阿 拉 伯 的 劳 伦 斯
第35届奥斯卡(1963年) 最佳影片
警告
危险
T.E.劳伦斯
1888-1935
他是我认识的人当中 最不平凡的一个人
He was the most extraordinary man I ever knew.
你跟他很熟吗?
Did you know him well?
我认识他
I knew him.
你要不就是跟他很熟 要不就是不认识他
Well, nil nisi bonum.
但他真的值得…
But did he really deserve…
你们把他葬在这里吗?
…a place in here?
阿兰比大人 你能谈谈劳伦斯吗?
Lord Allenby, could you give a few words about Lawrence?
什么?还要再说啊?
What, more words?
沙漠的叛乱事件…
The revolt in the desert…
在中东局势中 扮演着决定性的角色
…played a decisive part in the Middle Eastern campaign.
是的,但我想请您 谈谈劳伦斯上校这个人
Yes, sir, but about Colonel Lawrence himself.
不,我跟他不熟,你知道的
No, no. I didn’t know him well, you know.
班特尼先生,你可说是最认识劳伦斯
Mr. Bentley, you know as much about Lawrence as anybody.
是的,能认识他…
Yes, it was my privilege to know him.
跟让世人认识他,是我的荣幸
And to make him known to the world.
他是诗人,学者及英勇的战士
He was a poet, a scholar and a mighty warrior.
谢谢
Thank you.
他还是自从巴纳姆跟贝利之后 最无♥耻♥的爱现狂
He was also the most shameless exhibitionist since Barnum and Bailey.
您是哪位?
You, sir. Who are you?
我是杰克森班特利
My name is Jackson Bentley.
我听到你刚说的话 并对那提出最严重的异议
I overheard your last remark and take the gravest exception.
– 他是个伟大的人 – 你认识他吗?
– He was a great man. – Did you know him?
不,我不能说我认识他
No, I can’t claim to have known him.
我很荣幸在大马士革跟他握过手
I had the honour to shake his hand in Damascus.
认识他?我从来都不认识他
Knew him? I never knew him.
他曾在开罗为我做些不重要工作
He had some minor function on my staff in Cairo.
麦克乔治哈特利
Michael George Hartley…
这是个又脏又暗的小房♥间
…this is a nasty, dark little room.
没错
That’s right.
我们在这里不快乐
We are not happy in it.
我快乐,这要比待在 又脏又暗的的小战壕来得好
I am. It’s better than a nasty, dark little trench.
– 那么你是个高尚的贵族啰 – 没错
– Then you’re a big noble fellow. – That’s right.
威廉波特拿着我的报纸来了
Here is William Potter with my newspaper.
– 拿去吧 – 谢谢
– Here you are, tosh. – Thanks.
你想来根哈特利上校的香烟吗?
Would you care for one of Corporal Hartley’s cigarettes?
– 有刊登吗? – 当然有
– Is it there? – Of course.
头条新闻
Headlines.
我敢说泰晤士时报 一定没提这条新闻
But I bet it isn’t mentioned in the Times.
“贝都因人攻击土耳其要塞”
“Bedouin tribes attack Turkish stronghold.”
我敢说连这里总部的人 都不知道这件事
I bet that no one in this headquarters even knows it happened.
或者在乎这件事,我来帮你点烟
Or would care if it did. Allow me to ignite your cigarette.
– 劳伦斯先生? – 我就是
– Mr. Lawrence? – Yes.
– 您的电报 – 谢谢
– Flimsy, sir. – Thank you.
你总有一次会闯祸的 只不过是血肉罢了
You’ll do that once too often. It’s only flesh and blood.
麦克乔治哈特利 你是个哲学家
Michael George Hartley, you’re a philosopher.
你是个怪人!
And you’re balmy!
– 好痛啊! – 当然会痛啰
– It damn well hurts! – Certainly, it hurts.
那么秘诀是什么?
What’s the trick, then?
威廉波特 秘诀就是不要在乎会痛
The trick, William Potter, is not minding that it hurts.
还有如果吉普森上尉要找我
By the way, if Captain Gibbon should enquire for me…
告诉他我去跟将军聊天了
…tell him I’ve gone for a chat with the general.
– 他是个怪人 – 他很正常
– He’s balmy. – He’s all right.
劳伦斯
Lawrence.
什么事?
Yes?
你应该要…
You’re supposed to be…
你通常都是那样戴着 帽子进来这里的吗?
Do you usually wear your cap in the mess?
我一直都是这样
Always.
你应该在当班 你要去哪里?
You should be on duty. Where are you going?
别跟我说教 佛莱迪,这里是休息室啊
Mustn’t talk shop, Freddie, not in the mess.
我要去跟将军谈一谈
I’m going for a powwow with the general.
我不是以长官的身份问你 而是以休息室负责人身份在问你
I’m not asking as your superior, but as the secretary of this mess.
我们不要该在当班的人进来
We don’t want chaps in here who should be on duty.
请告诉我,你要去哪里?
Where are you going?
我得警告你,劳伦斯!
I must say, Lawrence!
– 抱歉 – 你是个小丑,劳伦斯
– Sorry. – You’re a clown, Lawrence.
不可能人人都是驯兽师
Ah, well, we can’t all be lion tamers.
