如果说我从他身上学到了什么的话
if little else from him.
我们从未关心过对方 伊曼先生
We didn’t care for one another, Mr. Yeaman.
-听到这些 我很难过 -爱与仁慈
– Well, I’m sorry to hear that.- Loving kindness,
这些生活中无处不在的东西
that most ordinary… thing came to me
总让我心怀感激
from other sources.. I’m grateful for that.
我 我也厌恶它 先生
I… I hate it, too, sir…
我恨奴隶制 但是
slavery, but…
但是我们还没有为解放做好准备
but we’re entirely unready for emancipation.
-还有太多的问题 -我们也没有为和平做好准备 不是吗
– There’s too many questions… – We’re unready for peace too, ain’t we?
当和平到来的时候
Yeah, when it comes,
我们会遇到各种棘手的难题
it’ll present us with conundrums and
甚于战争的危险
dangers greater than any we’ve faced during the war,
甚至是同战争时一样多的鲜血
bloody as it’s been.
我们需要根据实际情况来尝试及调整
We’ll have to extemporize and experiment with
才能找到最佳的方法和时机
what it is, when it is.
我读了你的演讲稿 乔治
I read your speech, George.
黑人和选举权 真是个难题
Negroes and the vote, that’s a puzzle.
不 不 但是
No, no, but-but-but
但黑人不能 有权投票 林肯先生
but Negroes can’t… um… vote, Mr. Lincoln.
您不会是想赋予有色人种选举权吧
You’re not suggesting we enfranchise colored people.
我只是在请求你将自己
I’m asking only that you
从奴隶主势力中解放出来
disenthrall yourself from the slave powers.
我如果收到和平请♥愿♥的话会一定会告诉你
I’ll let you know when there’s an offer on my desk for surrender.
但现在没有
There’s none before us now.
现在摆在我们面前的
What’s before us now,
是第13号♥修正案的投票
that’s the vote on the Thirteenth Amendment.
票数会咬得很紧
It’s going to be so very close.
看看你能做点什么
You see what you can do.
我无法理解 他为何因此而死
I can’t make sense of it, what he died for.
林肯先生 我恨他们所有人
Mr. Lincoln, I hate them all.
我恨所有黑人
I do, all black people.
我的确心存偏见
I am a prejudiced man.
我愿意改变你的偏见 但我来不是为了这个
I’d change that in you if I could, but that’s not why I come.
我可能搞错了 哈顿先生
I might be wrong, Mr. Hutton,
但有色人种很可能会得到自♥由♥
but I expect colored people will most likely be free.
那时候你就会明白 是你弟弟的英勇
And when that’s so, it’s simple truth that your brother’s
和他的牺牲 促成了这一切
bravery, and his death, helped make it so.
只有你能决定这样是不是有意义
Only you can decide whether that’s sense enough for you, or not.
我对你的家人致以最深切的哀悼
My deepest sympathies to your family.
我们的人做得非常漂亮
We’ve managed our members to a fare-thee-well.
右翼共和党
You’ve had no defections
没有出现反对声音
from the Republican right to trouble you.
但你的保证呢
Whereas as to what you promised…
特使团都他妈的在哪呢
where the hell are the commissioners?!
天啊 原来是真的
Oh my God… It’s true!
您 您骗了我 林肯先生
You… you lied to me, Mr. Lincoln!
您不让我否认
You evaded my requests for a
邦联提出求和的传言
denial that-that there is a Confederate peace offer
因为确有此事
because… because there is one!
我们绝对全盘皆输
We are absolutely guaranteed to lose the whole thing!
我们不需要什么该死的废奴修正案
We don’t need a goddamned abolition amendment.
-别揪着宪法不放了 -假如 假如
– Leave the Constitution alone! – What if, what if
特使团今天出现了 或者
these peace commissioners appear today, or…
或者更糟 一大早
or worse, on the morning…
你可以一个州一个周的根除
State by state you can extirpate…
我听不下去了
I can’t listen to this anymore.
在我们把自己从奴隶制里解救出来之前
I can’t accomplish a goddamned thing of any human meaning
在这场乌烟瘴气的战争结束之前
or worth until we cure ourselves of slavery,
我无法做任何对人类有价值的事情
and end this pestilential war,
不管你们或其他人是否了解
and whether any of you or anyone else knows it,
我知道我需要它
I know I need this!
这份修正案就是解救我的良药
This amendment is that cure!
现在我们走上了世界舞台 现在
We’re stepped out upon the world’s stage now, NOW!
