我会杀掉自己,甚至不会醒来
I’m killing myself, and I’m not even awake.
那我们该怎么办?
What are we supposed to do?
内心保持空虚…
”Keep your bowels open…
阅读《山上宝训》…
”read the Sermon on the Mount…
坐着,把睾丸浸在一碗冷水中…
”sit with your testicles submerged in a bowl of cold water…
想象母亲纯洁的爱
think of your mother’s pure love.”
为什么不祈祷?
Why don’t we pray.
来吧 继续发问
Come on. Keep firing questions.
迅雷不及掩耳的提问 让被测试者难以撒谎
Extreme rapidity makes it very difficult for a subject to lie.
你第一次在梦中达到性高♥潮♥是什么时候?
How young were you the first time you had an orgasm while dreaming?
你多长时间梦遗一次?
How frequently did you have wet dreams?
你梦见了什么?
What did you dream about?
你第一次经历拥抱或接吻是什么时候?
How young were you when you first experienced hugging or kissing?
爱抚? – 亲吻? – 口♥交♥?
Necking? – Petting? – Oral sex?
你从什么时候不再 把父母的家当作自己的?
How young were you when you no longer thought of your parents’ home as your own?
艾尔,天色晚了 我们走吧
Al, it’s getting late. Let’s make the rounds.
艾尔! – 马上下来!
Al.! – Be right down!
一包法蒂玛
Pack of Fatimas.
好的,小伙儿 15 美分
Okay, son. That’ll be 15 cents.
你犯罪了,先生
You’re a criminal, sir.
我应该 立即向地方当局报案
I shall report you at once to the local authorities.
我的老天,该死的新教♥徒♥
Dear Jesus, a goddamn Protestant.
你不会把这种肮脏的玩意儿卖♥♥给未成年人吧
Did you not sell this vile weed to a minor?
这和你有什么相干?
What business is that of yours?
保护青少年不受诱惑是主的职责
It is the Lord’s work to protect the young from temptation.
像你这种人,先生,性格软弱的人… – 滚出我的商店去
Men like you, sir, Men of weak character… – get the hell out of my store.
我已经适当警告过, 你令思想健康的美国公民反感
I’ve given you proper warning. -are offensive to right-thinking American citizens–
闭嘴!你以为你是谁啊,神父?窃贼
Shut up! You know what you are, Father? A prig.
艾尔 – 吝啬鬼,小气的暴君,十足的伪君子!
Al. – A skinflint, a petty tyrant and a hypocrite to boot!
你觉得你在乎吗?我可不在乎
You think you matter? You don’t matter.
他的脑子有毛病
There’s something wrong with him.
过来,艾尔 – 不
Come on, Al. – No.
可能你的工作量太大了
Maybe your workload is too heavy.
你可以把机械绘图放一放
You could drop mechanical drawing.
我已经退出了史蒂文斯
I’ve withdrawn from Stevens.
那不可能
That’s impossible.
我是一名高级教员 应该有人告诉我
I’m a senior member of the faculty. Someone would’ve informed me.
为什么?那儿人人都讨厌你
Why? Everyone there hates you.
我要去包德恩学习生物学
I’m going to Bowdoin to study biology.
你打算怎么付学费?
And how do you intend to pay for that?
他们给了我部分奖学金
They’ve given me a partial scholarship.
我也已经筹到了足够的钱
And I’ve socked away most of my scouting money.
你已经成了个隐晦的人,艾尔…
You’ve become a shady person, Al…
保留着自己的秘密
a person who keeps secrets.
我没得选择
I had no choice.
你可真够让人失望的
What a disappointment you turned out to be.
你一共读了多少念书? – 二十年
How many years of schooling did you complete? – Twenty.
在包德恩拿到我的本科学位后…
After taking my undergraduate degree at Bowdoin…
我在哈佛布塞学院获得博士学位
I received my doctorate from the Bussey Institute at Harvard.
我担任了动物学助理教授的职位…
I took a position as assistant professor of zoology…
就这儿的印第安纳大学
here at Indiana University.
我首先研究云顶大鹿角…
At first I studied the Rhaetulus didieri…
或者鹿角锹甲
or stag beetle.
后来我发现了一种更迷人的昆虫
Then I discovered a far more fascinating insect.
这是美国犬儒蜂科,或称瘿蜂
This is the American Cynipidae, or gall wasp.
这儿瘿蜂把蛋存放进…
Here the wasp deposits an egg…
宿主植物体内
into its host plant.
这个案例,一棵栎树
In this case, an oak tree.
瘿蜂成虫已经开始在树内咬出一条路…
The adult wasp chews its way through the tree…
并进行交♥媾♥
and copulates.
这时候它就会在快♥感♥中死去
At which point it has the good sense to die.
