Yeah, all that.
我觉得自己言之过早
I think I may have spoken too soon.
我还有余热没有发挥出来
I think… I think I still got a little gas in the tank is all.
我
I just…
在这所大学 我是你最忠实的粉丝
Well, Peter, you have no bigger fan around here than me.
谢谢
Thank you.
当你想要退休时 我们都为你惋惜
When you announced your plans, we were all sad to see you go,
但你退意坚决
but you insisted that it was time.
对 当时是挺坚决
Right, which I thought it was.
我们又请了一位新老师
We hired someone,
毕业于弗吉尼亚大学的年轻教师
young guy out of UVA.
非常优秀
Very impressive candidate.
说真的 他是我们的首选
He was our first choice, actually.
本以为他会拒绝我们 但他没有
We didn’t think we would get him, but we did.
你说你不参与招新老师
You said you wanted nothing to do with the search.
当时是这样
Right, right. No, I…
但是
I just…
没想到事情变化这么快
I just didn’t think it would move so fast.
大家都非常欢迎这位新老师
Well, there was unanimous enthusiasm for the candidate,
所以事情很快就定下来了
so things just moved along faster than normal.
鲍勃
Bob.
再给我一次机会吧
Give me this one,
彼得 不行
Peter, we can’t.
为了聘请他
The department has spent thousands of dollars
我们花了好几千块
on this search.
他也拒绝了其他工作机会
He’s turned down other offers.
你应该很清楚这种事的
You know what goes into this sort of thing.
当年是我聘用了你
I hired you, Bob.
不用你教育我
You don’t have to tell me how this work.
我来告诉你
And let me tell you,
当年根本没人欢迎你
there was not unanimous enthusiasm for you back then.
为了让别人接受你
It took a lot of arm-twisting on my part
我费了好大劲
to get people to come around.
20年后的今天 你能坐上系主任的位子
And now, 20 years later, the only reason
惟一的原因就是
that you’re the chairman of this goddamn department
我不喜欢耍花招
is ’cause I loathe politics!
但是 你却得益于搞阴谋
And you, for reasons which I cannot fathom, do not.
对搞阴谋 你乐此不疲
In fact, you seem to have a real taste for it.
我请求
I’m asking…
请成全我
I’m asking a favor.
只成全我这一次就行 好不好
Listen. Just give me this one, Bob, okay?
再给我三年时间
I need three more years.
很抱歉
I’m sorry.
我无能为力
There’s nothing I can do.
杰西 还记得瓦内萨吗
Jesse, you remember Vanessa, right?
你回来了
You’re back.
是啊
Yeah.
我
So I should…
我有点事儿
uh, yeah, I got some stuff to do.
这是你的房♥间吧
So this is your room.
不错吧
Yeah. Fancy, huh?
不错
Yeah.
都忘了宿舍有多小了
Forgot how small these are.
到以后搬到纽约也不会觉得不适应了
Good training for living in New York.
你打算去见一下霍贝格教授吗
So are you gonna see Professor Hoberg while you’re here?
不去了
You know, probably not
你见了他也别提我
and, you know, if you… if you run into him,
别说我来这找你
maybe don’t mention that I’m here.
行
Ok.
你要坐下聊吗
Do you want to sit?
好的 当然 当然
Yeah. Yeah, yeah, yeah.
我想告诉你
So I should tell you,
我来这感觉有点怪
I feel a little weird about being here.
为什么 别这么想
Why? Don’t.
不知你是否知道
I don’t know if you know this,
我比你大几岁
but, I’m a few years older than you.
真的吗
You are?
也没大多少岁
Just a few, yeah,
我不是想欲盖弥彰
and I’m not necessarily saying…
只是不想进展太快
I don’t want to get ahead of myself here.
只不过是
It’s just…
等等 你不会是
Wait. Are you…
你不会觉得我要对你示爱吧
Did you think this was, like, a romantic thing?
我开玩笑的
Just kidding.
我的天啊
Oh,my…
坐这里来
Come here.
你别想太多 好吗
Try not to overthink things, okay?
我没有别的想法
You’re talking to the wrong guy.
听我说
Look,
我们很投缘 是吧
we connect really well, don’t you think?
没错
We do, yeah.
我只是想不明白 是因为你太新潮
I just can’t figure out if it’s because you’re advanced
还是因为我太迟钝
or because I’m stunted.
因为我太新潮
It’s because I’m advanced.
也许吧
Maybe.
但我也有点迟钝
But I’m also a little stunted.
我想要慢慢来 好吗
Look, I want to take things slowly, okay?
好的
Yeah, okay.
我也是这么想的
Me too. Me too.
但我想亲吻你
But I would like to kiss you
亲额头
on your forehead.
我能亲亲你的额头吗
Can I kiss you on your forehead?
说 好
Say yes.
好
Yes.
还有你的下巴
And your chin.
能亲亲你的下巴吗
May I kiss your chin?
抱歉 抱歉
Sorry. Hi, sorry.
我忘拿东西了
Just need to grab something.
猪一样的室友
Roommates.
你饿了吗 去吃饭吗
Can we… are you hungry?
也好
I could eat.
行吗
Yeah?
要不我们进城去吃点东西
Maybe we could go into town and grab something?
时间来不及
That’ll take too long.
我两点钟还有课
I have class at 2:00.
这样啊
Oh.
但我可以带你去个又近又好吃的地方
But I know place that’s good and even closer.
迪恩
Dean.
你在这里工作吗
You get a job here?
我倒是想
I wish.
我跟朋友走散了
I seem to have lost my friend.
我能跟你…
You mind if I…
你忙着写什么呢
What are you working on?
在写
Yeah, it’s this…
小说
novel.
真棒
Good for you.
还行吧
Yes.
你喜欢写小说吗
You happy with it?
不喜欢
Not really.
最近怎么样 好些了吗
How’ve you been? Any better?
没有
No.
我有点希望这一切
I kind of just wish this would all be over
尽快结束
as soon as possible.
你为什么这么喜欢这里
Why did you love it here so much!
知道吗 这样的美妙时光 人生中仅此一次
It’s the only time you get to do this, you know?
你可以坐下读一整天书
You get to sit around and read books all day,
可以随意高谈阔论
have really great conversations about ideas.
进入社会后 不可能有这样的机会
People out in the world, they’re not really doing that.
想想看啊 你就算在这里可以站起来乱喊
Think about it. You could go up to everyone here and say,
“我是个诗人” 也不会挨揍
“I’m a poet,” and no one will punch you in the face.
这很不容易