第五区联邦收益估价员
Assessor for the Fifth District of Pennsylvania.
那么从今天起
So the total of representatives
代表投票总数减少到182票
voting three weeks from today is reduced to 182,
因此众议院所需的
which means 122 yes votes
三分之二就是122票赞成
to reach the requisite two thirds of the House.
假设有民♥主♥党人投票给修正案
Assuming all Republicans vote for the amendment.
那去除弃权票
Then, despite our abstention,
还差20票赞成才能达到三分之二
to reach a two-thirds majority we remain 20 yeses short.
我们要从6♥4♥名
For which we’re
即将卸任的民♥主♥党员官员争取来
seeking from among 6♥4♥ lame duck Democrats.
这其中有39人无法劝服
Fully 39 of these we deem unredeemable no votes.
他们憎恶黑人
The kind that hates niggers,
憎恨上帝创造了黑人
hates God for making niggers.
上天会对他们的灵魂失望的
The Good Lord on High would despair of their souls.
感谢你的简短解释 比尔博先生
Thank you for that pithy explanation, Mr. Bilbo.
我们已经抛弃这39名被邪恶附身的灵魂
We’ve abandoned these 39 to the Devil that possesses them.
我们一直在动员
The remaining lame ducks,
其他即将卸职的官员
on whom we’ve been working with a purpose.
查尔斯·汉森
Charles Hanson.
盖尔斯·斯图亚特
Giles Stuart.
尼尔森·米瑞克
Nelson Merrick.
荷马·班森
Homer Benson.
最后还有
And lastly…
俄亥俄的克莱·霍金斯
Clay Hawkins. Of Ohio.
他是西部保留地的收税员
T-tax collector for the Western Reserve, it…
收入颇丰
Th-that pays handsomely.
不要只盯着高层
Don’t just reach for the highest branches,
他们是墙头草
they sway in every breeze.
要我看 马尔斯顿的助理港口稽查员 有戏
Assistant Port Inspector of Marlston looks like the ticket to me.
船让我恶心
Uh, boats, they-they make me sick.
那就站在码头上
So just stand on the dock.
让助理港口稽查员饿饿肚子
Let the Assistant Assistant Port Inspector’s stomach go weak.
最后 民♥主♥党员第六张赞成票 俄亥俄的霍金斯
And lastly, Democratic yes vote number six. Hawkins from Ohio.
-六票 -目前是
– Six. – Well, thus far.
加上格瑞勒的弃权票
Plus Graylor’s abstention.
-积少成多 -霍金斯得了什么位子
– From tiny acorns and so on. – What’d Hawkins get?
米勒斯堡邮♥政♥局♥的所长
Postmaster of the Millersburg Post Office.
他还挺好收买♥♥的 是吧
He’s selling himself cheap, ain’t he?
没错 一个初当议员 搞不定改选的人
Aye, he wanted tax collector of the Western Reserve,
想当西部保留地的收税员
a first-term congressman who couldn’t manage reelection,
我觉得不合适 他们把价压到所长
I felt it unseemly and they bargained him down to Postmaster.
把任命分散进行
Scatter ’em over several
以免引人注意
rounds of appointments, so no one notices,
事成后请烧掉账目
and burn this ledger, please, after you’re done.
到了我的共和观点受洗之时了
Time for my public opinion bath.
不然让他们也加入吧
Might as well let ’em in.
埃利斯先生的7票 还差13票
Seven yeses with Mr. Ellis. Thirteen to go.
最后一项 一个荒谬但…
One last item, an absurdity, but…
我的伙伴说代表中
My associates report that among the Representatives,
流传着一个奇异的传闻
a fantastical rumor’s bruited about,
你让老眼昏花的普雷斯顿·布莱尔
which I immediately disavowed,
去里士满邀请杰夫·戴维斯
that you’d allowed bleary
派行政长官
old Preston Blair to sojourn to Richmond
到华盛顿来和平谈判
to invite Jeff Davis to send
我即刻否认了
commissioners up to Washington with a peace plan.
我自然跟他们说你绝不会那么做
I, of course, told them you would never..
没询问我 你不会那么做的
Not without consulting me, you wouldn’t…
因为你又究竟为何那么做呢
Because why on earth would you?
不胜感激
Much obliged.
你为何不咨♥询♥我的意见 我可是国务卿
Why wasn’t I consulted?! I’m Secretary of State!
你非正式地派出一个反♥动♥的老糊涂过去
You… You-you informally send a reactionary dottard to…
等特使团抵达后
What will happen, do you imagine,
你想象过会如何吗
when these peace commissioners arrive?
