居无定所 食不果腹 贫穷却又勤劳
forked creatures such as we all are.
你们有权利期待我所期待的一切
You have a right to expect what I expect,
我们也应能理解彼此的期盼
and likely our expectations are not incomprehensible to each other.
我知道我能习惯你们
I assume I’ll get used to you.
但是你们对于这个国家意味着什么
But what you are to the nation,
你们被解放后的未来 我并不知道会怎样
what’ll become of you once slavery’s day is done, I don’t know.
我不知道我的同胞是怎么想的
What my people are to be, I can’t say.
我从未听说有人过问自♥由♥会带来什么
I never heard any ask what freedom will bring.
因为首先要得到自♥由♥
Freedom’s a first.
至于我
As for me…
我的儿子身穿联军的蓝色制♥服♥
My son died, fighting for the Union…
为联军战死沙场
wearing the Union blue.
为了自♥由♥而牺牲
For freedom he died.
我是他的母亲
I’m his mother.
这就是我对国家的意义 林肯先生
That’s what I am to the nation, Mr. Lincoln.
仅此而已
What else must I be?
不要多久我就能凑手好牌
My whole hand’s gonna be proud in about five seconds.
-是吗 那我倒要看看 -让你看看我的牌
– Oh, it is? What you got goin’? – Let’s see how proud you gonna be.
-干什么 -走开
– Yeah? – Go away!
-那个表链是金的吗 -别盯着我的表带
– That watch fob, is that gold? – You keep your eyes off my fob!
-先生们 -对9
– Gentlemen… – Nines paired!
-有客人来了 -去你的
– you have a visitor. – Oh my God damn!
好吧 这下完蛋了
Well, I’ll be fucked.
我也是这么想的 您是
I wouldn’t bet against it, Mr…?
-比尔博 -比尔博先生
– W.N. Bilbo. – Yeah, Mr. Bilbo.
-先生们 -先生
– Gentlemen. – Sir…
您怎么在这里 我无意冒犯
Why are you here? No offense, but Mr. Seward’s
但苏厄德先生不允许我们提起您的名字
banished the very mention of your name,
他甚至不允许我们用5美元的钞票
he won’t even let us use fifty-cent pieces
因为上面印有您的头像
’cause they got your face on ’em.
国务卿告诉我
The Secretary of State here tells me that, uh,
你们从民♥主♥党那里争取到11张选票 真不错
you got eleven Democrats in the bag, that’s encouraging.
您不会为了11张选票而高兴的
Oh, you’ve got no cause to be encouraged,
先生
Sir. Uh…
我们被解雇了吗
Are we being… fired?
我们可都听到午夜的钟声了 夏禄先生
“We have heard the chimes of midnight, Master Shallow.”
我来这是为了告诉你们 胜利的钟声就要敲响
I’m here to alert you boys that the great day of reckoning is nigh upon us.
我们还没有把民♥主♥党的票收入囊中呢
The Democrats we’ve yet to bag, sir.
利诱还远远不够
The patronage jobs simply won’t bag ’em.
他们想要 更有说服力的东西 总统先生
They require more… convincing, Mr. President.
帮我个忙 好吗
Do me a favor, will ya?
当然
Sure.
我今早看了下报纸
I snagged my eye in the paper this morning,
看到科廷州长计划公布
and Governor Curtin is set to declare a winner in the
在饱受争议的国会选举中的胜出者
disputed Congressional election for the…
是宾夕法尼亚第16区的
Pennsylvania 16th District.
没错 很高兴有人能跟上我的思路
District. What a joy to be comprehended.
那位议员打算亲自去拜访科廷州长
Hop on a train to Philadell, call on the Governor…
让莱瑟姆或者谢尔去一趟
Send Latham. Or Schell.
不 他能做好的 好好磨练一番总是能行的
No, he’ll do fine, just… polish yourself up first.
他可是州长钦定的
The incumbent is claiming he won it.
-名字是 -科夫罗斯
– Name of, uh… – Coffroth.
-没错 就是他 -科夫罗斯
– That’s him. – Coffroth.
-他是个民♥主♥党 -我知道
– He is a Democrat. – I understand that.
-这名字真傻 -的确有点
– Silly name. – A little bit silly.
告诉科廷州长
Huh, Tell Governor Curtin it’d be much appreciated
如果他能亲自来众议院一趟 就再好不过了
if he’d invite the House of Representatives to decide who won.
他有权这么做 也会这么做
He’s entitled to do that. He’ll agree to it.
然后转告那个科夫罗斯 如果他想保住席位
Then advise Coffroth, if he hopes to retain his seat,
他最好拜访一下塞德斯·史蒂文斯
that he’d better pay a visit to Thaddeus Stevens.
可怜的科夫罗斯
Oh, pity poor Coffroth!
门没锁
It opens!
你就是科夫雷
You are Canfrey?
