it was that it was ridiculous
与欲望为敌
to be at war with your own desires.
是荒谬的
He could easily imagine what people would say if they could see him now…
他轻易就能想像出 要是人们看到他现在这样会有什么反应…
Exactly the same thing they’d say if someone had told them
就和有人告诉他们
that Ray from next door was a transvestite,
隔壁的雷是易装癖
or that Ted from work
或是单位里的泰德在高速休息站
had anonymous gay sex at highway rest stops.
跟个男人干了的反应一般不二
“But we want what we want,” Richard thought,
“但是我们都想满足欲望” 理查德想道
“and there’s not much we can do about it.”
“这点谁都控制不了”
He had stumbled on the site 11 months ago
他是11个月前为一个咨♥询♥公♥司♥
while doing research for a consulting firm.
做调查时无意发现这个网站的
His office door was wide open.
当时他办公室的门还大开着
But he clicked on the link anyway.
但是他还是点击了链接
He was deeply engrossed in his discovery
当泰德敲门时
when Ted knocked on his door.
他正全神贯注于他的新发现
I’m taking lunch orders. You want something?
我正在统计午餐订单 有什么需要的吗?
Casually, but with great haste
理查德故作漫不经心
Richard banished Slutty Kay from his screen…
急忙将”淫♥荡♥凯”从屏幕上消除…
Uh, yeah, I’ll have a chicken Caesar.
嗯 好的 我要恺撒鸡肉
…and reentered the flow of an ordinary day.
之后又将思绪 重新拉回到现实生活中来
It wasrt until several months later
直到几个月后
that Richard gave the slightest thought to the site he had stumbled upon.
理查德才稍稍想起 他之前无意发现的那个网站
Do you need me for anything else?
还有什么要我做的吗?
Uh, no no, you can head home.
哦 不 不 你可以走了
I’m just gonna catch up on some e-mail.
我只是要回几封电子邮件
Well, don’t stay to late. Your dinner will get cold.
别工作的太晚 否则晚饭就该凉了
Lately Slutty Kay had become a problem.
最近”淫♥荡♥凯”成了他的困扰
He thought about her far to often,
他总是想起她
and spent hours studying
而且不停的研究
the thousands of photographs available to him.
网上上千张的有关她的照片
Some of Kay’s practices struck him as bizarre,
凯的一些行为对于他来说 就是古怪
even off-putting.
甚至是恶心的
She had a thing about kitchen utensils,
她手拿厨房♥用具 抹刀
spatulas, and dressing up like a little girl
打扮的像个小女孩似的
and playing with balloons.
玩着气球
But who was Richard to judge?
但是理查德又有什么资格评判呢?
Oh, that’s it.
哦 就是这个
Though as close as Richard sometimes felt to Slutty Kay,
尽管有时理查德感觉到 与”淫♥荡♥凯”亲密无间
as much as he believed that he knew her,
坚信自己了解她
he could never get past the uncomfortable fact
他却始终接受不了
that she existed for him solely as a digital image.
对于他 凯只不过是个数码图像这个事实
The panties were an attempt to solve this problem.
这些内♥裤♥就是用来 解决这个问题的
Maybe a sniff or two would hurry things along,
也许只需轻轻的嗅一两下 就能解决所有的问题
so he could get back downstairs to his real life,
他就能回到楼下的现实生活中去
where his wife was waiting for him
此时他妻子正等着他
her impatience increasing by the minute.
而且越来越不耐烦
What are you doing?
你在干什么?
Are you almost finished there? ‘Cause I’d really like to go for my walk?
你快完事了吗? 我真的很想去锻炼
You could have knocked. I did!
你该敲门的 我敲了!
We need to talk.
我们需要好好谈谈
You’re awfully quiet this evening.
你今晚静的出奇
Everything okay? What?
出什么事了吗? 什么?
Yeah.
对
You’ll have to walk without me tomorrow night.
明天我不能陪你了
I’ve got a book group meeting.
我要去参加”读书小组”活动
Okay.
好的
You’re sure everything’s all right?
真的没出什么事吗?
Yeah, sorry.
是 对不起
I guess I’m just a little tired.