动物王国包括…
The animal kingdom includes…
至少两百万昆虫种类
at least two million insect species.
那为什么瘿蜂就这么吸引人呢?
So, what makes the gall wasp so fascinating?
我花了过去三年时间…
I’ve spent the last three years…
走遍大♥陆♥,收集瘿蜂
crisscrossing the continent, collecting gall wasps.
在这个只有蚂蚁一半大的小朋友身上 我学到了什么呢?
And what have I learned from my tiny friends, half the size of the household ant?
你需要约会
That you need a date.
噻!
Shh!
在显微镜下研究了几千个 这种恼人的生物后…
After studying thousands of these pesky creatures under the microscope…
我还没发现有哪一只瘿蜂和另一只相同
I’ve yet to find a single gall wasp that’s the same as another.
实际上,有些是如此地不同…
In fact, some are so different…
以至于同一代瘿蜂的后代…
that the offspring of one generation…
和父辈没有任何相似, 甚至超过熊之于山羊
bear no more resemblance to their parents than a sheep bears to a goat.
我们这些人能从这一事实中得到安慰
There are those of us who might take comfort in this fact.
思考它的内涵
Consider the implications.
如果每一个生命体都和另外的不一样…
If every single living thing is different from every other living thing…
那多样性就是生命不可缩减的事实
then diversity becomes life’s one irreducible fact.
只有变化是真实的
Only variations are real.
要看到它们…
And to see them…
你只须睁开你的眼睛
you simply have to open your eyes.
你好 我可以坐这儿吗?
Hello. Mind if I sit here?
为什么?
Why?
因为你是唯一的未婚男性…
Because you’re the only unattached male…
而我是唯一的未婚女性
and I’m the only unattached female.
那很有道理
That’s very sensible.
会做饭的男人 真提神
A man who cooks. How refreshing.
我在西部收集瘿蜂的时候就学会了
I picked it up when I went out west to collect galls.
我出去了11个月,这段时间见过的人应该不超过一打
I was gone for 11 months, and I don’t think I saw more than a dozen people the whole time.
听起来很孤独 – 哦
Sounds lonely. – Oh.
我很喜欢
I enjoyed it.
我已经钻研过瘿蜂
I’ve been reading up on gall wasps.
我想我知道它们为何吸引你 – 啊哈
I think I know why they appeal to you. – Uh-huh.
他们有很大的翅膀却飞不起来
They have great big wings, but they can’t fly.
它们不能从一座山移♥动♥到另一座山…
They are incapable of getting from this hill to that hill…
除非近得可以走过去…
unless it’s close enough to walk…
那就是说有可能…
which means it’s possible…
回头走每一代的路,一座座山…
to retrace each generation’s steps, hill by hill…
一座座山…
by hill by hill…
沿着所有的路回到起点
all the way back to the very beginning.
瘿蜂的伊甸园
The gall wasp Garden of Eden.
那太有趣了,米伦小姐
That’s very interesting, Miss Millen.
你用一句话就弥合了达尔文和《创世纪》之间的鸿沟
You’ve managed to bridge the gap between Darwin and the Book of Genesis in a single phrase.
麦柯米伦 – 嗯?
McMillen. – Mmm?
克拉拉·麦克米伦 – 哦!
Clara McMillen. – Oh!
我是金教
I’m Prok.
什么? – 这时我的本科学生给我的绰号♥
Sorry? – It’s a nickname my graduate students have given me.
金赛教授 金教
Pro– fessor K– insey. Prok.
首先我担心这暗示了老师和学生之间的…
At first I worried that it suggested an inappropriate level of intimacy…
一种不当的亲密关系…
between teacher and student…
那会导致尊重界限的丧失
that could lead to a loss of respect down the line.
我想这只是他们喜欢你
I think it just means they like you.
是的 最后我认识到了
Yes. Eventually I realized that.
啊,要番茄汤和三明治吗?
Um, tomato bisque and sandwiches?
好的
Please.
多么吸引人的收藏
Such an impressive collection.
谢谢 它们以前是按照时期分类的
Thanks. They used to be categorized by period.
但后来我按照作者的首写字母排列
But then I rearranged them alphabetically by composer.
我发现这更有效率
I find it’s more efficient.
你曾经想过职业演奏吗?因为你非常棒
Did you ever think about playing professionally? Because you’re very good.
哦,拜托 谢谢!
Oh, please. Thank you.
可是,啊,“非常棒”还不够棒
But, uh, ”very good” isn’t good enough.
我有份礼物给你
I got you a present.
啊! – 给
Ah! – Here.
噢
Oh.
哦,太奇妙了!
Oh, how marvelous!
大小正合适
They’re the right size. – Oh!
哦!
Oh!
哦!
Oh!
你第一次婚前性行为是多少岁?
At what age did you first have premarital intercourse?