They said you couldn’t be Jean Valjean, and they were right.
我刚从阿♥拉♥斯回来 在那儿我看见了真正的冉阿让
I’ve just returned from Arras, where l saw the real Jean VaIjean.
-真的阿让 -是的
– The real Valjean? – Yes.
两个星期前 一个叫卡诺特的人因偷苹果而被捕
Two weeks ago, a man called Carnot was arrested for poaching apples.
在监狱里 一个犯人只看了他一眼就说 我认识这个家伙
At the prison, a convict took one look at him and said, “l know this man.
20年前我们一起呆在土伦的监狱里
We were in prison in Toulon 20 years ago.
他是冉阿让 我不相信这些
He’s Jean Valjean.” l didn’t believe it.
就自己去看了一下 没错 毫无疑问
l went there to see for myself. Well, there’s no question.
卡诺特就是冉阿让
Carnot is Valjean.
我要道歉 阁下
l apologize, monsieur.
我现在看您 很明显您不像个罪犯
l Iook at you now, and it’s obvious you’re not a convict.
你不认为我是个罪犯
You don’t think I’m a convict?
当然不 我亲眼见到了冉阿让
Of course I don’t. I’ve seen Valjean with my own eyes.
我一定是昏了头 竟把您这么个高尚的人当作罪犯
l must’ve been out of my mind to think a great man like you could be a criminaI.
-这个人 他承认自己是冉阿让吗 -当然不
– This man– He admits to being Valjean? – Of course not.
他装扮成一个听不明白指控的白♥痴♥
He pretends to be a half-wit who can’t understand the charges.
冉阿让没有遵守假释条例
Valjean has broken parole.
这将会判终身监禁
That calls for life imprisonment.
-什么时候开庭 -明天
– When is the trial? – Tomorrow.
-会开多久 -不会超过明天下午
– How long will it take? – No more than an afternoon.
证据确凿无疑
– Tomorrow. – The evidence is overwheIming.
我回来是请求您解雇我 并控告我诽谤
l returned so you could dismiss me and press charges for slander.
我要考虑一下
l must consider.
我正要回家 和我一起走
l was just on my way home. Walk with me.
你是个苛刻的人
You are a stern man.
但你很尽职 我希望你继续工作
But you’re honorabIe. I want you to remain prefect.
-马德兰先生 这不可能 -你夸大了你的行为
– Monsieur le Maire, that’s impossible. – You’ve exaggerated your offense.
我没有夸大 先生
I’ve not exaggerated, monsieur.
我仇恨您 我嫉妒您的权利
l resented you. l chafed at your authority.
为了报复 我诽谤了您
And out of revenge l slandered you.
如果我的下属对我这样做 我会收拾他的
lf a subordinate of mine had done that l would have broken him.
你必须要惩罚我 否则我的生命将毫无意义
You must punish me, monsieur, or my life will have been meaningless.
要怪就怪我吧
Blame me.
-您 马德兰先生 -我命令你原谅自己
– You, Monsieur le Maire? – l order you to forgive yourself.
把宽恕都怪在我头上吧
Blame me for that mercy.
你会保持原职的 这是我的命令
You will remain prefect. Those are my orders.
你今天会去接她吗
Will you go get her today?
是的 今晚
Yes. Tonight.
出什么事了么
ls something wrong?
我会尽我所能
l’m going to do my best.
我会为了女儿尽快好起来
l’m going to get better for my girl.
如果上帝决定带走我 你会照顾珂赛特吗
But if He chooses to take me, will you look after Cosette?
我知道我没有权力
I have no right–
你和珂赛特 会永远安全的和我在一起
You and Cosette will aIways be safe with me.
我发誓
l swear it.
-这是法庭吗 -是的 先生
– Is this the courthouse? – Yes, sir.
谢谢
Thank you.
-我可以进去吗 -我不能放你进去 全坐满了
– May I go in? – I can’t let you in. it’s full.
满了 没有位置了
it’s full? There are no seats?
塞满了人
Jammed.
-有两件大案子 -那我进不去了
– We got two great cases. – So I can’t get in?
不可能
Not a chance.
除非 除非您是个政♥府♥官员
Unless– UnIess monsieur is a public official.
在法官的旁边给他们留了位置
There’s a seat reserved for them right beside the judge.
最好的座位
Best seats in the house.
我是维高的市长
l’m the mayor of Vigau.
先生们 请你们坐下
Gentlemen, will you be so kind as to remain seated…
当议员 法官大人覆核罪犯的档案的时候
while m’lords, the judges, reexamine the prisoner’s records.
被告席上的罪犯要站着
Prisoner to remain standing at the bar.
-议长先生 -很荣幸 市长先生
– Monsieur le President. – lt is an honor.
-欢迎 -谢谢
– Welcome. – Thank you.
继续审理
Continue the examination.
你假装很蠢笨
You pretend to be simple.
所以我问你一个简单的问题
So l give you a simple question to answer.
