亲爱的芮根
Beloved Regan.
你姐姐不是东西
Thy sister’s naught.
芮根 她牙尖嘴利
O, Regan, she hath tied
不近人情 就像个秃鹫
sharp-toothed unkindness, like a vulture, here.
你可能不相信
I can scarce speak to thee
我的语言都不足以描述她的道德有多败坏…
thou’lt not believe with how depraved a quality…
芮根
O, Regan!
我请您耐心一点
I pray you, sir, take patience.
我觉得是您看错了她
I have hope you less know how to value her desert
而不是她对您失礼
than she to scant her duty.
怎么说
Say, how is that?
我认为姐姐最不可能做的事情就是
I cannot think my sister in the least
不尽义务
would fail her obligation.
若是如此 或许
If so, perchance, sir,
她确实约束了您随从们的行径
she have restrained the riots of your followers,
这体现了她顾虑周到
’tis on such ground,
理由充足
and to such wholesome end
说明她没有错
as clears her from all blame.
我诅咒她
My curses on her!
陛下 您老了
O, sir, you are old.
您已经到了风烛残年
Nature in you stands on the very verge of her confine.
您应该由比您自己更能照顾您的人
You should be ruled and led by some discretion
来约束与指导您
that discerns your state better than you yourself.
因此我求你
Therefore I pray you
回到姐姐那里去
that to our sister you do make return.
告诉她您看错她了
Say you have wronged her, sir.
然后请求她的原谅
Ask her forgiveness?
你听听这说的是人话吗
Do you but mark how this becomes the house?
亲爱的女儿 我承认我老了
Dear daughter, I confess that I am old.
老年人确实多余
Age is unnecessary.
我跪下请求
On my knees I beg
你能赐予我住宿食物与衣服
you’ll vouchsafe me raiment, bed and food.
陛下 不要搞这些难看的把戏
Good sir, no more. These are unsightly tricks.
回到我姐姐那里去
Return you to my sister.
绝不 芮根
Never, Regan!
她令我的侍卫裁减了一半
She hath abated me of half my train,
对我施以颜色
Looked black upon me,
以毒蛇般的舌头
struck me with her tongue most serpent-like,
刺伤我的心
upon the very heart.
愿上天所有的积怒
All the stored vengeances of heaven
降临在她忘恩负义的头上
fall on her ingrateful top!
不详的妖风啊
Strike her young bones,
请你无情地打击她未出生的骨肉吧
you taking airs, with lameness!
别说了 陛下
Fie, sir, fie!
敏捷的闪电啊
You nimble lightnings,
将你的烈焰照瞎她恶毒的眼睛
dart your blinding flames into her scornful eyes!
烈日从沼泽中蒸发出的浓雾啊
Infect her beauty, ou fen-sucked fogs,
毁了她的容貌
drawn by the powerful sun to fall and blister!
圣母玛利亚啊
O, the blest gods!
你要是发起脾气来 是不是也要同样诅咒我
So will you wish on me when the rash mood is on.
不会的 芮根
No, Regan,
我永远不会诅咒你
thou shalt never have my curse.
你温柔的本性
Thy tender-hefted nature
不会使你变得凶残
will not give thee o’er to harshness.
她的眼神凶残
Her eyes are fierce,
而你的确舒服可人
but thine do comfort and not burn.
你更加明白责任义务
Thou better knowst the offices of nature,
亲情纽带
bond of childhood,
礼貌和恩义
Effects of courtesy, dues of gratitude.
我给你的那一半国土
Thy half o’ the kingdom hast thou not forgot,
你还没有忘记
wherein I thee endowed.
陛下 有话直说吧
Good sir, to the purpose.
是谁把我的侍从锁上脚枷的
Who put my man in the stocks?
哪里来的喇叭声
What trumpet’s that?
是我姐姐的
I know’t, my sister’s,
她信上说了要来的
this approves her letter that she would soon be here,
是你家夫人吗
is your lady come?