-我们会听听他们的要求 -太妙了
– We’ll hear ’em out. – Oh, splendid!
然后民♥主♥党员
And next the Democrats
会请他们
will invite ’em up to hearings on the Hill,
和新闻媒体到国会山参加听证会
and the newspapers, well, the newspapers
媒体还会询问
the newspapers will ask
“既然他们是来求和的 为何在奴隶制的问题上
“why risk enraging the Confederacy over the issue of slavery
冒激怒南部邦联的险”
when they’re here to make peace?”
不止保守派共和党人会加入他们
We’ll lose every Democrat we’ve got,
我们还会失去已有民♥主♥党员的支持
more than likely conservative
而我们所有的努力
Republicans will join ’em, and all our work,
一切赢得投票的基础
all our preparing the ground for the vote,
至此烟消云散
laid waste, for naught.
如果我们听取这些人的话
The Blairs have promised support
布莱尔家族答应会支持修正案
for the amendment if we listen to these people.
布莱尔家族答应了吗
Oh, the Blairs promise, do they?
那些代表的要求
You think they’ll keep their
一定是保留奴隶制
promise once we have heard these delegates
而你还指望
and refused them? Which we will have to do,
我们拒绝这些代表的要求后
since their proposal most
他们还信守承诺吗
certainly will be predicated on keeping their slaves!
如果走漏了风声说我拒绝停战
What hope for any Democratic votes, William,
那民♥主♥党的选票会怎么样 威廉
if word gets out that I’ve refused a chance to end the war?
你认为世上有不透风的墙吗 华盛顿会有吗
You think word won’t get out? In Washington?
要么通过这个修正案 要么停战
It’s either the amendment or this Confederate peace,
鱼和熊掌不可兼得
you cannot have both.
你若能窥视时间的种子
“If you can look into the seeds of time,
能预知哪一颗能长出金黄的稻麦
“and say which grain will grow and which will not,
那么对我说
“speak then to me…”
灾难 这真是场灾难
Oh, disaster. This is a disaster!
时间会说明一切的 威廉
Time is a great thickener of things, William.
是啊 我也觉得
Yes, I suppose it is.
我都不知道你说这些干什么
Actually I have no idea what you mean by that.
给我弄13张赞成票
Get me thirteen votes.
里士满的家伙还没到呢
Them fellers from Richmond ain’t here yet.
你在波士顿征了一半的人当兵
You drafted half the men in Boston!
他们的家人会怎么看待我
What do you think their families think about me?
他们没有对我扔东西吐口水
The only reason they don’t throw things and spit on me
只是因为你受人爱戴
is ’cause you’re so popular.
我无法专心学习英国商业法
I can’t concentrate on British mercantile law,
我不关心什么英国商业法
I don’t care about British mercantile law.
我都不想成为律师
I might not even want to be a lawyer.
这是个铁饭碗
It’s a sturdy profession,
还能让你成为有用之人
and a useful one.
我现在就想成为有用的人 不是等以后
Yes, and I want to be useful, but now, not afterwards!
我可不戴这个 斯莱德先生
I ain’t wearing them things, Mr. Slade,
他们从来不搭
they never fit right.
太太想让你戴上它们 别想丢下它
The Mrs. will have you wear ’em. Don’t think about leaving ’em.
你在推脱 这是你最喜欢的手段
You’re delaying, that’s your favorite tactic.
你嘴上不说
You won’t tell me no,
但是战争一个月内就会结束 你知道的
but the war will be over in a month, and you know it will!
我觉得预言本身
I’ve found that prophesying
往往就是最难被预言的事情
is one of life’s less prophet-able occupations.
为什么有的黑奴比其他的贵
Why do some slaves cost more than others?
那些还年轻健康的
Ah, if they’re still young and healthy,
或者能怀孕的女人 就贵一些
if the women can still conceive, they’ll pay more.
把它放回盒子里去 小坏蛋
Put ’em back in the box, you scoundrel.
我们后天要还到
We’ll return them to
加德纳先生的工作室去
Mr. Gardner’s studio day after next.
小心一点
Be careful with ’em, now.
这手套就不该造出来
These things should’ve stayed on the calf.
斯莱德先生 您还是奴隶时
When you were a slave, Mr. Slade,
有人打你吗
did they beat you?
我生下来就是自♥由♥人
I was born a free man.
有人打我我会立刻还手的
Nobody beat me except I beat them right back.
林肯先生 你能跟我来吗
Mr. Lincoln, could you come with me…
凯克莉女士曾是奴隶
Mrs. Keckley was a slave.
问问她被打过吗
Ask her if she was beaten.