For my family.
我们的动物在外国值钱多了
Our animals are worth far more abroad than here in India.
要是市议会停止补助
And if the town council stops supporting us…
我们该何去何从
I don’t know where we will be.
所以非这么做不可
So, it is what we have to do.
你懂了吗
Do you understand?
对不起 我们在谈什么
I’m sorry, what are we talking about?
我们要离开印度
We are leaving India.
什么
What?
我们要卖♥♥掉动物园
We are selling the zoo.
也轮不到我们卖♥♥ 地是市政♥府♥的
The zoo was never ours to sell. The land belongs to the town.
但动物是我们的 要是卖♥♥掉
But the animals are ours and if we sell them…
就有钱展开新生活
we will have enough to start a new life.
但要去哪里 我们的生活圈在这里
But where would we go? Our life is here, Appa.
加拿大
Canada.
温尼伯有几个工作机会
I have some opportunities for work in Winnipeg.
我要把大部分动物运到北美去卖♥♥
I’ll be shipping most of the animals for sale in North America.
我们全家都能拿到货轮船票
We can get freighter passage for the whole family.
所以
So…
都安排好了
It is settled.
我们会像哥伦布航行大海
We will sail like Columbus.
但哥伦布是在找印度啊
But Columbus was looking for India.
卖♥♥动物园可是大工程
It takes a lot of work to sell a zoo.
在离开之前…
Before we left…
阿南蒂和我有足够的时间来伤心
Anandi and I had time enough to break each other’s hearts.
我当然保证我总有一天会回来
Of course, I promised I would come back one day.
说也奇怪
It’s funny.
最后一天的事我全都记得
I remember everything else about our last day.
就是不记得道别的部分
But I don’t remember saying goodbye.
派 下面在上晚餐了
Pi? They’re serving dinner below.
便辛
Piscine…
你面前的是大好人生
you have a whole life ahead of you.
我们是为了你和拉维
We are doing this for you and Ravi.
进来吃一点东西吧
Come inside and have some dinner.
请给我素食
Vegetarian, please.
我们母子吃素 有没有…
Oh, my sons and I are vegetarians. Do you have anything…
不 不要淋肉汁
No, no, no. Not more gravy.
– 你不要肉汁 – 不要
– You don’t want gravy? – No.
我要素食
No, I want something vegetarian.
没问题
Pas de problème.
她是问你有没有素食
She asked if you have something vegetarian.
长这副肝的牛吃素
The cow that produced this liver was vegetarian,
这条腊肠里的猪也吃素
the pigs that went into these sausages were vegetarian.
很幽默
Very funny.
但是她不吃牛肝
But my wife doesn’t eat liver.
没问题
Pas de problème.
那她可以吃腊肠 肉汁拌饭
Then she can eat the sausage, the rice, and the gravy.
或是自己煮
Or you can cook your own food.
你竟敢对我老婆无礼
Haw dare you talk to my wife like that?
饭拿去
Here’s your rice.
我是给水手煮饭
I cook for sailors…
不是给咖哩人煮
not curry-eaters.
你说什么
What did you say?
放开我
Let go of me!
你当你是谁?你只是个下人
Who do you think you are? You’re nothing but a servant!
我喂人 你喂猴子
I feed people! You feed monkeys!
你们好
Hello.
我是随喜的佛教♥徒♥
I am happy Buddhist.
所以我吃饭配肉汁
So, I eat rice next to gravy.
在船上 肉汁不算肉
On ship, gravy is not meat.
算味道
Is taste.
你试试
You try?
别担心
Don’t worry.
在马尼拉靠岸后就会有新鲜补给品
We will have plenty of fresh supplies after we stop in Manila.
为什么喂橙汁吃镇静剂
Why give Orange Juice tranquilizers?
它又不会惹麻烦
She’s not going to cause any trouble.
旅行的压力对动物不好
The stress of traveling is not good for the animals…
吃了药也不容易晕船
and it helps with the seasickness.
我们可不想替晕船的猩猩清理秽物
We don’t want to be cleaning up after a seasick orangutan…
对吧
do we?
我父亲是个生意人
My father was a businessman.
从未亲自过照料动物
He had never tended the animals himself.
我这才明白…
I realized…
他离开印度一定比我还辛苦
leaving India must have been harder for him than it was for me.
所以…
So…
我有漏掉什么吗
Have I forgotten anything?
你把背景都介绍了
I think you’ve set the stage.
有个与法国泳池同名的印度男孩
So far, we have an Indian boy named after a French swimming pool…
在载满动物的日本船上航向加拿大
on a Japanese ship full of animals, heading to Canada.
没错
Yes.
现在我们得把男孩送到太平洋
Now, we have to send our boy into the middle of the Pacific and…
然后让我相信上帝
And make me believe in God.
是啊
Yeah.
会到那儿的
We’ll get there.
从马尼拉出发的第四天
It was four days out of Manila…
在地球最深的马里亚纳海沟上
above the Mariana Trench, the deepest spot on Earth.
我们乘坐的奇桑号♥向前推进
Our ship, The Tsimtsum, pushed on,
对周遭的环境视而不见
bullishly indifferent to its surroundings.
它有如大♥陆♥ 缓慢而自信地移♥动♥着
It moved with the slow, massive confidence of a continent.
拉维
Ravi?
拉维你听见了吗
Did you hear that, Ravi?
我在睡觉
I’m sleeping.
有暴风雨 我们去看看
It’s a thunderstorm. Let’s go watch.
你疯啦
Are you crazy?
我们会被闪电劈到
We will get hit by lightning.
不会啦 闪电会先打到桅杆
No, we won’t. It will hit the bridge first.
别跟风雨过不去
Don’t tempt a storm, Pi.
雨再大一点!再大一点!
More rain! More rain!
暴风雨之神啊
Lord of Storms!
闪电啊
Lightning!
妈!
Amma!
爸!
Appa!
拉维
Ravi!
快出来
Get out! Get out!
救命啊
Help me!
救命
Help!
快到小船上来
Get in the boat!
拜托救救我的家人
Please! Save my family!
不要怕 待在这儿
Don’t scare, okay? Wait, stay here!
你得救他们 拜托
You have to help them! Please!
穿上去
Put this on.
不 我的家人 拜托
No, no, my family! Please!
我们得救他们
We have to help them!
– 没时间了 – 我的家人在里面
– We don’t have time. – My family’s back there!
我们救 你快走
We help! You must go!
是谁放了动物
Who let all the animals out?
你快走
You have to go now!
慢着!我爸不会游泳
No, wait, my father! He can’t swim!
快走
Go!
抓住船 抓好
Hang on to the boat! Hold, hold!
把船放下来
Bring it down!
喂 你干什么
Hey! You! What are you doing?
快跳
Jump!
喂!喂
Hey, hey!
喂!这边!这边
Hey! Over here! Over here!
理查德?帕克
Richard Parker?
不要 不要
No! No!
走开 走开
No! Go away! Go away!
妈!
Amma!
爸 拉维
Appa! Ravi.
对不起