Hold that tiger Hold that tiger
Hold that tiger Hold that tiger
山丘之王
Hold that tiger Hold that tiger
Hold that tiger
Where’s that tiger Where’s that tiger
Here’s that tiger Where’s that tiger
Here’s that tiger
Where’s that tiger Here’s that tiger
Hold that tiger Hold that tiger
1933年 圣路易市
“六年前
‘Six years ago…
1927年5月20日那天清晨
on the morning of May 20, 1927…
正当熟睡时 我的床边电♥话♥开始响了起来
I was fast asleep when my bedside phone began to ring.
我看了一下闹钟 才将近五点
I looked at my alarm clock. It was almost 5:00.
我知道全世界只有一个人
I knew there was only one person in the whole world…
会在这时辰打电♥话♥来
who would call at such an hour.
当我接起电♥话♥后 应证了我的想法没错
And when I picked up the phone, I knew I was right.
我说”喂”线路杂音很大
‘Hello, ‘ I said. There was quite a bit of noise on the line.
“亚伦 我是查尔斯·林德伯格
‘Aaron, Charles Lindbergh here. Sorry about the noise.
我从长岛的罗斯福广场打来的 我们正在做引擎测试”
I’m calling from Roosevelt Field, and we’re doing engine tests.’
“没关系”我回说”我能为你做什么”
‘That’s okay, Slim’, I said. ‘What can I do for you?’
“嗯”他说”记得横越大西洋那趟飞行吗”
‘Well’, he said, ‘remember that flight across the Atlantic I was telling you about?’
我告诉他我记得 他不断说着
I told him I remembered. He’d been telling me about it…
并要我发誓保守秘密
for months and made me swear to keep it a secret.
“情况是这样子”他说”事实是再过几小时我就要启程
‘Here’s the situation’, Slim said. ‘The fact is I’ll be shoving off…
大约7点50分左右 我想问问你关于食物的事”
in a few hours… around 10 to 8:00… and I wanted to ask you about food.’
我说”食物”他回答说”是的”
‘Food?’ I said. ‘Yes’, he replied.
“我预计这次飞行要花大约34小时
‘I anticipate the flight to take about 34 hours…
我想问问你的意见 看看该带哪种食物”
and I wanted your opinion on what kind of food to bring.’
我说”带乳酪三明治就错不了
‘Well’, I said, ‘you can’t go wrong with a cheese sandwich.
别忘了加芥末”
And don’t forget the mustard.’
他笑了
He laughed.
“我就知道问你准没错 我会从巴黎打电报给你”
‘I knew I could count on you, Aaron. I’ll cable you from Paris.’
我告诉他”祝你好运”并挂断了电♥话♥
‘Good luck’, I told him and hung up the phone.
像其他每个人一样 我收听广播
Like everyone else, I listened to the radio…
关于他飞行的新闻
for news about his flight…
我并不担心他的安危 因为我知道他座椅后方
but I wasn’t worried about his safety because I knew he had…
有艘特制的救生艇 以防遭遇紧急状况
a special collapsible lifeboat behind his pilot seat in case of emergency.
但是当《圣路易之魂号♥》降落在巴黎
But when the Spirit of St. Louis landed in Paris…
起飞后的33小时半之后
33 1/2 hours after takeoff…
我大叫到窗户都在震动
I yelled so loud the windows shook.
两天之后 我收到一封电报
Two days later I received a telegram.
写说”抱歉打扰了你的睡眠
It said, ‘Sorry to disturb your sleep…
但是能听见你的声音真好
but alas, ’twas good to hear your voice.
发自你的好朋友查尔斯
Take it from your good friend Chaz…
我嚼的乳酪真是上等”
the cheese I chewed was choice.”‘
完毕
The end.
谢谢你 亚伦
Thank you, Aaron.
那篇文章 非常富有创造力
That was… very inventive.
我母亲是林德伯格婚礼上的伴娘
My mother was the maid of honor at Charles Lindbergh’s wedding.
真的
Really?
今天最后一篇报告 将由比利·汤普森来念
Our last report for the day will be read by Billy Thompson.
他选的美国英雄是 约翰·戴维森·洛克斐勒
The American hero he’s chosen is John D. Rockefeller.
“我选择约翰·戴维森·洛克斐勒 作为我的美国英雄
“I chose John D. Rockefeller as my American hero…
因为 虽然他是世上最有钱的人之一
because, although he’s one of the richest men in the world…
却从未忘记他的卑微出身
he has never forgotten his humble beginnings.
所以他乐善好施
That’s why he gives generously to charity…
救济他在街上所遇见的
and hands out dimes to the poor unfortunates…
穷苦不幸的人”
he encounters on the streets.”
-你好 亚伦 -嗨 山德士先生
-Hello, Aaron. -Hi, Mr. Sandoz.
沙利文
Sullivan!
每天都有事
Every day it’s something.
难怪你被逮到
No wonder you got caught.
抢小孩子的点心
Taking a kid’s dessert!
