她说您必须签字
That you must sign.
她当然要说我必须签字
But of course she said I must.
陛下 您想过民众要是
Your Majesty, have you thought what people will,
听到您推迟御准
when hearing that you have reserved assent,
会做出什么事吗
be wont to do?
这会导致分♥裂♥丛生
Division would result.
我请求您 先生 我们在以后的年月里
I beg you, sir, let’s talk some more
可再就此事深入讨论 但
as months and years go on, but…
现在只能如此
here it is.
也许您可以拿起笔来签署这项法案
Perhaps you could just get your pen and sign the bill.
你们连一个字都没改吗
You have not changed a word?
只字未改
It is the same.
如果有这样可行的办法 让我们双方都满意
Were there solution evident that could enable both of us to have our way
您应该立即采取它
and… take it in an instant.
就我所知您是在凭良心行事
For I know you’re acting out of conscience.
没错 出于良心我认为
That’s right, and in good conscience I have thought
当时机到了 我肯定会签字
that, come the moment, surely I could sign.
但当这笔即将触及纸张
But when the pen approaches paper thus,
御准即将永久生效之时
about to store forever my assent,
笔墨干涸
the pen dries up.
手不能书
My hand, it cannot write.
因为一旦我的姓名作为例行程序被签署
For if my name is given through routine,
而不是因为它代表我的看法
and not because it represents my view,
那不久之后我将失去我的姓名
then soon I’ll have no name,
成为无名之人 我
and nameless, I…
我就失去了自我
..have not myself.
这就是您的角色 您必须要
This is your role. You surely must have…
自新闻出现以来
Not since the news was born
从没有政♥府♥和国家被允许 用牢狱的威胁
has Government and State been there allowed to use the threat of jail
去阻止媒体报道被他们认定为不可接受的新闻
to stop the presses based on what THEY deem is unacceptable.
女王在她统治的年月里
The Queen did not, in all her years bethroned,
也没有让这样的法律通过
face laws like this to pass.
我万分赞同 因为 女王在位时 面临着更大的革命
I do agree. For, in her time, she faced far greater revolution.
她失去了一个帝国
When she lost an empire.
她见证了的变革 从存在数代的工会煤矿及工厂开始
She oversaw the alteration from the unions, mines and factories that stood for generations,
到后来撒切尔主义和里根方针称霸世界
to a world that, Thatcherated, Reaganised,
这样的世界将利益凌驾于尊严之上
did place the profit higher value than the pride belonging to the man
凌驾于那些普通人的尊严之上
who travels, day by day, upon the Clapham omnibus.
但是即便如此
And through all this,
当有女王讨厌的首相呈上法律
when laws arrived from those prime ministers she hated,
这样的法律规定着她肯定不赞成的事
doing things of which I’m sure she never would approve,
她却还是会签名
she still did sign.
女王尊重给予当选者制定法律权力的所有投票
Respected all the votes empowering those elect to make the law.
她总会签字 她总会批准
She always signed. She always gave assent.
但
Well…
我做不到
I cannot.
抱歉 陛下 但如果就这样空手而归
I’m sorry, sir, but if I leave this room
得不到”查理国王”的签名 我就无法隐瞒此事
without “King Charles” imprinted there below, I cannot keep it secret.
另外 我能保证无需您的批准 这部法案也能通过
And in addition, I’ll ensure this bill becomes the law without your royal assent.
重新起草法案
Redraft the law
更改条例捍卫新闻媒体的独♥立♥ 再拿过来
with changes that defend the independence of the press and send it back,
我就会立马签名
and I will sign immediately.
陛下
Your Majesty…
不行
no.
您真想这么做吗
You are sure that this is what you want to do?
没有了我的观点和灵魂
Without my voice and spirit,
我一无是处
I am dust.
这并不是我想要的
This is not what I want…
而是我必须做的
But what I must.
对这关乎个人隐私以及新闻业规范的法案
With the bill concerning privacy and the statutory regulation of the press,
国王竟出乎意料地拒绝批准
the King has unexpectedly refused to grant assent.
即使知道御准只是仪式性环节而无实质效用
And despite his knowledge that the royal assent is ceremonial and not a tool,
他依然拒不签字
he has continued to withhold his pen.
因此 在此 我必须要强调
So, here I say, importantly,
我们首先要捍卫民♥主♥本身
that first we must defend democracy itself.
我此刻正身处白金汉宫向各位讲话 实属无奈
I am speaking from the palace to you all… reluctantly.
我本寄希望于大臣们能与我共力寻求一个方案
I had a hope my ministers and I could find a way
以避免如今的公开对抗
to circumvent a public feud like this.
