-你被打过吗 -泰德
– Were you? – Tad!
我比你还小时被火铲打过
I was beaten with a fire shovel when I was younger than you.
您该去找林肯太太
You should go to Mrs. Lincoln.
她在威利的房♥间
She’s in Willie’s room.
她从不去那里
She never goes in there.
迎接队列已经在门口站好了
The reception line is already stretching out the door.
这地方15岁以上65岁以下
See, I’ll be the only man over fifteen and under sixty-five
没穿军装的就只有我了
in this whole place not in uniform.
我不到15岁
I’m under fifteen.
我头很疼
My head hurts so.
威利死的那晚 我祈求一同死去
I prayed for death the night Willie died.
头痛让我知道我没能如愿
The headaches are how I know I didn’t get my wish.
如何才能从白天熬到黑夜
How to endure the long afternoon that go deep into the night.
我知道
I know.
如何才能不去想他 我怎么做得到
Trying not to think about him. How will I manage?
-总能做到的 -能做到
– Somehow you will. -Somehow.
总能做到的 能做到的
Somehow. Somehow. Somehow…
每次派对 每次
Every party, every…
在这房♥子的四年里时刻在谴责我们
Four years more in this terrible house… reproaching us.
他病得很厉害
He was a very sick little boy.
我们应该取消那个招待会 不是吗
We should’ve cancelled that reception, shouldn’t we?
-我们不知道他病得多重 -我知道
– We didn’t know how sick he was. – I knew, I knew…
那晚我亲眼看到他奄奄一息
I saw that night he was dying.
三年前 战事正不断升级
Three years ago, the war was going so badly,
我们必须抛开情感强行振作
and we had to put on a face.
-我看着威利死去 -玛丽
– But I saw Willie was dying. – Mary.
-我就这么眼睁睁看着 -听我说
– I saw him. – Listen.
这对你来说很难
It’s too hard.
太难了
Too hard.
她只有10尺远
She’s just ten feet yonder.
我可不想丢了饭碗
I’d like to keep my job.
萨姆纳议员 好久不见
Senator Sumner, it has been much too long.
您真是美艳动人
Oh, who can look on that celestial face and…
-这位是…-詹姆斯·阿什利 女士
– And… – James Ashley, ma’am,
我们见过几次
We’ve met several times.
感谢上苍 感谢上苍
Praise Heavens, praise Heavens,
我还以为今晚会十分无趣呢
just when I had abandoned hope of amusement,
这不是众议院筹款委员会主席吗
It’s the Chairman of the House Ways and Means Committee!
林肯太太
Mrs. Lincoln.
请称呼我第♥一♥夫♥人♥
Madame President if you please.
千万别派下属委员会来调查我
Oh, don’t convene another subcommittee to investigate me, sir!
我开玩笑呢
I’m teasing!
笑一个 韦德议员
Smile, Senator Wade.
我这就是在笑呢 林肯太太
I believe I am smiling, Mrs. Lincoln.
只要您家的财务没什么问题 夫人
As long as your household accounts are in order, Madame,
我们就不需要调查它们
we’ll have no need to investigate them.
你一直都对我家的账本
You have always taken such a lively,
有着强烈的检察兴趣
even prosecutorial interest in my household accounts.
那是因为您家的账务让人感兴趣
Your household accounts have always been so interesting.
谢谢 这倒是真的
Yes, thank you, it’s true,
摆平农务和伙食的账务可真是奇迹
the miracles I have wrought out of fertilizer bills and cutlery invoices,
不过我必须做到
but I had to!
四年前 当我和总统到这里时
Four years ago, when the president and I arrived,
这里跟猪窝一样
this was pure pigsty.
土耳其地毯上尽是烟草污渍
Tobacco stains in the turkey carpets.
天花板上长着月光般泛绿的蘑菇
Mushrooms, green as the moon, sprouting from the ceilings!
还有少得可怜的维护预算
And a pauper’s pittance allotted for improvements.
似乎你们委员会同全华盛顿一起
As if your committee joined with all of Washington awaiting,
在这个你们期待成为我们舒适归宿的肮脏小窝里
in what you anticipated would be our comfort in squalor,
等着证明我们是来自草原的原始人
further proove that my husband and I were prairie primitives,
因人♥民♥选择的错误和民♥主♥制度的瑕疵
unsuited to the position to which an error of the people,
被推举到一个我们配不上的高位
a flaw in the democratic process, had elevated us.
过去就让它过去吧 新的一年到了
The past is the past, it’s a new year now,
听说我们相处得还不错
and we are all getting along, or so they tell me.
我们要同心协力
I gather we are working together!