是科夫罗斯 史蒂文斯先生
Coffroth, Mr. Stevens,
亚历山大·科夫罗斯
Alexander Coffroth, I’m…
我们是同一个州代表的吗
Are we representatives of the same state?
是 是的先生 我们中间只隔了3个位子
Y-yes sir, We sit only three desks apart.
我没见过你
I haven’t noticed you. I’m…
我是共和党的 你 科夫罗普 是民♥主♥党的
a Republican, and you, Coughdrop, are a Democrat?
那个
Well…
我是说
Um, that is to say, I…
你只不过让自己还无主见地附和
The modern travesty of Thomas Jefferson’s political organization
扭曲托马斯·杰斐逊政♥治♥纲领的团体
to which you have attached yourself like a barnacle
还好意思叫自己民♥主♥党人
has the effrontery to call itself The Democratic Party.
你不过是个民♥主♥党跟屁虫
You are a Dem-O-crat [Damn-Oh-crap].
你打算干什么 玩我吗
What’s the matter with you? Are you wicked?
那个 我觉得 事实上
Well, I felt, um, formerly, I…
不要紧 科夫斯♥诺♥
Never mind, Coffsnot,
你刚刚在11月的选举里被强有力的竞争对手
you were ignominiously trounced at the hustings
一个共和党人打得毫无还手之力
in November’s election by your worthy challenger, a Republican.
不 先生 我没有 被打败
No, sir, I was not, um, trounced!
他想窃取我的席位 我没有输掉选举
Uh, he wants to steal my seat! I didn’t lose the election…
你输没输有什么区别
What difference does it make if you lost or not,
你们的州长 也是个 是个民♥主♥党人吗
the governor of our state, is… A Democrat?
不 他是
No, he’s a…
那个 他是
A, um, a Ruh…
共
Re.
共
Re.
-和 -和
– Pub. – Pub.
-党 -党
– Li. – Li.
-人 -人 共和党人
– Can. – Can. Republican.
我知道他是哪派的 我刚刚说的是个反问句
I know what he is. This is a rhetorical exercise.
那国会是被哪个党派控制的 你的吗
And Congress is controlled by what party? Yours?
你的党派被打败了
Your party was beaten,
你的敌对党现在接手了议会
your challenger’s party now controls the House,
之后还会接手内务委员会
and hence the House Committee on Elections,
所以你们彻底败了
so you have been beaten.
你们马上就要卷铺盖走人 除非…
You shall shortly be sent home in disgrace. Unless…
我知道我要做什么 先生
I know what I must do, sir,
我会立刻加入共和党 投赞成票给
I will immediately become a Republican and vote yes for…
不
NO!
科夫罗斯 会投赞成票
Coffroth… will vote yes,
但是科夫罗斯会保持民♥主♥党的身份 直到投票结束
but Coffroth will remain a Democrat until after he does so.
为什么要等 我不介意现在就换
Why wait to switch? I’m happy to switch…
我们想让修正案看起来是两党共同支持的 蠢货
We want to show the amendment has bipartisan support, you idiot.
等下次的议会 我让你转党派 你再换
Early in the next Congress, when I tell you to do so, you will switch parties.
现在祝贺你选举成功 你可以出去了
Now congratulations on your victory, and get out.
现在 把剩下目标的名单给我
Now… give me the names of whoever else you been hunting.
-乔治·伊曼 -没错 伊曼
– George Yeaman. – Yes. Yeaman.
在这些人当中
Among others.
伊曼可能有戏
But Yeaman, that’d count.
-Y-E-A-M-A-N -我知道了
– Y-E-A-M-A-N. – I got it.
我不能给修正案投赞成票
I can’t vote for the amendment, Mr. Lincoln.
伊曼先生 我曾经见过一艘驳船
I saw a barge once, Mr. Yeaman,
里面全是被锁上的黑人
filled with colored men in chains,
沿密西西比河顺流而下
heading down the Mississippi
前往新奥尔良的奴隶市场
to the New Orleans slave markets.
它令我作呕
It sickened me.
不仅如此 它还给我留下♥阴♥影
And more than that, it brought a shadow down,
无法磨灭的阴影
a pall around my eyes.
从我记事起 奴隶制就一直困扰我
Slavery troubled me as long as I can remember
远远超过它对我父亲的困扰
in a way it never troubled my father,
尽管我父亲用自己的方式憎恨奴隶制
though he hated it, in his own fashion.
他知道拥有小块土地的农夫
He knew no small holding dirt farmer
无法与拥有奴隶种植园的奴隶主匹敌
could compete with slave plantations.
他带我们离开肯塔基州
He took us out from Kentucky…
离开那些人 他希望在印第安纳州保持中立
to get away from ‘em. He wanted Indiana kept free.
他不是个仁慈的人
He wasn’t a kind man,
但是发自内心对公正最原始的渴求 驱使他追求自♥由♥
but there was a rough moral urge for fairness, for freedom in him.
我想这是我从他身上学到的东西
I learnt that from him, I suppose,