抱歉
Sorry.
真是个谜,戴登
It’s an intrigue, Dryden.
我不建议让一个自大愚蠢的中尉
I do not propose to let an overweening, crass lieutenant…
对指挥官的命令不屑一顾 而且还不受到惩罚
…thumb his nose at his commander and get away with it.
听起来没有他不是任何大损失
It doesn’t sound as though he’d be any great loss, sir.
别那么做,戴登,这是原则问题
Don’t try that, Dryden. There’s a principle involved.
没错
There is, indeed.
他待在开罗一点用处都没有
He’s of no use here in Cairo.
他或许该到阿♥拉♥伯去 他清楚时事,长官
He might be in Arabia. He knows his stuff, sir.
你是说他清楚那本书吧
Knows the books, you mean.
我已经派布莱顿上校去了 他是一位士兵
I’ve already sent out Colonel Brighton, who’s a soldier.
如果布莱顿认为我们该出兵 我们会那么做的
If Brighton thinks we should send some arms, we will.
你还需要什么?
Well, what more do you want?
你确定劳伦斯中尉…
That there would be no question of Lieutenant Lawrence…
不会给任何军事上的建议
…giving military advice.
天啊,我希望他不会那么做
By God, I should hope not.
只是阿♥拉♥伯局 希望有自己的人在现场…
It’s just that the Arab Bureau would like its own man on the spot to…
做什么?
To what?
给我们作一个评估
To make our own appraisal of the situation.
我还要告诉你 这是我跟我手下的意见
I’ll tell you, it’s my considered opinion and that of my staff…
任何花在贝都因人身上的时间 都是浪费了的时间
…that time spent on the Bedouin will be time wasted.
他们是一个偷羊贼的民族
They’re a nation of sheep- stealers.
他们的确攻击了麦地纳
They did attack Medina.
土耳其人把他们打的粉身碎骨
And the Turks made mincemeat of them.
我们不知道这件事
We don’t know that.
我们知道他们没接受 那没什么,只是段小插曲
We know that they didn’t take it. A storm in a teacup, a sideshow.
如果你想听我的意见 我觉得这儿根本是个小插曲
In my opinion, this whole theatre of operations is a sideshow.
真正的战争敌人是德国人 不是土耳其人
The real war’s being fought against Germans, not Turks.
战场不在这里而是在西线
Not here, but on the Western front in the trenches.
你的贝都因军队 不管他们是如何称呼自己
Your Bedouin Army, or whatever it calls itself…
他们只不过是一段小插曲中的小配角
…would be a sideshow of a sideshow.
伟大的事都是 从很小的开端开始的,长官
Big things have small beginnings, sir.
阿♥拉♥伯局希望阿♥拉♥伯发生大事吗?
Does the Arab Bureau want a big thing in Arabia?
在战争结束后 他们会臣服于我们之下吗?
Does the bureau think they’ll sit down under us when this war is over?
长官,局里认为 现在的工作是要打胜仗
The bureau thinks the job of the moment, sir, is to win the war.
别告诉我我有什么责任,戴登先生
Don’t tell me my duty, Mr. Dryden.
– 劳伦斯来了,长官 – 请他进来
– Lawrence, sir. – Send him in.
早安
Good morning, sir.
敬礼
Salute.
如果你要抗命,我会逮捕你的
If you’re insubordinate, I shall put you under arrest.
– 是我的态度 – 你的什么?
– It’s my manner. – Your what?
长官,我的态度看来像是抗命 但事实上却不然
My manner. It looks insubordinate, but it isn’t.
我弄不清楚 你是态度恶劣或是愚蠢
I can’t make out whether you’re bad- mannered or just half- witted.
– 我也有相同的问题,长官 – 闭嘴
– I have the same problem, sir. – Shut up.
阿♥拉♥伯局认为你在阿♥拉♥伯 应该会派上用场了
The Arab Bureau thinks you would be of use to them in Arabia.
我真想不到什么原因
Why, I can’t imagine.
你无法完成你现在的任务
You can’t perform your present duties properly.
“我不会拉提琴,但我能让一个 小城市变成一个伟大的国家”
“I cannot fiddle, but I can make a great state from a little city.”
– 什么? – 那是希米斯特克拉斯的话
– What? – Themistocles, sir.
– 他是希腊的哲学家 – 我知道你受过高深的教育
– A Greek philosopher. – I know you’ve been well- educated.
你的档案上是那么说的
It says so in your dossier.
你是我受不了的那种人 劳伦斯
You’re the kind of creature I can’t stand, Lawrence.
但我想我可能错了
But I suppose I could be wrong.
好了,戴丹 你可以把他带走六星期
All right, Dryden. You can have him for six weeks.
谁知道呢?或许可以把他 变成男子汉,进来!
Who knows? It might even make a man of him. Come in!
什么事?
Yes, what is it?
舰队明天晚上会到赛德港
The convoy will be in Port Said tomorrow night.
– 确定了吗? – 是的,长官
– Is that certain? – Yes, sir.
看来似乎没有大炮
There doesn’t seem to be any artillery.
但应该要有才对啊!
But there must be artillery!
长官,他要去很远的地方
Sir, this is something of an expedition.