人类尊严的命运掌握在我们手中
With the fate of human dignity in our hands!
多少鲜血才成就了今时今刻
Blood’s been spilt to afford us this moment!
现在 现在 现在
Now now now!
可你们就知道抱怨 质问 逃避
But you grousle and heckle and dodge about
跟一群无知的坦幕尼小丑一样
like pettifogging Tammany Hall hucksters!
看看摆在你们面前的是什么
See what is before you!
睁眼看看现实 这才是最大的困难
See the here and now! That’s the hardest thing,
也是唯一有意义的事情
the only thing that accounts!
通过宪法条款废除奴隶制
Abolishing slavery by constitutional provision
是一劳永逸的解决方法
settles the fate, for all coming time,
不仅解放了现今的数百万奴隶
not only of the millions now in bondage
也改变了无数子孙后代的命运
but of unborn millions to come.
再有两张选票就能实现
Two votes stand in its way,
这两张票势在必得
and these votes must be procured!
再有2张赞成票加3张弃权票 或者
We need two yeses, three abstentions, or
4张赞成加1张弃权 修正案就通过了
four yeses and one more abstention and the amendment will pass.
还有一天两夜
You got a night and a day and a night
加好几个小时的时间
and several perfectly good hours,
现在就出去拉选票
now get the hell out of here and get ’em!
好 但怎么做
Yes. But how?
拿出鹫鷹的勇气来 小子
Buzzards’ guts, man.
我是美♥利♥坚♥合众国的总统
I am the President of the United States of America,
身披无上权力
clothed in immense power!
你们去给我把选票弄到手
You will procure me these votes.
投票当天早上 1865年1月31日
女士们先生们 欢迎来到众议院
We welcome you, ladies and gentlemen,
这对于本间民众议会厅来说是史无先例的
first in the history of this people’s chamber, to your House!
阿什利先生 有请你来发言
Mr. Ashley, the floor is yours.
今天我们将对面前的这份联合决议投票
On the matter of the joint resolution before us,
本决议称为宪法第13号♥修正案
presenting a Thirteenth Amendment to our national Constitution,
已于去年获得参议院决议通过
which was passed last year by the Senate,
过去的几周里
and which has been debated now
在座的各位也对此进行了激烈辩论
by this estimable body for the past several weeks,
今天是投票的时刻
today we will vote.
经双方协定 我们将做简短的最终陈述
By mutual agreement, we shall hear brief final statements,
由俄亥俄州的乔治·彭德尔顿阁下开始
beginning with the honorable George Pendleton of Ohio.
我刚刚
I’ve just received
证实了
confirmation
之前的某个传言
of what previously has been merely rumored!
和平宣誓书
Affidavits!
忠诚的民众从里士满将它带回
From loyal citizens recently returned from Richmond.
他们证实了特使团的确已经北上
They testify that Commissioners have indeed come north
现在应该已经到达华盛顿了
and ought to have arrived by now in Washington City,
使者们此行旨在立即停止内战
bearing an offer of immediate cessation of our civil war!
是真的吗 先生
Is it true, sir?
国会大厦里有邦联使者在吗
Are there Confederate commissioners in the Capitol?
我 我不知道他们在哪 到没到
I don’t… I have no idea where they are or if they’ve arrived.
到没到
If they’ve arrived?!
我呼吁所有民♥主♥党同伴
I appeal to my fellow Democrats,
以及热爱和平的共和党代表
to all Republican representatives who give a fig for peace!
推迟本次投票
Postpone this vote
直到总统本人给我们一个解释为止
until we have answers from the President himself!
推迟投票 推迟投票
Postpone the vote! Postpone the vote!
推迟投票 推迟投票
Postpone the vote! Postpone the vote!
推迟投票 推迟投票
Postpone the vote! Postpone the vote!
先生们
Gentlemen!
我有个提议
I have made a motion!
有人愿意支持我的提议吗
Does anyone here care to second my motion?
推迟投票 推迟投票
Postpone the vote! Postpone the vote!
先生们
Gentlemen.
如果和平提议成为通过修正案的交换条件
The conservative faction of border and western Republicans
那么边境保守派和西部共和党
cannot approve this amendment,
就无法认可这份
about which we harbor grave doubts,
让我们存有重大疑问的修正案
if a peace offer is being held hostage to its success.
我决定加入民♥主♥党阵营
Joining together with our Democratic colleagues,
支持推迟投票
I second the motion to postpone.
快点 老兄 快点
Quick, man! Quick!
伍德先生想让我对”这一点”作出回应吗