但是 我出于良知
But, driven by my conscience,
拒绝签署一部法律
I have declined to pass a law
因为它会给政♥府♥以权利与权力
that would give Government the right and power
来限制新闻出版业的言论自♥由♥
to restrict what is acceptable to say in print.
一旦脆弱的政客们能以公众敏感性为由
Once fragile politicians can, whilst claiming public sensitivity,
对新闻内容进行审查
go censoring what is written or not,
则会更易滋生政♥治♥腐♥败♥
it will be easier to govern as corrupt
而免受相关责任追究
than bother being held unto account.
因此我 置身于这些乌烟瘴气的利益斗争之外
And therefore I, who stand outside the rough and tumble of expedience,
谨言慎行
do caution…
并望他们三思
and ask they think again.
到目前为止 他们拒绝了
So far, they have refused.
权衡 这对政♥府♥形象的影响
..Weight, influence to the shaping of the Government.
同意 同意
Hear, hear.
因此 我 作为国王
So now do I, as King and…
以及人♥民♥的公仆
servant to the populace…
恳求你们的理解和信任
..request your understanding and your trust
这一少有但必要的行为
that this, a rare but necessary act,
不是我越俎代庖
is not me stepping too far from the throne,
而是行使我的职责 践行君主所立的誓言
but is my duty, and fulfilling what the king or queen is sworn by oath to do.
你迟到了
You’re late.
假如你看了新闻 可能就会知道
Well, if you’d seen the news, perhaps you’d realised
我一直很忙
I’ve been rather busy.
那么 什么事
So, what’s wrong?
报纸上关于我和哈里的报道越来越多
Increasingly, there’s stories in the papers about me and Harry.
我觉得他们认为我是个不寻常的女友
I suppose they think that I’m a quite unusual match
就因为我的阶级
because of class.
是啊 这可一点都不让我惊讶
Yes, well, that’s hardly a surprise.
三年前 我结识一个叫凡的男孩
Three years ago, I knew a boy called Fin,
说实话 他是个混♥蛋♥
who was a dick, if truth be told.
因为我俩身处异地 所以通过短♥信♥传情
But because we lived in different cities, did text our love.
我在猜接下来会发生什么
I’m guessing where this goes.
一天我心血来潮 编辑了
One day, when I was in the mood, I had composed
一条短♥信♥表达爱意什么的
a text expressing love and stuff,
接着就发了出去
which then I sent…
但是如今他再次找上我 并以此作为威胁
..But now he contacts me again and makes a threat.
他就凭一条小小的短♥信♥威胁你吗
He threatens you with one small text?
是的 嗯 事实上 那里面还有附件
Yeah, well, in truth, it did contain additional form.
你是说 – 一些比较有艺术性的自♥拍♥ 行了吧
You mean…? – Some pictures of myself that were artistic, yeah?
他在邮件里说看到新闻了
His e-mail said he’d seen the news,
并且说既然我追到了金主 他也应有份
and since I was so clearly after gold, he should have his.
他说如果我不给钱
He said if I do not pay up,
周日就把照片发给太阳报
he’d send the photo to the Sun on Sunday.
这是勒索 所以你可以寻求警方帮助
It’s blackmail, so you could approach police –
但我得警告你 他们的嘴巴就像手提袋那样不牢靠
but they, I warn you, leak like carrier bags,
而且现今也对皇室没什么好感
and have no love for matters Royal these days.
如果你真心想要帮王子
If truly you wish to save the Prince,
或许应该选择离开他
perhaps you need to leave his side,
这样那男人就不能以此威胁你了
and so doing take from this man the power he now has.
如果哈里或国王陷入此困境 你肯定会有所作为
If this was Harry or the King, you would do something.
你还没认清 小姐 你不属于这个家族
You don’t understand, miss, you are not part of the family.
你偏偏挑了这种时候
Of all the moments you could pick.
民调显示民众基本均分为两派
Opinion polls suggest the people are divided almost equally
认为拒不签字是我的权利
as to if my non-signing is within my rights…
亦或不是
..or not.
但我远没指望过会有一半人支持我
But that half’s far more than I expected would agree with me on this.
不管别人如何看待此事
Whatever many like to think,
总是有一条智慧而古老的纽带
there is a wise and ancient bond
维系着王室和这美丽岛国民众的关系
between the Crown and population of this pleasant isle.
查尔斯 你有访客
Charles, you have a visitor.
哦 别是埃文斯先生 不 我累坏了
Oh, not Mr. Evans? No, I’m tired.
是斯蒂文斯女士
It’s Mrs. Stevens.