请坐 别客气
Please sit down and make yourself at home.
我们马上就要走
We’ll have to go soon.
为何你跟父母 相处得这么不自然
Why are you so uncomfortable with your parents?
何以见得
what gave you that impression?
为何我们才刚到你就要走
– Why did you want to leave at once?
因我不喜欢他们那样对待你
– I didn’t like how they treated you.
怎样对待我
how they treated you.
你父母做盛行的
“What is it your parents are in?”
你家做盛行的
– What is it your people are in?
家父做糕点的
– My father bakes cookies.
什么字号♥
– What’s the name of the firm?
菲尔面包公♥司♥
– Phil’s Bake Shop.
在罗德岛格镇
– Of Cranston, Rhode Island.
多么有趣
– How interesting…
你们家是格镇人
– So your people are from Cranston?
大部分是的 家母来自福尔河
– Mostly. My mother is from Fall River.
我们在福尔有磨坊
– The Barretts have mills in Fall River.
它们世代都剥削穷♥人♥
– Where they exploited the poor.
那是十九世纪的事
In the 19th century.
你承继后可把所有钱 还给他们作赔偿
When you inherit, you can give all our money back.
那正是圣西门提倡的
That’s what the philosopher Saint- Simon advocated.
在十八世纪
In the 18th century.
-我们赶时间 -去哪里
– It’s late.
你们不在家吃饭吗
– Aren’t you staying for dinner?
-不 我必须赶回去 -好的
– Yes. – No. I have to get back.
别胡闹了 你们吃饭后才走 那是命令
You’re staying for dinner and that’s an order.
每件事都是命令 要听话 要照办
Everything is an order, a directive, a command.
你的幽默感到哪去了
Where is your sense of humour?
我在学校时 他常送便笺给我
In school, he used to send me memos.
便笺 你不觉得奇怪吗
Memos! Don’t you find that odd?
我认为很有趣
I find it rather cute.
奥 法学院有消息吗
Have you heard from Law School?
还没有
– Not yet.
他会考进去的 有谁比他更好
– He’ll get in. Who’s better than Oliver?
我同意 他一定会以优等生资格毕业
I agree. He’ll graduate with honours.
奥念书一直很好 从小就很聪明
He’s always done well in school. At Exeter, he was…
母亲 那不代表什么
It doesn’t mean a thing.
想进法学院的人有很多
a lot of guys are trying to get into law school.
我只是其中一个
I’m just one of many trying to get in.
我可打电♥话♥给乔
– I could give Price Zimmermann a ring.
不 请别这样做
– No! I mean, please don’t, sir.
只是问问他是否知道
Just to find out if he knows.
我想跟别人一样收到通知信
I want to get my letter with everyone else. Please.
他只是想帮你
– He was only trying to be helpful.
我不要这种帮忙
– I don’t need that kind of help.
好吧
– OK.
不 一点也不好
– No, it’s not OK.
他不插手是不会满足的
He’s not going to be satisfied until he cuts them off.
插手什么
what?
插手你不想被♥插♥手的事
What you wouldn’t like to be cut off.
那么我们要当心了
Oh… Well, we’ve got to take care of those.
你们保重了
– Take care.
小心驾驶
drive with caution, oliver.
迟一点不要紧 最重要是平安到达
– Get there a minute later, but get there.
你老想气你父亲吧
– You really like to bug your father.
彼此彼此 你没注意到吗
– The feeling is mutual.
你永远不罢休
You wouldn’t stop
只会使你父亲伤心
at anything to get to him.
谁也不能使
It’s impossible
奥力佛巴雷三世伤心
to get to Oliver Barrett lll.
除非 你娶珍妮卡维拉里吧
Unless maybe if you marry Jennifer Cavilleri?
你那么认为吗
– Is that what you think?
对 那是部分理由
– Yes, it’s part of it.
你不信我爱你吗
You don’t believe I love you?
我相信 不过 大胆一点想
Yes, but you also love
我想你也爱我平凡的身世
my negative social status.

No.
我不能下判断 只是那么想
I can’t pass judgement. I just think so.
我知道我不仅爱你本人
I love not only you,
也爱你的姓名
but also your name
和你的荣誉地位
and your numeral.
毕竟 这是你的一部分
After all, it’s part of what you are.
你怎能这样
– Oh, how can you do it?
什么
– What?
你怎能看到我 仍爱我
How can you see me and still love me?
那就是如此
That’s what it’s about, preppy.
-儿子 你好吗 -父亲 我很好
– How are you, son? – I’m OK, sir.
法学院有消息了吗
Did you hear from Law School?
有 我打过电♥话♥给你 记得吗
– Yes. I called you, remember?
对了 恭喜
– Yes. Congratulations.
你将是巴雷家 第一个上高庭的人
– You’ll be on the Supreme Court.
我也许只办交通案件
– I may just chase ambulances.
好的 雷蒙好吗
Fine. How’s Raymond?
他很好 进了军官学校
He’s fine. Got into OCS.
军队
Army?
那不错
That’s good.
那不好
That’s bad.
你没有提到珍妮
You haven’t mentioned Jennifer.
有什么可说的
What is there to say?
你不是已认定了才带她来的吗
You’re presenting us with a fait accompli.
但你觉得她怎样
– But what did you think?
我觉得她很有吸引力
– She’s absolutely charming.
像她那样出身能读到雷氏女大
With her background, to get to Radcliffe is…
把你的要点说出来吧
– Get to the point!
要点不在于那小姐 而在于你
– It doesn’t concern her, but you.
跟你忤逆有关
Your rebellion.
孩子 你在叛逆
And you are rebelling.
我想我不明白
I fail…
娶美丽聪明的雷氏女生
I fail to see how marrying a brilliant
竟是叛逆的表现
Radcliffe girl constitutes rebellion.
她又不是疯狂的雅皮士
She’s not some crazy hippie.
她全部都不是
She’s not many things.
什么使你厌恶她
What irks you most,
因为她是天主教♥徒♥ 还是因为她穷
that she’s Catholic or poor?
是什么最令你倾心
– What attracts you most?
我要走了
– I’m leaving.
别走 别孩子气
Don’t go off half- cocked.
我只要你再等一会儿
I would only ask that you wait a bit.
“一会儿”的定义是什么
Define “bit”.
读完法学院
Finish Law School.
如是真情 一定经得起时间考验
If it’s real, it’ll stand the test of time.
这是真情 为何要接受无谓的考验
It is real, but why should I put it through a test?
因我要求你
– I’m asking you.
你在命令我
– You’re commanding me!
如你现在娶她
If you marry her now,
我不会让你快乐过日子
I’ll not give you the time of day.
爸爸 你根本不知怎么过快乐日子
Father, you don’t know the time of day!
真理
我们期待着你下年度入读本院
We’re looking forward to having you with us.
院长 我也一样
Me too, Dean Thompson.
只是发生了事件 希望不是改变了主意
– Something has come up. – A change of heart?
不是 我仍决定上法学院
No, I’m still set on Law School, but…
我需要奖学金
I’m going to need a scholarship.
真的吗
– Really?
那是我的来意
– That’s why I’m here.
那真奇怪 由于你的背景
That’s rather curious, considering your background.
我再不是他儿子了
– I’m not his son anymore.
你说什么
– I beg your pardon?
我们有了些误会
We have had a misunderstanding.
意见不合
It’s a parting of the ways.
真是不幸

你的评论可以尖锐,也可以湿疣!