with those idiotic casts!
别看不起他的这些石膏像
Don’t look down your nose at those casts of his.
他的画可以卖♥♥出去!
He sells what he paints!
我不想听你说这些石膏像,谁也不要说它们!
I don’t want to hear about those casts from you or from anybody else!
西恩?
Cien?
你去什么地方了? 我问你去什么地方了
Where’ve you been? I asked you where you’ve been.
-在我母亲家 -整整两天?
– At my mother’s. – For two days?
-你说不会回来了 -总要吃点儿别的东西吧
– You said you wouldn’t go back. – There was something to eat.
你答应过不再过那种生活了
You promised not to get into that life again.
说得轻巧
And some jokes for a change.
-你要去哪儿? -我父亲病了 我得回去
– Where are you going? – My father’s ill. I have to go back.
-你要走多久? -看情况
– How long will you be gone? – Depends on what happens.
-文森特,我… -怎么?
– Vincent, I… – Yes?
什么事?
What is it?
没什么
Nothing.
壁厨里还剩一些平纹画布
There’s some painting muslin left in the cupboard.
给孩子做些衬衣吧
Make some shirts for the boy.
我不会在那等你回来的
I won’t be there when you get back.
-别那么说 -我本来不想告诉你
– Don’t say that. – I didn’t want to tell you.
我一直非常不安 另外,我母亲说得对
I’ve been feeling restless. Besides, my mother’s right, what she said.
你挣的钱,不够养活我和孩子的
You don’t earn enough for me and the baby.
-这种生活太糟了 -现在没有时间…
– It’s a bad life. – This is no time for…
你一到家就会忘了我们 没什么难的
You’ll forget about us once you get home. It won’t be hard.
-你要去什么地方?你打算怎么生活? -我想还是老样子
– Where will you go? How will you live? – It’ll be the old life, I suppose.
文森特,这不是你的错 你一直很好
Vincent, it’s not your fault. You’ve been good.
你是唯一对我和孩子好的人
You’re the only person who’s ever been good to me and the baby.
就像他是你亲生的一样
Just as if he was your own.
都上车了
All aboard.
是什么东西,让我和父亲无法沟通?
What is it that came between Father and me?
我为什么不能在他活着的时候,多体谅他一点儿?
Why couldn’t I have shown him a little more consideration?
让他愉快一点儿?
Given him some pleasure while he was alive?
隔一段时间去他的教堂一次,我不会有什么损失
It wouldn’t have hurt me to come to his church once in a while.
我们总是假定还有时间…
We always assume there’s time…
假定我们能够按自己的方式去献出爱
and that we can give love on our own terms.
有一天我们一觉醒来,却发现不管用什么方式献出爱,都太迟了
Then one day we wake up and find it’s too late to give it on any terms.
你还要去海牙过你的那种生活吗?
Will you go back to your life in The Hague?
都结束了 那从一开始就是错的
That’s over. It was wrong from the beginning.
来巴黎吧,文森特 我们可以住在一起
Come to Paris, Vincent. We could live together.
你不是唯一孤独的人
You’re not the only one that’s lonely.
暂时不,提奥,有一天会的,不是现在
Not yet, Theo. Some day, but not now.
你可以会见其它的画家 看看他们在做什么
You could meet other painters. See what they’re doing.
如果我要成为一个好画家,我就必须不让这道铁幕…
If I’m to be anything as a painter, I’ve got to break through the iron wall…
挡在我所感受到的东西,与我能够表达出来的东西之间
between what I feel and what I can express.
而我做这件事的最好机会是在这里…
And my best chance of doing it is here…
这里有我的根,有我熟悉的人…
where my roots are, the people I know…
有我熟悉的大地
the earth I know.
亲爱的提奥,谢谢你寄来的钱、颜料和画布
Dear Theo, thank you for the money, the paints, and canvas.
在你的帮助下,我取得了进步
With your help, I go forward.
我感到那股推动我去工作的力量 在我心中一天天增强
I feel the force to work growing daily within me.
你有没有意识到,提奥,我现在画的东西,是从未有人画过的?
Do your realize, Theo, that what I’m doing is new?
在古典名家的画中…
In the paintings of the old masters…
你什么时候见过 一个男人或女人在工作?
did you ever see a single man or woman at work?
他们什么时候尝试过画一个劳动者,或一个人在挖地?
Did they ever try to paint a laborer, or a man digging?
他们没有过
They didn’t.
而且有充分的理由 因为工作是非常难画的
And for good reason because work is so hard to draw.
瞧他那身打扮 那件破羊皮袄
Just look at the way he’s dressed. That old sheepskin.
天哪!告诉你,我真为那一家人难过
Oh, my. I tell you, I’m sorry for the family.
为了画这些人 就要每天同他们一起呆在地里…
To paint these people means to be with them in the fields day after day…
晚上守在他们的炉火旁
and by their firesides at night.
在雨季里,我对织布的人着了迷
Since the rains came, I’ve become absorbed in the weavers.
他们是这样好的主题
They make such good subjects.
旧的橡木 被一双双汗手弄得黝黑…
The old oak wood darkened by sweating hands…
织布机的影子 在灰色的泥墙上晃动
and the shadows of the looms on the gray mud walls.