这奴才 依仗他女主人一时的恩宠
This is a slave, whose easy borrowed pride
便狐假虎威
dwells in the fickle grace of her he follows.
去 奴才 滚开
Out, varlet, from my sight!
殿下你这是什么意思
What means your grace?
谁给我的侍从上了脚枷
Who stocked my servant?!
芮根
Regan,
我猜你并不知情
I have good hope you did not know on’t.
是谁来了
Who comes here?
天啊
O heavens!
如果你真的爱护老人
If you do love old men,
如果孝道也是属于你的善行的
if your sweet sway allow obedience,
如果你也是个老人
if you yourselves are old,
请你帮助老年人吧
make it your cause.
派你的使者来帮助我吧
Send down, and take my part!
你看到我这把胡须不觉得羞愧吗
Art not ashamed to look upon this beard?
芮根 你居然还拉她的手
O, Regan, will you take her by the hand?
陛下 为什么不能拉手 我怎么冒犯你了
Why not by the hand, my lord? How have I offended?
老朽昏聩的人认为的罪状
All’s not offence that indiscretion finds
全都不是罪
and dotage terms so.
我的胸膛 太坚韧了
O sides, you are too tough!
你还能包涵吗
Will you yet hold?
为什么我的手下被上了脚枷
How came my man I’the stocks?
陛下 是我
I put him there, sir,
他的行为理应受到更重的刑罚
but his own disorders deserved much less advancement.
你 是你
You? Did you?!
父亲 你身子不好 不要逞强
I pray you, father, being weak, seem so.
要是您现在仍旧回去跟姐姐住在一起
If till the expiration of your month
裁撤您的一半的侍从
you will return and sojourn with my sister,
那么等住满了一个月 再到我这儿来吧
dismissing half your train, come then to me.
我现在不在自己家里
I am now from home and out of that provision
要供养您也有许多不便
which shall be needful for your entertainment.
回到她那去 裁撤五十名侍从
Return to her? And 50 men dismissed?

No!
我宁愿什么屋子也不要住
Rather I abjure all roofs
和无情的大自然抗争
and choose to wage against the enmity o’th’ air –
和豺狼鸱鸮做伴侣
To be a comrade with the wolf and owl –
忍♥受一切饥寒的痛苦
Necessity’s sharp pinch!
回去跟她住在一起
Return with her?
我宁愿到那娶了我的没有嫁奁的小女儿去的
Persuade me rather to be slave and sumpter
热情的法兰西国王的座前匍匐膝行
to this detested groom.
随你的便
At your choice, sir.
女儿 请你不要使我发疯
Now I prithee, daughter, do not make me mad –
我也不愿再来打扰你了 我的孩子
I will not trouble thee, my child.
再会吧
Farewell.
我们从此不再相见
We’ll no more meet, no more see one another.
可是你是我的肉
Yet thou art my flesh,
我的血 我的女儿
my blood, my daughter,
或者还不如说是我身体上的一个恶瘤
or rather a disease that’s in my flesh,
不能不承认你是我的
which I must needs call mine.
一个疖子
Thou art a boil,
一个瘀块
a plague sore,
一个肿毒的疔疮
or embossed carbuncle in my corrupted blood.
可是我不愿责骂你
But I’ll not chide thee.
让羞辱自己降临你的身上吧
Let shame come when it will –
我没有呼召它 我不要求天雷把你殛死
I do not call it, I do not bid the thunder-bearer shoot,
我也不把你的忤逆向垂察善恶的天神控诉
nor tell tales of thee to high-judging Jove.
你回去仔细想一想 趁早痛改前非
Mend when thou canst, be better at thy leisure,
我可以忍♥耐
I can be patient,
我可以带着我的一百个骑士 跟芮根住在一起
I can stay with Regan, I and my hundred knights.
那绝对不行
Not altogether so, sir.
现在还轮不到我
I looked not for you yet,
我也没有预备好招待您的礼数
nor am provided for your fit welcome.
父亲 听我姐姐的话吧
Give ear, sir, to my sister –

你的评论可以尖锐,也可以湿疣!