你到底是不是人犯冉阿让
Are you or are you not the convict Jean Valjean?
首先
ln the first place–
-什么是首先 -回答问题
– What was the first place? – Answer the question.
你是个坏人 这就是我要说的
You’re wicked! That’s what l was going to say.
只是我忘了你的名字
Only l forgot your name.
我是个
l’m a man who–
哦 应该用什么词儿呢
Oh, what’s the word for it?
我不是个每天都能吃上饭的人
l’m one of those who doesn’t eat every day.
我 我很饿
l’m– l’m hungry.
就是这个词儿
That’s the word.
你已经因偷东西而定罪
You’ve already been found guiIty of poaching.
回答检察官的问题
Answer the prosecutor’s question.
他提问了吗
Did he ask a question?
你是不是冉阿让
Are you or are you not Jean Valjean?
你说我出生在法夫罗基斯
You say l was born in Faverolles.
这样很好 告诉我是从哪里来的
That’s very clever, telIing me where l come from.
比我知道得都多 我 我的父母亲是流浪汉
That’s more than l know. My– My parents were tramps.
迹象显示他通过聪明的伪装
ln view of the shrewdly contrived denials…
来否认指控 他想通过装傻来蒙混过关
of the accused, who is trying to pass himself off as an idiot…
我要求传唤证人博韦特
l call the witness Brevet to the stand.
好的
So ordered.
博韦特 我提醒你
Brevet, l remind you…
你所说的将影响他人的一生
that what you say may destroy a man’s life.
你要对你的证词绝对的肯定
You must be absolutely certain of your testimony.
我的记忆很好 这是我的长处
My memory is good. The best thing l have.
被告起立
The accused will rise.
-你认识这个人吗 -是的
– Do you recognize this man? – Yeah.
我是第一个认出他的人 因此我应该得到奖励
l was the first to recognize him, so l ought to get credit.
别管谁是第一个 他是谁
Never mind who was first. Who is he?
冉阿让我们在监狱里共度了19年
That’s Jean VaIjean. We served 19 years together in prison.
他看上去变老了 当然 也变蠢了
He looks older, of course. Looks stupider too.
可能是因为年纪的原因
That’s probably age.
-我要求犯人伦巴第上前 -你可以下去了
– l call the convict Lombard to stand. – You may step down.
被告要保持站立
The accused should remain standing.
我重复 你的证词将影响他人的一生
l repeat my warning. A man’s life can be destroyed by your answer.
你认识被告吗
Do you recognize the accused?
我没办法不认识他
I can’t help but recognize him.
我们在一条铁链上拴了五年
We did five years on one chain.
你有什么毛病 连个招呼都不打
What’s the matter with you, eh? No “Hello”?
想我了没
Eh? Did you miss me, eh?
你好
Hello.
我要求证人勃坦上前
l call Bertin to the stand.
我同样警告你 你的证言会影响他的一生
l warn you as well. Your answer can ruin a man.
你认识被告吗
Do you recognize the accused?
是的 他是冉阿让
Yeah. He’s Jean Valjean.
我可以在庭上发言吗
May l address the court?
当然可以 马德兰先生
Yes, sir. Yes, certainly, Monsieur le Maire.
看看我 你们认识我吗
Look at me. Do you recognize me?
我认识你 你在土伦就是个告密的家伙
l recognize you. You were an informer in Toulon,
看样子现在一点没变
and l see you’re still a snitch.
你好 博韦特 还有你 伦巴第
Hello, Brevet. And you, Lombard.
别看我的衣服 看我被刮伤的下巴 看我的眼睛
Don’t look at my f ancy clothes, at my scraped chin. Look at my eyes.
你称自己是”无神论者”对吗
You called yourseIf “Godless”, right?
你左肩有一道伤疤
You’ve got a scar on your left shoulder.
是你那晚想杀我时我回赠的 还记得吗
l gave it to you the night you tried to kill me, remember?
-当我把你按在炉子上的时候 -是你
– When l pinned you over the stove. – It is you.
把你的疤给大家看看
Show the court your scar.
勃坦 在你左臂内侧有个日期的纹身 1789
Bertin, in the hollow of your left arm, there’s a date tattooed, 1789.
大革命的年代 给他们看看
The year of the Revolution. Show them.
我认识这些人 法官大人 他们也认识我
l know these men, Monsieur le President, and they know me.
我是你想找的人
l am the man you want.
我是冉阿让
l am Jean Valjean.
-是他 -哦 上帝
– It’s him! – Oh, my God!
马德兰先生 我知道你是个好人 可这
Monsieur le Maire, l know you to be a kind man, but this–
好人
A kind man?
当我在监狱的时候 我和这些人一样无知无♥耻♥ 一点也不好
When l was in prison, l was as ignorant, mean and devious as these men. Not kind.
我也希望把嘴闭严 让这个不幸的人代我受过

你的评论可以尖锐,也可以湿疣!