这几个月里 我一直尝试找到一种模式…
All these months I’ve been trying to find a pattern…
试图在画手的时候 意不在手,而在手势…
trying not so much to draw hands, as gestures…
在画面孔时,意不在面孔,而在人们的表情
not so much faces, as the expressions of people.
那些男人和女人的表情 只有他们才懂得做苦工的含义
Men and women who know the meaning of toil.
我想清楚地表达这些人…
I want to make clear that these people…
虽然他们的晚餐只有土豆…
sitting around a meal of potatoes in the evening…
但他们在饭桌上的双手,却耕种着大地
have turned the soil with the very hands they put in the dish.
他们靠着诚实的劳动养活自己
That they have honestly earned their food.
我想让我的画 散发出熏肉和蒸煮的气息
I want to paint something that smells of bacon smoke and steam.
表现出我们荷兰田野特有的那种优美和深沉的色彩
Something that’s the good, dark color of our Dutch earth.
维丽米,进来吧
Willemien. Come in.
坐这儿吧
Here, sit down.
是怎么了?
What’s the matter?
-邻居们又说你闲话了? -你是知道他们的
– The neighbors been at you again? – You know how they are.
这么一个小地方
Such a small place.
这次说的是什么?
What is it this time?
部分和你的打扮有关,还有…
It has to do with the way you dress, partly, and…
我这么穿,是因为我在地里工作
I dress this way because I work in the fields.
因为我没有别的衣服
Because I have nothing else.
还有你的行为 他们不理解
And the way you behave, too. They don’t understand it.
这会给我们添麻烦的
It makes trouble for us.
父亲去世后,家里很不容易
Since Father died, it hasn’t been easy.
人们不来做客了 他们都躲着我们
People have stopped coming to the house. They avoid us.
这不是让人非常舒服的事情,而且…
It isn’t very comfortable and…
是你的那个年青人,他也不来做客了?
Is your young man one of those who’s stopped coming?
是的,他不来了 不过这没有关系
Yes, he is. But that doesn’t matter so much.
-不,这有关系 -有关系的是家里的其它人
– Yes, it does. – It’s the rest of the family.
母亲装作没有看见,但是我知道她心里很乱
Mother pretends she doesn’t notice, but I know it’s upset her.
她绝不会告诉你的,所以我觉得我必须告诉你
She’ll never tell you, so I felt I must.
我要出去了,再有几天这个就画完了,然后我就离开
I’ll get out. Take a few days to finish this, and then I’ll leave.
不,文森特,我不是那个意思
No, Vincent. I didn’t mean that.
你当然是那个意思,维丽米
Of course you did, Willemien.
没事的
It’s all right.
我在这里的事情已经做完了…
I’ve accomplished what I stayed here to do…
也许是动身的时候了
and maybe it is time to move on.
这些廉价的玩笑,让我恶心和厌倦 艺术是一项严肃的事业
I’m sick and tired of these cheap jokes. Art is a serious business.
至少在巴黎 有新思想的艺术家应该…
And in Paris, at least. An artist with a new idea should be…
至少在这一点上我是赞同您的,杜兰德-吕埃尔 印象派不是一个玩笑
For once I agree with you, Durand-Ruel. Impressionism is not a joke.
它是一个毒瘤,必须切除掉
It’s a cancer and it must be cut out.
宽恕艺术中的无政♥府♥思潮,就会断送法国的文明
Condone anarchism in the arts, and you seal the doom of France.
您打算怎么办? 查封画廊…
What would you do? Padlock the galleries…
-把那些画家押送到魔鬼岛去? -不对
– and ship the painters off to Devil’s Island? – No.
他们不是在画画 他们是把颜料装进枪膛…
They don’t paint. They load pistols with tubes of paint…
然后对着画布开火
and fire them at the canvas.
然后竟然还有脸签上自己的名字…
And then have the audacity to sign their names…
塞尚、席涅克、毕沙罗 高更、雷诺阿、莫奈
Cézanne, Signac, Pissarro, Gauguin, Renoir, Monet.
你认识这些人 你还代理过他们的画
You know these men. You handled some of them.
你为什么不告诉我?怎么不让我知道?
Why didn’t you tell me about it?
我在安特卫普给你写过信 我的信你都不看吗?
I wrote you in Antwerp. Don’t you read my letters?
可是看到他们的画,那些色彩,他们对光的运用
But seeing them, the colors, and what they’ve done with light.
-世上竟然有那样的绘画吗? -批评家和公众可不这么看…
– Is that painting? – The critics and the public don’t think so…
我在古拜尔画行的雇主们也不这么看
nor do my employers at Goupil’s.
我简直无法相信
I can’t believe it.
如果他们是对的,那么我所做的一切都是错的
Now, if they’re right, then everything I’ve done is wrong.
他们真的知道自己在做什么吗?
Do they really know what they’re doing?
你还是去见见他们,和他们谈谈,看看他们是怎么想的
You’ve got to meet and talk to them, see what they think.
这就我让你来巴黎的原因
That’s why I wanted you in Paris.
我在哪儿可以见他们呢? 我要问的问题太多了
Where can I meet them? I got so many questions.
-在凌晨二点? -为什么不能?
– At 2:00 in the morning? – Why not?
听我说,把那玩艺儿脱下来,好好休息一下
Listen, take that thing off and settle down.
这是你住的地方,知道吗
You live here, you know.
我们得把你变成巴黎人