No, I meant, what is hap…
我是说真的
I mean, seriously.
你不会以为我们要相拥度过这一夜
You weren’t thinking we were gonna cuddle
然后我给你读华兹华斯的诗吧
the rest of the night as I read you Wordsworth?
不会再这么想了
Not anymore.
很好
Good.
我在这个学校教了二十书了
I’ve taught at this school for over 20 years.
我见多了你这样的 像传染病一样
I’ve seen the emergence of your kind like an infection…
大多没有活力 故作老成
all these effete, overarticulate man-boys
从来学不会坚强
who never learned to toughen up.
别跟他们一样
Don’t be one of them,
要自食其力
go work with your hands.
有所作为
Build something.
打败其他人
Punch someone in the face.
可惜诺曼·梅勒死得早
Too bad Norman Mailer’s dead,
你们真是绝配
would have been perfect for each other.
要我数到十吗
Shall I count to ten?
等等
Wail, just, can
再等一下好吗
hold on just one second, okay?
你看起来并不快乐
You don’t seem very happy.
你的推理能力很强
Your powers of deduction are stunning.
你应该去一个更好的大学
You must have gone to a very good college.
我只是很疑惑
I’m just confused how…
我是说 你这样一位终身教授
I mean, you’re a tenured professor
在全国最有威望的英语学院之一的
in one of the most prestigious English departments
学校教书
in the country.
还有什么不满足的呢
That’s not fulfilling?
每天在文科学院里开教授会议吗
Sit through a faculty meeting at a liberal arts college,
年轻人
Mr. Young Person.
我保证 你会失去对人类的所有信心
I assure you, you will lose all faith in humanity.
好吧 那课堂上呢
Okay, but what about the classroom?
一定有很多乐趣的
There had to have been some joy there.
我是说 你教得那么好
I mean, you were such a good teacher.
谢谢
Thank you.
我喜欢教书
I like to teach.
曾经狂爱
I used to love it.
为什么变了呢
What happened?
生活变了
Life happened.
好吧 再跟我说点
Okay, I’m gonna need a little bit more.
我只能跟你说这么多
Well, that’s all you’re gonna get.
我跟你不一样 我不是那种会说
Unlike you, I’m not from the “let me tell you
让我告诉你我的悲惨生活的人
every sick, sordid detail of my life” generation.
我做事谨慎
I value discretion.
我讨厌自怨自艾
I loathe self-pity.
这么说吧
So let’s just leave it at this:
人们真是没救了
people are disappointing.
是啊 我只是觉得
Yeah, it’s just, I would think…
-别太随意了 -对不起
– Don’t get comfortable. – Sorry.
我只是觉得
I would just think
你花那么多时间研究诗歌♥
that spending so much time with those poems
一定会让你变得更乐观 更积极向上
would make you more, you know, optimistic and hopeful.
荒谬
Nonsense.
他们都是悲惨的人
They were miserable men
只不过被赋予了一时的才华
who were granted a few moments of transcendence,
凭借才能和远见
and they had the talent and foresight
用笔和纸记录了下来
to grab pen and paper and write it down.
拜伦可能算是他们中最幸福的了
Byron was probably the happiest of the lot,
只是因为他见谁都上
only because he put his dick in everything.
这是我人生中最悲伤的一晚
This is the saddest evening of my life.
学着习惯吧
Get used to it.
给你一点建议
My advice to you is this:
收起你们伤感的小心脏
put some armor around that gooey little heart of yours.
好吧 至少我很欣赏你的讽刺
Well, at least I appreciate the irony.
我刚刚和一个浪漫主义教授
I just had the least romantic night of my life
度过了人生中最不浪漫的一晚
with a Romantics professor.
不论如何
For what it’s worth,
关于你的课我说的都是真的
I meant everything I said about your class.
它打开了我的内心世界
It opened something in me,
我很感激
and I’m grateful for it.
如果我心伤感
And if my heart is gooey,
那至少有部分原因是因为你
you’re at least partially responsible for that.
这么说招生还是没有进展
So you’re still uninspired by admissions.
是啊 差不多吧
Yeah, pretty much.
没有遇到杰西·费歇尔第二吗
No little Jesse Fishers out there?
就算有的话 我也没有遇见
Well, if there are, I’m not meeting them,
也许你只是没有认出他们来
Well, maybe you’re just not recognizing them.
不管怎样
Anyway,
我很感谢你能来
I do appreciate you coming by.
真的
I really do.
我很高兴在我滚蛋之前
It’s great to see you one last time
能再见你一面
before I get the hell out of here.
你觉得好点了吗
You feeling any better about things?
我真希望时间倒流
I tried to turn the clock back.
但没有用
it doesn’t work.
是啊 没用
No, it doesn’t.
我现在只想
Now I just…
我只是在等自己下定决心
I keep waiting to feel more resolve somehow.
我就像是得到假释
What if I’m like one of those prisoners
离开监狱的犯人
that gets paroled
发现自己根本不能适应外面的世界
and finds he can’t handle life on the outside
所以再次犯罪
so he commits a petty crime
为了再回到熟悉的地方
so he can go back to what he knows?
你觉得这里是监狱吗
You think this place is a prison?
任何你离不开的地方都是监狱
Well, any place you don’t leave is a prison.
我随便说说
Well, whatever.
-好吧 -好吧
– Okay. – Ok!
你知道为什么你一直是我第二喜欢的教授吗
You know why you’re my second favorite professor of all time?
不知道
I have no idea.
因为你让我们读你讨厌的作者的书
Because you had us read books by authors you hated.
你应该为你在这所做的感到骄傲
Feel good about what you did here.
谢谢
Thank you.
快上车 快走吧
Gel in your car now, and leave me be.
亲爱的姿碧 一别数月
Dear Zibby, even after all these months,
我还是在期待你的信
I’m still half-expecting a letter from you
出现在我的信箱里
to be sitting in my mailbox.
我知道你肯定没什么想跟我说的了
I’m sure you have little left to say to me at this point,
但是我还是很期待你的来信
but your letters are very much missed.
我知道我伤害了你 我很抱歉
I know I hurt you, and I’m sorry.
我的那些愚蠢行为
Any bone-headed moves I made
都是出于困惑 并没有恶意
were born of confusion and not malice.
也就是说 我最近才感觉到
That said, I’ve been feeling lately the stirrings
我在慢慢成长
of something I can only call growth.
这也算是一种馈赠吧 一个小我十六岁的人
It’s a tribute of sorts to say that someone 16 years my junior
让我最终成长为与年龄相符的人
helped me finally start acting my age.
一位戴红帽子的智者曾经告诉我
A wise man in a red hat once told me,
一切都会好的
Everything is okay.
那时我不相信
I didn’t believe him then,
但是出于某种原因 我开始相信了
but for some reason, I’m starting to.
对不起 我们关门了
Sorry, we’re closed!
你是来找这个的吗
Are you here for this?
我注意到你每次来都是读这本书
I always notice you reading it when you’re in here.
是啊
Yeah.
我每去一家书店 都要读这本书
Any bookstore I’m in, I have to read then.
最后三页
Last three pages.
我知道 很震撼
I know. They’re devastating.
是啊
Yeah.
我叫杰西
I’m Jesse.
我叫安娜
I’m Ana.
我爱读书
I love books.
我用了最笨拙的方式来表达
I do in, like, the dorkiest way possible.
我也是

你的评论可以尖锐,也可以湿疣!