大概我是有点累了
So what are you reading?
你最近在读什么?
“Crime and Punishment.”
罪与罚
Wow. That’s pretty highbrow for a book group.
哇… 你们选书可真有品味啊
Well, we have some very stimulating discussions.
我们已经进行了几次激烈的讨论
You should come next month. We’re doing “Madame Bovary.”
下个月你也应该一起来 我们要讨论”包法利夫人”
You could be my little sister.
你就当我小妹好了
Little sister?
小妹?
We’re trying to get younger women involved.
我们正努力吸收年轻妇女加入
We call them our little sisters.
称他们为我们的”小妹”
I don’t know, Jean.
我不知道 简
I read “Madame Bovary” in grad school.
我研究生时读过”包法利夫人”
It’s a pretty misogynist text.
里面充斥着对女人的厌恶
Well, that’s an interesting perspective.
你这观点可很有意思
You should come. Let me think about it.
你该来的 我想想再说吧
Oh, would you excuse me, Jean?
哦 我先失陪下 简?
Someone’s at my door. I’ll call you, okay?
我家来客人了 我回来给你打电♥话♥ 好吗?
Hi!
嗨!
Hi!
嗨!
Wow, God,
哇 天
this is a surprise.
我太吃惊了
I haven’t seen you since…
好久没见你了 自从那次…
l… I hope you don’t mind. Your husband said you’d be back any minute.
我… 希望你别介意 你丈夫说你随时可能回来
Oh, no, not at all.
哦 不 不介意
It’s good to see you.
见到你很高兴
God, um, can I get you some tea or something?
天 嗯 要喝点什么吗? 茶?
I can only stay a minute. I just came to warn you.
我不能久待 我是来警告你的
You know that guy, the pervert? Uhhuh.
你知道那个变♥态♥吗? 嗯
He’s been riding his bike near the playground
他一直在操场附近骑车…
checking out the kids. Oh, God.
窥视孩子们 哦 天啊
Oh, God, do the police know?
哦 老天 警♥察♥知道这事吗?
Nothing they can do. He’s not breaking any laws.
他这样做并不违法 警♥察♥现在拿他也没办法
I guess they’re just waiting for him to kill someone.
大概等他杀了人 警♥察♥才会出手
I just thought you should know.
我只是觉得这事该告诉你一声
Thanks, that’s nice of you.
谢谢 太感谢了
Let me get you some tea.
我去给你拿杯茶来吧
I’m sorry. L… I don’t think it’s a good idea.
抱歉 我… 我觉得这不大好
I didn’t mean to kiss him.
我不是真的想吻他
I don’t even know how it happened.
莫名其妙的就发生了
I’d better go. Mike’s gonna worry.
我得走了 麦克该担心了
You wanna talk?
你想谈谈吗?
I’m tired.
我累了
Hello.
喂
Hey.
嘿
No, he’s still sleeping.
不 他还在睡觉
Yeah, I’, uh, I’m going through it right now.
是 我 呃… 我现在正在看
No, I guess I don’t need them.
不 我不需要他们
Okay.
好的
All right, bye.
好的 再见
H-hi.
嗨
H-hello?
喂?
Yes, I’d like to place an order.
嗯 我想订一下东西
Pierce, Sarah, Mrs.
皮而斯 莎拉 太太
Um…
呃…
it’s the red bathing suit on page 29.
是29页上的红色泳衣
The hide-your-tummy halter neck.
收腹 颈部系带的
Uh, I’m size…
呃 我穿…
10, eight? I mean, I think.
10号♥, 8号♥? 我想应该是
E-eight.
8号♥
You want to go in the pool?
想去游泳吗?
You do?
你想?
One, two.
1, 2
Daddy, can I go in the pool now?
爸爸 我现在能去游泳吗?
In a minute, okay?
等一下 好吗?
Okay.
There you go.
好啦
Mommy, I have to go pee-pee.
妈妈 我要尿尿
Just go in the pool.
快去游泳吧
Huh-uh, I want to go to the bathroom.
不 我想上厕所
Really?
真的?
Okay, come on.
好吧 快点
Okay, ready?
好了 准备好了吗?
There.