白宫和其他机构
The White House and the other House,
共同出谋划策
hatching little plans together.
-母亲 -怎么了
– Mother? – What?
人都堵在这了
You’re creating a bottleneck.
我耽搁您太久了
Oh, I’m detaining you.
或者说 我耽搁您身后的人们太久了
And more importantly, the people behind you.
人♥民♥爱戴我的丈夫
How the people love my husband,
他们成群结队在公众日来看他
they flock to see him by their thousands on public days!
他们永远不会像爱他一样爱您
They will never love you the way they love him.
知道这些您一定很难受
How difficult it must be for you to know that.
但是记住这些也很重要
And yet how important to remember it.
明天的辩论中轮到我们发言
Since we have the floor next in the debate,
我建议你或许
I thought I’d suggest you might
缓和一下你的脾气
temper your contributions
免得吓到了保守派的朋友们
so as not to frighten our conservative friends?
阿什利说你在收买♥♥边缘的民♥主♥党人
Ashley insists you’re ensuring approval by dispensing patronage
来保证修正案通过
to otherwise undeserving Democrats.
如果你要用土地挪用
I can’t ensure a single damn thing
革命审判和惩罚
if you scare the whole House
吓唬整个议会的话
with talk of land appropriations,
我就什么都保证不了了
revolutionary tribunals, punitive…
等战争结束 我想争取完全的平等
When the war ends, I intend to push for full equality,
赋予黑人选举权 当然远不只如此
the Negro vote, and much more.
国会将收复每一寸叛军土地
Congress shall mandate the seizure of every foot of rebel land
和他们的所有财产
and every dollar of their property.
我们要用充公的财富
We’ll use their confiscated wealth
去建立成千上万黑人农民阶级
to establish hundreds of thousands of free Negro farmers,
和武装力量去占领和转换叛徒的遗产
and at their side soldiers armed to occupy and transform the heritage of traitors.
我们要建立一片
We’ll build up a land down there
属于自♥由♥的男女老少的自♥由♥之地
of free men and free women and free children and freedom.
国家要知道我们的计划
The nation needs to know that we have such plans.
这是未加修饰的战后重建计划
That’s the untempered version of reconstruction.
跟我想的不太一样
It’s not quite exactly what I intend,
我们早晚会反对彼此的政见
but we shall oppose one another in the course of time.
但现在我们在同一条战线 所以我请求你
Now we’re working together, and I’m asking you…
耐心点 对吧
for patience, I expect.
当人♥民♥意见不一致
When the people disagree,
就需要慢慢让他们
bringing them together requires going slow
能够达成一致
till they’re ready to make up.
去他的人♥民♥
Ah, shit on the people,
他们要什么 他们准备怎么样
and what they want, and what they’re ready for,
我才不管他们要什么
I don’t give a goddamn about the people and what they want!
这是一个长♥期♥为了人♥民♥的利益奋斗
This is the face of someone who has fought long and hard for the good of the people
却从不关心人♥民♥的人的面庞
without caring much for any of ’em.
我不带假发看起来更糟糕
And I look a lot worse without my wig.
人♥民♥选举了我 去代表他们
The people elected me! To represent them!
去领导他们 我成功领了他们 你应该试试
To lead them! And I lead! You ought to try it!
我欣赏你的热情 史蒂文斯先生
I admire your zeal, Mr. Stevens,
我也试过从中牟利
and I have tried to profit from the example of it.
如果听了你的 在萨穆特要塞战役
If I’ve listened to you, I’ve declared every slave free
打响时就宣布奴隶解放
the minute the first shell struck Fort Sumter.
那么边境州将投向叛军
Then the border states would’ve gone over to the confederacy,
我们将输掉战争 失去联盟
the war would’ve been lost and the Union along with it,
不仅不能像我们预期那样
and instead of abolishing slavery,
在两周内废除奴隶制
as we hope to do in two weeks,
我们将无助地看着
we’ll be watching helpless as infants as it spread
美国南部分♥裂♥出去
from the American South into South America.
你很渴望对我说这些吧
Oh God, how you have longed to say that to me.
你说你信任他们
You claim you trust them.
可你知道人♥民♥是什么样子
But you know what the people are.
在白人的心里本该引导他们的灵魂
You know that the inner compass
通往正义的罗盘
that should direct the soul toward justice
已经被邪恶的奴隶制
has ossified in white men and women, north and south, unto utter uselessness
僵化得毫无用处了
through tolerating the evil of slavery.
白人不能容忍♥
White people cannot bear the thought of sharing

你的评论可以尖锐,也可以湿疣!