我跟你说了上千次 只拿胖子的食物
I told you a thousand times, only take food from the fat kids…
千万别抢小孩子的点心
and you never take a kid’s dessert.
小孩子会午餐摆着不碰 只吃点心
A kid will leave his whole lunch untouched and just eat the dessert.
-我知道 -你有被带去史提华特先生那儿吗
-I know. -Did you get sent to Mr. Stillwater?
-有的 -你没告诉他我们住哪吧
-Yeah. -You didn’t tell him where we live, did you?
没有 他像秃鹰一样 把手勒住我的脖子背后
No. He had his hands clamped onto the back of my neck like a vulture or something.
-我没办法开口 -很好
-I couldn’t talk. -Good.
卡列登宫 莱利街4519号♥
来啊 过来
Come on, come on!
你看
Hey, look.
-大肥猪伯恩斯 -快点 离开街道
-Big Butt Burns. -Hurry up! Get out of the street.
嘿嘿嘿 停在那里
Hey, hold it there.
你 快点 走吧 往前开
You, come on! Let’s go! Move it along!
女士 离开街道
Hey, lady, get out of the street.
快点 伙伴 快点
Come on, buddy. Come on. Yeah, yeah, yeah.
你几时要教我打弹珠
When you gonna teach me marbles?
我一直在跟你说 凡是重要的东西不能用教的
I keep telling ya: All the important stuff can’t be taught.
你必须自己学的 谁懂得重要的东西
You just have to learn. Who knows all the important stuff?
-爸 -莱斯特 谁教过他 没人
-Dad. -Lester. And who taught him? Nobody.
-但我想像你一样厉害嘛 -听着
-But I wanna be as good as you. -Look.
挑两颗
Pick two.
那颗不行
Not that one.
那颗不行
No, not that one.
那颗绝对不行
Definitely not that one.
哪一颗才行啊
Well, which ones can I have?
来
Here.
-开始练习 -但好的都在你那里
-Start practicing. -But you kept the good ones.
-要我拿回来吗 -不要
-Want me to take ’em back? -No.
少抱怨了
Stop complaining.
快点
Come on.
-嘿 -嘿
-Hey. -Hey.
不久前你父亲刚上去 他在读某封信
Took your father up a while ago. He was readin’ some letter.
是公♥司♥寄来的吗
Was it from a company?
他在等一封钟表公♥司♥的信 钟表收入很好
He’s expecting a letter from a watch company. There’s big money in watches.
我怎会知道是谁寄来的
Now, how would I know who it was from?
是用打字还是手写的
Well, was it typed or was it written by hand?
-手写的 -那可能就没什么了
-By hand. -It’s probably nothing, then.
-嘿 停 -让我拿点东西
-Hey, stop! -Let me get a few things…
-你踩到黑色的了 -嘘 你听
You’re stepping on a black one. -Shh. Listen.
-听什么 -来吧
-What? -Come on.
我只是想要我的颜料 水彩和几只画笔
I just want my paints. Just the watercolors and a few brushes.
-我得照德索先生吩咐的去做 -可是
-I gotta do what Mr. Desot tells me. -But…
如果我不能使用我的器具
How am I supposed to earn money to pay my rent…
我该如何赚钱付房♥租呢
if I can’t use my supplies?
-那是你的难题 -要多少价钱
-That’s a puzzle, all right. -So what would your price be…
你才肯让我进入那房♥间五秒钟呢
to let me have five seconds in that room?
比你身上有的钱要多很多
A lot more than you got.
妈 他刚刚
Mom, we just…
有人死了吗
Did somebody die?
没有人死
Nobody died.
那是什么事
Well, what is it, then?
你母亲和我做了个决定
Your mother and I have made a decision.
-是你做的决定 -你同意了啊
-You made the decision. -You agreed to this!
我是同意我们别无选择
I agreed we didn’t have a choice.
两件事是不一样的
That’s not the same thing.
告诉他们 埃里克
Tell them, Eric.
沙利文将离开一段时间
Sullivan will be going away for a while.
什么
What?
内森叔叔说他会收养他
Uncle Nathan sent a letter saying he’d keep him…
直到我们自立更生为止
until we can get back on our feet again.
那样一来 一周至少省下一美元
That way we save at least a dollar a week.
我一周可以赚一元啊 爸
I could make a dollar in a week, Dad.
你能赚那么多 他快念完八年级了
Oh, you can make that much, huh? He’s finishing eighth grade.
-可以负担生计了 -埃里克
-He’s already the breadwinner! -Eric.
他太小了
He’s too young!
你们可以送我去
You could send me.
我们要送他去 就这么决定
We’re sending him, and that’s final!
突然冒出的伟大想法是什么 像是旅馆失火吗
And what was the big idea of bursting in here like the hotel was on fire?
不可能进入房♥间的 先生
That’s no way to enter a room, sir!
我们看到山德士被锁在他的房♥门外
We saw Sandoz get locked out of his room.
在三楼
On the third floor?